Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Things that are handy to know:
- If you are having trouble with the gargoyles, go below the blacksmith and grind the woods. On the path to the butterfly you can easily stomp tree folk for quick souls and pick up some pretty decent gear. Great knight armor/wolf ring etc. The butterfly is a way easy fight as well.

-Thief class sucks. Do not pick it unless you want to be violated over and over.

-To evade the dragon and get to the bell tower faster, hide behind one of the sidewalls near the stairs for about 30 seconds. You will see it fly up from the tower doorway and try to land next to you. Run along one of the sides and hold the shield up. It will fly back and breath on you one more time, but if you have your shield up it should be enough for even the most squishy heroes. Hit the bonfire, enjoy not having to do a long rear end walk to the blacksmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

doomfunk posted:

I started as a thief and now I'm rocking a scimitar and wooden shield, poo poo's great. No idea what you're smoking, class means basically nothing once you sink about an hour into the game - EXCEPT the thief, considering they get the Master Key as a class component.

Also black leather is pretty sweet as far as light armour goes.

Master key can be gifted and it's not fun to miss a parry leading to a 90%health drop for early game. Ask my new thief about getting stun locked to death every five seconds.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Stele007 posted:

The fog ring completely breaks PvP. Most magic is completely worthless against someone using it since you can't target them. Everyone that invades me uses it. Do you HAVE to be a member of the Forest Hunter covenant to get it? It seems like I'll have to join it just so I don't get hosed over.

No, you can trade a skull lantern at the crows nest for a fog ring later. Might want to get catacombs/tomb of the giants done as fast as possible if you want to get rid of it and snag it.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Holy poo poo I hate Sif. I've never had much trouble until this rear end in a top hat. gently caress him. I'm sitting out here waiting for someone to hopefully drop a summon sign.

The trick is to stand right under him/her the whole time. Most of the bosses attacks will miss if you are right between the legs and gives you pretty much free hits the whole time. Even when Sif jumps, run/roll as fast as you can back under.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So how do I progress in the londo ruins? I found the dude on top of the building, but the only ways to go that I see are locked. I have the wolf's ring.

If you want to join the Darkwraith covenant, kill the old man up there (after you buy his stuff, of course) and take the floodgate key. You can then hit the abyss if you have Sif's ring and kill the four kings early if you don't have the lord vessel. Just a warning though, if you do join these guys you later lose the ability to sell things for souls.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but if any of you are having trouble with any boss and have a semi-decent melee build, you can pretty much crush 90% of everything with heavy armor/iron skin/and two handing the ever living poo poo out of it. Hamels armor and any weapon +10-ish will kill everything you come across. The only two bosses I have seen so far that this fails against is Executioner/Dragonslayer and Seath.

Really loving this game now as a dex build after getting the right equipment for it.

Finally got my red orb/armor from Darkwraith. +5 Priscilla's Dagger/+5 Lightning Iaido and a maxed out Dragonslayer Greatbow really just wrecks poor people in PvP.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Finally beat this, what's the deal with really good games having total poo poo endings? Deus Ex and this are killing me.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Shalinor posted:

When trading with the raven, can you do each trade once period, or is it once per game run? I've seen unclear information either way.

(ie. can you do a trade, quit the game, come back later, trade again - or is it one trade per item, period, for that entire playthrough)

One item period until NG+

hcenvirons posted:

Any recommendations for specific enemy in Anor Place the loving bat men with the spears that go through shield! Agh. There's one pull where you're stuck in a room with two if you can't get them one at a time. Normally I can, but I can't kill them quickly enough and there's too little space to sufficiently dodge their attacks. Battle of attrition very much stacked against me.

You can easily push them off cliffs and watch them fall to their death. Pretty funny considering they have wings and all. If there is no cliffs and really little space, you can just use iron skin and two-hand them down in one second.

big duck equals goose fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 12, 2011

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Bland posted:

e; I heard if you beat the game as a deprived without picking up any items in under 10 hours you get the bonus ending. also you have to spare sif

You forgot you also you need to start out with the pendent and never join any covenants. Also, you need to name your avatar Pygmy and spin circles around Priscilla for 10 minutes to unlock the ability to make your own covenant later.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Elysiume posted:

What bows are better than a short bow that I can get before/in Blighttown?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/black-bow-of-pharis

Best bow in the game.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

evilalien posted:

Also it has no poise.

Also, women won't be attracted to a raggedy rear end hobo looking dude.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

victrix posted:

I kind of dislike the dark gold and havel armor. Both sets throw out all the previous light/heavy armor, which is very much in contrast to DeS which you could go through in a suit of starting Leather armor if you wanted to.

I guess fully upgraded some of the basic sets might rival them?

The Darkwraith covenant armor can be upgraded and it's pretty drat amazing when it goes fully up.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Just soul dupe to pay off atonements. IMO

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Just letting you guys know, Moonlight butterfly soul shield or whatever, with a high enough int, makes me hit bosses for about 2k hits. Just two shotted the Dragonslayer. Nothing like launching a gigantic disc of doom.

Pretty fun stuff.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

ArchRanger posted:

Does anyone have any advice taking on Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough? This is my second character, and I don't know if I got lucky the first time or what, but I cannot beat Smough once he's powered up for anything. I've wasted about twelve humanity summoning Solaire for the fight, but he's almost worthless against Smough.

The specific problem is Smough's buttsmash shockwave attack that almost always one-shots me. I manage to dodge it by sheer luck occasionally, but I can't manage to get away consistently enough to end the fight. Would it be worth it to try and pump up my electricity resistance and try to block it?

I'm having trouble with boss X = Ironskin/Two hand the poo poo out of them.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Actually a terrible idea for O+S because you'll get one-shotted by lightning. If you've got the eagle shield and a few titanite shards to upgrade it, it has 75% lightning block, and can take all of Smough's hammerstrikes at +5 or so.

I used it on my fight and NG+ and never had a problem. Hell, I even kill Smough first and just crowd around DS's feet wailing on him for the NG.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is this true or just a rumour? It would be brutally evil if true but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

If you really wanna be a dick, do what I do. Get invaded/invade, put your back against a wall in a small area, then cast acid surge.

It's pretty hilarious.

GreenAcidRage posted:

:stare:
The Naked Club just went from annoying and unsportsmanlike to incredibly dickish if this is true.

I think I have been killed by occult weapons in PvP (Faith bow builds) and never been cursed from it.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Yup.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So I got a max enchanted notched whip and I can honestly say without a doubt that it's the worst weapon in the game.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Just curious, but what happens if you try to jump into the Abyss without wearing the ring? Do you die? If you take off the ring while walking around in it, do you die?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So I beat this, got all the weapons/armors/spells and have them fully upgraded. Tried all the convents, did both endings... Blah blah blah.

But I can't play this anymore despite how much I enjoyed it. I think the problem that I have the desire to cheat with the soul dupe glitch if I ever started another guy. Did they ever fix that yet?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Really, if you are having any trouble with ANY bosses, here is the sure way to kill them.

Put on heavy armor.
Cast iron skin.
Pick up the most hardcore weapon you have.
Go to town.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Doom Rooster posted:

So, I am going to be starting a new character tonight, and I am going for the super heavy physical approach. Heavy armor, giant gently caress off weapon, backup giant gently caress off shield.

It looks like Dark Wood Grain Ring and Havel's are a no-brainer, with Ring of Favor and Protection possible after I get stats up high enough to not need the 30% extra equip load from Havel's.

Any thoughts on armor and weapons though? Dragon's Greatsword and Demon's Greataxe both jump out at me for weapons, but would I be better served by just putting lightning/fire/whatever on a standard weapon?

Black Iron and Giant Armor sets look pretty awesome, but with those combined with the heavy weapon, am I going to be able to even wear everything while keeping under 50% without being a ridiculous SL?

Basically, I want to be able to take a ton of punishment, and hit things with massive, slow hits that flatten enemies.

Actually, when it comes to playing a STR gigantic weapon user of doom, I would suggest a black knight great axe or the hammer that drops from the very first gigantic demon. Both can be upgraded high and really are hard hitting nightmares with decent animation.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

ivantod posted:

English version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5wZUxFL_8c

How the hell does that dude have 99 iron golem souls? haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Faith is the best pvp build. Wrath of Gods just smokes everything.

• Locked thread