Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

PerOlus posted:

I actually liked the Tomb of the Giants, even though it was a frustrating place. (yeah I liked Blighttown too...)

Liked the concept of a dark area, and seeing the demon ruins in the distance was cool too. The enemies were frightening in the dark, and I liked the variation the darkness created in the fights - if you were close enough to see the telegraphing of the coming attacks, you were probably too close to dodge it. Frustrating, and I died many times, but still enjoyed it.

There are a couple of places throughout the world where you can see other places you've been/will go. It's kind of baffling sometimes to realize how close you are to some place you've already traveled.

That said, I have yet to encounter a game that actually made me like darkness. It's even worse in this game because I know the pitch black is only there to make me walk back from my last bonfire over and over if I take a bad step. Fortunately, though, if you go through the right area before the Tomb, the darkness isn't so much of a problem.

Edit:

Putting Lightning on the Winged Spear you can find near the beginning of the game is almost unfair. Being able to stab through blocking and getting all that extra damage is extremely helpful. I wonder, though, if the enemy resistances will scale in subsequent playthroughs and make elemental damage ineffective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Does your SL affect your ability to help people? I dropped a summon sign near S&O and no one has bitten yet, I'm wondering if my SL is too high (60) or it's just late.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
So Blighttown is awful, but I'm a Chaos Servant and need to go down there to upgrade my flame and deposit humanity. Is there a safer way than just barging in the front door and re-doing the whole loving area every time?

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Does your SL affect your ability to help people? I dropped a summon sign near S&O and no one has bitten yet, I'm wondering if my SL is too high (60) or it's just late.

There's a 20 level range (10 below, 10 above) for most multiplayer stuff. The only exceptions are the Darkmoon and Forest Hunter covenants. Invaders from those two can be of any level difference.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thoom posted:

So Blighttown is awful, but I'm a Chaos Servant and need to go down there to upgrade my flame and deposit humanity. Is there a safer way than just barging in the front door and re-doing the whole loving area every time?
Wait until you get the ability to teleport between bonfires.

Or you could use the valley of the dragons entrance, it is relatively close to the bottom.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I am a zweihander wielding chaos fireball throwing nazgul.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone actually got the dragon body stone yet? I need to see how ridiculous this looks but I can't find so much as a picture of it. Just the thought of making a low level PVP character with a dragon body sounds amazing. I would probably confuse the poo poo out of some people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

a shameful boehner posted:

I am a zweihander wielding chaos fireball throwing nazgul.
So are like half of all the people I have played online with.

Myself I'm a zweihander wielding chaos fireball throwing...elite knight armored guy with a child pinwheel mask.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm thinking of getting a spear to +10 (weapon spoilers)and using the moonlight butterfly's soul, just so I have a unique weapon. My +5 battleaxe which I was saving for +10 I made divine for the Catacombs.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm thinking of getting a spear to +10 (weapon spoilers)and using the moonlight butterfly's soul, just so I have a unique weapon. My +5 battleaxe which I was saving for +10 I made divine for the Catacombs.

Don't do it. Make the shield instead. Not only is it the better choice, but it can serve as the best weapon in the game if you also bring along the repair sorcery.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Helpful little hint about that soul. The Moonlight Butterfly soul is used to make the Crystal Ring Shield, which basically turns you into Captain America. The shield's Left hand alternate attack throws it at the enemy. The damage of the throw is based on double the attack power of your right hand weapon. It costs 4 durability per throw, but keep a supply of Resin or just repair frequently. It's goddamn ridiculous, especially with some of the easy-to-get powerful weapons.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

You can if you want and you're not interested in cheesing with a shield, but expect a challenge because all the boss weapons are weak and that's one of the weakest.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
Does Iron Skin scale with the Pyro Hand at all?

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Adrian Owlsley posted:

You can if you want and you're not interested in cheesing with a shield, but expect a challenge because all the boss weapons are weak and that's one of the weakest.

That's not entirely accurate. I can think of two boss soul swords off the top of my head that scale well with stats, and one of those I believe can be one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

UberChair posted:

Does Iron Skin scale with Pyro Hand at all
I know that Iron Flesh automatically reduces oncoming damage to 30% of the amount you would receive (so if it was a 100 damage hit, you'd only be hit for 30). What I'm not sure about is where that effect activates. It seems that the armor you have on is taken into account before the Iron Flesh bonuses apply. The same goes for poise, I believe. I haven't tested it much, but I'm fairly certain that the Pyro Hand does nothing to the spell itself.

DarkArchimedes fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 17, 2011

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

UberChair posted:

Does Iron Skin scale with the Pyro Hand at all?

I know that Lingering Dragoncrest Ring would make it last longer, but I think the actual defense bonus is static.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Hey now, don't you be spreading no filth and lies about my Queelag's Furyblade. It's an awesome weapon - at +5 and 10 Humanity, it outdamages my +4 Lightning Iaito by a fair margin, roughly matches its speed, is lighter, and I didn't have to use a slab to +5 it.

The only downside? No kick boo hoo hoo :qq:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

RedTonic posted:

Yeah, that's why I scare-quoted it. I don't like Gwyn or Frampt at this point... I kinda wished I'd gone along with Kaathe. Next playthrough!

Same. I learned from reading Michael Moorcock novels in my youth, that all gods are pricks and deserve to die.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

apple posted:

I know that Lingering Dragoncrest Ring would make it last longer, but I think the actual defense bonus is static.

Where do I obtain this ring?

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Is there another way to take care of the red dragon on the bridge?

I did it by running under the bridge to where the poison rats are, climbing the ladder, killing the black knight at the top of the tower and then I killed the dragon away with like a single arrow from the tower, I shot it, it disappeared and I got 10k souls

Is there a 'legit' strategy for the dragon because I dont want to have to rely on a glitch in a NG+

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

doomfunk posted:

Hey now, don't you be spreading no filth and lies about my Queelag's Furyblade. It's an awesome weapon - at +5 and 10 Humanity, it outdamages my +4 Lightning Iaito by a fair margin, roughly matches its speed, is lighter, and I didn't have to use a slab to +5 it.

Honestly, by the time you get that sword, most of the enemies that are worth kicking either can't hurt you, or die in two hits. I can't think of anything I kicked in the last segment of the game, either because it was too big to be kicked, or just died too fast.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

e: ^^^ Yeah, against the knights in Anor Londo I've actually come to prefer the slash-flip as it works as a brief stagger and backstep in one.

Lunixnerd posted:

Is there a 'legit' strategy for the dragon because I dont want to have to rely on a glitch in a NG+

Lure it out onto the bridge by standing at the top of the stairs there, duck into one of the alcoves to avoid his fiery breath, and hack at him while skirting around his legs.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Do weapons stop scaling with stats after a certain point? I've gotten my Dex to 41 and it seems the only thing that's affected by it rising anymore is my Bow, and only barely then. Getting the feeling I may've wasted an absolute ton of levels getting it to that point.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

doomfunk posted:

e: ^^^ Yeah, against the knights in Anor Londo I've actually come to prefer the slash-flip as it works as a brief stagger and backstep in one.

Lure it out onto the bridge by standing at the top of the stairs there, duck into one of the alcoves to avoid his fiery breath, and hack at him while skirting around his legs.

This works until he does his "Shuttle liftoff" attack. I call it that, because he just springs into the air with a gi-loving-gantic rocket blast under him. Eats right through my block/fire resist gear.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Well, clearly you should've panicked and flipped away off the bridge!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I got my Queelag's Furyblade to +5 and it's pretty decent. I'm not investing overly much in agility or strength (about 25 in each). Is there a better weapon for me right now or should I stick to the spider leg?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

UberChair posted:

Sorcerer NPC sells it to you after you save him on the way to the Depths, same area where you fight the Capra demon + dogs. If you haven't saved the guy, you'll need to get the residence key from the first undead merchant in undead burg.

It's kind of pricey though, it was 20k souls iirc. It's damage counterpart, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, is well worth it if you want to max out the damage off your damage spells (also sold by the same guy)

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

apple posted:

For the record, this applies to all buff magic as well: All the weapon, shield and damage reduction enchantments have static bonuses that DO NOT scale with Magic Power (which scales with Int on wands, Faith on Talismans, and with upgrades on Pyromancer Flames) so Strength/Dex builds can use them with impunity without investing too much into other stats.

UberChair posted:

Griggs of Vinheim (the first Sorcery trainer) sells it for 20k souls.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

doomfunk posted:

It also has a highly undesirable moveset without outperforming normal chaos weapons

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

ArchRanger posted:

Do weapons stop scaling with stats after a certain point? I've gotten my Dex to 41 and it seems the only thing that's affected by it rising anymore is my Bow, and only barely then. Getting the feeling I may've wasted an absolute ton of levels getting it to that point.

There's not any good math on it that I've seen, but once you get over 40, the scaling appears to drop off. It's why weapons with multiple scalings, or scaling + elemental are generally preferred. Having your Dex at 41 is good, I'd say, cause you've crossed over the threshold without wasting any levels.

I don't know how you're playing the game, but there are plenty of good Str/Dex weapons if you wanted to start dropping into another stat.

Adrian Owlsley posted:

It also has a highly undesirable moveset without outperforming normal chaos weapons

My experience is that a very small percentage of players actually care about the viability of the move set compared to something that does reasonable damage that gets them through the game. As far as normal single player is concerned, I think worrying about min-maxing move sets is over-rated and generally unnecessary if you just want to play through the game once or twice.

DarkArchimedes fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 17, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Okay, sure, but it's on fire.

GreenMarine posted:

I got my Queelag's Furyblade to +5 and it's pretty decent. I'm not investing overly much in agility or strength (about 25 in each). Is there a better weapon for me right now or should I stick to the spider leg?

The furyblade benefits more from dex but with that str you might look at taking a greatsword with a 24 str req to the Flame or Lightning enchants. Might outdamage Queelag due to higher base.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psyker posted:

This works until he does his "Shuttle liftoff" attack. I call it that, because he just springs into the air with a gi-loving-gantic rocket blast under him. Eats right through my block/fire resist gear.

If you stay near the stairs you can run down and avoid all damage from that move. Otherwise it's completely unavoidable and basically a guaranteed death (even if you survive it, he likes to do it five times in a row).

That's how I managed to kill it. It's a real pain.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

DarkArchimedes posted:

There's not any good math on it that I've seen, but once you get over 40, the scaling appears to drop off. It's why weapons with multiple scalings, or scaling + elemental are generally preferred. Having your Dex at 41 is good, I'd say, cause you've crossed over the threshold without wasting any levels.

I don't know how you're playing the game, but there are plenty of good Str/Dex weapons if you wanted to start dropping into another stat.

My experience is that a very small percentage of players actually care about the viability of the move set compared to something that does reasonable damage that gets them through the game. As far as normal single player is concerned, I think worrying about min-maxing move sets is over-rated and generally unnecessary if you just want to play through the game once or twice.

I basically went into the game blind until I heard about the Furysword (kinda a coincidence that people are talking about it now) and worked towards it, figuring it'd be a good dex-based character, since the only planning that happened was "I'm a thief, I should pump Dex!" Was actually about to ask if there might be something better for me than my +5 Furyblade and +4 Lightning Spear that I should look into.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

Scaling gets exponentially lower the more stats you invest. The gains from 10-20 are MUCH higher than the gains from 40-50. It's really not worth investing more than 40 in most stats. The ONLY reason why you'd want to take a stat up to 50 (namely for Strength, Intelligence and Faith) is to hit the stat requirements for gear and spells. Even then, Intelligence and Faith are the only stats where that MIGHT be worth it; 50 Strength only allows you to one-hand weapons that aren't that great and use a shield that's WAY too heavy to be feasible, even with your encumbrance boosted by rings.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jetpack Postman posted:

Scaling gets exponentially lower the more stats you invest. The gains from 10-20 are MUCH higher than the gains from 40-50. It's really not worth investing more than 40 in most stats. The ONLY reason why you'd want to take a stat up to 50 (namely for Strength, Intelligence and Faith) is to hit the stat requirements for gear and spells. Even then, Intelligence and Faith are the only stats where that MIGHT be worth it; 50 Strength only allows you to one-hand weapons that aren't that great and use a shield that's WAY too heavy to be feasible, even with your encumbrance boosted by rings.

I've noticed this too - it seems kind of silly that stats can go up to 99 when most of them effectively stop doing anything past 50 (or in the case of Attunement, LITERALLY stop doing anything). On the one hand I'm glad you don't have to invest a ridiculous amount into a single stat for it to be good, on the other hand I wonder why they didn't just set the caps to 50 in the first place.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
So when can I enchant my weapon with other properties? I can enchant divine weapons since I got a Divine Spark from the Moonlight Butterfly boss but not fire or lightning. I've just finished blight town (phew!) if that means anything :)

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Do we have a translation of the upcoming patch notes yet?

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

Sounds like a fog ring nerf.

Google's attempt to translate japanese:

- Fixed cases of the major improvements -
some magic · review of the effect
 of magic shield · strong magic shield
 · History of the Peace moderate
 fog, etc. · Ring
· use infinite magic and item
attributes for the weapon · review of the balance of the weapon skills
• Conditional matching adjustments
, such as trouble reading maps at switching ·
Improved ※ The details of the items will be announced at a later date.

I read this as

A review of item stats. Some new items. Improve matchmaking. Nerfs to broken rings.

HISTORY OF THE PEACE MODERATE

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 17, 2011

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Is it feasible to get the ability to invade dudes at an extremely low level? I guess you have to basically beat the game which I haven't done with a regular character yet, but I have a level six dude with a drake's sword, finishing up Blight Town now, and it would be cool to just slaughter people trying to get help for the bell gargoyle or whatever.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
Patch notes, eh? I just hope they bring my Divine Lucerne up to par. Otherwise I'm just going to stick with a Lightning Halberd.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

GreenMarine posted:

Do we have a translation of the upcoming patch notes yet?

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

Sounds like a fog ring nerf.

Google's attempt to translate japanese:

- Fixed cases of the major improvements -
some magic · review of the effect
 of magic shield · strong magic shield
 · History of the Peace moderate
 fog, etc. · Ring
· use infinite magic and item
attributes for the weapon · review of the balance of the weapon skills
• Conditional matching adjustments
, such as trouble reading maps at switching ·
Improved ※ The details of the items will be announced at a later date.

I read this as

A review of item stats. Some new items. Improve matchmaking. Nerfs to broken rings.

HISTORY OF THE PEACE MODERATE

It sounds like they're addressing many of the concerns people have, especially with the matchmaking. I don't use Sorcery so I dunno if their mention of reviewing the strength of magic implies a nerf or a buff.

Also I wonder if their mention of "Attribute Weapons" is in reference to the relative strength of elemental weapons or about the problem with stat scaling. Even if you look up what those kanji mean, who knows what those terms specifically refer to within the game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Is there a way to get the iron round shield besides killing shiva?

• Locked thread