Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I'm considering getting a console to play these games since they seem to be exactly what I want. I don't want to start a console war or whatever, but I am curious .. If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Okay PS3 it is then. Thanks for the information.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

I mostly avoided placing summon signs down thus far in my play through, but then I started and now I can't stop. I love souls and humanity. I also love having a group of three or so and taking down some gigantic fucker. I almost wish the game had some sort of normal co-op mode, but it's too good for that, I suppose.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

EC posted:

No offense to you personally, but stop loving saying this. By all accounts the PS3 community IS bigger, but there's still TONS of people playing online on the Xbox. My SL40 Blighttown invader doesn't go more than 3 minutes before invasions. My SL110 build has tons of summons AND invasions in New Londo, the Archives, and the Burg. My SL70-something invader troll in the Catacombs gets invaded constantly.

Again, nothing personal, and I know the PS3 community is bigger, but I'm tired of seeing this bandied about like the truth.

Carry on, then. :)

I couldn't agree more. I joined the forest covenant (just to try it out) and I couldn't go more than a minute without invading some poor sap/some rear end in a top hat with gear way, way higher than he should have. It's been pretty packed full of summon signs, too. Anor Londo, Gargoyles, Queelag, and Gaping Dragon have been extremely easy to summon more than one person, even at 4 AM when I play.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 26, 2012

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

I thought it would be fun to gimmick a divine whip through the catacombs, but I can't find head gear that looks like an Indiana Jones hat. What is the closest thing?

Fake Edit: drat, nothing. Nothing at all. I'm disappointed. Still gonna whip some skeletons into shape! (I know it's going to suck, but I'm committed now.)

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

I love trolling people with the ladder in the forest covenant.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Yeah, it's not really worth it. Plus, hanging around New Londo sucks rear end. Even though I have all the positions for Dark Wraiths memorized, running around there without a sunlight helm freaks me the hell out.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Why is this? That bonfire has a bunch of silver knights in the way, even to the shortest route to O&S. Meanwhile, the tomb bonfire or the starting bonfire has you fighting nothing but four giant guards and a single silver knight. Seems like boss-fighters would take the shorter route.

That bonfire only has 2 silver knights you have to fight, and a lot of people just run by the main chamber with two giants and the archer.

Also, most people having trouble with O&S are probably not going to be doing much back tracking to find summon signs.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 11, 2012

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Norns posted:

Sub 720. Pretty sure they said it was 1024 by 720 if I recall correctly. Sigh.

I'm pretty sure that guy just mis-spoke and it's actually going to be 1280x720. I can't possibly imagine them rewriting code to make the game run at 1024x720, since they can't be arsed to make it 1920x1080.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Lord of Laughton posted:

One thing I've never been able to grasp with the 100+ hours I put into this game was how the weaponry works. I keep hearing everywhere that any weapon is viable to use, and that you just have to find the one who's moveset jives well with your own playstyle, but that hasn't really been my experience so far.

My first character was a cookie cutter STR/Zwei +5 lightning/Havel armor and was able to mow through 2.5 playthroughs pretty easily (except for O+S and Lord Gwyn the second time). I had gotten my STR to level 50 so I could wield some of the larger weapons efficiently, but none of them ever did as much damage as the lightning Zwei, even ones that were at +15 (I think it was a Demon Greataxe or Demon Machete or something).

Now I'm trying a DEX build, and I want to raise it to high levels to get the most out of the DEX scaling weapons. Right now I'm using an Estoc +5 but it did minimal damage against the Gaping Dragon. I killed him eventually; I fought him for 20 minutes, running away, waiting until he dropped down and charged forward before hitting him for a meager 216 damage before needing to run away again and repeat the process. I feel as if this fight should not have taken this long (maybe I'm wrong though?). Things were a bit faster when I used lightning resin, but it wouldn't last very long. Couldn't really go back and upgrade my Estoc further, since large titanite shards aren't exactly common in the early areas.

I also struggle with which armor to use... my intuition tells me to always get the best physical defense, which is probably why I used Havel on my first playthrough, and I have a hard time coming to terms with sacrificing survivability for mobility... but that can be a different post.

Any tips or advice how to weaponize yourself once you find a weapon you like? Should certain weapons be avoided depending where you are leveling your stats?

A weapon like the Estoc isn't a great boss weapon. It can be quite good when you can backstab or parry/riposte, but by default, you should avoid using it against bosses. Keep another weapon close by for boss battles, but don't upgrade them down the same path for obvious reasons (nobody wants to farm 16 red titanite chunks and 2 slabs for 2 +5 Chaos weapons.)

I don't know, though, maybe I'm weird because I like to have two main weapons (my latest run involves a +5 Chaos Falchion as my main, but I have a Lightning Uchigatana as a back up)

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

I dunno, I'll still be buying and playing the gently caress out of it, but it just seems to me like it's at least noticeably easier, but they're trying really hard to cover that up.

This logic confounds me. If they know that making it easier is a bad thing (hence trying to desperately cover it up) why would they do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Genocyber posted:

My favorite camera issue is when, if you're locked on to an enemy, and do much fast running around in circles, the camera will go all weird (I guess you could say it inverts itself?). I've found it happens most in the forest, likely due to all those trees.

I have had this exclusively happen to me in Demon Ruins. Those loving rock-worm/acid-bug/awful things on the way to the large flame ember do it to me sometimes if I'm meleeing them. The Centipede Demon has done it to me twice, as well.

It's like the camera decides to lock on to the player's face? It's hilarious, so I don't mind it, and it has never actually killed me.

Stringbean posted:

In doing a strength dude for my first character. What stats should I be bringing up aside Strength?

Also is it worth upgrading my newbie weapons? Have a longsword, axe and an Estok (I like the weapon style on the estok a lot)

Sorry for all the questions :(

Upgrade materials aren't finite, so upgrade whatever you want. Just make sure you've got something upgraded decently far before you get too far into the game. Use what you like!

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 4, 2014

• Locked thread