Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I haven't been keeping up with any streams or news for a while but does anyone know if there's an equivelent to Maiden Astraea in Dark Souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

The Taruos Demon was pretty easy and thanks to a message on the ground I took out the snipers before it.

Also fought the armoured boar thing and it rammed me into a wall and killed me, lucky for me that during the 'You Died' screen it managed to walk into fire and kill itself and the game registered it as me killing it :haw:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Lovely, I'm just over an hour in and already getting frustrated! How do you beat the huge bull-goat boss guy with the hammer/mace thing named Taurus or whatever on top of the tower wall in the Undead Burg?

Is there any trick to it or do you just get stun-locked to death immediately and that's the rest of the game forever?

I kept as close as possible to his body and pretty much as his attacks went over me. I still blocked for the occasional one that got through but he couldn't deal with extreme close quarters.

Anyone got any tips for the gargoyles? I am getting my rear end kicked every time when the second one comes down and breathes fire constantly

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If you keep the first gargoyle between you and the second, his firebreath should deal with the first one pretty easily.

Whoa they can damage each other!? :aaa:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

After many attempts that gargoyles are vanquished! :woop:

If nothing else, this game makes me feel like a badass after encounters like those.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I beat the Capra Demon.

Only to die 15 mins later by a mob of rats :smith:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Gaping Dragon ain't no thang :c00l:

Being cursed is no fun, where's the closest place I can get a cure? :negative:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

AzMiLion posted:

Sewer shortcut vendor has them for 6K a pop. have fun grinding out the souls. it took me wya to long to fix my curse due to me getting inpatient and dying to dumb poo poo. :/

Thanks to the Gaping Dragon I have 25000 souls, now I just need to make it to him without dying.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

AzMiLion posted:

Facing from the gate to blighttown, One of the smaller hallways to the left leads almost straight to the sewer bonfire. from there it's a pretty safe route.

Thanks, that was the route I ended up taking.

I assume Blighttown is my next destination?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Thievery posted:

Sorry that these sort of things keep getting asked, but i'm at a loss what to do here - I've cleared undead burg aside for the drake and also killed the Capra Demon, and cleared everything in the depths aside for Gaping Dragon. When I tried it I got my poo poo wrecked but that might have been as I was cursed. However, at the second I can go to that guy, the Moonlight Butterfly or Hydra, or just run through some other areas like Valley of Drakes etc. I can't find out how to get to Blighttown unless that's past the depths boss, or i've missed something huge. Could someone just point me in the right direction please? I feel a little overwhelmed at the second.

edit - I could also go through the graveyard at the start even though I barely hurt the skeletons and have no idea where that leads.

My strategy for Gaping Dragon when I was cursed was: get some distance and wait for it to lower it's head to the ground, then it will start to charge at you. Run to the side and wait for it to stop, run up and attack it a couple of time and then run away to another part of the map to get some distance. Repeat.

It may not be the most exciting way but he didn't even touch me once. I also had to take off my armour so I could run fast enough.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Thievery posted:

Literally still bandit dagger +5.

I was Longsword +3, it took ages :negative:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

This gaping dragon is impossible while cursed. Two tail swipes kills me.

I managed it earlier :smuggo:

It took me quite a few attempts to get the pattern down though, if you look through my post history you can look at the strategy I used.

Also to anyone having problems in the Depths after the giant rat, when you slide down the waterfall if you keep all the way to the left edge you will not fall down into the rat and frog area :)

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I hate Blighttown.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

If it weren't for the awful frame rate issues, it'd be my favourite level thus far.

That's my main reason for hating it, I like the design and get serious Valley of Defilement vibes from it. But every time the frame rate shoots down it gives me a headache and more often than not I die too by accidentally dodging too far off the edge.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

What's the best way to deal with the big fat guys with clubs in Blighttown?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Ugh, had enough of Blight town for today. I was on the swamp floor with flies and poo poo constantly respawning and came across 2 big guys chucking boulders and charging at me and they wrecked my poo poo.

Was I even going the right way? Does anyone know if there is a bonfire close by that I might have missed? It's going to suck going from the top all the way back down again.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

So I just killed the boss of Blighttown and rang the bell but I think that my current weapons won't be strong enough going ahead. I've pretty much just been using Longsword+3 and Gargoyle's Halberd+2 the whole time and I'm doing pitiful damage to some bosses.

Should I be putting more time in upgrading weapons? Any good suggestions?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Tgent posted:

Holy poo poo. I think I just hosed up. After the second bell I went through an illusory wall and killed one of the guys with eggs on his back and he started going on about how I'd betrayed him or something. What have I done here?

That guy is an NPC not an enemy. He usually lets you past so you can join a covenant and use the bonfire.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Anyone know any good soul farming spots so I can buy the Crest of Artorias from the blacksmith? I need 15,000 more souls.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Vastakaiun posted:

Was about to suggest you the area after the sealed gate, whoops. :v:

Try Gaping demon if you haven't beaten him yet. He gave me 25000 souls which I used for that specific purpose.

I ended up firing one arrow at the red dragon on the bridge, it glitched out and fell through the map killing itself and giving me 10,000 souls :v:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Is the big wooden gate behind the armoured boar always meant to close after opening it from behind? I thought that if I opened it that it would at as a shortcut but every time I come back it's closed again.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Hydra just went down like a bitch :c00l:

After I fell off the edge of the lake the previous attempt trying to get too close to it :negative:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Stone armour looks badass.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Mimics are terrifying and fast :gonk:

Killed it in Sen's Fortress and then proceeded to go on an elevator ride into some spikes. Progress.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Just got to Anor Lando, while it looks awesome I'm dreading the inevitable fight against the big knight guys :ohdear:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

darkhand posted:

What SL are you and is it past Sens? I rang both Bells and I'm trying to do the stuff to kill Lautrec.

I'm SL 42 and it's straight after Sen's Fortress.

After I rang the bells I went into Darkroot and killed Great Wolf Sif, Moonlight Butterfly and the Hydra farmed some souls for 20mins to get some more strength and then Sen's.

Edit: forgot to put the actual quote that I'm replying to in.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 9, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

darkhand posted:

Excellent, I think I'll take that route then, thanks. I can already tell the traps in Sens are going to be hilarious/brutal.

Is your character a melee or magic build? Mine's is melee only and the Darkroot Basin lake boss was a bit of a pain so you might find it easier if you have any ranged attacks.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

darkhand posted:

The only spell I have is combustion. Is that the Hydra?

Yep, doesn't help that you have to get really close while he fires off a magic attack from all 5 heads when you are still at range. Also keep in mind that you move slower in the water while fighting him, and to watch your feet when you are close as you can fall to your death over the edge.

A few things that will help with Darkroot, if you go straight and follow the path all the way you will see a door that is locked, if you attack the wall next to it there is a hidden bonfire. Also when you go down into the basin, when you drop down after the crystal gecko and go right and down the path there is a knight waiting. If you beat him there is a bonfire where he was that helped me out a lot I died to the Hydra

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Just got invaded and the guy backstabbed me from the front, while he was gesturing :stare:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I hate those archer guys in Anor Londo, but I will have my revenge with the 50 arrows I just bought.

I better be able to snipe them :argh:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Ornstein and Smough :qq:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

charismaslover posted:

Ornstein and Smough :qq:

Hahaha, gently caress you. I may have had to summon an army to gently caress you up but I did it.

Although when we killed Smough and Ornstein turned into a giant :stare:

Edit: My attempt before it was so deflating, I managed to find some humanity and had just killed the giant knights outside the boss door but just before I could summon anyone I got invaded and killed :negative:

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 10, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Hooray I can now cast fire magic, I have a feeling it could have made a few areas before Anor Londo a lot easier :shepface:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Just exploring the Demon Ruins after Ceaseless Discharge.

Look left: 10 or so Tauros Demons
Look right: 10 or so Capra Demons

:stare:

Edit: Added spoiler tags. Apologies.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 10, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I love the feeling of relief I get when unlocking shortcuts back to bonfires/safe areas.

In the Demon Ruins:

The Capra demons aren't that hard now that I've got better equipment and more space to move and the centipedes are pretty easy and will just chill out if you don't get too close or attack them.

The Demon Firesage boss was pretty easy if you went back to the Undead Asylum and killed the Stray Demon, it's pretty much the exact same fight with a little less space. I managed to get close and 2 hand my axe and all it would do is fly up and butt stomp.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Going back through the swamp in blight town and it's much more enjoyable now I have some good poison resistance and a lightning weapon.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

In the painted world I killed the Undead Dragon earlier and just reloaded from the last bonfire and now his dead body is blocking the path forward. Any suggestions?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Thanks guys :)

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

After doing the Darkroot Garden grinding spot when required, not once did I ever think to use the ring that gives you more souls from kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Does anyone remember the Demon's Souls collectible spreadsheet that a goon made? I modified it and made an equivilent for Dark Souls for personal use but I've uploaded it and here's the link if anyone wants to use it.

Dark Souls Spreadsheet

I checked with Louisgod and got the thumbs up for using my megaupload account to share.

• Locked thread