Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rivv
Jul 13, 2005
Everything I do is motivated by stupidity
I tried to find it in the thread but I didn't see it, so pardon me if this has been asked before.

Do Pyro's need to raise intellect? I've been reading everything I can find online and some people say it raises spell damage, some people say it only improves the physical attack of the catalyst, and some people say it does absolutely nothing at all.

Does anyone know if raising int will do jack squat for a pyro that wants to go melee/pyro route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I know I'm missing like, a vital part of this game, but what exactly is humanity used for? I think I remeber soemthing about reversing hollowed status, and upgrading bonfires, but Upgrading Humanity seems to do nothing, and I can't upgrade bonfires cause I lack some sort of ritual.

Also, I keep hearing about this scythe. Where is this located, and is it Str or Agi based?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

redreader posted:

A few questions:

1: I died a few times while doing the first 'up' area. I had died! THEN when I checked I had 1 humanity. I had NOT used a humanity item. WTF? I know items are different to status. It was humanity in my status. How does that work?

2: is it worth upgrading the spear or estoc? I'm using them both for my stabby-shield weapons, and my scimitar for all-out assault. I have 1 upgrade thing, should I save it for a better weapon?

3: can people summon before the first boss taurus? I tried to help people last night but nobody summoned me.

Edit: PS3 version. Maybe this weekend it will pick up...?

1. Killing enemies gives a chance for them to drop a nonconsumable humanity, it automatically gets added to your count.

2. Go ahead and upgrade what you want, the blacksmith sells shards for 800 a pop, which is rather easy to get.

3. I don't believe you can summon until you get the stone from that guy.

I'm on PS3 as well, and I've seen about 10 different stones to summon people in the Parish alone.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TalonDemonKing posted:

I know I'm missing like, a vital part of this game, but what exactly is humanity used for? I think I remeber soemthing about reversing hollowed status, and upgrading bonfires, but Upgrading Humanity seems to do nothing, and I can't upgrade bonfires cause I lack some sort of ritual.

The more humanity you have, the better items and better item drop percentage you receive from monsters.

Humanity is also used to upgrade your chosen Covenant

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Alectai posted:

Are you playing the 360 version? I know I haven't seen a whole lot of other players there, which pisses me right the gently caress off, as it's the only version I could find.

There doesn't seem to be much activity, I don't know - maybe it is because the world is so open, but this game feels much less populated than the last one. I am most disappointed in the lack of gravelords and vagrants, personally.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just picked this up earlier and this game is pretty sweet. I can see that if I was more patient I would probably never die, especially if I grabbed every enemies attention and dragged them all back to the same place I know how to fight at.

However, half the fun is retreating to mildly acceptable places (like bridges) and attempting to duel them as they all claw in your direction.

I don't understand parries and I don't know how to kick. I have no idea how to tell if one thing is better than the other. I am really digging this clueless gaming.

Darth Windu posted:

There doesn't seem to be much activity, I don't know - maybe it is because the world is so open, but this game feels much less populated than the last one. I am most disappointed in the lack of gravelords and vagrants, personally.

Maybe it's because I just picked it up but I've seen lots of people in the starting areas. The first boss dudes room was just plastered in bloodstains.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The more humanity you have, the better items and better item drop percentage you receive from monsters.

Humanity is also used to upgrade your chosen Covenant
Yeah you get like 20% bonus to loot drops for every point of humanity you have above "alive" (which is sort of zero)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

skinny white boy posted:

I don't understand parries and I don't know how to kick. I have no idea how to tell if one thing is better than the other. I am really digging this clueless gaming.

If you get a parry off, it does INSANE amounts of damage. The few times I've done it, it's an instant kill

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I wish retrieving your stuff after you die while alive would give you back the humanity you lost. :negative:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Darth Windu posted:

Give it a few days dude. Most people are still getting the hang of things. I only had like three hours to play last night so I know I'm not that far yet, but I plan on doing as much multi as I can. Helpful phantom and PVP asshat.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
To whoever asked (coyo7e I think?) about an IRC room, there are 4 people sitting in #Darksouls on synirc. There were a couple more last night. That's all I know of right now.

I went into the Depths and for the life of me couldn't find a bonfire before I got to the Gaping Dragon and died, naturally. Is there one that I'm missing? That's a long hike!

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

This should be waiting for me when I get home from work today :dance:

Is the master key worthwhile to get as your starting item? I played a thief character in Demon's Souls so I'll probably start as a heavy armour / big weapon type character in Dark Souls.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
So I made it back to the Asylum again and drat do I hate dreglings with torches.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

AaronB posted:

To whoever asked (coyo7e I think?) about an IRC room, there are 4 people sitting in #Darksouls on synirc. There were a couple more last night. That's all I know of right now.

I went into the Depths and for the life of me couldn't find a bonfire before I got to the Gaping Dragon and died, naturally. Is there one that I'm missing? That's a long hike!

There is one down a long hallway in one of the early parts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Find the item in your menu (item menu not equip screen), select it, hit drop. It's right under 'use'.

I feel like some stuff might be unfairly obscure to the point where I don't feel bad telling people secret stuff on a more fundamental level. Like the fact that you can get special items by lopping off body parts of enemies who have body parts you can lop off.

Half of this stuff can conveyed by a "Weakness: [Limb]" message on the ground anyway.

The _____ Souls games have always been about community input and cooperation. In the face of grave danger, intense challenge, and mysterious obscurity, it IS very much a gameplay element to have communal chats, posts, wikis, etc. :)

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I really want to get the bonfire behind the dragon on the bridge (and open that gate) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do so. If I sprint down and stick in the left corner, he jumps down eventually and walks up to/by me but if I move he just fire blazes the whole bridge multiple times. Any tips?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Feenix posted:

communal chats*

*Unless you want to have a communal chat while you are actually playing the game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nigulus Rex posted:

I really want to get the bonfire behind the dragon on the bridge (and open that gate) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do so. If I sprint down and stick in the left corner, he jumps down eventually and walks up to/by me but if I move he just fire blazes the whole bridge multiple times. Any tips?

I shot him with a bow and he jumped down to the bridge. Right after he landed I just ran past him to the bonfire.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

qbert posted:

Actually there is an upgraded Pyromancy Flame you can get in the game, from Quelaana of Izalith in the Blighttown swamps.

How upgraded it is? I'm up to +7 right now.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Nechronic posted:

I shot him with a bow and he jumped down to the bridge. Right after he landed I just ran past him to the bonfire.

I'll give it a shot and report back, thanks.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Parry timing seems a bit more forgiving in this game than it was in Dark Souls, which is good because it's a great way to kill tough enemies (like that golden Yurt look-alike in the Parish). It's really worth it to spend ten minutes screwing around with it at the first bonfire in the Burg until you get the hang of it to do it consistently. Makes fighting easier, faster, and a lot more fun against the low-level enemies.

edit: and I know that by killing him early I'm missing out on better loot later but that's fine, I'm just going to get it in my second playthrough of the game anyway

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Nigulus Rex posted:

I did it by standing in one of those safe alcoves, pinging him with an arrow, then hauling rear end while he flew down to attack me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

All these people asking what to do after ringing the first bell are making me feel Bad At Video Games(tm), because I'm still stuck on the gargoyle fight. I've wasted almost all of my consumable humanity summoning the NPC white phantom. I've yet to see a single other player offering help. I have the drake sword and I go in with firebombs, but neither seems to help much. The NPC draws their attention, which is nice, but he also draws them away from me physically, which makes it nearly impossible to hit them. Then he dies and I'm stuck with fighting both of them. They won't get far enough away from each other to make it feasible to hit either of them, and if I get bold and rush in I am always knocked down after one or two swings, which leads to certain death because it gives the other one a chance to block my escape route and prevent me from drinking my flask.

With all the people who were asking questions about where to go when I found the paths obvious, or how to beat the taurus demon who gave me no trouble, now asking about after that fight and nobody mentioning having trouble with it, I feel like maybe I'm being a huge dumb and missing some obvious way to deal with them?

Protip for fighting the gargoyles: The second gargoyle's fire breath absolutely destroys the first gargoyle. Once the first gargoyle is down just wait for the second to breath fire then attack it from behind/the side. If you can't beath the second gargoyle 1v1 then maybe you are Bad at Video Games. Persevere!

J
Jun 10, 2001

I just killed the boss at the end of blighttown, Quelaag, is there a shortcut out of this shithole anywhere or do I have to backtrack my way out? I want to use the souls I just got to buy the key that opens that door in the garden buuuut making my way all the way back to that vendor intact seems daunting and I'm hoping there is a shortcut since I'm not seeing one.

Slackmaw
May 4, 2010
Sorry if I've missed it, but does Dark Souls have the NG+(when you completed the game with one character in Demons Souls you could start over the game with that same character but the game became 40% harder) mechanic which was pretty sweet in Demons Souls?

EDIT: Should have read the OP more carefully

Slackmaw fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 5, 2011

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS EAT MY DICK BULL BITCH.

Now onwards into the real hard poo poo.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm thinking its about time for a new thread / OP. I'm catching up to the thread at work and I'm seeing a lot of repeat questions and such that would do well in a new FAQ section. Or at least add a section in the FAQ in this OP for the "How do I kick/falling attack/kill the first real boss/get that sword " crowd and maybe some notes on where you can go once the tutorial ends. If I'm feeling it, I can start a writeup for a new op when I get home.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Jimbot posted:

How upgraded it is? I'm up to +7 right now.

You have to have your Pyromancy Flame fully upgraded to +15, and then she will offer to convert it to Quelaana Pyromancy Flame, which is much stronger and itself can be raised to +5.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
*be wary of dragon*

*hears wings, looks up in time to see fire*

:saddowns:

Cube2000
May 27, 2010
Managed to avoid dying until I tried fighting that tall knight in the undead burbs (Bastard didn't flinch at all to any of my attacks). After a few more deaths, including one with me being caught in between enemies (I was on my way to recover souls and humanity too :( ), I got to the Taurus Demon and beat it on my first try. Made some more progress, past the dragon bridge, opened up a shortcut, then logged off at the bonfire.

I really like this game. So far, the game has been mostly challenging, but rewarding, just like in demon's souls.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

qbert posted:

You have to have your Pyromancy Flame fully upgraded to +15, and then she will offer to convert it to Quelaana Pyromancy Flame, which is much stronger and itself can be raised to +5.

Excellent, thanks buddy. I'll get on that. Got any tips on which shield would be a good permanent choice for Pyromancers? I've been sticking with the Wooden Shield you find in the beginning and it has been pretty decent so far.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

der juicen posted:

*be wary of dragon*

*hears wings, looks up in time to see fire*

:saddowns:

I saw a grey phantom walk ahead of me on the bridge and stop. I stopped at the same time to see what happened. Then we both turned around at the same time to run as the fire came.

I didn't die though :)

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

der juicen posted:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS EAT MY DICK BULL BITCH.

I was all set for the Taurus Demon to have me pulling out my hair, but when I finally got to him he promptly fell off the wall and died on my very first attempt.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

der juicen posted:

That's pretty much what happened to me. I was dying and dying because I only had 3 pine resins and wanted to 'get good at him' before I used the second one.

Then I jumped on him, swiped 2-handed with my scimitar and he died before I ran out of endurance. I had called my girlfriend in to 'watch me die', which I honestly thought would happen, then I killed him SO EASILY that she probably thought I had been retarded for ever dying to him. He didn't even hit me once.

I screamed at him and said "YESSSSSSSS gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat, loving DIE!" Good times.

I always ended up dying to his overhand strike, not having enough time to heal properly, and trying to roll out of the way. He has crazy movement tracking on that overhead swipe, looks like the only way to get out of it is to be right in front of him and roll between his legs as he starts the actual hit. And I never tried blocking with my shield.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Nechronic posted:

I saw a grey phantom walk ahead of me on the bridge and stop. I stopped at the same time to see what happened. Then we both turned around at the same time to run as the fire came.

I didn't die though :)

Do you just run, or do you have to fight this rear end in a top hat. I set up a summon stone, if any of yall are 360, right at the entrance lookin at dragon boy.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

der juicen posted:

Do you just run, or do you have to fight this rear end in a top hat. I set up a summon stone, if any of yall are 360, right at the entrance lookin at dragon boy.

Do what you did at the dragon bridge in Demon's Souls.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

der juicen posted:

I think you fight him later on. Initially you just run.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm thinking its about time for a new thread / OP. I'm catching up to the thread at work and I'm seeing a lot of repeat questions and such that would do well in a new FAQ section. Or at least add a section in the FAQ in this OP for the "How do I kick/falling attack/kill the first real boss/get that sword " crowd and maybe some notes on where you can go once the tutorial ends. If I'm feeling it, I can start a writeup for a new op when I get home.

Why would we need a 3rd thread for this game :confused:

This one is fine, just give Jetpack time to get the OP updated with the new information.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Having a great time with this so far, but I've run into a bit of an issue. When I spoke to Solaire a few times in the Burg area, I didn't receive the White Soapstone for multiplayer and upon returning to the area he's not there anymore. Does anybody know if there's somewhere else I can grab it, or will I not be able to try again until NG+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Emron posted:

Do what you did at the dragon bridge in Demon's Souls.

I never played Demon, but like the other poster, I guess run. He is on the other side now, ugh.

• Locked thread