Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Funkmaster General posted:

Pretty sure stored humanity doesn't do anything for you, and the item discovery boost is just applied for being human, rather than hollow. Don't quote me on this, though.

No, stored humanity definitely raises it. Being human is a flat boost of 20 I think and then stored humanity keeps adding to it. Stored humanity also boosts if even if you are hollowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aaaaa I was gonna skip this one but this thread exploding the way it has and the ridiculously glowing reviews are changing my mind.

YOUR RESOLVE DIED

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

evilalien posted:

No, stored humanity definitely raises it. Being human is a flat boost of 20 I think and then stored humanity keeps adding to it. Stored humanity also boosts if even if you are hollowed.

Fair enough, then. I must not have noticed because I try to spend humanity on bonfires if I'm ever at 2 or more stored (which I rarely am without using consumable humanity anyhow), since I can't stand losing it to a double-death.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Speedball posted:

Aaaaa I was gonna skip this one but this thread exploding the way it has and the ridiculously glowing reviews are changing my mind.

YOUR RESOLVE DIED

Do it. Skyrim will win all the GOTY awards simply because it's an Elder Scrolls title, but this is easily the best game so far this year, by far.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Fair enough, then. I must not have noticed because I try to spend humanity on bonfires if I'm ever at 2 or more stored (which I rarely am without using consumable humanity anyhow), since I can't stand losing it to a double-death.

Yeah I do the same usually, the only reason I have this much was because I just white phantomed the Sewers boss 8 times in a row. You get 12.5K souls and a humanity every time you beat it so it's pretty worthwhile.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So has anyone found a way to placate NPCs? I committed the cardinal sin of Souls games and put my controller down while standing near that priestess lady and her 3 buddies near the Firelink Shrine.

Now every time I come down the elevator from the Undead Parish they all aggro on me and push my poo poo in.

If there's no way to calm them down then I guess I'll just have to find a way to murder them all!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dongsweep posted:

Yeah, smash the two together at the exact same time. Very touchy. I don't use it because it is unreliable, although kicking an enemy off a ledge is satisfying.

I think you actually tap forward just before hitting R1/R2. I've got it down to muscle memory so I could be wrong.

I love jump attacking everything, it's like I'm a dregling from Demon's Souls.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Crowbear posted:

So has anyone found a way to placate NPCs? I committed the cardinal sin of Souls games and put my controller down while standing near that priestess lady and her 3 buddies near the Firelink Shrine.

Now every time I come down the elevator from the Undead Parish they all aggro on me and push my poo poo in.

If there's no way to calm them down then I guess I'll just have to find a way to murder them all!

Past where you kill the gargoyles at the bell tower, there's an NPC who will make all friendly NPCs forgive you. It will cost a lot of souls.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Stored humanity definitely boost item %. First point is 20, and about 5 per after that, until you get to ~15 when it drops to like 2.

Does anyone know if Dex 30 actually affects your rolling, or is that just a rumor? I know there's a ring that does, but I don't want to keep pumping dex if it won't help my sweet, sweet dodges.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I just got invaded by a phantom in darkroot's mini pvp area. Dude had like a dragon faced helmet on and could apparently just shoot fire out of it all day without ever running out of casts. We literally circle strafed each other for like 5 minutes with him doing nothing but shooting fire at me and me desperately trying to not be in it. What in the everloving gently caress.:smith:

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Could use some white phantoms (360) for the poison swamp boss if anyone's around the bonfire.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

So I just got invaded by a phantom in darkroot's mini pvp area. Dude had like a dragon faced helmet on and could apparently just shoot fire out of it all day without ever running out of casts. We literally circle strafed each other for like 5 minutes with him doing nothing but shooting fire at me and me desperately trying to not be in it. What in the everloving gently caress.:smith:

That wasn't a helmet. :ssh:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Past where you kill the gargoyles at the bell tower, there's an NPC who will make all friendly NPCs forgive you. It will cost a lot of souls.

Has anyone actually tried this out? Because the wording on it is super vague and I'd like to know before dropping 38000 souls on this :ohdear:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ahhhh, just died to a framerate hitch, that stings.

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003
My buddy claims that he is not seeing any ghosts or messages anymore, and he was not in a party chat when the game started but thinks it might be in offline mode. Is there an option to change between the two? He says it hasn't worked even after restarting

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

SolidHavoc posted:

My buddy claims that he is not seeing any ghosts or messages anymore, and he was not in a party chat when the game started but thinks it might be in offline mode. Is there an option to change between the two? He says it hasn't worked even after restarting

I don't know about how to switch modes, but you can check if you're in online mode by trying to leave a message with the orange soapstone.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Bluh, I just spent twenty minutes sitting around by the boss of the Depth's house and nobody called me to help :(

I did manage to support one guy against the Gargoyles though, I love his reactions as I just barreled through the swarm of drudges right before him, scything down the magic-user rear end in a top hat too.

Then we get to the gargoyles and kill them in under a minute, I actually manage to down the second one in two hits.

I am a god drat killing machine :smug:

I kind of want to get to the forest now, but I don't know how to reach it. Closest thing I found to it was this corridor full of a bunch of crystal golems and what looked like the Yamata-no-Orochi shooting frequent artillery barrages of water on the other end. I don't think that's the way to go somehow.

I've also got 5 Black Knights to my score so far, and have a Halberd, a Sword, and a Shield from them. I've gotten the sword upgraded twice, and it's currently sitting pretty at 246 AP. (About 25% Better then the Drake Sword).

So, yeah, productive day all in all, I'm just trying to figure out where to go next, since most of the places I've found are the Catacombs, the Lomba Ruins (Below Firelink), the Valley of Drakes (Probably not, since I can only take said drakes one-on-one, and only when I have room to maneuver), and Darktown (I think).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

Boy oh boy! I sure am glad they kept that awesome move in the game where you bounce back two feet for no reason when you hit the O button! It's not like it's a stupid useless counter intuitive prompt that lets you get rear end raped when you try to run or anything. It's awesome cause you can't already do that effectively by just hitting back+O, so i really appreciate it. Thanks From! I wasn't trying to kill that armored boar. I was just trying to get him down to a sliver of life and let him stick his tusks up my rear end in a top hat.
Why are you holding back when you hit the back-step button? It's actually called that. Also, using backstep then quickly attacking does different attacks, and gives bonus souls for killing a dude with it.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I forgot this game was coming out so soon and as a result, I did not preorder for the CE. Amazingly enough, Gamestop had a preorder cancel and they had one CE available! So excited to play this.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I wish that there was more interfacing with PSN friends or XBL buddies because right now it feels like the game is saturated in a good way, but sometimes you just want to partner up with someone you know. I've tried placing my sign in random rear end spots and telling others on Skype but no dice it seems with how they do their matchmaking.

Really wish they could add a Blue Aiding Soapstone or something that you can set down so only those on your PSN / XBL list can see you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alectai posted:

I kind of want to get to the forest now, but I don't know how to reach it. Closest thing I found to it was this corridor full of a bunch of crystal golems and what looked like the Yamata-no-Orochi shooting frequent artillery barrages of water on the other end. I don't think that's the way to go somehow.

If you can get past that area you'll be in the rest of the forest. You can also Run past (or kill I suppose) the golem near the undead parish's blacksmith

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Garin posted:

I wish that there was more interfacing with PSN friends or XBL buddies because right now it feels like the game is saturated in a good way, but sometimes you just want to partner up with someone you know. I've tried placing my sign in random rear end spots and telling others on Skype but no dice it seems with how they do their matchmaking.

Really wish they could add a Blue Aiding Soapstone or something that you can set down so only those on your PSN / XBL list can see you.

It was a design choice to specifically not allow co-op with your buddies, because it ruins the mood of the game. Agree or not, that's the deal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You guys and your black knight spoils. All I ever got from them was stinking ore. :smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ah okay, thanks guys! So one more stupid question - what ways are there to get humanity? I know there are items that grant it - I've found a few already - but I sometimes notice I just randomly have a point in it, after not having used any items. Is this also a result of other players upgrading the same bonfire I'm using?
I noticed that I get more humanity more often when I do "special" kills, like parry->riposte, or dodge->counterrattack, or backstabs.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Alectai posted:

That's actually the lower part of the forest. You can either climb up from there, or if you know where the blacksmith in the Parish is, the main entrance is right below him.

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!

coyo7e posted:

I noticed that I get more humanity more often when I do "special" kills, like parry->riposte, or dodge->counterrattack, or backstabs.

Do you get humanity by killing regular guys or does it have to be special guys?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Who teaches you arcane spells? I've found Soul Arrow and Heavy Soul Arrow, but I'd like to get the more useful ones.

This is called Sorcery, and in order to get more you have to free a sorcerer NPC who is pretty close to the entrance to Lower Burg. You will need the residence key from the merchant in Undead Burg (master key does not work here). After going down in the main street area with the 3 poison dogs, to the right you'll hear someone lamenting being stuck in that room. Open the door, talk to them, then return to Firelink and they'll be there waiting for you.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

It was a design choice to specifically not allow co-op with your buddies, because it ruins the mood of the game. Agree or not, that's the deal.

I thought it was a design choice to not emplement anything more robust than the sign placement. I doubt they would filter based on friends lists, but if they did then oh well?

They already have specific world invasions, just not sure how it ruins the mood.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Jesus christ has anyone beaten the Stray Demon? I fall down and then he immediately does a room wide AOE/Unblockable explosion that outright kills me.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

So....That iron boar. What to do.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

The Moon Monster posted:

If you can get past that area you'll be in the rest of the forest. You can also Run past (or kill I suppose) the golem near the undead parish's blacksmith

I killed the golem already, with a longsword +3. One-shotted him too.

So, how do I get past the God drat Artillery platform then?

EDIT: The blacksmith in the Parish? I don't recall seeing any other exits then the one that leads to a big locked gate, and the one that lead to the miniboss, then the Garden, then the Basin (Which leads me to Valley of Drakes or the God drat Artillery Platform)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

JG_Plissken posted:

Do you get humanity by killing regular guys or does it have to be special guys?

I'm pretty sure every humanoid enemy has a random chance of producing non-consumable humanity. I've only found consumable humanity placed on the map or on rats.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy crap. I got into a little fight with some guy who looked like a Tower Knight armed with some kind of giant boomerang club. I got behind him for a crit and barely grazed him, and then he proceeded to absolutely flatten me in one hit. All of me. :stare:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Garin posted:

I thought it was a design choice to not emplement anything more robust than the sign placement. I doubt they would filter based on friends lists, but if they did then oh well?

They already have specific world invasions, just not sure how it ruins the mood.

It doesn't filter out your friends. I was able to see my friend's ghost running past me the other night (which we confirmed through private chat). However, it's based on P2P and it depends on how "close" you are on "the network," whatever that means, so it will be entirely impossible to group up with some people.

RyanManRules posted:

So....That iron boar. What to do.

Lure it into charging into the fire, and/or drop attack it from the ledge above.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Lotish posted:

Holy crap. I got into a little fight with some guy who looked like a Tower Knight armed with some kind of giant boomerang club. I got behind him for a crit and barely grazed him, and then he proceeded to absolutely flatten me in one hit. All of me. :stare:

I beat that guy without him even touching me :smug:. Just retreat up one floor so you can have some room to maneuver.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Mr. Crow posted:

Jesus christ has anyone beaten the Stray Demon? I fall down and then he immediately does a room wide AOE/Unblockable explosion that outright kills me.

My friend says to instantly roll as soon as you fall and try to stay behind him until he rears back for the AoE explosion. Also watch out for him jumping up and slamming the ground - it'll kill you in one hit. I've yet to attempt it but he's only Soul Level 20-30ish.

Time for my own question. I've killed the Gaping Dragon and I unlocked a way into Blightown. I tried going through it, but the enemies seemed way tough, especially the huge ones with the clubs. Ignoring that, what area should I head to? I'm soul level 30.

Edit - I've also killed the Moonlight Butterfly and the Gargoyles.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
I am pretty sure these Gargoyles are impossible at level 15ish or so. :( The first one I can chip away at slowly, but once the second one comes and spams me with fire forget about it. Running around with my starter scimitar and a spear, and these are doing absolutely dick to the gargoyles. What's a better weapon for this point in the game?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I am pretty sure these Gargoyles are impossible at level 15ish or so. :( The first one I can chip away at slowly, but once the second one comes and spams me with fire forget about it. Running around with my starter scimitar and a spear, and these are doing absolutely dick to the gargoyles. What's a better weapon for this point in the game?

The blacksmith near the church/forest area sells the shards needed to upgrade a weapon to +5 if you haven't done that. For the fight I used a Battle Axe +5 and it was pretty effective.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

Additionally, you can farm these guys really fast with a pretty hilarious trick. Aggro all of the humanoids that you can and then run back to the stairwell entrance. If you stand on the cliff beside it they'll run up the stairs one by one and fall down. It's ~6k souls every minute or so.

I plan on doing this, but could you provide more description about what all is right there? I have about 15.5k souls farmed from the Berg (I can do a "run" in about 2 minutes and I get around 700 souls and I've done it so much I rarely get hit) and I'm going to try and get to 20k for the key and then farm in this spot using this method you're talking about.

I'm also terrified of getting from the Burg to the blacksmith. I'm going to try and go backwards to the firelink, take the elevator up and then try and make my way outside to the blacksmith...if I die after farming 20k souls I'm going to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I was having massive trouble with them even at 18-19. I eventually found someone offering to help and with two (human-controlled) people, they are a joke. Remember that your ghost-buddies cannot heal themselves, though. When they get hurt, you need to drink a flask.

• Locked thread