Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
God, the red dragon is glitchy. I bought a ton of arrows to kill him with and headed out to his location. He was on his perch, but he didn't know he was on his perch, so he was doing his marching routine in a little circle on the gatehouse.

EDIT: Good, a few arrows fixed him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Are there any spears that are as powerful as the big swords/axes/hammers? I'm tryin to choose whether or not to focus dex or str (still :( )

Ankle-biter posted:

PLEASE no more posts with anything related to Amazon. We don't care and we can't help you!

For content...It took me about 220 cheap arrows with the long-bow to kill the undead dragon. For some reason shooting him in the wings does a little more damage. After getting the dragon scale he drops I spent about 2 hours getting the 10k souls it takes to upgrade the drake sword. I need more scales...does the red dragon drop one? If so, what's the best way to kill him?

How do you upgrade the drake sword?

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
So, dumb question. How do you do a plummet attack?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GaistHeidegger posted:

Am I just really bad at lining up back-stabs or can you physically not engage a back-stab against an 'idle' enemy or one otherwise not engaged in combat yet? It seems like you always end up taking a regular swing when you catch something unaware, particularly black knights, allowing them to turn around and whale on you when you were hoping to get the drop on them.

I am still torn on abandoning my horrible attempt at a thief and starting over as a knight, particularly after hearing now that being tanky works better than in Demon Souls.
I'm kind of "meh" on the master key seeing as it doesn't seem to be useful for pretty much anything that you couldn't access with another key from somewhere, but the bandit knife and the leathers the thief start out with are pretty good. I just pumped my endurance (or whatever the stat is that gives more stamina) a bit, and made sure I had 13 STR to wield that winged spear you can get right after the tutorial is done - I kind of prefer the rapier but the superior range is pretty rad, even though it's a tad slow.

I'm rather fond of the Wanderer too, his poo poo is kind of lightweight so you can run and dodge okay and the scimitar rocks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rikimaru posted:

First you find a way to let gravity do what it wants to, then you attack. :)

[edit] are the starting drops for weapons and whatnot dictated by your initial character class? Randomized, or am I missing something? People mentioning "Spears right at the start" and stuff. I got a 2-sided Axe and a spider shield. That's all I've seen.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

R1/RB while in mid-air.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Dragon scales.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rikimaru posted:

Hit RB while above an enemy in midair. If the guy's not directly under you though it's a bit dodgy, you need to get a running start and probably leap off the edge as well.

I usually SPAM the button, I was able to successfully plunge onto the Taurus demon 90% of my tries.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coyo7e posted:

you need to get a running start and probably leap off the edge as well.

Not true. You can walk off a ledge if the guy is under you and do it just fine.

[edit] speaking of running starts, after you leave the Asylum and you go up the hill in the next area there was a message that said running jump or something from this one scaffolding to another. No matter how I try I cannot make it. It's close though. Is run speed and or jumping distance ever increased by skill, stat, or less encumbrance?

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Smelly posted:

You can go back to the Asylum later apparently, so I assume you'll have the item then. I got all sorts of :3: when I heard her voice.

loving awesome. I'm definitely going to make the trek back! I felt pretty lovely about not being able to give her anything. :buddy:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Feenix posted:

First you find a way to let gravity do what it wants to, then you attack. :)

[edit] are the starting drops for weapons and whatnot dictated by your initial character class? Randomized, or am I missing something? People mentioning "Spears right at the start" and stuff. I got a 2-sided Axe and a spider shield. That's all I've seen.
The spear right at the start is from a dead body in the tombstone-covered graveyard full of skeletons that rebuild themselves. They're below the Covenant of White guy, past the Crow down the hill. If you find a giant skeleton standing up in front of you, it's right there.

There's also a big-rear end two handed sword in that area.

Feenix posted:

Not true. You can walk off a ledge if the guy is under you and do it just fine.
IF the guy is UNDER you. A lot of the time a dude will be like 8-10 feet away form the edge. It's way easier to leap over him to make sure you get directly above him.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This game really gets exceptionally obnoxious once you go down into the Depths. Is there any way to avoid those things that jump out of the water and eat you from full health? Even knowing where they are I can't see them under the water because it's so dark. I tried shooting them but that didn't do anything. Also, curses. That is just such an unbelievably lovely mechanic.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Doing the sprint-jump off a ledge and following with a plunge attack is the most :black101: poo poo I've ever seen in a game.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

coyo7e posted:

Hit RB while above an enemy in midair. If the guy's not directly under you though it's a bit dodgy, you need to get a running start and probably leap off the edge as well.

I usually SPAM the button, I was able to successfully plunge onto the Taurus demon 90% of my tries.

Okay. Um, how do you leap off a ledge? Is there a jump button now?

Sorry for the questions I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coyo7e posted:

The spear right at the start is from a dead body in the tombstone-covered graveyard full of skeletons that rebuild themselves. They're below the Covenant of White guy, past the Crow down the hill. If you find a giant skeleton standing up in front of you, it's right there.

There's also a big-rear end two handed sword in that area.

So when you said Starting area I was thinking Asylum. You mean past that. That's fine. I meant the VERY start of the game. :)

coyo7e posted:

IF the guy is UNDER you. A lot of the time a dude will be like 8-10 feet away form the edge. It's way easier to leap over him to make sure you get directly above him.

Ok I wasn't sure if you meant the running was necessary for guys further away, or just guys in general. BUt I can see how you meant it now. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rikimaru posted:

Get a few steps' lead while running holding B, then tap B again.

You can practise on flat ground.

Feenix posted:

So when you said Starting area I was thinking Asylum. You mean past that. That's fine. I meant the VERY start of the game. :)
I haven't found anything btu broken sword hilts and tattered armour in the tutorial section.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Rikimaru posted:

While sprinting let go of Circle/B and hit it again real quick.

Edit: Where is the spider shield? I want something else besides the knight shield I have (Dunno if that's what it's called, the one that the one rapier guy is guarding.) :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Rikimaru posted:

Walk off the ledge, attack when you're falling. Pressing the roll button while dashing will make you leap forward.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coyo7e posted:

Get a few steps' lead while running holding B, then tap B again.

You can practise on flat ground.
I haven't found anything btu broken sword hilts and tattered armour in the tutorial section.

I got a sweet 2 sided battle axe that (compared to what you spawn with) kicks ASSSSSSS.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Vanguard Warden posted:

Actually he's very useful, you can summon him in some boss fights if you're in human form.

Oh?? Good to know. Thanks

Vanguard Warden posted:

It is possible to get past that dragon at your current state. If you want a tip, try sticking to the right and walking slowly.

Ugh, why didn't I think of that!? Knew it had to be something silly I was missing, drat it.

Vanguard Warden posted:

I was just helping someone with the Capra demon as a phantom. I do so much damage with my +5 claymore that I staggered the boss. :black101:

Hah, that must have felt awesome. Can't wait until I can be that bad rear end. Haven't had enough time to play but I requested a few days off from work this weekend, muwahaha! Can't wait for my mini vacation in the land of the dead.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Phoix posted:

This game really gets exceptionally obnoxious once you go down into the Depths. Is there any way to avoid those things that jump out of the water and eat you from full health? Even knowing where they are I can't see them under the water because it's so dark. I tried shooting them but that didn't do anything. Also, curses. That is just such an unbelievably lovely mechanic.

You mean the slimes? They are usually hanging on the ceiling and they try to drop on your head so shoot them down.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I found a black phantom that looked kind of like a crab next to the enemy that's always at the altar in the undead church. It was bigger than a normal crab but hardly what I'd call giant, maybe 2 or 3 times the size of a basketball. It shot a few volleys of spines at me, but it eventually stopped doing much of anything and was super easy to kill. It dropped some humanity when it died. Was that a vagrant or a normal spawn?

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Is it worth getting the 5,000 soul talisman in the beginning of the game from the White Convenent merchant before Undead Berg? I can't find anything on the web on what it actually does, and I can't parse the description for the life of me.

Not sure, but you can find a starter talisman fairly close by with a morning star.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Has anyone actually had their Amazon guide pre-order ship? I'm still set for a delivery of tommorrow but seeing as how it hasn't shipped by now I'm wondering if I should just order from gamestop.

Where do I find more about covenants? I seem to have missed a whole lot, even in just the opening area! I do like the open world but at the same time it's kinda difficult to say where anything is when it's not segmented into levels.

Edit: Is there any way to teleport or anything later? Seems like it'd be a hassle to do anything from a blacksmith when they're so far apart.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 5, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I found a black phantom that looked kind of like a crab next to the enemy that's always at the altar in the undead church. It was bigger than a normal crab but hardly what I'd call giant, maybe 2 or 3 times the size of a basketball. It shot a few volleys of spines at me, but it eventually stopped doing much of anything and was super easy to kill. It dropped some humanity when it died. Was that a vagrant or a normal spawn?

Sound like a vagrant.

If you're on the 360 version, you're welcome. :smug:
I've been dropping extra crap all day.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Is there a warning or notification when you're invaded? I was exploring the Asylum again (2nd trip) and while fighting a black knight I was randomly assaulted by what looked and acted like another player, though I saw nothing pop up or any names or anything. I managed to escape the knight and lure the mystery dude back out to an open area and kill him, but it was pretty out of nowhere and confusing. He didn't heal himself at all so I'm wondering if it was an enemy made to seem like an invader.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Der Juicen, I think this has already been discussed before, but have you tried the Razer Onza? I absolutely love the pad (some people hate it), the adjustable stick tension is fantastic, and so is the mouse-style face buttons. But for you in particular, it has an extra set of shoulder buttons on the top (one left, one right), and they can be re-programmed to be equivalent to any other button on the pad. Of course, you might be playing it on the PS3, but if not, you'd have access to three shoulder buttons on the right, which might go some way toward helping you out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, dumb newbie question about the tutorial section so I'm not going to spoiler much of the question.. I suspect all three of these are connected, though..?

When you reach the tip that tells you how to use backstep/roll, over to the left there's a broken stair with a body containing loot, on top of it. How do i get up there?

I noticed the first time I was playing the game yesterday when I got past the cannonball on the stairs and the guy right behind it, that some player fell down to where I was fighting the (first time you meet two at a time, with a archer behind them near the plunge-attack message) sword skeletons, and though maybe that was someone who'd found how to reach the loot I mentioned in the first paragraph..

Is there a way to get through the locked door past the first heavy-shield skeleton right in that same area?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sound like a vagrant.

IIRC humanity dropping vagrants spawn when you have some humanity, die and then die again without recovering it. I've been dropping a ton of crap too, the game sure likes throwing hollow soldier gear at you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sound like a vagrant.

How do you drop stuff? I haven't been able to figure it out and I'm tired of carrying these broken sword hilts and six sets of hollow warrior/soldier armour. :(

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Kill dragons for scales. I killed the undead dragon in drakes valley and I just got a second one from killing the hydra. They are 10k souls per upgrade. I need 2 scales for +3 :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Skunk Ape posted:

Is there a warning or notification when you're invaded? I was exploring the Asylum again (2nd trip) and while fighting a black knight I was randomly assaulted by what looked and acted like another player, though I saw nothing pop up or any names or anything. I managed to escape the knight and lure the mystery dude back out to an open area and kill him, but it was pretty out of nowhere and confusing. He didn't heal himself at all so I'm wondering if it was an enemy made to seem like an invader.

Black phantoms can't heal themselves with estus, only spells, so maybe?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So I left the blacksmith the down in Da Parish (I live in New Orleans :haw:) and ran into the the castle across the way. The large maced knight growled at me, I ran like a scared baby all the way back to the blacksmith. He followed and clipped into the stairs. :woop: After killing his sorry rear end, I ran back to the castle, the the Fire Keeper Soul, and stepped into this narrow elevator nearby. It clicked, I started rapidly descending, and all I could think as my heart sank was "Aw man. I'm hosed. I'm dead. There goes all my souls. Surely there's some terrifying demon down here ready to faceplant my rear end in a top hat around my head." And when the screen said Firelink Shrine, I literally breathed a 'thank loving god'.

I love the sense of constant dread this game gives you.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

coyo7e posted:

Okay, dumb newbie question about the tutorial section so I'm not going to spoiler much of the question.. I suspect all three of these are connected, though..?

When you reach the tip that tells you how to use backstep/roll, over to the left there's a broken stair with a body containing loot, on top of it. How do i get up there?

I noticed the first time I was playing the game yesterday when I got past the cannonball on the stairs and the guy right behind it, that some player fell down to where I was fighting the (first time you meet two at a time, with a archer behind them near the plunge-attack message) sword skeletons, and though maybe that was someone who'd found how to reach the loot I mentioned in the first paragraph..

Is there a way to get through the locked door past the first heavy-shield skeleton right in that same area?

You can find a key to there on top of a building on the way up to the crow's nest before going back to the Asylum the 2nd time. The locked door just leads to that item.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Skunk Ape posted:

There is a method to invade without warning the invaded player, according to the guide. I think it's a benefit of one of the Covenants.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sound like a vagrant.

Can you explain what a vagrant is?

I haven't found any summon signs or been invaded yet and it feels so odd. I can't even figure out how to place my summon sign. Does it need to be in certain spots or what? When do I get the red/black/whatever sign to invade?

I need to get the guide.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

GaistHeidegger posted:

It would seem Knights by default start with the covenant of the white--is this problematic if you want to dive into other covenants later?

I want to get a big ole tower shield and just spear-march through corridors.

I've read that there is a NPC later you can talk to that can get you out of covenants without any penalties, all it costs is souls.

Also... That black horned knight with the big shield in Undeadburg (down the stairs before the upwards stairs where that rear end in a top hat kicks a burning barrel at you) is guarding something, I can see the item back behind him, and I've been toying with the idea of luring him out and up the staircase, and then getting around him and making a grab for that item. What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Summon signs can only be put down by boss doors I think.

Not sure how to do an invasion though, the option has always been crossed out for me

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sankis posted:

Can you explain what a vagrant is?

When you drop equipment, after a while it will spawn a vagrant for other players. It can drop humanity or better equipment than what you dropped.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Willfrey posted:

What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

He is protecting A ring that increases your defense when you're HP is low

Certainly doesn't hurt to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

Willfrey posted:

I've read that there is a NPC later you can talk to that can get you out of covenants without any penalties, all it costs is souls.

Also... That black horned knight with the big shield in Undeadburg (down the stairs before the upwards stairs where that rear end in a top hat kicks a burning barrel at you) is guarding something, I can see the item back behind him, and I've been toying with the idea of luring him out and up the staircase, and then getting around him and making a grab for that item. What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

He's guarding a ring that gives you extra defense when your health is low. You can actually jump from the bridge above near the bonfire and land driectly on it, grabbing it before he kills you.

• Locked thread