Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

How was it that you're supposed to plink away at the Drake in the Undead Burg? I've got some time to kill wasting arrows on it.

Edit: Mostly wondering how many arrows it will take from a normal Shortbow. Don't want to waste a bunch of time grinding souls for arrows only to find out I don't actually have enough.

Edit part two: \/\/\/\/\/ It sounded like someone had completely killed it from there, which was what I was curious about. I've already grabbed the Drake Sword

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

ArchRanger posted:

How was it that you're supposed to plink away at the Drake in the Undead Burg? I've got some time to kill wasting arrows on it.

Look for the message below the bridge saying "snipe from here" and start aiming for the tail, should take 30-40 arrows or so. You get the item automatically after you shoot it often enough.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't think you can actually summon people into your game until you get the white stone after killing the bull demon.

This is false.

But regarding summoning; no one is summoning me in the Undead Burg, what the gently caress losers, summon me so I can play internet games with you!

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

OK, I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game. For some reason, the game will sometimes bug out and decide that when I hit RB, it's just going to wait for a few seconds before actually making my character attack. And of course the attack always starts right when I should be holding up my shield. Has anyone else seen this happen? It's not my controller either, I tried using a different one and the same issue kept happening.

I'm glad you posted this because I've been having the same issue with my game. I don't know if it's a problem many other people are having but it's intensely annoying and has gotten me hosed at least a half dozen times.

On a different note, have any 360 players here had any significant player interaction? I see a decent amount of messages (most are never rated compared to DeS messages with 1000+ ratings, though that game's been out longer) and ghosts, but I have never been invaded, seen a vagrant, seen summon signs, or been summoned despite numerous attempts. The game is still great but I feel like I'm really missing out on what makes it so unique. I see people talking about their multiplayer experiences...but where the hell IS everybody?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Pomale posted:

but where the hell IS everybody?

Because the game runs on Peer to Peer connections, your peers are based off matchmaking in your local area to make sure there's as little lag as possible. So you'll experience less people right now, since it's just after release. Give it a week or so.

e: And you're a 360 player, which has a smaller playerbase I'd imagine

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hey folks. A friend of mine and I are playing well, but he's lagging a bit behind me in exploration. I've managed to find a basement key that leads to the lower portion of town. I know there is a lot of good stuff there, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I found the drat thing. Or my halberd, for that matter. Does anyone with better memory know where I could find either of those things?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Did I just get lucky somehow, or is the Gaping Dragon boss seriously that easy? He looks intimidating as hell, but barely paid attention to me at all for most of the fight. Most of the time, he just did that attack where he leaps up, comes back down, and slams his jaws into the ground, but it never came close to hitting me. Then he would completely ignore me and start walking away into a wall or something, where I would slash at his sides. His vomit attack didn't hit me either. I feel like he glitched out or something, there's no way it was that simple. I just hacked his sides until he died.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The first time I fought him I died to being stupid and the second time I killed him without getting hit once. He was disappointingly easy considering how badass he looked.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
gently caress that bigsword knight. gently caress 'im good.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level
He's very easy. Took him down my 3rd attempt, only reason I didn't down him my 2nd try was because I didn't notice the enormous cliff in the back of the room.

I also sort of wondered if he was bugging out on me was well, because he would repeat the same 2 move pattern and completely negate half of his moves against me.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So how am I supposed to get through the Catacombs without being overwhelmed? All the skeletons keep respawning after I kill them. Is there some way to permanently destroy them?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

CardTech posted:

He's very easy. Took him down my 3rd attempt, only reason I didn't down him my 2nd try was because I didn't notice the enormous cliff in the back of the room.

I also sort of wondered if he was bugging out on me was well, because he would repeat the same 2 move pattern and completely negate half of his moves against me.

So did you knock him off the edge or just backstab?

J
Jun 10, 2001

The guide says you can buy large titanite shards at a "crestfallen merchant", where is this merchant?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's the deal with the Pendant gift? I *really* want the master key, but I don't want to lose out on any plot-related stuff.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level

!amicable posted:

So did you knock him off the edge or just backstab?

No, just me accidentally running off it. Guess that's what I get for running towards the camera. I took him down normally.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Hakkesshu posted:

What's the deal with the Pendant gift? I *really* want the master key, but I don't want to lose out on any plot-related stuff.

So make a thief? Not like your starting class matters very long anyway.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

CardTech posted:

No, just me accidentally running off it. Guess that's what I get for running towards the camera. I took him down normally.

I keep loving up and he one shots me. Which is annoying. I also don't like the circle tango thing that happens with the spear knights. Arg! I wish I could break through their shields.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So how am I supposed to get through the Catacombs without being overwhelmed? All the skeletons keep respawning after I kill them. Is there some way to permanently destroy them?

Kill the litch. You have to run past some of them till you get to the first bonfire. From there, you can try to eliminate the first litch. There are four or five of them in total throughout the catacombs, each resurrecting skeletons within a certain range. Have fun!

Speaking of catacombs, anyone know how to access the smithy there? I can hear him on the other side of a wall down below!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

serling posted:

Kill the litch. You have to run past some of them till you get to the first bonfire. From there, you can try to eliminate the first litch. There are four or five of them in total throughout the catacombs, each resurrecting skeletons within a certain range. Have fun!
Thanks!

Also, I'm an idiot. I was getting really frustrated at having to kill the big skeleton in the graveyard every time I wanted to get to the Catacombs, but I just realized that the clearing he's in is not actually on the path, so you can just run right past him. :doh:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Wow there is so much territory to explore. I've played for seven hours and I feel like I've only scratched the surface. I have so many paths to try and each one is full of pain.

This game is awesome. Also the best class is Deprived. Nothing like starting out as a naked, emaciated mummy with a stick of wood, then eventually killing everything in sight with a halberd, a shield and metal boar helmet. :black101:

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Hope this happens to all of you guys because ugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEEcWNsfQk

Happened a few times in Demon's Souls for me too

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Took leave at work for tomorrow, and put down a pre-order on this game (EU), I hope to God this won't be a waste of $64, never played Demons Souls, but hearing so much good stuff about this title.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just lost 10,000 souls thanks to curse and not being able to find a bonfire in The Depths.

Games an rear end in a top hat.

the Paper posted:

Is anyone else having trouble summoning phantoms? Forgive me if this has been answered, but whenever I try to summon someone it always says "summoning failed". Is this a known issue with the game, does it require a restart of my ps3 or something? I'm right before the gargoyle bosses and would like some help.

Had that problem earlier. Still haven't joined or assisted anyone. Just get the Drake Sword and 5 shot the gargoyle. It means you're good at hard games or something.

Buckwild Dorf fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 6, 2011

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Is anyone else having trouble summoning phantoms? Forgive me if this has been answered, but whenever I try to summon someone it always says "summoning failed". Is this a known issue with the game, does it require a restart of my ps3 or something? I'm right before the gargoyle bosses and would like some help.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

So make a thief? Not like your starting class matters very long anyway.

Do this, farm hollows for an axe, you'll thank me after you cleave the first real boss in halve :black101:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

the Paper posted:

I've gotten one summoning to work so far and had another fail. It's conceivable that someone else might be trying to summon the same guy at the same time as you are. I don't know how many times you've tried though so who knows.

Also, it's possible for the sun knight guy who gave you the white stone to show up as a summon possibility right before the gargoyles' door. He's not particularly smart but a second target for the gargoyles is a godsend. Plus he has some sort of lightning bow that does shitloads of damage to them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So what's the best way to get past that first dragon? I managed to get down below once or twice but thanks to poor judgement and silliness I died to the two guys down there.

Should I strip down to nudity in order to just book it straight across the bridge? I tried it in light armor but I just didn't move fast enough, even to bait him and then run backwards.

Also, I feel like a wimp beating the Taurus Demon by spamming firebombs. I used up all my black firebombs on the first attempt and so I beat him in the end just by buying a bunch of normal firebombs and chucking them.

And my soul level is now 12. Started as a wanderer, so far my equipment is the Wooden Shield and Longsword. That Black Knight dropped his sword, so I'm probably going to switch to it and am currently dumping all my points into STR and DEX.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I messed around with a lot of weapon types near the bonfire and the first merchant. What determines if your kick will break the spear guys' guard? When I had the Drake sword, every kick broke it. But when I switched to anything else, it didn't. The spear seems like a lot of fun for poking, I wonder if there will be a good one later on in the game.

Dual wielding is hilarious, especially with weird combinations like the Claymore and the short sword. Too bad any combination is completely nonviable since blocking without a shield takes damage and you have to play this game so conservatively.

How do I drop weapons to create phantoms for other players?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Take this with a grain of salt because I am still pretty early on in the game, but I really don't know what I think about Dark Souls yet. It's beautiful, it plays like Demon's Souls and it's really awesome but I feel like it's grindy and I realized that I stopped having fun hours ago. That sense of progression that made me love Demon's hasn't come into full force for me yet. It just feels tedious and confusing.

This was definitely my take on the game until just a few hours ago when I realized that upgrading your weapons is a lot more helpful than leveling when you first find the blacksmith. I started as a deprived, found a shield, bought some chain leggings, and pumped strength and dex until I could wield the winged spear. Now, I've got a +5 winged spear, the Drake Sword, and a shield that speeds up stamina recovery. My character went from a miserable orange zombie to untouchable titan who rarely has less than 5 humanity on him, and I still don't have enough endurance to put on a shirt. After playing today, I feel like progression is actually more rewarding than in Demon's Souls.

Also, for anyone struggling with melee, I haven't met an enemy yet that I couldn't roll around (DkS's circle strafe) and backstab.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I had heard there is a weapon you can get in the tutorial area with the master key. Could someone explain how I can get that?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Regulus74 posted:

a shield that speeds up stamina recovery

Could you share where you found this?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Question. How do you aim with your light crossbow? I'm itching to take that drake sword, but I can't seem to free aim with it. I play on the 360.

By the way, after dying at least six times to it, i finally beat the Taurus, I knew his pattern, but gently caress me, i couldn't dodge with all that heavy armor, and a wrong roll gets you plastered.

I beat this guy, the earliest legit boss, and i feel the a rush that you seldom find even when going through final area stages in other games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Thank you everyone, for talking about this game. I'm currently running around the Undead Burg, and this game is fantastic. The feeling of choice is great, and the challenge is even better.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also, it's possible for the sun knight guy who gave you the white stone to show up as a summon possibility right before the gargoyles' door. He's not particularly smart but a second target for the gargoyles is a godsend. Plus he has some sort of lightning bow that does shitloads of damage to them.

Is this the guy chilling by the bonfire at Firelink? I was messing around and hit him a couple times with my axe and pissed him off. So he killed me. Then I would spawn at the bonfire and he killed me again. He did this for 3 hours. Now, I feel alot more confident in my skills. Although that first creepy run down the spiral stairs to the knight with the awesome huge boomerang sword was pretty intense.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 6, 2011

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

bewilderment posted:

So what's the best way to get past that first dragon? I managed to get down below once or twice but thanks to poor judgement and silliness I died to the two guys down there.

Should I strip down to nudity in order to just book it straight across the bridge? I tried it in light armor but I just didn't move fast enough, even to bait him and then run backwards.

Sprint to the stairs, then look around down the stairs cause there's a ladder you can kick down to get to a bonfire. Then after that you can kill those guys and snipe his tail.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Question. How do you aim with your light crossbow? I'm itching to take that drake sword, but I can't seem to free aim with it. I play on the 360.
You can only aim with bows (as in plain bows, not crossbows)

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Regulus74 posted:

This was definitely my take on the game until just a few hours ago when I realized that upgrading your weapons is a lot more helpful than leveling when you first find the blacksmith. I started as a deprived, found a shield, bought some chain leggings, and pumped strength and dex until I could wield the winged spear. Now, I've got a +5 winged spear, the Drake Sword, and a shield that speeds up stamina recovery. My character went from a miserable orange zombie to untouchable titan who rarely has less than 5 humanity on him, and I still don't have enough endurance to put on a shirt. After playing today, I feel like progression is actually more rewarding than in Demon's Souls.
I have to agree with this. Upgrading is extremely important in this game, much more important than leveling at the start. Once I got the Drake Sword and a better shield and set of armor, I had way less trouble progressing. If you are stuck, try upgrading your gear before you try leveling.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

!amicable posted:

This is false.

But regarding summoning; no one is summoning me in the Undead Burg, what the gently caress losers, summon me so I can play internet games with you!

I was able to summon several times yesterday, but for some reason I didn't see any summoning marks today. I even left my mark and waited several times but no one summoned me :(

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's official, dual crossbows is the best build.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

How do you equip firebombs? It will only let me cast the from the menu.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's official, dual crossbows is the best build.

You misspelled Dual Shields. (Which actually works)

Also, you have to equip the firebombs on your items list, then scroll to them by pressing down, then use the item button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

OK, I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game. For some reason, the game will sometimes bug out and decide that when I hit RB, it's just going to wait for a few seconds before actually making my character attack. And of course the attack always starts right when I should be holding up my shield. Has anyone else seen this happen? It's not my controller either, I tried using a different one and the same issue kept happening.
This is actually a pretty major bug people have been complaining about since the Japanese release. It doesn't happen that often, but it loving sucks when you get murdered because your attack got buffered for a couple of seconds. Really hoping they patch that, along with some of the few other major bugs.

• Locked thread