Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

nauggins posted:

I feel you bro :sigh:

Im scared that the Xbox version is gonna have some weird slowdown, which would break MY IMMERSION. That and the controller complaints, and potentially smaller (if not easier to murder) online population.

On the other hand, the PS3 is my brothers and he wont be living here forever, which is the estimated amount of time I'll probably end up playing this game. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

LameDevil posted:

I beat him by using simple spear+shield. I was able to block his attacks then counter, rinse, repeat. I died the first few times thinking his attacks were unblockable and trying some rolling shenanigans, but when I treated him as a normal enemy he was easy.

I did this too. I just got all up in his grill with my Battle Axe. I had seen him beaten on the IGN stream using the falling attack method to obliterate his health, but I was confident I could take him on without doing that. It took a couple of goes, but I didn't have much trouble.

The hardest bosses so far have been The Gaping Dragon, although once I figured out a tactic for this I was as good as gold, the Capra Demon, because of the dogs, and the Stray Demon, again once I found a winning tactic he was toast.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Defiant Sally posted:

Im scared that the Xbox version is gonna have some weird slowdown, which would break MY IMMERSION. That and the controller complaints, and potentially smaller online population.

On the other hand, the PS3 is my brothers and he wont be living here forever, which is the estimated amount of time I'll probably end up playing this game. Forever.

Get the PS3 version, and depending on how your brother is, they could have dropped in price by quite a bit by time he moves out.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

WalletBeef posted:

Aside from special editions of this game, why would you order it online? I just went to gamestop and picked it up, no waiting for delivery, none of that. :effort:

Aside from the previous mentioned (no tax, free shippin, gently caress gamestop, etc) I also saved myself a chunk of change by ordering some really cheap games off of gamefly, flipping them at best buy for a better trade value, and then converting it to Amazon Credit via kindle cards. Saved about 20 bux I think.

I dunno, it was all really convenient and easy for me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I picked up the awesome hardcover guide at Gamestop today, it's really nice. Just the sections that explain all the game mechanics (humanity, levelling up, etc) make it worth the $25 price.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Special occasion.

poo poo, I can't remember the last time I was so excited for the UPS dude to come.

Did you forget this time?

Today was the day, the UPS dude would deliver the best package yet. I waited patiently near the door for my current round of packages from Amazon. My leg bounced and I gnawed at my nails. I broke into a cold sweat. Would it arrive today? The status page said that it was a mere 3 hour drive away and that was 7 hours ago. drat their slow sorting techniques! Seconds creeped by, minutes slithered at a snails pace. Where the hell was the UPS dude? Just then in the distance I could make out a low rubble of a cheap desiel engine in between obnoxious bass thuds of passing wiggers and their hoopties. I was the UPS dude! Also someone blasting a Rihanna song. My pants instantly gushed with watermelon like juices. My wait would soon be over, the packages and the accompanying heaven-sent UPS dude would arrive shortly. His large brown van pulled into my deep driveway and I squealed with delight and esctasy. He came out fully loaded. His large package tugging at his too tight shorts. I swung open the door with wild abandon to receive the full load of packages as quickly as possible. This definitely was the most excited I've ever been for the UPS dude. I screamed, "Bury your package deep in my entryway, UPS dude!" He laughed and with a wiggle of his UPS dude belt buckle and a twinkle of his eye, it was done. UPS dude had came.

Also my package is in Memphis(3.5 hour drive) and that was 7 hours ago. :( WTF are you UPS dude!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

LameDevil posted:

edit: also if you break the barrels right outside his fog wall there is some blue shiny critter that runs around. Kill it and you get some item upgrade items. Is this something that spoils?

That is a crystal gecko.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ericthebear posted:

Did you forget this time?

Today was the day, the UPS dude would deliver the best package yet... UPS dude had came.

Well that has made all the Amazon bitching worth it.

ReverendMech
Jul 6, 2009
If you still want the Future Press Dark Souls guide, Gamestop still has some.
http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides/dark-souls-official-strategy-guide/93066?affid=9797&cid=ppc_60000001

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Capsaicin posted:

It's also from a publisher that is known for not sending out a huge amount of games to retailers. You don't really see stacks of Disgaea 4 and Devil Survivor sitting on shelves.

This game wasn't published by NIS or Atlus. Namco Bandai delivers the goods, but this is a very anticipated and popular game getting great scores.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Picked up my copy, I am ready to die!

What is the royalty class of dark souls?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Dragon bridge, explained for confused goons-

The dragon has 2 positions. Landed (and hidden from view) at the beginning of the bridge, and landed and being all menacing at the end

When you first encounter the bridge, slowly progress forward till you hear the dragon. Typically this happened to me when I touched the oil/whatever puddle. Then run your little rear end back ASAP, shield up. This should let you avoid the flames and let the dragon land at the end of the bridge. Ive been hit a couple times, but with your shield up you only get roasted for about 30% of your hp. Instead of all of it.

Once the dragon is at the end of the bridge, it becomes easier.

Simply make a mad dash towards the middle, ignoring the hollows. Take the steps down on your right ASAP. Sprinting. This will trigger the dragons breath again, but you should be able to avoid it completely. He seems to have a range of vision that does not extend the entire bridge, though I cant confirm this.

Also, about upgrading your estus flask-
When you find the flame keeper soul, you will go "what the hell is this" and check it out in the item screen. The discription is misleading. DO NOT USE THE SOUL. To upgrade the flask, you must talk to the mute women on the lower level of the main camp.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Uh oh.

I used the bonfire while the dragon was on the ground. He hasn't respawned. I'm boned aren't I?

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

keyframe posted:

Picked up my copy, I am ready to die!

What is the royalty class of dark souls?

well the Pyro starts at soul lvl 1.

But if you mean being able to spam soul arrow(finitely) then sorc.

Be aware that you have limited magic that recharges at bonfires.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Uh oh.

I used the bonfire while the dragon was on the ground. He hasn't respawned. I'm boned aren't I?
Huh, I also experienced a glitch there of another kind. I got up in one of the towers behind the dragon and shot ONE ARROW at it, and it flew away. About 30 seconds later I heard its dying scream and got 10000 souls. This is bad because I know its tail had a secret weapon in it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I also experienced a glitch there of another kind. I got up in one of the towers behind the dragon and shot ONE ARROW at it, and it flew away. About 30 seconds later I heard its dying scream and got 10000 souls. This is bad because I know its tail had a secret weapon in it.

This particular glitch seems to be somewhat common as I've already read of it happening to multiple people.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Whoa what's this about the 360 version having block/ATTACK on the bumpers? And you can't change it? What are the triggers used for?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Roman posted:

Whoa what's this about the 360 version having block/ATTACK on the bumpers? And you can't change it? What are the triggers used for?
If it's mapped like the PS3 controller, then the triggers are heavy attack in the case of weapons, or shield deflect/bash in the case of shields.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Roman posted:

Parry and heavy attack.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Double Monocle posted:

When you find the flame keeper soul, you will go "what the hell is this" and check it out in the item screen. The discription is misleading. DO NOT USE THE SOUL. To upgrade the flask, you must talk to the mute women on the lower level of the main camp.

ain't that a bitch

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is there a fireplace after the dragon bridge? I have 6k souls, no health potions and like 20% hp. I also found some huge dark knight at the top of a tower but I then ran away.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is there a fireplace after the dragon bridge? I have 6k souls, no health potions and like 20% hp. I also found some huge dark knight at the top of a tower but I then ran away.
If you ask "is there a fireplace after..." type questions, the answer is always yes, it's just an issue of distance. I think that that one is a bit away, until you unlock the shortcut anyway.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Double Monocle posted:

Dragon bridge, explained for confused goons-

The dragon has 2 positions. Landed (and hidden from view) at the beginning of the bridge, and landed and being all menacing at the end

When you first encounter the bridge, slowly progress forward till you hear the dragon. Typically this happened to me when I touched the oil/whatever puddle. Then run your little rear end back ASAP, shield up. This should let you avoid the flames and let the dragon land at the end of the bridge. Ive been hit a couple times, but with your shield up you only get roasted for about 30% of your hp. Instead of all of it.

Once the dragon is at the end of the bridge, it becomes easier.

Simply make a mad dash towards the middle, ignoring the hollows. Take the steps down on your right ASAP. Sprinting. This will trigger the dragons breath again, but you should be able to avoid it completely. He seems to have a range of vision that does not extend the entire bridge, though I cant confirm this.

I realllly wish I would have read this 2 loving minutes ago. What does the upgrade do anyway?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I'm surprised at how readily available this game was where I live. Copies at Best Buy, Future Shop, EB Games, and Wal-Mart. Ended up purchasing it at Wal-Mart for, oh, a buck cheaper than the other places. I'll be ready to join the dying soon enough.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Uh oh.

You should be fine. Unless it glitched the way some people have pointed out and you were awarded 10,000 souls, he does return if you linger around on the bridge.

quote:

Yep! You need to hang around one of those side parts of the bridge. I always choose the left side. Waiting there for about ten seconds he'll jump down to you and start walking past where you are. As soon as you can get through run past his feet toward the bonfire, as well as a level to open a gate that shortcuts your path back to where the boar and dark knight are.

My CE copy of Dark Souls just arrived. I've been lucky enough to have been playing already for the past few days, now the thing is here at work taunting me to play more.

Also, question about a particular weapon after the Gargoyles. I got the axe by cutting off the gargoyle tail, and have the stats to equip it but every time I do the bars for bleeding, poison and deadly poison appear and at a point where they are nearly already full. What's the deal?

ireladd fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 4, 2011

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

ireladd posted:

You should be fine. Unless it glitched the way some people have pointed out and you were awarded 10,000 souls, he does return if you linger around on the bridge.

Yep! You need to hang around one of those side parts of the bridge. I always choose the left side. Waiting there for about ten seconds he'll jump down to you and start walking past where you are. As soon as you can get through run past his feet toward the bonfire, as well as a level to open a gate that shortcuts your path back to where the boar and dark knight are.

My CE copy of Dark Souls just arrived. I've been lucky enough to have been playing already for the past few days, now the thing is here at work taunting me to play more.

Also, question about a particular weapon after the Gargoyles. I got the axe by cutting off the gargoyle tail, and have the stats to equip it but every time I do the bars for bleeding, poison and deadly poison appear and at a point where they are nearly already full. What's the deal?

I went up the steps to the right of the boar and got shot to death...on my way back the rats pushed me off the ledge under the dragon bridge...there goes 7k souls.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Nigulus Rex posted:

I went up the steps to the right of the boar and got shot to death...on my way back the rats pushed me off the ledge under the dragon bridge...there goes 7k souls.

This is why I love these games. :allears:

The ones you think won't give you an issue are the ones that will kill you.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Loofa08 posted:

I realllly wish I would have read this 2 loving minutes ago. What does the upgrade do anyway?

It makes them heal more.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Trynant posted:

Not to crap the thread with beer talk, but if I were to drink on this game (either a terrible idea or a brilliant idea), I would go for Stone's Double Bastard Ale. Touted by the brewers themselves as a masochist's drink; this beer is immediate-headache inducing and ultimately
wonderful. Sound familiar?

I'm going a different route with two brews from Rouge, Start out with an Arrogant Bastard Ale, to be quickly chased with Dead Guy Ale. I just picked it up on my lunch hour, the rest of this day is going to draaaaaag.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ireladd posted:

The deal is that you are playing Dark Souls. Embrace this feeling of surprise and confusion, it will be with you for the whole game.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Defiant Sally posted:

Im scared that the Xbox version is gonna have some weird slowdown, which would break MY IMMERSION. That and the controller complaints, and potentially smaller (if not easier to murder) online population.

I'm also concerned about MY IMMERSION, but I think I'm gonna go Xbox because my stupid jerk friends are all getting it on Xbox. Being all alone on PSN is so lonely. Plus, from what I've read, the Xbox version seems to run pretty well and the PS3 has a little slow-down in places too.

Who am I kidding, it'll probably be a last-second decision made while standing in front of the case at Best Buy all wringing my hands and wiping the cold sweat from my brow I can't gently caress this up oh god :negative:

If you don't have rear end in a top hat friends like I do, probably do what Smelly said and grab it on PS3 then snag a PS3 of your own later.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Loofa08 posted:

Same here. Thanks for the entirely inaccurate description, From Software! I used the soul and it gave me +5 humanity, which I naturally lost no more than 10 minutes later. I'm already highly considering starting over... :ghost:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

PirateNipple posted:

Hey people I have questions, I never played Demon's so these might be stupid:

1.) Can you repair weapons and armor once they break (hit 0 or whatever)? I'm rocking that drake sword and would hate to permanently lose it.

2.) Do better shields improve (i.e. lower) the amount of stamina drained when you block a hit?

1. Yes. Someone confirmed this specifically with the weapon you're talking about.

2. Yes. This is the 'guard break reduction' stat on everything you can block with. Damage reduction is the percentage of damage that is dealt to your stamina instead of your health (most shields have 100% physical damage reduction) and guard break reduction is the percentage of blocked damage that is completely negated instead of delivered to your stamina.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Uh oh.

I saw someone streaming who made it to that bonfire. He walked onto the bridge from the Taurus Demon area and the dragon showed up and roasted him again, like when he first approached the bridge. I think it might not be a glitch, the dragon just flies back to his initial position when you pass him.

ireladd posted:

That weapon increases your resistance to those status effects. Resistance to a status effect is effectively a regenerating health bar that enemies attack. Once it's empty, you get afflicted. When you equip a weapon that increase your resistance, it adds more potential max 'health' to the bar, so it shows up briefly while it regenerates to the new max.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Can anyone with the futurepress guide look at the back cover and see if the side quest paragraph mentions Deus Ex: HR? I'm wondering if they were all misprinted that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vanguard Warden posted:

That weapon increases your resistance to those status effects. Resistance to a status effect is effectively a regenerating health bar that enemies attack. Once it's empty, you get afflicted. When you equip a weapon that increase your resistance, it adds more potential max 'health' to the bar, so it shows up briefly while it regenerates to the new max.
Really? I mean, there are lots of items that do that but none of them cause the resistance bars to appear when you equip them.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

ireladd posted:

When I do that, and go to the left side, he jumps down and stands right by me, and jumps up and shoots fire over both lengths of the bridge. I tried running under him but I have literally 1 second before I get hit with fire. I tried eating one shot and then getting up and going again but he just jumped twice and shot again.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Sankis posted:

I went to activate my CE code but the website seemed to hang so I went to re-enter it. Now it's saying it's been activated. Is there any way to find my download again? I want my free stuff :(

A similar thing happened to me. I logged in, started to download the soundtrack, and it was shown as "Finished downloading" even though the file was like 2 MB. I tried unzipping it just in case, but sure enough, I couldn't, because it was "incomplete or damaged". I tried downloading it again, and it said something like, "This item has already been downloaded". I refreshed the page, and now I can't access it because "This code as already been redeemed".

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

J posted:

Can anyone with the futurepress guide look at the back cover and see if the side quest paragraph mentions Deus Ex: HR? I'm wondering if they were all misprinted that way.

Haha what :stare:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Chuck Boone posted:

A similar thing happened to me. I logged in, started to download the soundtrack, and it was shown as "Finished downloading" even though the file was like 2 MB. I tried unzipping it just in case, but sure enough, I couldn't, because it was "incomplete or damaged". I tried downloading it again, and it said something like, "This item has already been downloaded". I refreshed the page, and now I can't access it because "This code as already been redeemed".

Question to anyone who has the soundtrack downloaded: Are the names for the songs spoilers? I know the NIER OST had some spoilerific titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

does this game do that thing from DeS where you constantly have to press select to see if you fell offline or not?

• Locked thread