Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Boxing Snatcher posted:

I am loving the hell out of this game, but it hates me so much and that is the way I like it. I really enjoy the feeling of killing a huge enemy thinking "Ok there is only one of those right?" then walking over a hill to see 3 more.
I just got to theMoonlight Butterfly and it is kicking my rear end so hard. Is anyone else having trouble with it?
In this game I know you can call for other to help you, but I just don't feel good about it. I feel like I would be cheating myself a bit. That being said, I cannot wait to invade people. I never got to do it in Demon's Souls.

You would be cheating yourself. :)

I beat Demon's Souls multiple times and I've summoned ONE person as a blue, and that was good ol' Sheep-Goats.

I wonder why everyone is having an issue with Amazon, mine's on it's way to my house right now, and I preordered after some of the people in this thread.

Edit: I will mention that I did, however, invade the gently caress out of people :black101:

Draven fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

So I played Demon's Souls and beat it as a thief guy with no miracles or spells or a shield first time (I didn't realise that was some sort of special challenge thing, i just like themed characters). Is the same sort of thing viable in this one or should I try out something different?

There's also something my friend told me about, where apparently you can make agreements with some powerful dudes, and he said he saw someone break one of the agreements on a stream and the dude got cursed with an egg thing with like a worm inside that would attack dudes around him. Could I break a whole lot of agreements and become mighty worm man or some sort of hideous monster?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I ordered from Amazon USA but to an address out of the country, and mine shipped yesterday evening, to get here on Thursday (For me? I'm not even sure how time works on Amazon tracking). I dunno if pre-order date has anything to do with it, because I sure as hell am not just a convenient person for Amazon to ship to.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My copy is out for delivery.

I guess I've got a few more hours before I have to make my decision on what class I want to start with. I was thinking Knight or Pyromancer.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So I played Demon's Souls and beat it as a thief guy with no miracles or spells or a shield first time (I didn't realise that was some sort of special challenge thing, i just like themed characters). Is the same sort of thing viable in this one or should I try out something different?

There's also something my friend told me about, where apparently you can make agreements with some powerful dudes, and he said he saw someone break one of the agreements on a stream and the dude got cursed with an egg thing with like a worm inside that would attack dudes around him. Could I break a whole lot of agreements and become mighty worm man or some sort of hideous monster?

There are some significantly monster-ish transformations you can go through by strengthening your bond with some covenants.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

The whole covenant thing is really poorly explained, and in my 20 hours so far it hasn't made one jot of difference. It seems you join them to gain specific abilities and they have 'rules'.

My character got his head turned into a freaky egg without making any kind of agreement with anyone. I killed an NPC that I thought was an enemy and I think this was my punishment for it. I wish I knew how to get rid of it too, because it looks so loving stupid.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Dan Didio posted:

There are some significantly monster-ish transformations you can go through by strengthening your bond with some covenants.

Blargh now I have that issue of deciding whether I want to look up this stuff on a wiki and partially spoil the game for myself or if I want to try and find it myself but miss out on something minor-but-important and never get the things I want.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Blargh now I have that issue of deciding whether I want to look up this stuff on a wiki and partially spoil the game for myself or if I want to try and find it myself but miss out on something minor-but-important and never get the things I want.

Keep in mind that people have mentioned that parts of the game are intentionally badly explained because they like to encourage the sort of community building that comes from people using wikis etc.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Boxing Snatcher posted:

I just got to theMoonlight Butterfly and it is kicking my rear end so hard. Is anyone else having trouble with it?
In this game I know you can call for other to help you, but I just don't feel good about it. I feel like I would be cheating myself a bit. That being said, I cannot wait to invade people. I never got to do it in Demon's Souls.

All of its attacks are magic-based. If you grab a high magic reduction shield, you can block everything. You just wait until it latches onto the side, switch to two-hander then whack away.

For a high magic reduction shield (80%), there is one back at the Undead Asylum. The Knight from tutorial will come back as an undead, defeat him for the shield

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tolain posted:

So I'm really on the wall about which version to pick up. I want to pick it up on 360, but am worried its community will be way smaller due to the lack of japenese players and existing fanbase. Any opinions on this? I have both consoles, 360 is just my system of choice.

I am choosing the PS3 because I tried using the Xbox controller while trying to press the left and right bumper buttons over and over again, and it was awkward for me. I was told you also should take into account the position of the D-Pad as you will use that alot, and on the PS3 controller it is in a better spot for this particular game. I am sure it will be fine on both systems however.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

These are the covenants you can form with groups in the game, you can do various things to make some kind of progress with them, like giving up humanity or handing over items, there are some cool rewards for progressing with them, and some interesting punishments.

Regarding what happened to Leyburn: Apparently that egg will hatch after you get a certain amount of souls, as you collect souls it should move through various stages until it hatches which replaces your kick with a new, slower, attack

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Is there a rough ordering of the optimal path through the beginning of the game yet? I don't have much time to play games right now and this would help avoid a few hours of trying new paths and backtracking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yep Amazon just refunded me a whole ninety nine cents for failing to ship today, and now when I try to cancel it says "We're sorry. An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Please try again in a few minutes."

Of course it's been an hour, and I've got to go to work, so by the time I get home (scheduled early, to play Dark Souls :downs: ), it will claim to have shipped

Real slick, Amazon, real goddamn slick t:mad:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
You should be able to apologise to an NPC if you only hit them once!

It's not my fault you look like a hideous monster in a land full of hostile and deadly monsters.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Some NPCs can take one or two hits before they freak out. I think it would be too easy to just put your shield up and apologize.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Leyburn posted:

You should be able to apologise to an NPC if you only hit them once!

It's not my fault you look like a hideous monster in a land full of hostile and deadly monsters.

Well now that you've said that, I'm going to play it safe and assume every new creature I encounter may be an NPC.

And then I'll get killed for it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Varkas posted:

Well now that you've said that, I'm going to play it safe and assume every new creature I encounter may be an NPC.

Protip: If you can't target it. It's not hostile. This is the lesson I have learned.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The.GreyWolf posted:

Some NPCs can take one or two hits before they freak out. I think it would be too easy to just put your shield up and apologize.

This depends on how much damage you do; at least, it did in Demon's Souls.

So hitting them with a strong attack will make them hostile quicker than a light attack.

VVV He was just hungry. :3:VVV

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Varkas posted:

Go up to everything, shield raised, and then extend your hand beyond the shield in greeting, if your hand gets bitten off then it might not be an NPC, you never know, though!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

empathe posted:

Is there a rough ordering of the optimal path through the beginning of the game yet? I don't have much time to play games right now and this would help avoid a few hours of trying new paths and backtracking.

After the tutorial area, there's a cliff with a small stone path on the side that leads up to some basic undead enemies, head that way first into the Undead Burg area and explore thoroughly. The most important thing in the Burg itself IMO is the Repairbox, it costs 3000 souls but is a reusable item that lets you repair your weapons at any bonfire instead of having to backtrack to the blacksmith NPCs. Make sure to repair your stuff regularly as the cost ramps up significantly the more worn down the item gets.

Also if you want to save a lot of time learn to backstab. Each enemy has some quirk in their moveset or how they track you that will let you get behind them even while in combat. The sweet spot is to have your character behind and slightly to the right of the enemy. Any weapon can backstab except possibly for the whip (though I haven't played around with it yet).

You get a mace pretty early on too. A great way to take out a bunch of weak enemies at once is to wait til they're all near each other, then do the forward+R2 jumping attack with the mace. Even with moderate strength/etc. it will one shot three or even four of them simultaneously unless they have armor on, in which case another hit from anything will finish the job. Great time saver when you want to get from a checkpoint to wherever you died previously/need to go.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 4, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just went out and bought the game at the local bestbuy for PS3. I can say that man, it is dark. In the initial gamma adjustment, I had to max out my brightness to even see a faint outline of the fire, and couldn't see whatever drat dragon they are talking about.

Not knowing much about the game or its predecessor, is there any suggested starting class? I am sitting on the screen now, looking up some info and considering my options.

Edit: Hmm, I guess this sounds like a good gift choice.

code:
Pendant
An item filled with blocked memories. Usage unknown, but recommended first Gift by the game's director, Miyazaki.
Update: This is the only story-related gift. Useful if you are interested in the story, as it can effect later events in the game.
gently caress it, I'll start as a female cleric with the pendant. No idea if it is a good idea, but I want to do some playing.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 4, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I don't really get covenants. If you join one, and it gives you a lightning-spear kill-spell as a signing bonus, do you keep the spell if you leave?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I never played Demon's Souls but Warrior starts out with a 100% block shield so that's probably a solid beginner class.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just went out and bought the game at the local bestbuy for PS3. I can say that man, it is dark. In the initial gamma adjustment, I had to max out my brightness to even see a faint outline of the fire, and couldn't see whatever drat dragon they are talking about.

This worries me a little, my TV is darker than most. I had to max out the brightness for games like Bad Company 2 and CoD just to be able to see a little.

If it's as dark as Demon's Souls it shouldn't be too much of an issue, though I had trouble seeing things in world 2 and 5.

That's the brightness setting on the TV.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Smelly posted:

This worries me a little, my TV is darker than most. I had to max out the brightness for games like Bad Company 2 and CoD just to be able to see a little.

If it's as dark as Demon's Souls it shouldn't be too much of an issue, though I had trouble seeing things in world 2 and 5.

That's the brightness setting on the TV.

I have this issue with most games of this generation. Nothing "wrong" with my tv, I just set the in-game gamma up way higher than normal, then it looks perfect in-game. The game is dark but it shouldn't be THAT dark.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Yeah, most games have that picture in the gamma setting that should be "barely visible"

Setting it to be barely visible results in the game looking like Doom 3. :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

empathe posted:

From the starting area (edit: after the tutorial area) you can go down a spiral staircase, in the back to a graveyard, or up to an aqueduct and the castle walls. The castle is the way you want to go. There's always a way to progress the game in that direction. Don't get into the sewers until you have rung the first bell, buy some purification stones before you go down there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Smelly posted:

Yeah, most games have that picture in the gamma setting that should be "barely visible"

Setting it to be barely visible results in the game looking like Doom 3. :(

Is there a reason for this? It's literally EVERY game I've ever played that has it, I set it much higher than they want. It's not like I have super see in the dark vision or something where "barely visible" for me is so much darker than normal. It's been like this on every tv I've ever played games from this gen on actually.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Just a heads up to ps3 owners-

You know how in demons souls you could hastily turn off the ps3 or exit the game to erase the last 20 seconds of "im an idiot and fell off a cliff with 50k souls?"

Dont do that in dark souls. It auto saves constantly. And you will corrupt your saves and you will have to start over.

Like me
:negative:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there a reason for this? It's literally EVERY game I've ever played that has it, I set it much higher than they want. It's not like I have super see in the dark vision or something where "barely visible" for me is so much darker than normal. It's been like this on every tv I've ever played games from this gen on actually.

I don't know the reason, I just know that like you, I just pump it up until it starts turning white.

I don't even look at those things anymore, I don't know if they're trying to compensate for a GAME setting on TVs or something, it really is annoying though.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This might be an odd question but, how many NPC vendors are there for trading in souls for equipment etc? It's always seemed to me - watching the videos - that Dark Souls is rather devoid of just normal NPC guys willing to talk and trade. Everyone wants you dead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Double Monocle posted:

You know how in demons souls you could hastily turn off the ps3 or exit the game to erase the last 20 seconds of "im an idiot and fell off a cliff with 50k souls?"

Dont do that in dark souls. It auto saves constantly. And you will corrupt your saves and you will have to start over.

"My heart's breaking."

CyanideRush
Apr 14, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

After the tutorial area, there's a cliff with a small stone path on the side that leads up to some basic undead enemies, head that way first into the Undead Burg area and explore thoroughly. The most important thing in the Burg itself IMO is the Repairbox, it costs 3000 souls but is a reusable item that lets you repair your weapons at any bonfire instead of having to backtrack to the blacksmith NPCs. Make sure to repair your stuff regularly as the cost ramps up significantly the more worn down the item gets.

So I just buy this repair box once and can repair myself infinitely at bonfires?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Double Monocle posted:

Like me

Haha, you deserve this.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Neo Rasa posted:

"My heart's breaking."

Oh well, the character I was playing was a unholy mash of "i want to try everything and therefore will suck hard"

A tip for farming arrow money/low level souls-
once you kick down the ladder to the bonfire in the undead burbs you can rest, climb it, get the dragon to roast the undead on the walkway, and leave with 300 souls in about 15 seconds. Repeat to flavor.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
These invasion stones STILL aren't working. What gives?

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Mistle posted:

Anyone have any good experience about refurbished, or is a new really worth the investment?

I've had an old fatty refurbished 40gb for like 3 years, and it has never given me a single problem. I suppose you could get unlucky, though.

Alright, this bumpers-to-attack thing sounds kind of lame to me, but I could get over it if you can use private chat on the 360. I've heard you can't use party chat, but I haven't heard anything about private. Anybody know for sure? I just want to listen to my Demon's/Dark Souls-virgin friends wail and gnash their teeth.

I can't wait to get off work and die today :black101:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Double Monocle posted:

Like me

The real Dark Souls starts over here :smug:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think this counts as a spoiler since it's just talking about a feature from Demon's that makes an appearance here as well, but just in case...

You know how at the end of 3-1, you beat the boss and monsters come and carry you away to another place? That happens in Dark Souls too. Except that you can't get back, since there's no nexus to teleport to And then from there it's possible to wander into another place inside THERE that you can't get back from either. I'm two layers deep in poo poo now...

You can get back, Go and talk to them if you're talking about the gargoyles. :3: Where are you anyway, stuck at two knights with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Double Monocle posted:

Like me

Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.

• Locked thread