Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Smelly posted:

On the subject of Kindling: Didn't they say that kindling a flame increased the Estus count for ALL the players that rest there?

If you stand around a bonfire for long enough a bit of yellow light will come out of the bonfire at you and you'll gain a single flask if you aren't at your max. This is someone else kindling that bonfire.

I think the same thing happens when a message you wrote gets recommended but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Can you clarify? I'm working on that boss right now and spawning at firelink. It doesn't jump out at you, at least.

About midway through the Undead Burg is a bonfire. Are you taking the elevator up to the Parish or running the length of the Burg each time? You can get to the bonfire from either direction but the Burg is easier due to weaker enemies. Go through until you get to where there is an archer shooting you from the parapet. If you look to the path to the right you see at the end of the walkway two spear and shield enemies and the staircase down to the merchant. If you keep straight, toward the archer, as soon as you get up the stairs next to where he is you'll see the bonfire to your left in a room. If you go right from that point you'll see/hear the fire bomb throwers on the roof.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
*see's a bunch of blood stains, reads message*

*dies*

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Do kindled/upgraded bonfires stay upgraded? Like if I kindle then leave the game and load my guy back up later will that bonfire still be lit and upgraded?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

invalid posted:

That's right, I remember from the first game that in was all moot by the end anyway.

But starting gifts? Why are they doing this to me?! I refuse to look at the wiki this time! Is this what a junkie's relapse is like?

Take the pendant if you're a completionist and the master key if you want to sequence break. The thief starts with the master key anyway, and it's reusable so if you want both take thief and pick pendant. The starting stats won't matter after you play for an hour or two and because the PvP meta isn't defined at all yet it's impossible to even evaluate "builds."

Edit: my game shipped, it'll be here tomorrow :unsmith:

No news about my guide though :unsmith:

Can someone scan their weapons pages and post them? I'm a compulsive minmaxer and neded to have a early breakpoint for dex/str for my planned mage to feel comfortable.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 4, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Do kindled/upgraded bonfires stay upgraded? Like if I kindle then leave the game and load my guy back up later will that bonfire still be lit and upgraded?

Yes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yep. I've been going around upgrading them all to 10.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

coyo7e posted:

Are you locking on to your target?

I am its just really finnicky about what it targets to and then changing targets has this weird lag on it that causes all kinds of problems for me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Could anyone give me a hint on where to go.

I'm soul level 26. I've defeated the Hydra, but the forested area and Dragon Valley seems to be way above my punching weight at the moment. Isn't there some sewers you can go to?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

How do I use first person aiming with bows and crossbows?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep. I've been going around upgrading them all to 10.

Does this carry to NG+?

You can farm humanity somewhere, right?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Can someone scan their weapons pages and post them? I'm a compulsive minmaxer and neded to have a early breakpoint for dex/str for my planned mage to feel comfortable.

There's only some preliminary information posted to it yet, but it's still a good source of weapon stats: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/weapons

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Funkmaster General posted:

How do I use first person aiming with bows and crossbows?
You can't with crossbows, but with bows you push L1 while holding it in both hands.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does this carry to NG+?

Dunno the answer to the first one, but to the second, anywhere you see giant sewer rats (hint: the sewer)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can't with crossbows

Son of a bitch! Wasted souls!

Thanks, though.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Could anyone give me a hint on where to go.

I'm soul level 26. I've defeated the Hydra, but the forested area and Dragon Valley seems to be way above my punching weight at the moment. Isn't there some sewers you can go to?

Yeah, you should have a Basement Key. You need to find the door that needs it! You should probably be able to guess :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Have we discovered the Dark Souls equivalent of 4-2 soul farming in Demon's Souls, yet?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does this carry to NG+?

I don't think it carries over. There are numerous spots to farm humanity. I've seen ones that give 1-3 humanity per 30 second run.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dunno the answer to the first one, but to the second, anywhere you see giant sewer rats (hint: the sewer)

Aww thanks Dark Souls :unsmith:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Yeah, you should have a Basement Key. You need to find the door that needs it! You should probably be able to guess :)

I've visited the tower and defeated the guy with Havel's ring. I guess I'll look around some more.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Krinkle posted:

when I first played demon's souls a year and a half ago, maybe? When I replayed it earlier this year I didn't have nearly so many problems.all I want to know is if the game will actually notify me this time when connection to the DS server is lost

I'm a little confused. In DeS and DaS if you're in online mode and you lose connection it should boot you too the start menu.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

One more day... What reasons have people successfully pulled sickies with in the past?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I've been playing for four hours and I'm stuck at the same god drat bonfire in the Burg on both characters. I enjoy the challenge of it but at some point the fun factor decreases when I can't even progress to the next checkpoint. I kill the taurus guy and then the boar and I still can't find another bonfire. It's like 20 min from spawn to the same point again at which point I have no potions left.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Samurai Sanders posted:

A few hours into the game, which class you picked at start will be almost meaningless.

Now, which gift you picked, THAT will make a difference.

But it does determine your initial survivability!

I picked Thief my first go. Died so many times to that loving Asylum Demon before I finally killed it.

Then I tried as a Bandit and after the plunge hit, I heavy attacked maybe 4 times and it was dead. :woop:

I think I'll stay with the Bandit.

That being said, what are the stats of choice? Vitality still pretty drat important early on?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I've visited the tower and defeated the guy with Havel's ring. I guess I'll look around some more.

Don't look if you want to figure it out on your own the door before the dragon bridge

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

keyframe posted:

Am I missing something here. I started Pyromancer and got past the first tutorial section of the game and started the main game but I can't seem to use my fireball spell still. Do I need to do something to activate it? Does he need a talisman to use spells like in demons souls and if so where can I find one asap?

You should have a "Pyromancy Flame", that's the talisman for the Pyromancer class. You also need to equip/prepare your spells at the bonfire.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Should I get Force or Heal for my first miracle? Force is tempting because of the hollow crowd before the Bell Gargoyles, but Heal seems super valuable with Estus flasks being so limited..

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Hey guys, I read the kotaku article about 360 vs Ps3, but after some hands on time have you guys found a reason to choose one version over another?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Who Dat posted:

That being said, what are the stats of choice? Vitality still pretty drat important early on?
Only if you plan to get hit.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Should I get Force or Heal for my first miracle? Force is tempting because of the hollow crowd before the Bell Gargoyles, but Heal seems super valuable with Estus flasks being so limited..

Heal fires off so slowly that it won't be of any use to you during most fights. It still might be worth it to help you conserve flasks for a boss though.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

evilalien posted:

Heal fires off so slowly that it won't be of any use to you during most fights. It still might be worth it to help you conserve flasks for a boss though.

I'm decent at conserving flasks, I was mostly thinking about it to help with fights. Force it is then.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Vertigus posted:

The code I got on my card doesn't work, and it's not in the aa-bb-cc-dd format the webpage specifies. Anyone else have this problem?

Don't worry, I tried to get my stuff and it wouldn't let me. Now I'm locked out of the website because I've already used my code once. I think everyone's code is in xxxxxxxx format, but when you type it into the website, it breaks it up into xx-xx-xx-xx.

It's obvious that they're having problems with the site. I hope they fix it and let people try to get their stuff again.

EDIT: It's also case sensitive. But take my advice and wait a while to access the site. It's a mess right now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Alright, a goon had mentioned earlier that there should be (early game spoiler) an alternate path to get into the undead parish if you are a moron like me that closed the portcullis there where you fight the undead boar but I cannot for the life of me find it. From where you enter I see three possible alternate routes. The portcullis behind where you enter that leads back to the dragon is closed. Continuing up the stairs you came in from leads to a literal dead end via great sword. The third path is the stairs leading down just behind the boars spawn that leads to a dining hall with some depraved ones, in which I found a mysterious key but otherwise lead to a dead end. I don't see any way to progress, any suggestions?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 4, 2011

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Brackhar posted:

Hey guys, I read the kotaku article about 360 vs Ps3, but after some hands on time have you guys found a reason to choose one version over another?

Free PSN vs paid xbox live?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Well, presume I have a live account already.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Brackhar posted:

Well, presume I have a live account already.

I believe it just comes down to which system you prefer.

Reports are that the controls are uncomfortable on the 360 controller, but they have the same slowdowns and are pretty much identical.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gametrailers is playing the PS3 version for their review, and noted the slow downs on that system too.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
So I accidentally attacked the dude at the first bonfire and he decided to make something of it. Dark Souls decided this was an opportune moment to save for me, so he got locked in angrymode. Had to put him down.

Welp, hope he wasn't going to be useful for anything. As he died, he said something like "Not too shabby. You probably did me a favor" and left me 1000 souls :(

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Alright, a goon had mentioned earlier that there should be (early game spoiler) an alternate path to get into the undead parish if you are a moron like me that closed the portcullis there where you fight the undead boar but I cannot for the life of me find it. From where you enter I see three possible alternate routes. The portcullis behind where you enter that leads back to the dragon is closed. Continuing up the stairs you came in from leads to a literal dead end via great sword. The third path is the stairs leading down just behind the boars spawn that leads to a dining hall with some depraved ones, in which I found a mysterious key but otherwise lead to a dead end. I don't see any way to progress, any suggestions?

I had the same problem. :) There's a ladder in the dining hall. Easy to miss because it is in a dark corner.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

This may have been posted before but this guys youtube channel has some pretty great videos on how to beat bosses and find secret weapons. http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
I canceled my Amazon pre-order this morning after it got pushed back to a ship date of Friday. I called the local gamestop and luckily they had a CE in stock for PS3, and I had a 10 dollar off powerup coupon and some old trade in credit. Managed to get a CE today for 40 bucks :)

I had imported the old Demon's Souls, sold that to a goon so he could experience it, and later re bought the US release. Can't wait to jump into this one.

• Locked thread