Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky
May 18, 2003

frosteh posted:

Just got back from a lunch-break Best Buy visit. For those who hate Gamestop (me included), Best Buy hasn't failed me once. I never pre order anything and just go on release day to pick it up. They must've had like 50 copies just sitting on the shelf when I walked up.

I have a serious problem now: the work day isn't over for another 4 hours and I have this game on my desk just looking (laughing) at me. ;/

So pumped to die tonight.

Did they have any Collector's Editions? I'm pretty pissed at gamestop. I went to the midnight release to pick up my preorder and they gave me the regular edition even though when I pre-ordered I said I wanted the CE edition to which the girl working said I was getting. If I had know that poo poo I would have taken my business to best buy which I will from now on.

On the game itself: It's loving BRUTAL, I seriously wanted to snap the disc. Demon's Souls was nowhere near this hard. I'm at the point where I am just running past enemies now because I've probably died 30 times already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
I went to Gamestop today and the guy was opening a box with the strategy guides. Not that rare I guess. $24 bucks.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Where exactly do i get the heal miracle?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I preordered the game from Best Buy, so I should have the limited edition, I think, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get it. What I have is just a regular PS3 game box. The picture on the cover is the one in the OP. All that's in it is the manual and the game, and I don't see some sort of code for the downloadable stuff. There's no mention of any special edition on the box anywhere. I'm guessing I didn't get it?

Risky posted:

Did they have any Collector's Editions? I'm pretty pissed at gamestop. I went to the midnight release to pick up my preorder and they gave me the regular edition even though when I pre-ordered I said I wanted the CE edition to which the girl working said I was getting. If I had know that poo poo I would have taken my business to best buy which I will from now on.

Hah

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am biting my nails hoping gamely will send this soon. In the meantime, I have only one question:
How is the whip?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Cyrai posted:

I preordered the game from Best Buy, so I should have the limited edition, I think, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get it. What I have is just a regular PS3 game box. The picture on the cover is the one in the OP. All that's in it is the manual and the game, and I don't see some sort of code for the downloadable stuff. There's no mention of any special edition on the box anywhere. I'm guessing I didn't get it?

The Collector's Edition comes in a metal tin, so no you didn't :(

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I'm sorry if this has been covered lately, looked over several pages and didn't see any information on this.

I was going to buy it for the 360 because that's where all my friends are, but I'm concerned because I have a lovely 10gb HD that's almost full. How necessary is installing this game to the HD? How badly is it effected if you don't? There's no way I can erase enough poo poo to make room for it on there, and I can't afford a new hard drive at the moment.

Thanks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gooch181 posted:

I am biting my nails hoping gamely will send this soon. In the meantime, I have only one question:
How is the whip?
It's...odd. It it does decent damage I guess, and doesn't use much stamina. You can't riposte with it though, for the way I play it makes it less useful.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

A Nice Boy posted:

I was going to buy it for the 360 because that's where all my friends are, but I'm concerned because I have a lovely 10gb HD that's almost full. How necessary is installing this game to the HD? How badly is it effected if you don't? There's no way I can erase enough poo poo to make room for it on there, and I can't afford a new hard drive at the moment.

I recall a goon posting earlier saying he was playing the game fine without installation. I doubt it's too big of a deal anyways, I don't even think the PS3 version installs. Demon's Souls didn't if I remember correctly.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

A Nice Boy posted:

I'm sorry if this has been covered lately, looked over several pages and didn't see any information on this.

Thanks.

I can't speak firsthand but earlier in the thread someone said it was running fine without installing.

EDIT: I'll be on 360

Lenaway fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 4, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Awesome. What are you guys mostly playing on? PS3 or 360?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Cyrai posted:

Oh bullshit. Best Buy told me they only made a limited amount of the collector's edition and I preordered too late. They said their store didn't even get any of the collector's edition. Is that incorrect? It's really annoying because I looked at my receipt and it clearly said I preordered the collector's edition

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've been wandering about Sen's Fortress for ages now. I'm a total master of taking down these snake guys. And I've started using the traps and enviromental hazards to take them down too, which is quite satisfying.

But it's starting to get to the point where I have explored everything I can find, and there's nowhere I can seem to make any progress. I even killed that mimic that I was utterly terrified of to see if it had a key or something.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well some small consolation I guess while I wait for my Amazon order to ship, I called Gamestop this morning and they got in a box of strategy guides. So I managed to pick that up at least.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The collectors and the regular editions have the same SKUs which caused almost all Best Buys to not get enough.

The chosen remedy is to provide a 20 dollar giftcard to those who pre-ordered and did not get the collectors. If they don't know what you're talking about tell them to check employee news.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Nice Boy posted:

Awesome. What are you guys mostly playing on? PS3 or 360?

Looks like we've got roughly a 50/50 split from what I can see.

I'll be on the 360 since it's the only console I have :)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am getting my rear end kicked hard in this game :smith:

It's throwing too many huge monsters at me early on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

I am getting my rear end kicked hard in this game :smith:

It's throwing too many huge monsters at me early on.
Huge USUALLY means slow though.

usually, anyway...

the SECOND pair of gargoyles the game throws at you are really good at flying straight up and then in the blink of an eye landing behind you and swiping at your back

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Three more hours until I throw myself into the abyss. Been listening to Opeth all day to get into the right mindset. Totally stealing the dead guy ale idea. Just seems like the right thing to do. Count down until my first frustration post.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

RentACop posted:

The collectors and the regular editions have the same SKUs which caused almost all Best Buys to not get enough.

The chosen remedy is to provide a 20 dollar giftcard to those who pre-ordered and did not get the collectors. If they don't know what you're talking about tell them to check employee news.

They're saying they don't have anything about that on employee news.

Oh, no, I have to return it and 'buy' it online and pick it up in the store once it processes for an $10 online certificate

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 4, 2011

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

This game is awesome, I feel stupid for not having played the first game now. I'll have to play it after I exhaust this one.

If you're not running around leaving "fatty" messages everywhere then you're playing wrong :colbert:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I can't even level up because I keep dying :( I really feel like an idiot because I can't get past the second bonfire (in the Burg). I've killed the Taurus and Boar now but I can't get back to the spot where the boar was because I keep dying. I did go back to the GY however and pick up the winged spear and Zweihander (also found 3 chests in a semi hidden place that spills you out into the GY after). Now I have to decide if I want to try and get 5 more dex for the winged spear (because my dex is 10 and it needs 15), or go straight for 9 more str to use the zweihander.

/sigh. I need a break I think.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Risky posted:

On the game itself: It's loving BRUTAL, I seriously wanted to snap the disc. Demon's Souls was nowhere near this hard. I'm at the point where I am just running past enemies now because I've probably died 30 times already.

Yes yes yes, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Oh god I actually might loving pop.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I just summoned a pair of white phantoms to help me beat the second boss, the bell gargoyles. Currently a level 13 cleric having mostly boosted Endurance and Vitality so far.

One of the white phantoms had a spear that absolutely murdered all the preboss monsters and took out the boss in 2 or 3 hits. I'm not sure if I'm crazy underleveled, he was crazy overgeared, or if there's already some kind of item exploit out in the wild.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This game is so loving hardcore that my brakes just went out on the way home from picking it up. It's trying to kill me before I've even opened the game.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Jesus. When people said this was hard they were not kidding. I have died over twenty times so far, just on the way to get the orange soap item. Haha. Ouch.

I'm also clueless on where to go. Time to pop this guide open.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

This game is so loving hardcore that my brakes just went out on the way home from picking it up. It's trying to kill me before I've even opened the game.

YOU HANDBRAKED
Phantom, You were unable to achieve your brakes.
You must leave this road.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
God, I'm terrible at all the poo poo I'll need the guide for, but it won't be here until he 7th...:gonk:

I'm the kind of guy who is using the worst weapon possible because I don't understand the stats properly, totally make the wrong build, and go the wrong direction and lock myself out of cool items/other stuff.

Guide, get here soon! :ohdear:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So is the only way to upgrade the humanity stat to use the humanity souls? I do not lose that stat when I die right?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Canceled my online pre-order cause gently caress IT I'm gonna pick it up tonight.

The real Dark Souls begins here *drives straight after work to a mall totally out of the way* :byodood:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Thank you, whoever put a "sniper spot" and "weakness: tail" near the dragon. Thank you. Thank you. God bless you and keep you.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

keyframe posted:

So is the only way to upgrade the humanity stat to use the humanity souls? I do not lose that stat when I die right?

It takes one humanity to go from being undead to alive. After that any subsequent humanity added to the counter increases your item find percentage and your curse resistance. If you die while human you revert to being undead and all souls and humanity you had in your respective counters will be on your soul stain wherever it was that you died.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

poo poo, Shopto.net posted my pre-order today. No way in hell is it going to get here this week.

I just want to die to the first enemy, is that too much to ask?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It takes one humanity to go from being undead to alive. After that any subsequent humanity added to the counter increases your item find percentage and your curse resistance. If you die while human you revert to being undead and all souls and humanity you had in your respective counters will be on your soul stain wherever it was that you died.

So if you die on the way to your dropped souls and lose em you are proper hosed?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

How much (or little) humanity you have also influences some NPC conversations, I am told.

keyframe posted:

So if you die on the way to your dropped souls and lose em you are proper hosed?
It's not like you can't keep ANY souls or humanity: you get them in item form as well, and those stay.

Basically, don't walk around with excess souls or humanity actually in your body, keep them in item form as much as possible.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Accidentally attacked the guy who appears right after you Ring the bell in the undead church Does he do anything important?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

Accidentally attacked the guy who appears right after you Ring the bell in the undead church Does he do anything important?
Yes. I think you done hosed up.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Gonna leave this tip for anyone who has or will accidentally kill this particular boss/npc in a way that doesn't let you loot him (cliff). I assume it works for more than this particular case as well, but I can see this happening to other people especially for this guy.

This particular case happened after releasing Lautrec from his cell and encountering him again at Firelink. He sounded like bad news so I decided to fight him, and as soon as combat started he did a backflip off the edge and died, leaving me souls but no loot.

If you give it a minute (make sure it's done autosaving) then quit out via dashboard and come back, he'll still be dead, but his dropped items will actually be sitting back up where either he a)initiated combat or b)fell off the edge. I'm not sure which because in this case they were both the same place. This may happen after leaving the area and coming back and not even require quitting out, not sure if anyone else knows more specifically.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

keyframe posted:

Yup, you only get 1 SECOND chance... if that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Where the hell does this mysterious key that I got off the Boar go to?

• Locked thread