Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bobnumerotres posted:

You'd think that by the time you reach the gargoyles you know the most important rule to remember for survival in this game is "Shield up, stay back, observe" but I've white phantomed them so many times, and so many times players just LOVE going in there and slicing the tail until they run out of stamina/get hit/get caught between the two of them.

People are so loving bad at this game and then they call it unfair. The only not-fun part of the gargoyles was being roasted by the flamethrower.

No no no. Most of the time when people died, it was at the group of zombies before the boss.

I put my summon down near the elevator to Firelink. When people would summon me, I would check if the channeler was up and if it was, I would start just take him down with about 10 arrows from the shortbow. The person would be fighting the knight on the stairs while I did this. Then, they turn the corner and rush face first into 20 zombies and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Muninn posted:

Okay, I love this game, but it really needs to stop stacking inputs while not giving you the ability to cancel attacks by e.g. rolling out. It's not like you'd be unable to stop swinging a sword in real life (except maybe the really really huge ones).

If you have the ninja ring you can cancel out of a lot of animations way easier from what I hear, but yeah, this is stupid and will get you killed during boss fights. Commands should just be ignored if you're stuck in some other animation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mordiceius posted:

No no no. Most of the time when people died, it was at the group of zombies before the boss.

I put my summon down near the elevator to Firelink. When people would summon me, I would check if the channeler was up and if it was, I would start just take him down with about 10 arrows from the shortbow. The person would be fighting the knight on the stairs while I did this. Then, they turn the corner and rush face first into 20 zombies and die.
I've had people summon me on Gaping Dragon with the summoner alive. Gaping Dragon? Easy. Gaping Dragon with unexpected death raining from above? Not quite as easy.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
I never realized how trivial NPC summoning made some boss fights. As an apparent masochist, the first time I played through I solo'd all the bosses, but on the NG+ run I just started I blitzed Taurus, Gargoyles, Gaping, Quelaag and Ceaseless in under two hours with two deaths, largely due to the Gargoyle and Queelag fight being made completely easymode by Solaire and Mildred. Solaire even lived through the Gaping fight with that insane HP pool of his. If you're having trouble with boss fights, burn that humanity and summon a guy if you can; having someone to share the aggro with makes it complete easymode, even if it's a dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers NPC Knight like Solaire.

Edit: Pure melee as well :smug:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I thought Quelaag was easier without an NPC on my NG+, since it stopped her doing that instakill booty shake attack and she did the heavy AOE a lot less.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I can't be the only one that finds summons distracting. I kept summoning NPCs to help with bosses as SL1 and it always ends badly because I can't properly judge the bosses movements if they are swinging widely at someone else.

Then I get impatient, run in and instantly die from a side swipe. :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

neetz posted:

Thanks for this, I'll try and nab it tomorrow. What a shame the monk wrappings do zilch.....still, I'm enjoying an Int build more than anything so far. Has anyone had the pleasure of Logan's 50 magic sorcery? If it's anything like the Faith one I suppose it'll be very disappointing.
No it's actually pretty nice. I won't spoil the details cause I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Also 50 is around when Logan's catalyst surpasses the three other A-ranked catalysts.

All in all, int-based magic (sorcery) is pretty great all around. The magic adjustment scaling on the catalysts starts off horrifically slow but once you get to about 28 or so things start hitting like trucks. It's one of the few "scaling" things in this game where the progression is really noticeable as you increase your int and get new spells.

Joe_Richter posted:

So reading all this talk AOUT grinding humanity by killing skeleton babbys; surely it's easier to. Grind souls with the suicidal darkroot dudes then buy it for 5k a pop from the formal undead merchant? Same for titanite shard/chunk/green I guess.
That merchant only sells one piece of humanity, it's not infinite. Baby grinding is the best humanity farming but the drop rate is so high it's really not that bad.

Penny_Dreadful posted:

I can't be the only one that finds summons distracting. I kept summoning NPCs to help with bosses as SL1 and it always ends badly because I can't properly judge the bosses movements if they are swinging widely at someone else.

Then I get impatient, run in and instantly die from a side swipe. :v:
Dirty confession but I died like 4 times to Quelaag as a Phantom because she would do the PBAoE fire nuke and I couldn't see she was doing it cause she always facing someone else. I finally got used to using the legs as a telegraph rather than her ... "body".

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

For most of those fights, you don't even need a summon, well, if you're a melee character. All you need is the following:

Endurance : 15 min, 20 or higher is preferred.
Shield : 100% phys absorb and upgraded as high as possible for stability. A +10 hollow soldier shield is pretty awesome. It also has good fire defense which handles most of the bosses pretty well.

Most of the time, I just stay close to bosses, let them hit me, block it then hit, or run away if they're doing some lame aoe attack. Once you realize how to do this to bosses (and most enemies) the game gets much easier.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
Any actual counter to fog ring aside from hope the idiot gets hit by a trap and dies? It takes the piss when all they do is attack you from 40 feet away with spells and all you can do is run or try to blindly swing at them and get backstabbed. It should disable the lock on for its wieler, on account of being a oval office.

edit: VV Backstabs forever. They can wear 0 armour and get the maximum roll speed without being in trouble in PvP, cos hey, he can strafe and all I can do is roll in a straight line and hit him once in 20 swings. I'm using a Partizan right now which has a really wide but fast attack, but even this is moot against someone casting spells from far away. Also have you tried blocking something you can't lock onto, might aswell be impossible.

Thanks for tips though, gonna try to get hold of that miracle or one of those sleeping giant swords that do the same thing.

RADmadness fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 20, 2011

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

RADmadness posted:

Any actual counter to fog ring aside from hope the idiot gets hit by a trap and dies? It takes the piss when all they do is attack you from 40 feet away with spells and all you can do is run or try to blindly swing at them and get backstabbed. It should disable the lock on for its wieler, on account of being a oval office.

Maybe a weapon with a wide horizontal swing motion? (Zweihander?)

Edit : Also, try using that "peaceful walk" miracle that only enables people to walk around you and not run around.

WalletBeef fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 20, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RADmadness posted:

Stand in place, use wide arc weapon, turn manually as they try to circle around you. Keep swinging.

Alternatively cast a homing mass spell of some sort and just walk into them and watch them all fire point blank. Wrath of God works really well too.

The thing about fog ring is that the other player is probably relying on lock on just as much as you are. Just abuse this by standing in place and turning manually, you will turn way faster than he can strafe very easily. Just watch for magic attacks and be quick to counter.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

GreenAcidRage posted:

even if it's a dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers NPC Knight like Solaire.

Solaire has very sophisticated A.I., he is just so grossly incandescent that you don't recognize what he is doing; he straight-up tanks bosses for you because he is such a bro that he knows he can handle the heat while you get killing done. Not his fault if people can't finish a boss before he needs to bip out for more Sunny D.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
He has a bad taste in hats, that's all I'm saying, first the Gaping Dragon, then those Chaos Bugs

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

bat duck posted:

^^hahaha sucker

god loving damnit, went to kill Shivas bodyguard in blighttown. After I hit, 3 mosquitoes started attacking in addition to shiva, and I die. Now theyre not there and Ill have to pay a billion souls just to get another chance. gently caress this

Shiva's body guard will probably be in the forest in that case.

I accidentally struck Alvina while doing the Cat Covenant, and then aggro'd Shiva and company in the forest. I killed them all, and I thought I was screwed out of that sweet, sweet flip ring. I come back the next day to kill Sif, and while exploring a little behind where Shiva liked to hang out by the bridge, I found his ninja body guard. Killed him and got my ring - so alls not lost.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RADmadness posted:

edit: VV Backstabs forever. They can wear 0 armour and get the maximum roll speed without being in trouble in PvP, cos hey, he can strafe and all I can do is roll in a straight line and hit him once in 20 swings. I'm using a Partizan right now which has a really wide but fast attack, but even this is moot against someone casting spells from far away. Also have you tried blocking something you can't lock onto, might aswell be impossible.
I hardly ever block in pvp personally. Just wear the heaviest armor and swing for the stars. Cast spells as necessary.

I win the majority of my PvP fights when I stopped trying to play a proper duel. Just overpower the opponent, it's what everyone else is trying to do with fog ring + elemental weapon or a lovely shotel. If you want more power, then start cheesing right back with the slow miracle until it is patched.

Also get the crystal moonlight shield already and start using that too.

Holiday mms
Feb 17, 2011
So I restarted my character after getting overly frustrated banging my head against the Capra Demon.. And now I breezed right through the first few bosses and am about to fight moonlight moth or whatever.

I have 40k souls on me (not sure how I want to level, or what builds are even viable) and 6 humanity.
This makes me essentially terrified to play this game at all! I don't know what I am doing! But I am having fun.

Any tips for Moonlight or Capra Demon?

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

Holiday mms posted:

Any tips for Moonlight or Capra Demon?

for the moonlight... keep moving to avoid her attacks.. and wait till it lands on the bridge to attack.. the repeat it. Its much easier if you have magic.. but i did it with out taking any damage as a melee smasher!

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
For moonlight, be human, destroy the bushes under the stairs and hire Witch Beatrice to beat the poo poo out of it for you. She got it to 1/3hp before it even landed and all I did was roll around and heal myself.

Capra demon is only strong because of the location and those 2 bastard dogs. Get up the stairs and try to kill the dogs with firebombs or other weak aoe so you can consentrate on the demon and dodging its jump attacks. You can do it with an ally, but hardly any people are willing to help for 1.5k souls as opposed to the 12.5k you get from gaping dragon.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Electric Crayon posted:

Shiva's body guard will probably be in the forest in that case.

I accidentally struck Alvina while doing the Cat Covenant, and then aggro'd Shiva and company in the forest. I killed them all, and I thought I was screwed out of that sweet, sweet flip ring. I come back the next day to kill Sif, and while exploring a little behind where Shiva liked to hang out by the bridge, I found his ninja body guard. Killed him and got my ring - so alls not lost.

A quick warning about the Forest Hunters Covenant that's related to your post: The Ninja Bodyguard has a really bad habit of falling off the cliff there and dying. He will just do this on his own while you are off somewhere else in the Darkroot Garden dicking around. This counts as a hostile action by you and you get booted from the Covenant, everyone goes hostile, and it's generally a lovely situation.

TO AVOID THIS DIRE FATE: After you join the Forest Hunter Covenant, go talk to Shiva (he's right outside the building where Alvina is), then LEAVE the Garden and go to Blighttown. Just walking in the back entrance or teleporting to Quelaag's room and then walking out counts, you just want the zone to load, which it will do once you get to a connecting zone (Valley of the Drakes, Queelag's Domain, etc). This causes Shiva and his Ninja to pick up and move to Blighttown, where they will remain happily until you inevitably decide to kill them for that sweet sweet ring and Shiva's awesome sword.

Yeah it's a bit of a pain, but it's better than 2000xSL Souls to absolve your innocent rear end of a crime you didn't commit.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I joined the Daughters of Chaos and donated 30 humanities. I got my pyromancy. Now where the hell is my shortcut.

Edit: Also, Eingyi doesn't really seem any more friendly than he was before, even though I have the ring and can speak with Quelaag's sister.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 20, 2011

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
If you know how, for Moonlight, return to the asylum and get the Crest Shield. It has 100% phys and 80% magic block, and it makes the fight a cakewalk. Spend your souls before attempting the Capra demon though; If you're unsure on a build, just dump them into vit and end, as you can never go wrong with more health and stamina.

Edit: ^^^ Before the demon firesage there is a path to the right, that's it. It is literally the best thing ever.
E2: Kill them bugs so Solaire doesn't end up with one on his head

satsui no thankyou fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 20, 2011

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Toiwat posted:

So I joined the Daughters of Chaos and donated 30 humanities. I got my pyromancy. Now where the hell is my shortcut.

Just before Firesage, the tunnel with the tree roots in it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
It's near the fog door that normally leads to the first Demon's Ruins boss. There's a hole in the wall that leads to a hallway, the door is in the middle of that hallway.

It's behind the yellow fog door that won't lift until you have the Lordvessel.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way

Mr. Leonheart posted:

gently caress Blighttown. There is no excuse for this place.
Ninja Gaiden.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Toiwat posted:

It's not that dead end out of the bonfire room down there that looks so suspicious. It's a passageway immediately before you fight the Demon Firesage in the Demon Ruins, it's to the right of the entrance to his room. You'll know it's the right one because it's full of little Chaos Bugs that are harmless and adorable.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So I went in and killed the Hydra after 10 minutes of slowly strafing around trying to get into range of the last head (boy that's a dull boss), and then I turned around to head back up the slope to spend my souls and....the slope up to the blacksmith was gone.

Instead, I was in a fully enclosed cave, and I'm still not quite sure what happened. It was like something out of the Twilight Zone. I walked along the edge of it, and could NOT find the shoreline that I walked in on. Instead, I found a ladder up, which let me to rolling fatcats of death.

And then, of course, I died to the invisible underwater cliff (which apparently goes right up to the shore on the right side!) when trying to figure out how the hell I got to the enclosed part of the cave, losing 13k souls in the process. Sigh.

Anyone know what I might have done? Can you go through the waterfall or something? Or did I just get myself REALLY turned around?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

It's not that dead end out of the bonfire room down there that looks so suspicious.

Uh. I suppose it's a common misunderstanding.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Talking to the Daughter of Chaos with the Old Witch's Ring was a really depressing experience. Just...goddamn.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Toiwat posted:

Uh. I suppose it's a common misunderstanding.

That dead end still bothers me, every time I'm there I still whack it..... just in case.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So I got the Dark Wood Grain Ring (I feel bad, and now I need to grind a ton of souls) and Shiva started wandering around and now he's poisoned. I warped away, but will he die while I'm gone?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Well so far I've just poo poo all over every boss in this playthrough, I've gone full on glass cannon sorceror, but I've also done a ton of summoning and being summoned. I just absolutely ruined O+S with homing spheres and soul spear while I had solaire distracting them, and pretty much every other boss has been a pinch with someone else keeping them at a good range from me. I couldn't believe that I beat O+S on my first attempt, considering it took me like 10+ goes on my previous character.

edit: also some weirdness, I think you get way more souls from white phantoming if you haven't beaten the boss before you start helping people with it. I did 3 white phantomings on the iron golem this morning and got 45k souls a time. poo poo is bananas.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 20, 2011

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

EvilCornbread posted:

Anyone know what I might have done? Can you go through the waterfall or something? Or did I just get myself REALLY turned around?

You got really turned around. There should be an open, sloped shoreline with a few stands of trees. Going up the ladder works, but you will have to get past the giant feline sonic trio, which is a pain. If you stand in the lake, face the ladder, and head along the base of the cliff you should hit the shoreline you want pretty quickly. It's fairly dark down there so I guess I could see losing your way. From the lake you should actually be able to pan your camera up and see the tower that Havel is inside, just head for that.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
So are like 90% of the people that black phantom in this game whiny little shits or something? I had some dude come after me in the Archives, and I was looking forward to the engagement. He literally starts throwing poop at me, then I hit him with a fire orb (had the wrong spell selected) and he ran away and spent the remainder of his stay in the middle of a really tall ladder. Then he left and called me a fag.

Every other encounter I have had with PVP has been a slight variation on that (the poop throwing was new though)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Dark Souls - Wearing a Hessian Sack on your head is surprisingly comfortable.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Underwhelmed posted:

So are like 90% of the people that black phantom in this game whiny little shits or something? I had some dude come after me in the Archives, and I was looking forward to the engagement. He literally starts throwing poop at me, then I hit him with a fire orb (had the wrong spell selected) and he ran away and spent the remainder of his stay in the middle of a really tall ladder. Then he left and called me a fag.

Every other encounter I have had with PVP has been a slight variation on that (the poop throwing was new though)

So far every invader has been either some immortal japanese person or a whiny idiot. It ends up with me maneuvering them into a place where they can't dodge my homing spheres and just blocking them till they die, or they warp behind me and backstab despite having been 10 feet in front of me.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Tips for the feline trio, I beat Sif and them last night:

If you approach them from the woods side where you collect the large soul of a proud warrior, you'll notice that they will patrol close to the grove of trees where you collected that item but do not enter, probably due to the model size and the tightness of the grove. If you back up into the grove of trees slowly while locked on, the felines will turn and path away from you, allowing you to get a few stabs in. Move back out of the grove with shield up (be prepared to dodge rolling charge), stab again, move back to trees, wash, rinse, repeat.

I didn't die to them once and it was real easy this way.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
"Summoning has failed."

Ok but I just need some hel...

"Summoning has failed."

Well I'll just try this again, here let me wait.

...looks like it might work!

"Summoning has failed."

Ok well how about this guy?

"SUMMONING HAS FAILED."

I could summon a loving daemon from the ethereal depths of hell using a oujia board easier than I could summon someone to help me in this god forsaken game.

Nito, your days are numbered!....and that number is very high.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Penny_Dreadful posted:

That dead end still bothers me, every time I'm there I still whack it..... just in case.

Yeah what's the deal with that? I want to know what's back there!!!

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Are the strength requirements for shields only for trying to use them as a weapon? Or will it affect trying to block with them?

'Cause I want to use Havel's shield on my new tank character but getting up to 50 strength is pretty much out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Crowbear posted:

Are the strength requirements for shields only for trying to use them as a weapon? Or will it affect trying to block with them?

'Cause I want to use Havel's shield on my new tank character but getting up to 50 strength is pretty much out of the question.

It's also to block. I tried using Havel's Shield, too, but not having enough strength made me take a long time to put my shield up. Not sure if it works perfectly other than taking long to get up, though.

• Locked thread