Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I forgot that Rickert starts being able to ascend to magic. When's the earliest I can grab a green shard? I just rang bell one and bought the forest crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Jetpack Postman posted:

To add my own two cents onto this, don't forget that the Great Scythe is also a fantastic weapon to use if you're a Dex build. It has an incredibly long range, good attack power, scales great with Dex, has a relatively fast attack speed (comparable to a Greatsword like the Claymore) and includes very versatile moveset between 1-Handed and 2-Handed styles. It also laughs at shields if you're into PvP. Dex builds can also rock a +15 Balder Side Sword, which is one of the more long-reaching and damaging Longswords in the game.

Seconding the Great Scythe. I roll with a +5 Chaos Great Scythe on my Moonlight Greatsword build and the thing is a beast. I prefer it over the Shotel for dealing with turtles because you can dead angle someone with it from a lot further away then a Shotel's R2 will land.

I really really want to do a Balder Side Sword build. I have one on my Int build I need to check the moveset on. I think if it has the Claymore's strong R2 I'm going to have to give it a go (on a character built for it).

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I decided to go whole hog and invest 50 points in Int just to get the most out of it. I'm assuming the best weapons at this stage are Enchanted Claymore, Moonlight Sword, Moonlight Spear, and maybe Titanite Catch Pole? Also, any tips for landing White Dragon Breath? It's got a good horizontal hitbox and does huge damage, but seem a little tricky to use effectively.

I'm still learning to land White Dragon Breath in PvP. The delay on it makes it tricky to use but also tricky to dodge if you're free aiming it. I did manage to catch one guy with it last night with a free aim.

As to Int Weapons. I would not go Enchanted for PvP, especially if you plan to use Moonlight Greatsword. The reason for this is because Great Magic Barrier will shut down your offense. Carrying a Lightning or Chaos weapon as a back up just makes too much sense. I also start fights with my Chaos Great Scythe and my shield equipped rather then my catalyst or Moonlight Greatsword. Reason being, if I'm already engaged with my opponent when I bust out the magic damage they'll be less likely to get a Great Magic Barrier off.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Drox posted:

I forgot that Rickert starts being able to ascend to magic. When's the earliest I can grab a green shard? I just rang bell one and bought the forest crest.

Pretty much after leaving the asylum and getting to firelink shrine. There is one in new londo ruins, you can just evade the ghosts and grab it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Drox posted:

Alternately, the slimes in the Depths drop them, as do the slugs in Blighttown. So either as soon as you can kill the Capra Demon, or if you have the Master Key you can head down to Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes shortcut.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nerdz posted:

Pretty much after leaving the asylum and getting to firelink shrine. There is one in new londo ruins, you can just evade the ghosts and grab it.

Oh yeah, where exactly is that? I'm gonna go try that real quick.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Drox posted:

Oh yeah, where exactly is that? I'm gonna go try that real quick.

I believe you need a map for that, here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Londo+Ruins

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

oneliquidninja posted:

I really really want to do a Balder Side Sword build. I have one on my Int build I need to check the moveset on. I think if it has the Claymore's strong R2 I'm going to have to give it a go (on a character built for it).
As to Int Weapons. I would not go Enchanted for PvP, especially if you plan to use Moonlight Greatsword. The reason for this is because Great Magic Barrier will shut down your offense. Carrying a Lightning or Chaos weapon as a back up just makes too much sense. I also start fights with my Chaos Great Scythe and my shield equipped rather then my catalyst or Moonlight Greatsword. Reason being, if I'm already engaged with my opponent when I bust out the magic damage they'll be less likely to get a Great Magic Barrier off.

Its R2 is just a big forward stab. Unlike every other longsword, you can R2-R2 it to do a double stab, and it also stabs when you're using it two-handed. It's great for the game part of the game, but only so-so for PVP.

As someone who keeps GMB memorized at all times, you are spot-on with those good ideas. I cast it whenever I see someone waiting in the distance with some homing soul bits up. Sometimes they pull out a moonlight sword after I walk through their opening barrage, and it never works. If we're already stuck in and rolling around, there's never a chance to put up a barrier, and the folks who keep their catalyst tucked away for later can sometimes do real well with a timely soul spear when I'm expecting swordy poo poo.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

StringOfLetters posted:

Its R2 is just a big forward stab. Unlike every other longsword, you can R2-R2 it to do a double stab, and it also stabs when you're using it two-handed. It's great for the game part of the game, but only so-so for PVP.

I should have specified. The two-handed R2 is the one I'm curious about. That short range 180 sweep on the Claymore. I think I could put that to good use on a Balder Side Sword if it has it. My kid's on the TV right now so I can't check myself.

e: I fail at reading comprehension apparently, you just said it also stabs when you two-hand it :(

vv: Crystal Homing Soul mass.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 13, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's that arch of star poo poo floating over the head and shoulders of players?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

On that same note, does anyone know what causes the blueish white orb things on people's feet? I have no idea what that effect is.

e: Thanks :)

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 13, 2011

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

oneliquidninja posted:

On that same note, does anyone know what causes the blueish white orb things on people's feet? I have no idea what that effect is.

That's the 'doesn't make noise while walking' effect. You can get it from a ring or by casting Hush.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's the slumbering dragon ring, it just makes you move silently.

The floating stars is a spell that launches bolts at nearby enemies. Trivial to dodge most of the time.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Is there a list anywhere of the phantoms you get in your world when you're cursed by a gravelord?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

oneliquidninja posted:

I should have specified. The two-handed R2 is the one I'm curious about. That short range 180 sweep on the Claymore. I think I could put that to good use on a Balder Side Sword if it has it. My kid's on the TV right now so I can't check myself.

e: I fail at reading comprehension apparently, you just said it also stabs when you two-hand it :(

vv: Crystal Homing Soul mass.

The Baldr sword is longsword-classed, the claymore's a greatsword. You may have known that, but they're not directly comparable. If you want a longsword that does a horizontal sweep R2 instead of a stab, go for the 'Broadsword' for a bit extra damage or Kirk's thorn-sword for bleeding. Or a silver knight sword, they're pretty great without much as scaling, and they're dexterity-y.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The murakumo has like a 210 degree R1 but pumping enough strength for it can limit your build options.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
drat, I'm like level 45 on my first character and put a bunch of points into Resistance at the urging of the strategy guide. I seem to be doing ok, but I notice every goon newbie guide repeats several times not to put points there. Boo :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gently caress, wrong thread.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 14, 2011

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Count Bleck posted:

Veigar's walking animation has been changed. Again. :toot:

Sweet! Now he should finally be able to land his AoE stun on the four kings.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Count Bleck posted:

Veigar's walking animation has been changed. Again. :toot:

Wrong thread, I think.

Although I would love Dark Souls guy in LoL. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Feenix posted:

What's that arch of star poo poo floating over the head and shoulders of players?

Sounds like Homing Soulmass or Crystal Homing Soulmass. When you get close to them, do they fly towards you?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blind Sally posted:

Sounds like Homing Soulmass or Crystal Homing Soulmass. When you get close to them, do they fly towards you?

Only seen it on Blue Phantoms assisting me.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Ugh just lost 30,000 souls at around level 15 at it was sort of a balcony near the church pews near the gate where you first kill the mechanical bull. That priest guy shot some bolt at me just as I was running in to collect my corpse I know it's early game and I will earn the souls back, but it hurt. Was saving those for the next armorer I run across :/

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

artism posted:

Ugh just lost 30,000 souls at around level 15 at it was sort of a balcony near the church pews near the gate where you first kill the mechanical bull. That priest guy shot some bolt at me just as I was running in to collect my corpse I know it's early game and I will earn the souls back, but it hurt. Was saving those for the next armorer I run across :/

Don't worry about it. Once you get to the Depths you can rake in the souls by way of jolly co-operation!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's an armored bull! No robots in dark souls.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

artism posted:

Never horde souls when you're exploring a new area.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

diospadre posted:

armored boar, you can get its head as a cool-rear end helmet

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
On my second playthtough (not NG+, new character,) and doing so much better than the first time around...it's amazing how much of this game is just "don't be retarded" and not "hey, now I have more strength and can kick rear end!"

Already rung the first bell, less than two hours in, and that's with taking things slow.

But no one is summoning me for their Gargoyle fight. :saddowns:

I'm level 12...that should be perfect for that fight.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Jetpack Postman posted:

To add my own two cents onto this, don't forget that the Great Scythe is also a fantastic weapon to use if you're a Dex build. It has an incredibly long range, good attack power, scales great with Dex, has a relatively fast attack speed (comparable to a Greatsword like the Claymore) and includes very versatile moveset between 1-Handed and 2-Handed styles. It also laughs at shields if you're into PvP. Dex builds can also rock a +15 Balder Side Sword, which is one of the more long-reaching and damaging Longswords in the game.

And it adds BLEED

I kinda hate that I feel like I HAVE to go get the flip ring if I want to continue aiding people in Anor Londo. Red phantoms there ALWAYS seem to have that ring and are good at backstabbing you when you are behind them.

I kinda also wish that there was more interesting farming to be done around the 2nd bonfire while you are waiting to be summoned...the silver knights are kinda boring, and screw farming those giant guardians.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 14, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DrBouvenstein posted:

But no one is summoning me for their Gargoyle fight. :saddowns:

If only you could be grossly incandescent. Then you would get summoned!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Ugh, I accidentally hit the female undead merchant in the lower undead burg and now she won't have anything to do with me.

shall I go an absolve my sins (will this make her friendly again?) or do I not need her much....

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

MZ posted:

Ugh, I accidentally hit the female undead merchant in the lower undead burg and now she won't have anything to do with me.

shall I go an absolve my sins (will this make her friendly again?) or do I not need her much....

Did you already go through Blighttown? Because having some of that toxic curing moss sure helps. Although you could just farm a couple of treants and hope they drop.

And yeah, if you absolve your sins, yes, she'll be friendly again.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

diospadre posted:

The Iron Golem would like a word with you. :colbert:

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

buzzsaw.gif posted:

And it adds BLEED...

and screw farming those giant guardians.

Speaking of bleed, bleed makes those things cake to farm. A katana does the trick really well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any areas that a new players should just skip completely (assuming they aren't needed to beat the game of course)? Like the painted world, or darkroot basin.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

gravyflood posted:

I think that falls under constructs, thank you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gravyflood posted:

Magically animated suit of armor :colbert:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Did you already go through Blighttown? Because having some of that toxic curing moss sure helps. Although you could just farm a couple of treants and hope they drop.

And yeah, if you absolve your sins, yes, she'll be friendly again.

Nope not been there yet...

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Are there any areas that a new players should just skip completely (assuming they aren't needed to beat the game of course)? Like the painted world, or darkroot basin.

Darkroot Basin is pretty skippable but only because it has little of interest in it. I don't think any areas are worth skipping. Painted World is one of the best looking areas in the game. Many people skip upper Blighttown though I think it's worth doing at least once.

I guess I should mention Great Hollow and Ash Lake are not only skippable but that you can also go through the whole game and not realize they exist. Unless you are absolutely terrified of the prospect of being cursed they aren't too much trouble but they are in no way required, though you must go to Ash Lake to finish Seigmeyer's storyline.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 14, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Magically animated suit of armor :colbert:

Well, okay, but I think we can at least all agree that the game has cyboargs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

gravyflood posted:

Well, okay, but I think we can at least all agree that the game has cyboargs.

Praise the pun!

• Locked thread