Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What does the extra blood and damage indicate? I'm using slashing weapons btw. I'm a thief, and about every 3rd hit there's more blood than usual and extra damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Where can I buy items? Some guy earlier was mentioning he was farming souls to buy some items in the undead burg, but I'm at the parish now and I never had any opportunity to buy things.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

der juicen posted:

Do you have to have a certain item or be far enough to be invaded? I do see a lot of light blue ghosts running around killin and such.

No, it's just based on your SL. It's only happened once to me in over 10 hours of playing. The limited items for invading means that it will probably be infrequent until you get to a high enough level to be matched with people in the invasion focused covenants.

rizuhbull posted:

What does the extra blood and damage indicate? I'm using slashing weapons btw. I'm a thief, and about every 3rd hit there's more blood than usual and extra damage.

Does your weapon cause bleeding maybe?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Alectai posted:

I Know, where, specifically though? Because I've yet to find an openable door there

When you get to the second floor of that building don't go up the ladder that takes you to the gargoyle fight, On the left side of the main room of the second floor, there's another hallway with a flight of stairs up and a red caped knight. When you've dispatched him, look for the door that does not look like the others. Smash it.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Alright, I'll check there, thanks folks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alectai posted:

I Know, where, specifically though? Because I've yet to find an openable door there

On the second floor there should be another stairway up with a rapier zombie at the top of it. Past him there's a rickety wooden wall, break the wall and he's through there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Started as Deprived, had clubbed and beaten my way through half of Undeadburg without dieing once so far. My fingers are like, clawing and scratching at the gamepad everytime I come close to death.

God, I missed this feeling.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Where can I buy items? Some guy earlier was mentioning he was farming souls to buy some items in the undead burg, but I'm at the parish now and I never had any opportunity to buy things.

As you come out of the bonfire room in the burg, it's past the archer on the right. Two spear guys guard it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Wow, no wonder the game feels so sparsely populated. Despite selling much less, in Demon's Souls I saw way more white phantoms running around, was invaded more frequently, easier to find someone invade (I just used 4 of the invasion stone things and all of them failed, which still uses up the item btw), etc. That's because Demon's Souls was server based, so you were seeing everyone online basically. So whenever you set up a place to summon a blue phantom with your friend, you could find his sign easily.

Dark Souls is apparently not server based, it's some kind of ping based P2P. You aren't seeing everyone online, just some people that would have low latency if they joined your world. You can drop a sign in specific space and your friend still might not see it, and overall you just have less of a chance of interacting with other players. This is incredibly stupid, and it greatly diminishes what was (for me) the most interesting part of Demon's Souls.

God dammit, THAT explains it. That pisses me off to no end and makes me consider returning this game. No wonder it feels deserted. The loving Demon's Souls servers are still up, for christ's sake! Why not just use those?! Why use loving P2P bullshit like every other awful game...ugh...I want to send an angry letter but i know they won't read it, and it is too late to change...son of a bitch.

Pumpkinhead Delux
Sep 10, 2004
Alright, I think I'm done with this game. I've died to the first boss over a hundred times. I waltzed through the game up until this point and died a total of zero times but I don't think I can take anymore. Now I'm going to go drink and lament my failure.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Darth Windu posted:

That pisses me off to no end and makes me consider returning this game.

... Really? Really?

Pumpkinhead Delux posted:

Alright, I think I'm done with this game. I've died to the first boss over a hundred times. I waltzed through the game up until this point and died a total of zero times but I don't think I can take anymore.

Considering the first boss is also the first enemy who will attack you in the first place, this isn't particularly impressive.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Heck yeah. Heck yeah. Destroyed Queeleg. That was some intense stuff right there. Held down the sprint button the entire time but got her good, nice and slow. Anyway, where's the Chaos Servant lady in this place? There's a hole by the bell, can I drop down there?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 6, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Alright, I think I'm done with this game. I've died to the first boss over a hundred times. I waltzed through the game up until this point and died a total of zero times but I don't think I can take anymore. Now I'm going to go drink and lament my failure.

Just get some gold resin sap or whatever, jump attack the Taurus, and swing away. I killed him without getting hit once.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Heck yeah. Destroyed Queeleg. That was some intense stuff right there. Held down the sprint button the entire time but got her good, nice and slow. Anyway, where's the Chaos Servant lady in this place? There's a hole by the bell, can I drop down there?
Jump in and hopefully you will survive.

or you can use the stairs like a wimp

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also where can i sell stuff? :[

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

also where can i sell stuff? :[
Not for a while. There's no limit on how much you can carry though so don't sweat it.

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

I keep trying to summon blue phantoms into my game but so far it's failed both times I have tried, anyone else having the same problems? Is it possibly a connection issue on my end?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Jump in and hopefully you will survive.

or you can use the stairs like a wimp

Yeah, I missed those. I survived, though. :zoro:

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I was in blight town rushing around when I fell off the edge of one of those circular holes. I thought I was going to die but I ended up landing on some secret walkway.

And that's how I found the whip. :)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

rizuhbull posted:

I thought that was a critical hit, but I could be wrong. I might not have been paying close attention but it looked like a normal attack was doing 15ish at first and the extra bloody ones were doing 25ish.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not for a while. There's no limit on how much you can carry though so don't sweat it.

Should I sweat losing souls? I try not to travel with more then six or seven hundred and I ended up losing a batch. Is it a big deal or not really?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
So how many shots does this stupid dragon's tail take anyway? I've used 30 arrows

e: nevermind, just got it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

The Wise Teen posted:

I thought that was a critical hit, but I could be wrong. I might not have been paying close attention but it looked like a normal attack was doing 15ish at first and the extra bloody ones were doing 25ish.
I think it's bleeding damage like the other poster said. In a normal RPG I'd think critical, but criticals in this game are only obtained through parrying, or stabbing in the back.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is killing Havel actually worth it? I've died to this rear end in a top hat a couple dozen times now and am at the point of saying gently caress it and doing something else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Should I sweat losing souls? I try not to travel with more then six or seven hundred and I ended up losing a batch. Is it a big deal or not really?
You're doing the right thing by having as few souls on you as possible, that's about all you can do.

In general, there will always be more souls. Rushing through areas trying to get back to a campfire in order to preserve your souls is a good way to get killed. Just take it easy and careful.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Darth Windu posted:

God dammit, THAT explains it. That pisses me off to no end and makes me consider returning this game. No wonder it feels deserted. The loving Demon's Souls servers are still up, for christ's sake! Why not just use those?! Why use loving P2P bullshit like every other awful game...ugh...I want to send an angry letter but i know they won't read it, and it is too late to change...son of a bitch.

The sad thing is, Atlus is keeping the Demon's Souls servers up through the end of 2012. Atlus had a lot to do with the surprise success of the game, and maintaining the servers was a huge part of it. Now, Bandai Namco swoops in and reaps the benfit of Dark Souls being a much bigger selling title, so you'd think they could have ponied up for one central server like Atlus did.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

Is killing Havel actually worth it? I've died to this rear end in a top hat a couple dozen times now and am at the point of saying gently caress it and doing something else.

You get a nice ring out of it. He's pretty easy to beat, just stay in close and roll behind him whenever he starts to wind-up an attack. Backstab him and repeat until he's dead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Wise Teen posted:

No, critical hits are when you either backstab or riposte. I think that's just a bleed effect. It's on the daggers and a few other weapons.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're doing the right thing by having as few souls on you as possible, that's about all you can do.

Am I far off from being able to upgrade stuff? I found some Titanite or whatever, how do I go about using it?

Pumpkinhead Delux
Sep 10, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

... Really? Really?

Considering the first boss is also the first enemy who will attack you in the first place, this isn't particularly impressive.

It's not the Taurus Demon that's killed me so much, I killed him on the first try. It's those gargoyles. I played Demon's soul extensivly I don't know why they are so hard for me.

Heezy
Apr 1, 2008
:canada: HEVampersand and I pre-ordered this and we both haven't received a shipping notice yet. I went with Amazon in May and HEV went with Future Shop during a more recent sale. I suppose we're both going to be SOL when it comes to getting that pre-order collector's edition upgrade? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Funkmaster General posted:

... Really? Really?

YES! They have screwed up beyond belief on the multiplayer, which was easily the best part of Demon's Souls. I know that it is dumb to get angry about something like this but I feel as though this could have been the perfect game, absolutely the best game ever, but it is ruined by this revelation. I was already disappointed by the lack of vagrants and gravelords, telling myself that the playerbase only needed time...but I'm beginning to doubt EVERYTHING they told us about this game. I left a helm on the ground for an hour this afternoon, and nothing happened to it. Undoubtedly this is because the P2P could not find anyone. I'm very sorry I feel so strongly about this. Like I said, it could have been a perfect game, that is why I get so angry. The choice to use awful P2P has ruined a major aspect of the game for me, the multiplayer. I am very angry, I apologize to the people who will laugh at me for getting angry, but it is just how I feel and I cannot help it. I'm not sure how long I have to return this game, but I'm going to take a serious look at whether From deserves the money for this almost-masterpiece. This is a deadly flaw, in my opinion. (or Bandai-Namco, sorry, it may not be From's fault...in either case, my point still stands)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

It's not the Taurus Demon that's killed me so much, I killed him on the first try. It's those gargoyles. I played Demon's soul extensivly I don't know why they are ao hard for me.

So go to a different area, you don't have to kill the boss to progress. Just go down that side path that takes you to the blacksmith and you can just continue wandering/killing dudes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hahah, the Taurus Demon dies in like three hits and a falling attack to the base Deprived club.

Once you slather a little pine resin on, of course.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

At what point of the game is the first blacksmith located? I currently just beat the first real boss as a pyromancer, and heard that the only way to upgrade my spells is through a blacksmith.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
Sweet, just beat the Anor Lando boss solo on first try, taking out the fat guy, Smough first :smug:

Having a lightning resist heavy shield seems to make the fight a lot more bearable.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

sleepness posted:

At what point of the game is the first blacksmith located? I currently just beat the first real boss as a pyromancer, and heard that the only way to upgrade my spells is through a blacksmith.

The only way to upgrade your pyromancy spells is through a pyromancer. You won't find him until you get to the Depths though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do I use my Titanite or whatever?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
^^^ Find the blacksmith near the church.

Darth Windu posted:

I was already disappointed by the lack of vagrants and gravelords, telling myself that the playerbase only needed time...but I'm beginning to doubt EVERYTHING they told us about this game. I left a helm on the ground for an hour this afternoon, and nothing happened to it. Undoubtedly this is because the P2P could not find anyone.

I'm pretty sure dropped items don't become vagrants in your own game like that. I think once the dropped item is deleted by an rea reset (dying or quitting the game or whatever) it'll pop up a vagrant in someone else's game. As for gravelords, that probably is because of the playerbase, most people seem to be busy getting killed by the gargoyles right now.

VVV None of his moves are unblockable, your shield is just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LameDevil
Mar 12, 2011

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm bad and am having trouble with the Capra Demon.

I enter the fog door and he just runs up and does some unblockable attack on me which I am unable to even dodge evade. Then the dogs are on me and I'm dead.

I did beat the dogs once because he did not open with his unblockable move, but for the life of me I can't replicate whatever I did to have him not open that way.

• Locked thread