Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sizerp posted:

So, should I be buying this on PS3 or 360?

There is no reason to get it for 360 over ps3. There is no party chat, so having all friends with 360's doesn't matter at all. Plus the controller issue if that is something that would bother you at all. (using bumpers instead of triggers)

The only slight benefit you might get on xbox is the pvp might be a bit easier as there would be a lot of new players to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Was your estimated deliver date today?

Yes, it was Prime Release Date Delivery, which is what they call it if you have Prime. What the difference between regular release date delivery and Prime is beyond me.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Harminoff posted:

There is no reason to get it for 360 over ps3. There is no party chat, so having all friends with 360's doesn't matter at all. Plus the controller issue if that is something that would bother you at all. (using bumpers instead of triggers)

The only slight benefit you might get on xbox is the pvp might be a bit easier as there would be a lot of new players to the game.

There's no reason to get it for PS3 over 360 either.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Is there a merchant accessible early on other than the one in the undead burg (and not including the blacksmith in the parish)?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Funkmaster General posted:

Nope, not at all. Just controller preference I guess and the added Japan players for pvp.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Has anyone found the Pendant yet?

Originally I was going to go with the thief with the Master Key/Pendant, but I'm starting to think that may be suicide, having never played Demon's Souls, and am probably going to go with the Wander with Master Key.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cancelled pre-order and just picked it up locally plus I got a $10 gift card at FutureShop. gently caress Amazon.ca.

Time to get destroyed! Going naked and looking for a nice and big 2h so I can re-make my char from Demons Souls. :D

Does this use our PSN name when signed in for the book of the damned or whatevs?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Live Gold, but that's something most people would probably already be taking into account. It really just boils down to controllers like people have been saying.

Even the "But all my friend's play it on ..." doesn't mean as much on this game as others, since the multiplayer is so quirky.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is there any other use for fire keeper soul besides having the mute reinforce your estus flask?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Are there weapons that do damage based on your magic (intelligence?) stat?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Is there a merchant accessible early on other than the one in the undead burg (and not including the blacksmith in the parish)?

Yes from the fire shrine there should be a little path heading down the starting area, not the one with the skeletons, that less to a underground ruined city. There is a blacksmithdown there on the landmass, but for gods sake don't cross the wood bridge or else bad poo poo fun happens.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Leyburn posted:

I just taught the Iron Golem a loving lesson.

Wow, this game world really is loving gorgeous, and it's size, scope and detail are just stunning.

God, you guys move fast, took me a week to get to and beat him.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

I need some tips here guys. I have two bosses I can't get around -- Nito and Seathe. There's got to be some kind of obvious trick to the latter one at least?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

J posted:

Is there any other use for fire keeper soul besides having the mute reinforce your estus flask?

You can accidentally waste them by consuming them on your own for +5 humanity, and then bitch about your weak Estus flask later on. That's been working out pretty well for me. :smithicide:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ErIog posted:

You can accidentally waste them by consuming them on your own for +5 humanity, and then bitch about your weak Estus flask later on. That's been working out pretty well for me. :smithicide:

Yeah I'm kinda pissed I did this because I thought it would do what the description says it does.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Talran posted:

God, you guys move fast, took me a week to get to and beat him.

I've had the game since Saturday. 24 hours into my save game (I did little else this weekend, tragic I know).

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Well my copy is finally shipping. Unfortunately I did not have to foresight to bring my PS3 or a TV to college. :smith: Don't have to much fun without me guys.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I can't get past the first two skeletons on the outside of Firelink Shrine. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

The game is trying to send you a message: Don't go that way yet.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Capsaicin posted:

You aren't supposed to go that way right away. Look for other paths with weaker enemies.

Also: My order has been "Shipping Soon" for almost 24 hours now. Define "soon."

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
I'm 15 minutes in and this is awesome!

I just killed the tutorial boss and when you go through the doors behind him walk straight and go to a ledge on your right and you will see a nest with two eggs. The crow (inside the egg i guess) asks for something soft and warm. This has got to be something you give it on New Game + since you've got nothing to give it. Ideas?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Maybe some hero who got the guide can help me answer a question? I know that you can get some special weapons and spells from joining covenants and doing things for them. If you leave/break a covenant, do you lose access to the neat stuff they gave you? Specifically, I want to be able to keep that awesome lightning javelin miracle from Solaire and the sun-buddies.

Also, I ordered from Amazon with release date shipping, and everything went smoothly and arrived on time. Yay!

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 4, 2011

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Leaf Lock posted:

Yes, it was Prime Release Date Delivery, which is what they call it if you have Prime. What the difference between regular release date delivery and Prime is beyond me.

I had the same thing happen, but I mostly blame UPS. It got to them around 5 in the afternoon yesterday, and didn't actually ship out til 9 this morning. It got to my local UPS office around 4 (which is sadly still way out of my way), and won't be getting to me til tomorrow either :/ Yay release date shipping. I also realized too late that regardless of me pre-ordering through them five months ago, they don't appear to be showing it as the upgraded CE version on my order page...

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The worst thing that keeps happening to me in this game. Hit heavy attack, demon throws himself off cliff, the heavy attack sends me off after him.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is there a more reliable way to kill the Black Knight in the Undead Burg, near the Blue Tearstone Ring? I'm playing a pyromancer so all I have is my Fireball spell and Hand Axe right now, and neither are particularly effective. I can get him about a third of the time if I catch him at the right time with a few fireballs, but more often than not I can't get more than two or three of them off before I get killed trying to heal. That fucker is 600 souls a pop, and levels are only about 700 or so souls right now, so I figured I'd try and get a little easy grinding done.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Can someone mention again where the good early-game sword is in the Valley of Drakes for people with the Master Key? There's blood stains and messages everywhere and I'd prefer to just get in and out of here fast and back to dying where I'm actually supposed to be dying at.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
So question for after the first bell: Is the sewer the best place to go? I've died twice now to those loving frogs and can't find a bonfire. I can't tell how close I am to the boss either. :negative:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
At Firelink Shrine, I somehow found a Ring of Sacrifice after heavy attacking a guy and accidentally falling off a cliff onto a bridge. :confused:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zeratanis posted:

So question for after the first bell: Is the sewer the best place to go? I've died twice now to those loving frogs and can't find a bonfire. I can't tell how close I am to the boss either. :negative:

Yes, that is the intended path. Though, there are other paths available that avoid that area and another altogether.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
I have a question for the Demon Souls veterans:
How terrible of an idea is rolling a Thief, Warrior, or Bandit as your first character when you have no experience with this kind of game? I was considering rolling Thief from the get go, but then I was recommended Pyromancer. However, I came to find that the Fireballs just seem to have no range to them at all, and while they have decent damage, I still have to deal with the lower melee ability.

I am completely open to the idea that I am just a terrible idiot and doing something wrong (I haven't spent much on stat points since I have no clue what is most optimal), so feel free to criticize me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn, I have tried and tried to make a Cyclops but just can't get near this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsW4OfUqcAw#t=2m30s

I wish I could read japanese. :(

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm so great/awful at this game you guys. I beat that tough undead knight wearing heavy plate in the Undead Burg thanks to backstabs, running away, and some black fire bombs I found. Then I acted a fool and wandered down somewhere my master key led me, saw some really tough looking guy and decided to go back to play it safe, only to find this giant stone guy with a club chasing me up the stairs! Then he killed me in one hit!

On the way back, I got cocky and didn't pull properly and had guys gang up on me and kill me before I could get my powers back. I had like three humanity there. Oh and then I died to the Taurus demon because I thought I was just supposed to run past it there, haha.

Losing constantly has never been so fun.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Alright so I'm at level 17 and I'm not sure where to go. My options that I've found so far are The bell gargoyles which I've been banging my head against but I just don't do enough damage, I get BBQ'd shortly after the 2nd one lands every time - what weapon should I use? Playing a warrior, I'm using a battle axe right now but I have other weapons. Then I found the capra demon and I have no idea how to fight in that tiny rear end room with the 2 dogs plus the boss, I can't even land 1 hit on him. Then there's the catacombs and I barely do any damage to those endlessly reassembling skeletons so I gave up on that path.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So what should someone who's never played a 'Souls game know about Stat distribution? Is it easy break a character? I hear starting class doesn't matter much, is that true?

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Also: My order has been "Shipping Soon" for almost 24 hours now. Define "soon."

The email everyone seems to have gotten (myself included) says within one business day. So, one would figure today was that business day as the email came at 7ish EST this morning. I'm still shipping soon, and my preorder of the guide more or less seems to have disappeared. Amazon really blew it on this one. I'll give them until the weekend as that's when I was going to be playing anyways. Probably make them cancel it for me at that point.

It is so tough to skip over the parts of the thread where people are having a blast and actually playing:(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm at soul level 36. Where is a good spot to farm souls? I'm doing ok in the game, i'm making progress, but I really want to get a few levels and upgrade my gear. I'm tired of just using this Drake Sword.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 4, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

I just killed the tutorial boss and when you go through the doors behind him walk straight and go to a ledge on your right and you will see a nest with two eggs. The crow (inside the egg i guess) asks for something soft and warm. This has got to be something you give it on New Game + since you've got nothing to give it. Ideas?

You can go back later.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The box from Amazon was waiting for me when I came home! And I actually managed to cut myself opening the box, so this game is already bringing the pain :v:

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Artix74 posted:

Is there a more reliable way to kill the Black Knight in the Undead Burg, near the Blue Tearstone Ring? I'm playing a pyromancer so all I have is my Fireball spell and Hand Axe right now, and neither are particularly effective. I can get him about a third of the time if I catch him at the right time with a few fireballs, but more often than not I can't get more than two or three of them off before I get killed trying to heal. That fucker is 600 souls a pop, and levels are only about 700 or so souls right now, so I figured I'd try and get a little easy grinding done.

Best method I found was to just keep tightly circling counter-clockwise around him. He'll swing out his shield to try and stagger you and then follow it with a sword thrust, but both will miss you if you're circling. It leaves you a nice gap of time to line up a back stab. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm at soul level 36. Where is a good spot to farm souls? I'm doing ok in the game, i'm making progress, but I really want to get a few levels and upgrade my gear.

Have you beaten the boss of the sewers? If not go there in undead form and leave a white sign near the fog door or the bonfire in the sewers and wait to be summoned. He's really easy to reach from the bonfire if you've opened the shortcut and he's not too tough. Gives out 12k souls. Cut the tail!

• Locked thread