Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, fog doors, just like usual. Also sitting down at a bonfire is basically like returning to the nexus, it instantly resets everything. What's funny though is that if you walk into a bonfire room with an enemy chasing you, it will stop chasing you and slooowly back out of the room.

Except Dark Knights, one chased me down and murdered me after I stood up from the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Do the magic classes use shields? That might be my best bet if they don't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

Do the magic classes use shields? That might be my best bet if they don't.
You can equip anyone with anything you want.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

bleep posted:

Giant Bomb uploaded an 85 minute quick look if anyone wants to see more gameplay.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/

Using spoilers to be safe but it was great how the guy was looking down at the first boss talking then it just flew up to him and knocked him the gently caress down. Good to see that they are getting some moves that will catch some people unaware.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Also how apparent is it that you've been invaded? Are there still escape spells that get grayed out, does the red menacing text appear immediately?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can equip anyone with anything you want.

How viable are two handers early on. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

How viable are two handers early on. :(
With heavy armor, probably pretty good. Without, you'd take a lot of block damage.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Samurai Sanders posted:

With heavy armor, probably pretty good. Without, you'd take a lot of block damage.

I'm guessing heavt armor takes a little bit to get?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

I'm guessing heavt armor takes a little bit to get?
The knight class starts with heavy armor.

edit: the issue is that shields typically absorb 100% of damage when you use them to block, but blocking with your weapon absorbs only 70%. Other than that, blocking is the same. The advantages of two-handing weapons is that they do more damage, need a lower strength stat in order to use (since your strength stat is effectively per arm), and your weapon is less likely to glance off walls and enemy shields.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 29, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Leyburn posted:

Everyone who is playing the game right now. gently caress you.

And in advance for Tuesday, all Americans, gently caress you too!

Wait, isn't it released in the UK on Tuesday the 4th?

EDIT: THE loving 7TH? gently caress.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Wait, isn't it released in the UK on Tuesday the 4th?

7th for us unfortunately.

What gear does the bandit start out with?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Valkrye posted:

7th for us unfortunately.

What gear does the bandit start out with?

Looks like a scimitar in the picture, but someone else mentioned a battle axe?? I dunno, his armor is cool as hell though.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Samurai Sanders posted:

The knight class starts with heavy armor.

edit: the issue is that shields typically absorb 100% of damage when you use them to block, but blocking with your weapon absorbs only 70%. Other than that, blocking is the same. The advantages of two-handing weapons is that they do more damage, need a lower strength stat in order to use (since your strength stat is effectively per arm), and your weapon is less likely to glance off walls and enemy shields.

I'm just trying to find the easiest route, since I cannot use the block button, unless I can change it. Which I probably cannot. If anyone can point me to a fully programmable controller for the xb360, that'd be sweet.

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004
I started playing Demon Souls after getting all hyped up for Dark. I really loved the game, despite not getting far into it. I'm kind of lost as for what I should be doing. I'm soul level 36 Knight (I think). Some of my equipment... Fluted Armor, Purple Flame Shield, Adjudicator's Shield, Spiked Shield, Quality Winged Spear +2, Broad Sword, Compound Long/Short Bow, Cling Ring, Thief's Ring, Regen Ring, and some resistance rings. Looks like I've cleared 1-1/2, 2-1, and 4-1. Pretty sure when I stopped I had some grand plan, but right now I have no real goal other than not dying. Someone want to give me a goal, like hunt down a critical piece of equipment I'm missing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

I'm just trying to find the easiest route, since I cannot use the block button, unless I can change it. Which I probably cannot. If anyone can point me to a fully programmable controller for the xb360, that'd be sweet.
Uh...are you missing a finger or something?

Also if you are two-handing a weapon than both the left trigger and the left bumper block. Does that help?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Samurai Sanders posted:

Uh...are you missing a finger or something?

Also if you are two-handing a weapon than both the left trigger and the left bumper block. Does that help?

I can't use my left hand. :( I use my wrist to move and stuff. I mean, I guess I can quickly hit LB with my right hand.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

I can't use my left hand. :( I use my wrist to move and stuff. I mean, I guess I can quickly hit LB with my right hand.
Oh, I see. Sorry, I don't know how you could play this game effectively with only one hand.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

der juicen posted:

Without blocking? Do a run/roll light sword style and two hand it (like a longsword). It's pretty effective, and you can swap and two hand a lighter spear for most stuff. With mid/heavy armor you can survive like that pretty well, it's how I farm areas since the strikes are quicker, but you have to know the enemies' patterns a good bit better. Are you just missing your index finger(or is it in a brace, ect.? if that's all I heard about some nifty controller mounted doohicky that mounts and sits near your thumb....(sorry if that's too personal)

efb;
And sorry, but it could be possible rolling the style I talked about above -depending- on how well you can move the joystick :3:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Darth Windu posted:

Looks like a scimitar in the picture, but someone else mentioned a battle axe?? I dunno, his armor is cool as hell though.

Scimitar is in the art, but the class is confirmed to use a battle axe.

der juicen posted:

That's kind of harsh, but the best I can suggest is to try playing with the controller slightly between your legs so you can hit the bumper with your left knee, unless reaching over it actually feasible for you (I can't reach that far without letting go of the right half of the controller).

Alternatively, start with the highest dex you can (warrior, thief, wanderer or hunter, I think) or go Sorcerer, pump memory/attunement for more spell slots and try and stay out of melee altogether.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 29, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

der juicen posted:

Real Dark Souls starts here. I salute you for even starting this game.

You should pick a light class who relies on rolling, so blocking is less of an issue.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pallet Pusher posted:

I started playing Demon Souls after getting all hyped up for Dark. I really loved the game, despite not getting far into it. I'm kind of lost as for what I should be doing. I'm soul level 36 Knight (I think). Some of my equipment... Fluted Armor, Purple Flame Shield, Adjudicator's Shield, Spiked Shield, Quality Winged Spear +2, Broad Sword, Compound Long/Short Bow, Cling Ring, Thief's Ring, Regen Ring, and some resistance rings. Looks like I've cleared 1-1/2, 2-1, and 4-1. Pretty sure when I stopped I had some grand plan, but right now I have no real goal other than not dying. Someone want to give me a goal, like hunt down a critical piece of equipment I'm missing?

You pretty much have to bite the bullet, pick a level, and beat it. The weapons you have now are pretty good, although there's a dragon longsword you can find in 2-2 that's very useful for worlds 3 and 5. Consider wearing armor thats light enough to let you do the quick roll.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

der juicen posted:

Good luck dude. These games are brutally hard with two hands, so I can't imagine playing them with one. I think your best bet is to use a two-handed weapon and pump Strength as much as you can to increase your swing speed. I used the Great Sword (the second largest sword in the game) for the entirety of a Demon's Souls run, and it works well once you get the timing down for all of your moves.

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

You pretty much have to bite the bullet, pick a level, and beat it. The weapons you have now are pretty good, although there's a dragon longsword you can find in 2-2 that's very useful for worlds 3 and 5. Consider wearing armor thats light enough to let you do the quick roll.

Thanks. Can I just buy some leather armor or is there something I can find? All I have is Fluted which is not light at all.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Thanks yall. I've pretty much trained myself since my accident happened, once I figured ?I could play games. I've nearly beaten Deus Ex on second hardest difficulty, beaten asscred, dragon age 2, currently playing Madden and NHL, which use the left stick to move. Well, all those games do. I've gotten use to hitting LB fast enough in those games that need it.

I think I may have a chance with a range character or a rolling tank. I don't like shields anyways. :colbert:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Pallet Pusher posted:

Thanks. Can I just buy some leather armor or is there something I can find? All I have is Fluted which is not light at all.

There's Black Leather in one of the Iron Maidens in 2-1.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Moon Monster posted:

To add to this, the bulk of enemies in world 3 are vulnerable to physical damage, while those in world 2 are vulnerable to magic (and piercing). In world 4 they're vulnerable to crushing (for the most part), while they're weak to fire in world 5. A solid idea is to explore the first part of world 5 with whatever fire tools you have (spells, weapons, oils) until you find the blessed mace +1, then use the regen and crushing on that to get through world 4, where the souls are plentiful and the loot is good.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

der juicen posted:

Thanks yall. I've pretty much trained myself since my accident happened, once I figured ?I could play games. I've nearly beaten Deus Ex on second hardest difficulty, beaten asscred, dragon age 2, currently playing Madden and NHL, which use the left stick to move. Well, all those games do. I've gotten use to hitting LB fast enough in those games that need it.

I think I may have a chance with a range character or a rolling tank. I don't like shields anyways. :colbert:

Go Voltron mode, have a friend put his hand on the left side, and have your hand on the right side of the controller.

Then play the game :hfive:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Pallet Pusher posted:

Finishing up World 2 shouldn't be too hard with the equipment you have. Also you can do some quality grinding at the beginning of 4-2 with your bow.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

der juicen posted:

I'd say go light armor for as quick a roll as possible. Being able to avoid attacks will probably be more useful than taking things on the chin in heavy armor. Heavy armor tends to make you really slow, so dodging becomes difficult. It's not so bad with a shield, but you usually have to hold the block button down, not just tap it every once in a while.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What's the item used at 1:23:59 here?

http://www.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295696447

It causes him to warp somewhere else and changes his appearance to this blackish shade, and makes his enemies look different too

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I know there's a Demon Souls topic but there's probably more people here so I'll ask too: I've beaten 1-1, 1-2 and I'm working on the first part of Tower Of Latria to get the spell npc dude. I started as royalty for the mp regen ring and so far I've just been using souls to raise magic attack..probably going for a pure magic character but is there any equipment I should be looking out for? Most of what I've found is too heavy for me or seems more physical oriented..I haven't changed any of my gear at all. I just upgraded my buckler to +1 and I have a cling ring I think.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I know there's a Demon Souls topic but there's probably more people here so I'll ask too: I've beaten 1-1, 1-2 and I'm working on the first part of Tower Of Latria to get the spell npc dude. I started as royalty for the mp regen ring and so far I've just been using souls to raise magic attack..probably going for a pure magic character but is there any equipment I should be looking out for? Most of what I've found is too heavy for me or seems more physical oriented..I haven't changed any of my gear at all. I just upgraded my buckler to +1 and I have a cling ring I think.

The Cresent Falchion in 4-1 would be a big help to you, since it uses your magic stat as a damage multiplier. Also gives you MP regen so you can replace that ring with something else.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

As Palleon mentioned, you need a Crescent weapon so you can drop the Fragrant Ring. The falchion in 4-1 is probably the "easiest" to get - otherwise, you'll need to upgrade another weapon to +6 then start farming level 5 for the stones you need for Crescent.

Here's how to get the falchion in 4-1: when you go through the first fog door, immediately turn left. Walk down the tunnel (have your shield up) and go out the door on the ground floor of the tower. There's a black skeleton here that will ruin your poo poo, so run past him, grab the sword, then jump down so the skeleton resets.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

der juicen posted:

I just googled around a bit, so maybe you've already seen this one.
http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/WildFire2-Wireless-Controller-for-Xbox-360-__EF000932.aspx

Checked that out? Lets you remap buttons by hooking it up to a PC. Some reviews says its pretty wonky except for that though.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Forget the buckler, grab a heater shield at least. Shields that block less than 100% physical damage are pretty useless.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

What's the item used at 1:23:59 here?

http://www.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295696447

It causes him to warp somewhere else and changes his appearance to this blackish shade, and makes his enemies look different too

Dark Orbyou pick up and can use to revenge on someone who killed your flame maiden. Mine was killed last night, hadn't had a chance to revenge her yet. Now I know what to look for ;3

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Forget the buckler, grab a heater shield at least. Shields that block less than 100% physical damage are pretty useless.

The adjudicator shield is good. It only blocks 90% physical but it gives health regen.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
IGN are running a 24-hour marathon for some reason if anyone's bored and fancies a quasi-LP experience: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Ornamented Death posted:

As Palleon mentioned, you need a Crescent weapon so you can drop the Fragrant Ring. The falchion in 4-1 is probably the "easiest" to get - otherwise, you'll need to upgrade another weapon to +6 then start farming level 5 for the stones you need for Crescent.

Here's how to get the falchion in 4-1: when you go through the first fog door, immediately turn left. Walk down the tunnel (have your shield up) and go out the door on the ground floor of the tower. There's a black skeleton here that will ruin your poo poo, so run past him, grab the sword, then jump down so the skeleton resets.

First time I saw that thing, I was so intimated that I edged towards him shield up. Of course his first attack breaks my guard completely, while taking off half my health. The next attack took me out completely.

Later though, he became a part of my Skeleton Speed Soulgrinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

k3nn posted:

IGN are running a 24-hour marathon for some reason if anyone's bored and fancies a quasi-LP experience: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Direct link: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/28/ign-live-24-hours-of-dark-souls

She's right around the start as a Pyromancer going through the same area the GB QL crew went through. They're playing the 360 version.

• Locked thread