Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Smelly posted:

I never understood that mindset, it made playing Jedi Academy very boring. :(

"YOU HAVE TO BOW FIRST"

Haha, I loved this because I would bow at first, to lull them into a false sense of security. Then next time I would just bust out a full kata. Dark side :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

der juicen posted:

Thanks yall. I've pretty much trained myself since my accident happened, once I figured ?I could play games. I've nearly beaten Deus Ex on second hardest difficulty, beaten asscred, dragon age 2, currently playing Madden and NHL, which use the left stick to move. Well, all those games do. I've gotten use to hitting LB fast enough in those games that need it.

I think I may have a chance with a range character or a rolling tank. I don't like shields anyways. :colbert:

Go Voltron mode, have a friend put his hand on the left side, and have your hand on the right side of the controller.

Then play the game :hfive:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

enojy posted:

Gonna go play dumb and check the on-campus Gamestop to see if "the game I ordered is in stock." Using fake surgery for next week if they say I can't have the sparkly. Will have Scraping Spear & Baby's Nail in backpack as an absolute last resort. Wish me luck goons.

That'll never work.

You need to go to the super shady stores... perhaps those on Main Street in Newark, New Jersey, mayhaps? :ninja:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

gibbed posted:

Sadly the hardcover guide doesn't have release date shipping.

God knows I need it. Oh well, 2 days of practice I guess heh :ohdear:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Ugh, that sucks.

So many broken shoulder buttons

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Jetpack Postman posted:

Not sure, but I don't think it matters too much: Dexterity modifies roll speed in this game, so given enough Dex you'll be able to dodge effectively in any armor. One of the streamers with around 35 Endurance and 25 Dexterity was able to do cartwheels in Knight Armor.

I know what my build is gonna be :aaaaa:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

fromagex posted:

Anyone else notice the guide on Amazon went from coming out this week to "we'll email when we have a delivery date for this item?" No release date now on it's main page, either.

Yeah, what the hell, I got the same thing.

I need a guide for dis game :cry:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Double Monocle posted:

Just a heads up to ps3 owners-

You know how in demons souls you could hastily turn off the ps3 or exit the game to erase the last 20 seconds of "im an idiot and fell off a cliff with 50k souls?"

Dont do that in dark souls. It auto saves constantly. And you will corrupt your saves and you will have to start over.

Like me
:negative:

The real Dark Souls starts over here :smug:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Hrm, I wonder why my copy of the Dark Souls guide hasn't shipped? I mean the amazon page says it releases on the 4th right? Let me che-

Amazon posted:

Out of Print--Limited Availability.

WELP :stare:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

WalletBeef posted:

Aside from special editions of this game, why would you order it online? I just went to gamestop and picked it up, no waiting for delivery, none of that. :effort:

1) Don't have to pay tax :ssh:

2) The Gamestop near me sucks and probably only got 1 or 2 copies

3) gently caress Gamestop

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

J posted:

Can anyone with the futurepress guide look at the back cover and see if the side quest paragraph mentions Deus Ex: HR? I'm wondering if they were all misprinted that way.

Haha what :stare:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh? As far as I know, in Demon's if you are playing online and get knocked offline, it craps out entirely and sends you back to the title screen.

Yes, and it does it immediately.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

Oh god loving dammit it is maneater all over again

What? No... No... NOOOOOOO :byodood:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Cyrai posted:

I preordered the game from Best Buy, so I should have the limited edition, I think, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get it. What I have is just a regular PS3 game box. The picture on the cover is the one in the OP. All that's in it is the manual and the game, and I don't see some sort of code for the downloadable stuff. There's no mention of any special edition on the box anywhere. I'm guessing I didn't get it?

The Collector's Edition comes in a metal tin, so no you didn't :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Canceled my online pre-order cause gently caress IT I'm gonna pick it up tonight.

The real Dark Souls begins here *drives straight after work to a mall totally out of the way* :byodood:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

keyframe posted:

So if you die on the way to your dropped souls and lose em you are proper hosed?

Yup, you only get 1 SECOND chance... if that makes sense

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

First time playing any of the Souls games and I'm getting ruined. Hint to newbies. Don't start as a thief.

Gonna try as a knight maybe and come back to the thief when I know what I'm doing.

Yeah, that might not be a bad idea. I'm playing as thief in my run now, but you definitely need to rely on dodge rolls and running around people to do lots of damage. Armor might be more forgiving in the beginning.

The only thing that really sucks about the thief is your dagger is piss poor against any monster with lots of HP :ohdear:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Speedball posted:

Important question: What's the pacing of this game like? Most of the videos I've seen make it look like combat requires a degree of precision, and it's rarely more than one-on-one encounters.

There are definitely groups of enemies that can all attack you at once. And enemies are a LOT smarter too. They got a few new tricks you never saw in Demon's.

This is speaking from being in the first area of the game currently.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

der juicen posted:

I can't even get past Taurus. :saddowns: knight is fun though.

A friendly hint:

If you can beat the tutorial boss, you can beat Taurus

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Schubalts posted:

Ninja'd a Dark Knight's treasure and barely made it back out alive. I feel like a real thief now.

Oh, drat you! I had to sacrifice 2k souls and some humanity.

Totally worth it! :eng99:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Smelly posted:

Question: I'm in the Way of the White covenant. Will I be put on the shitlist if I decide to abandon that one and go for something else? I was kinda reading through the guys spiel faster than he was talking and accidently hit yes. :(

If so, than bring it on fuckers :black101:

It will be broughted. :smug:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Zebrasectomy posted:

Without spoiling too much, what would I be missing out on if I didn't take the master key as my starting gift?

Nothing. Everything the Master Key opens has a key that can be found to open it as well. It just makes things a little easier/available sooner

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Willfrey posted:

What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

He is protecting A ring that increases your defense when you're HP is low

Certainly doesn't hurt to have it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

I know I'm missing like, a vital part of this game, but what exactly is humanity used for? I think I remeber soemthing about reversing hollowed status, and upgrading bonfires, but Upgrading Humanity seems to do nothing, and I can't upgrade bonfires cause I lack some sort of ritual.

The more humanity you have, the better items and better item drop percentage you receive from monsters.

Humanity is also used to upgrade your chosen Covenant

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

skinny white boy posted:

I don't understand parries and I don't know how to kick. I have no idea how to tell if one thing is better than the other. I am really digging this clueless gaming.

If you get a parry off, it does INSANE amounts of damage. The few times I've done it, it's an instant kill

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

der juicen posted:

*be wary of dragon*

*hears wings, looks up in time to see fire*

:saddowns:

Hrm, some baddies across this bridge... better take it slow. Hey wait... is this... oil? :raise:

*dragon swoops overhead*

FUUUUUUUUUUCK :supaburn:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

^^^^ There is no such thing as cheesing in Dark Souls. You win, or you die.

The ultimate allegory to life. This is why I love this game. :allears:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ok... I've been invaded by the same guy 3 times already, and I have indictments. But the game won't let me use them? I can't equip it as a quick item, and trying to use it from my inventory has use item

what the fuuuuck :cry:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

When the guy kills you it pops up a dialog asking you to use it. You don't equip use it, you use it through the dialog.

What the bullshit, it never came up :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ahahaha, spent my last humanity to res to fight that weird mutant dragon in the sewers.

I've breezed through this a hundred times, what's the worse that can happen? :smug:

*gets cocky with a basalisk and gets frozen*

Oh. :stare:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Elysiume posted:

There's a spell or miracles (or maybe a pyromancy, even though that wouldn't make sense) that lets you see all of the +1/-1. I have no idea why anyone would waste an attunement slot on it.

I guess so you can tell what comments are good or bad?

PRAISE THE SUN :sun:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Elysiume posted:

I bow whenever I get summoned or summon!

One terrible thing about the messages is if you read one and you're like "this is useful, better +1 this" you need to back off it so the message fades, get out your orange soapstone, and rate the drat thing. When you read it, it should just have an option to hit X to rate or something.

This. It's so much more a pain in the rear end to rate stuff in Dark that I just never do it :shobon:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

The cutest Nito.

Neato Nito :3:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

DarkArchimedes posted:

There are sixaxis gestures? I thought you just pressed select and opened the gesture menu.

There is an image of a controller and a movement above every gesture in the menu :eng101:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's only out in Japan. Which is dumb as hell since its barely language related at all, but that's Japanese game development for you.

Hey yeaaaa.... what the hell? :raise:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think I'll post some of the ascii art they've developed over on the Japanese wiki. I hope the code tag makes it work...

edit: holy poo poo not even close. Anyone have a better idea?

oh man, those sun bro ones are loving glorious

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PirateNipple posted:

I hope everyone who didn't get the chance to play Dark Souls on consoles gets past the whole GFWL thing and plays it anyways. I hate GFWL as much as the next guy, but really, please suck it up and play the game. Dark Souls is one of the best games I have ever played, easily in my top 5. It was a perfect reminder of why I play video games to begin with.

I'll buy it and play it again.

Pretty much this. If I can get my friends who don't have a PS3 to pick this up, it'll get even better

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

YOOOO... that Cyclops was straight up Ray Harryhausen. I love it. :allears:

Also good to see the "dragon blocking your way" death trap makes it's 3rd consecutive appearance :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Did anyone else, first time through, go back and stab Chester after he invades you? Not cool man :mad:

Yeah, but I talked to him first. He called me a dunce :(

• Locked thread