Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

NESguerilla posted:

Where can I find this iron flesh spell everyone is talking about?

Pyromancy spell you can get from the first pyro teacher. It ups your defensive stats to rediculous levels and gives you hyper armor essentially, it also ups your stability with shields I think. The downside is you essentially move like a brick afterwards. It helps with bosses as they'll just try to wail on you and then it comes a straight brawling match with them often. (Most cases you'll win if you have other pyro spells) It's a very powerful spell and one that pyros will rely on a lot.

Edit: Hur hur, I'm an idiot, sorry. I thought you said WHAT, not WHERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Dawnfire posted:

Pyromancy spell you can get from the first pyro teacher. It ups your defensive stats to rediculous levels and gives you hyper armor essentially, it also ups your stability with shields I think. The downside is you essentially move like a brick afterwards. It helps with bosses as they'll just try to wail on you and then it comes a straight brawling match with them often. (Most cases you'll win if you have other pyro spells) It's a very powerful spell and one that pyros will rely on a lot.

Edit: Hur hur, I'm an idiot, sorry. I thought you said WHAT, not WHERE.

Just don't make the mistake of trying to roll with it active.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Smelly posted:

Just don't make the mistake of trying to roll with it active.

Eh, it's like 2 seconds of downtime and at this point you're just a giant tank anyway so it doesn't matter much. If anything in pvp it might trick people into thinking you're vulnerable but then you can just turn around and burn/slash/rip their face off.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also remember that Iron Flesh protects you from Fire and Physical damage.

It doesn't do a thing against Magic and actually makes Lightning hurt more.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Funkmaster General posted:

Get more vitality? I had a pretty low vitality and it didn't one-shot me from full.

In any case, the better answer is to stay away from him so that he never gets a chance to do it. I took him out primarily with shots from the crystal ring shield.
I might as well just wear whatever maxes out my lightning resist or something and hope I don't get hit by a physical attack. I only have 16 vitality.

Actually, it turns out that I'm already wearing what gives me the best lightning resists if I don't want my speed to drop through the floor. I guess I need to lose that +20% pyromancy damage. I'll also forfeit Heal to get some more lightning resist.

edit: Whoa, the giants in the room before O&S can drop Titanite Chunks!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Dawnfire posted:

Eh, it's like 2 seconds of downtime and at this point you're just a giant tank anyway so it doesn't matter much. If anything in pvp it might trick people into thinking you're vulnerable but then you can just turn around and burn/slash/rip their face off.

However it's more likely that people will realize you're a sitting duck and just pelt you with spells.

I wonder what happens if a person affected by Iron Flesh walks into a Tranquil Walk of Peace aura... probably nothing.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Elysiume posted:

What the gently caress is mega-Ornstein's impale attack? I get one-shotted from full, and that thing is fast as hell. What am I even supposed to do against that?

He telegraphs the gently caress out of that move, if he is rearing back for a thrust and his spear is electrified, dodge the gently caress backwards. I once side-dodged and he tracked me with it, you gotta get the gently caress back.

EDIT: The only other move his weapon becomes electrified for is the spear throw, and that has a completely different windup, so basically if he's electrifying his polearm, get the gently caress away.
EDIT2: As long as you don't have the fatty roll, you'll dodge back far enough to dodge, easily.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 19, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

I might as well just wear whatever maxes out my lightning resist or something and hope I don't get hit by a physical attack. I only have 16 vitality.

Actually, it turns out that I'm already wearing what gives me the best lightning resists if I don't want my speed to drop through the floor. I guess I need to lose that +20% pyromancy damage. I'll also forfeit Heal to get some more lightning resist.

edit: Whoa, the giants in the room before O&S can drop Titanite Chunks!

You can also try just engaging him in close melee, as often that move will miss I think at close range or he just won't use it.

And yeah they do drop chunks, though there's a far better drop spot at the end of the game in the final zone. The enemies there have garunteed chunk drops I think.

@Heavy neutrino: Good point, could just equip a magic shield though? Stamina should regain enough between the casting times, or you can just toss spells at them too as most pyros double dip into sorcs as well.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Demitri Omni posted:

He telegraphs the gently caress out of that move, if he is rearing back for a thrust and his spear is electrified, dodge the gently caress backwards. I once side-dodged and he tracked me with it, you gotta get the gently caress back.

EDIT: The only other move his weapon becomes electrified for is the spear throw, and that has a completely different windup, so basically if he's electrifying his polearm, get the gently caress away.
EDIT2: As long as you don't have the fatty roll, you'll dodge back far enough to dodge, easily.
Hmm, guess I just need more practice. I think I'll get the +lightning resist ring to be safe anyway, so I can keep my +20% pyro damage helm. Hitting for 1200 damage per fireball is satisfying.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Regarding the toxic guys in painted world: I'm pretty sure they don't explode when I kill them with Quelagg's Fury Sword. Try using a fire weapon or pyromancy if you're worried about the toxic spray.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I rang the second bell and came back to firelink and the fire keeper is dead. I can't use the shrine and I can't upgrade the estrus flasks. What the hell? Am I totally hosed? How could this game be so cruel?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So, On the final boss, I figured I'd be getting a real fair even fight but nope, stunlocks and instakill hurrah!

Honestly, and this is coming from someone who is in love with this game, too much of the late game is focused on incredibly cheap fights. Don't know if Demon souls was the same but every other enemy in this is clipping through walls, sprinting at 3000mph and has a reach the length of Northern Russia.

maybe I just suck though. :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Filthy Hans posted:

I rang the second bell and came back to firelink and the fire keeper is dead. I can't use the shrine and I can't upgrade the estrus flasks. What the hell? Am I totally hosed? How could this game be so cruel?

Yurt 2.0 (the golden knight dude) that was in the cell in the belltower killed her. You can get revenge later for it and revive her.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

@Heavy neutrino: Good point, could just equip a magic shield though? Stamina should regain enough between the casting times, or you can just toss spells at them too as most pyros double dip into sorcs as well.

You should probably equip the Black Knight Shield instead because sorcery is much, much, much rarer than pyromancy in pvp.

Just watch your opponent and don't use Iron Flesh against anyone running around with soulmasses unless you enjoy being very dead very quick.

The biggest threat, however, is Wrath of Gods because it has such force that blocking a single cast of it annihilates your stamina bar. It normally only has 3 casts, but most people who I've seen use it went all in and attuned several copies. The only way to guard against Wrath of Gods is to run Tranquil Walk of Peace yourself and just walk back as he tries to get in close.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Filthy Hans posted:

You won't be needing the fire there for a while anyhow, and you can upgrade your flask in Quaalag's Domain or Anor Londo (if you just came back from blighttown you probably want to just wait until you reach Anor Londo).

Take the black eye orb with you to Anor Londo and you can get that fire back later.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So, On the final boss, I figured I'd be getting a real fair even fight but nope, stunlocks and instakill hurrah!

Honestly, and this is coming from someone who is in love with this game, too much of the late game is focused on incredibly cheap fights. Don't know if Demon souls was the same but every other enemy in this is clipping through walls, sprinting at 3000mph and has a reach the length of Northern Russia.

maybe I just suck though. :(

Parry him.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Elysiume posted:

What the gently caress is mega-Ornstein's impale attack? I get one-shotted from full, and that thing is fast as hell. What am I even supposed to do against that?

I've always killed Smough first and the best Ornsmough strategy I've found is to stay right between his legs at all times and keep attacking him with a horizontal slashing weapon (a scimitar is my favorite). The only attacks you need to watch out for are his quick jump back slash which you can block, his jump back lightning impale which you can dodge by staying very close, and his lightning butt pound which he telegraphs by flexing his knees and is dodgable by rolling backwards. Whenever he gets distance on you just run (but don't sprint) back in.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Don't underestimate how little his attacks will damage your endurance, he's even more blockable than most enemies in this game. And his grab is very telegraphed, just learn to watch for it and you'll be able to dodge it.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 19, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Nechronic posted:

Parry him.

You... You can parry Gwyn?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Elysiume posted:

Hmm, guess I just need more practice. I think I'll get the +lightning resist ring to be safe anyway, so I can keep my +20% pyro damage helm. Hitting for 1200 damage per fireball is satisfying.

I have been consistently helping to clear O&S with heavy armor (originally Havel's, but I just bought the Smough armor from the vendor) body and head with light legs and hands, with Havel's ring. I use an Eagle shield, which has good lightning resist. Don't hold your shield up, only put it up when a hit is coming, and you can tank the poo poo out of even the powered up versions. I only take a sliver of damage from either powered up boss's ground pound as long as I've got my shield up. I've had an easier time going with a tanky build on that boss fight than I have with trying any kind of resist build.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Yep.

It didn't help me much. :saddowns: I won by pure turtle power.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yes. For that reason he's possibly the easiest boss in the game.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Smelly posted:

Yep.

It didn't help me much. :saddowns: I won by pure turtle power.

I danced him around the columns and crystal ring shielded him.

Because I am a pussy.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

You won't be needing the fire there for a while anyhow, and you can upgrade your flask in Quaalag's Domain or Anor Londo (if you just came back from blighttown you probably want to just wait until you reach Anor Londo).

Take the black eye orb with you to Anor Londo and you can get that fire back later.

Oh thank god. I was ready to restart. I haven't made it to anor londo yet, I keep getting hosed by the ghosts and I hate marching from a far shrine to get there and get killed from a gaggle of wallclipping ghosts again.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, he's pretty easy to do too. He just opens with that huge overhead that I can't seem to dodge and goes to down on me, The one or two times I've got past that I slip up somewhere with the parrying and get my rear end handed to me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Filthy Hans posted:

Oh thank god. I was ready to restart. I haven't made it to anor londo yet, I keep getting hosed by the ghosts and I hate marching from a far shrine to get there and get killed from a gaggle of wallclipping ghosts again.
Are you talking about New Londo Ruins? You don't need to fight any ghosts at all to get to Anor Londo.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

You're heading through the wrong way, that's New Londo. You want to go through Sen's Fortress, just past the bonfire near the blacksmith in the Parish.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Elysiume posted:

Are you talking about New Londo Ruins? You don't need to fight any ghosts at all to get to Anor Londo.

In his defense it's an easy mistake to make, what with the Londo's.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Thinking of starting my game over, not sure if my build would be worth continuing in NG+. Have over 40 hours played, just got the Lord Vessel, any suggestions?

Around level 62 and I think I spread my points around too much. Mostly agility, relatively low endurance (lower than what I'd like), pumped points into faith to use that stupid artorias sword (then never used it), and have absolutely no humanity.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

There's a cutscene featuring a bigass gate being opened right after you ring the second bell. It's the most obvious GO HERE DUMBASS moment that the game has had for me so far.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

You're heading through the wrong way, that's New Londo. You want to go through Sen's Fortress, just past the bonfire near the blacksmith in the Parish.

D'oh! Thanks for saving me a ton of future rage. Now I just have to deal with those lizardmen who treat me like an undead catemite. I shall prevail over them... eventually.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Dirty Job posted:

Thinking of starting my game over, not sure if my build would be worth continuing in NG+. Have over 40 hours played, just got the Lord Vessel, any suggestions?

Around level 62 and I think I spread my points around too much. Mostly agility, relatively low endurance (lower than what I'd like), pumped points into faith to use that stupid artorias sword (then never used it), and have absolutely no humanity.

This is me on my first character, pretty much exactly, except that I went further to like lvl 70 with my broken build and felt like a moron. That artorias sword is an evil trap, it may be better if they fix scaling but as it is it doesn't have a lot of punch even with high stats. Restarting is what I did, and I feel much better for having done so. If you see what you did wrong too, and decide on a build before hand, you can do MUCH better on a second character.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Dirty Job posted:

Yeah, that's a bad build, no doubt about it. If you want to get any strength, dex, or faith, you should pick one to focus on, not multiple, but really to be optimal you should just aim for minimums and use elemental weapons.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

D'oh! Thanks for saving me a ton of future rage. Now I just have to deal with those lizardmen who treat me like an undead catemite. I shall prevail over them... eventually.

Just inside the door is a pressure panel that triggers an arrow trap. If you look closely you can walk around it, aggro the lizards, and then run (not sprint) back to the entrance. If you do it right, they'll follow you and the arrows will hit the tailing one in the back. The arrows are enough to kill one if they all hit the same one, and dealing with just one is much simpler than both at once.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dirty Job posted:

Definitely restart. The game goes by a lot faster when you know where to go, how to kill things, and most importantly, how to not die.

Also life sucks without high endurance. I try to get to 20/30 END as soon as possible. The benefits are huge, and the bonuses you get from the Ring of Favor and Protection only get better with more points in VIT/END.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Yeah, that's a bad build, no doubt about it. If you want to get any strength, dex, or faith, you should pick one to focus on, not multiple, but really to be optimal you should just aim for minimums and use elemental weapons.

Ive got 18 vit and 17 end at SL 75 for my int heavy build and im steamrolling the endgame. Youll be fine

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

Don't worry too much about it. You can make use of high dexterity with Quelaag's Furysword (it scales with humanity, so use any humanity item you might have) and I assume you have 20 faith, which means you can learn two very powerful miracles: Homeward and Tranquil Walk of Peace. You can always farm souls and shore up vitality and endurance later.

There's really nothing wrong with balanced characters unless your vitality is really low, which is a big problem you should fix quickly.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive got 18 vit and 17 end at SL 75 for my int heavy build and im steamrolling the endgame. Youll be fine

Int is a far more useful stat than dex especially a dex-focused build with 20 faith, I'm not saying don't soldier on but it's still a really bad character.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just thinking actually, what's the best light-ish armour, overall? I'm still using most of the freaking starter stuff at the end of the game.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just thinking actually, what's the best light-ish armour, overall? I'm still using most of the freaking starter stuff at the end of the game.

Antiquated skirt upgraded is the most powerful light armor I think. Logans has some good stats, so does the witches, the Xanathos I think, and the gold hemmed of course. Most of those have to be upgraded, but they should be the best you can get in light armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

You'll be singing a different tune after several invaders two shot you or a boss/strong enemy in NG+ one shots you. I have almost 2000 HP and titanite demons in NG++ are taking off two thirds of it with their annoying rear end jump attack.

• Locked thread