Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tips for newbies like me who didn't know poo poo about Demon's Souls or Dark Souls and have spent the first 7 and a half hours of this game dying over and over again: USE A SHIELD ALL THE TIME.

Like, ALL the time.

Seriously. It saves lives. Namely your lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

So I lost all 8 of my stored humanity because I thought it was a good thing to use immediately. Then I fell off a wall and died.

Should I just start over? I'm like 10 hours in.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

So I just defeated the Stray Demon, without getting hit once :smug: after like 15 tries. Now I don't really know where to go in the game. So far I've rang the first bell after the gargoyles and the carpus demon or whatever it's called, any clue as to where I should go next?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 7, 2011

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

:stare: that giant loving hydra, holy poo poo.

Is there any way to fight that thing? I mean, I know you -can-, but at level 25 is it even worth trying?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

So I think I was invaded, not sure if it was a PC or the game doing it though. Some spiky red dude showed up in the sewers, I kicked his rear end without getting hit, and he dropped a humanity and a barbed sword thing. Not quite sure what that was all about.

Also, the Gaping Dragon from the trailers is actually much easier than I thought. I did it with another player, but he seems to just constantly flatten himself onto the ground and let you attack him without recourse.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Alright, that makes a bit more sense then.

Also, I upgraded my winged spear to "raw". It seems to do a bit more damage and some of the...uhh....damage types? changed letters. Anyone have a clear definition for what "raw" means?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

So I just killed that drake with a single arrow from on top of the knight's tower overlooking the bridge. It just disappeared, then the next thing I know I'm getting 10k souls. It was awesome.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Experimenting with a few weapons right now, namely the raw winged spear, +4 balders side sword, the rapier and the uchigatana.

The winged spear has been my primary weapon since I started the game, pretty much. I found it early on in the graveyard next to the Firelink Shrine, and its been my go to weapon ever since. My only problem with it is its relatively high stam use per attack, which only allows me to swing ~4 times before I need to recharge. Other than that, it's a great weapon with good distance, decent damage as compared to the drake sword, and attacks from behind a shield. I'm not quite sold on the "raw" upgrade, but it has indeed increased my damage with the weapon.

I received the uchigatana relatively recently after killing the Undead Burg merchant (whom I no longer needed). It has potential for high slashing damage, as well as a great bleed effect, but it has incredibly low durability and gets nicked easily. Maybe it would suffice as a good two-handed boss killer, but I doubt it would outmatch the drake sword without sufficient modification.

I found the balders side sword just now, as I was playing. Read its stats and checked its stam use, and it's a surprisingly solid weapon. Attacks quickly, using relatively little stamina (6 swings with 17 endurance), has a wide, long arc of attack as well as very quick strong attack in the form of a thrust, which deals high damage against armored opponents. I upgraded it to +4 as soon as I could, and will soon be upgrading it to +5 in hopes of it becoming my new mainstay weapon. Liking it a lot, so far. Surprisingly, it takes more stamina per swing when wielding it two handed, so I'd recommend sword/board style.

The rapier (also found off a balder knight), like the winged spear, can attack from behind a shield. Unlike the spear however, it has a short distance and uses relatively little stamina (6 swings, like the balder side sword). It can parry if held in your left hand, and has a VERY fast recovery after its powerful strong attack, which also uses relatively little stamina (3-4 strong attacks at 17 endurance). I'd like to make it a mainstay weapon, but its damage is relatively low compared to the balder side sword, the winged spear and especially the drake sword. Perhaps if I had found it earlier on, I'd of used it. As of now it's faintly outclassed, but perhaps with sufficient upgrades it could become a worthwhile weapon.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just made it to the blacksmith in the undead parish and was wondering if it's a waste of Titinite to upgrade my starting gear. I've upgraded my scimitar to +2 and was thinking about dumping some points into my theif's starting armor.

I would personally hold off on it. As a wanderer who started with the scimitar, I very quickly replaced it early on. Its attacks just don't seem to scale well when compared to some of the other early weapons (drake sword, winged spear, etc). The armor gets replaced as well, not by regular defense stats, but by lighter leathers that have the added benefit of protecting the user from poison. Of course, play however you choose, but I found I could save my souls on leveling up after finding the more powerful weapons which need no upgrades.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 8, 2011

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Sputnik posted:

How do you kill Black Knights effectively?

Additionally, I have Gold Pine Resin and some Titanite shards. Are these things to hoard for later uberweapons, or to use now to make my life easier? I'm a Dark Souls newbie.

The knights were more of a trial and error sort of thing for me. Eventually I just cheesed them (and most enemies) out with a shield and a powerful weapon (drake sword, usually). The trick I've found is getting really, really close to them with your 100% physical resist shield up, constantly circling around them to the right. Since they're all righties, it seems slightly easier to evade their attacks which initiate on the right side of their bodies. Then, when their attack animations are coming to an end, backstab or just take regular swipes. They shouldn't be able to deal any damage to you if you're smart with your shield. Running out of stam? Step back and let it recharge by lowering your shield. Don't worry about enemy attacks, just bring your shield up when you see their attack animations starting, you should be fine.

After that, knights are pretty much a breeze. The hardest part is finding decent terrain to fight them in. They don't seem to leash that well, so try to lure them into a big open area where they can't back themselves or you into a corner.

This style of fighting works for most weapon-wielding enemies, particularly large ones that take a while to turn. Golems, fatties, knights, you name it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

qbert posted:

True, but the Black Knight Shield still beats them with 95 fire protection.

The Dragon Crest shield displays only 85% fire resist, but it says it offers "great fire resistance" in the description. Is the Black Knight Shield still better at fire resist?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Two questions:

1. Is level 50 too low for behind the sealed door in Darkroot Basin? I killed all of those rolling cat things (:stare:) at great expense, and even the mushroom people are strong as poo poo. I'm currently running with a +3 set of elite knight armor, +7 Uchigatana, +2 Black Knight Shield and no spells.

2. How do I use Quelagg's soul to make a weapon? I have both Quelaggs and the Moonlight butterfly's, afraid to use any of them from my inventory though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Two questions:

1.) Is the gold-hemmed robe set worth upgrading?

2.) Can you upgrade it normally?

I'm thinking of maybe switching from the elite knight set to the robes and dropping Havel's Ring in favor of the hornet's ring. +crit on a +8 Uchigatana is pretty sweet. The leggings give better stats than my +3 elite knight leggings (somehow) and I believe that if I brought everything up to +3 it'd be better overall (except the poise) than the elite knight set.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

:stare: Frapt is loving terrifying and I hate looking at him.

Seriously, he came out of no where. One minute I'm wandering around the shrine, minding my own business, then BAM. There he is. *shudder*

edit:

I have a blessed weapon, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The damage is entirely physical (much lower than my other weapons, actually) and even against undead it doesn't seem to be stopping them from being resurrected. Anyone experiencing this, or am I just imagining things?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2011

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I have the uchigatana raised to +8 and I just found the iaido. Is it worth upgrading the iaido to +10? It's starting damage was slightly higher than the uchigatana's starting damage (88 vs 80) but its power attack doesn't seem that good, at the very least it doesn't attack as quickly as the uchigatana's overhand strike.

Stupid school is getting in the way of my Dark Souling! :argh:

Nick Biped posted:

Oh, goodie. I think I'll just put that aside for now.

The taurus demons aren't so bad if you pull one at a time and roll between their legs. They have really wonky hit detection though, and if you're standing too close their attacks can hit over your shield.

gently caress the capra demons, though. They're dicks.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 13, 2011

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

gently caress Ornstein and Smough. Finally killed Ornstein only for Smough to turn into Mega-Smough who manages to hit through my shield somehow.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Put off Ornstein and Smough for a minute, went back and farmed some money for titanite and 2 levels, made a Queelagg's Fury Sword and upgraded it to +5, then proceeded to make Ornstein and Smough my bitch. :smug:

NG+, going to kill the poo poo out of Smough first. Want that Ornstein armor + Spear.

Also, I decided to start upgrading the regular armor sets to +10. Have the Wanderer's set at all +6 right now, was wondering if I can buy titanite chunks or whatever I need to upgrade them, and if so from whom?

Is this worth doing? Would it be better than, say, the gold-hemmed robes, which are currently my best set (even despite the +6). Is there any particular set which is better for upgrading?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Gyoru posted:

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

v1.04 in progress patch notes

I want to see a fix to a bug that I feel like I'm the only one who experiences.

Sometimes, when I'm blocking and try to attack, nothing will happen until I release my shield button or press attack again. It's particularly bad in tight situations where it has often caused me to die because my shield was down at the exact wrong moment.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Thinking of starting my game over, not sure if my build would be worth continuing in NG+. Have over 40 hours played, just got the Lord Vessel, any suggestions?

Around level 62 and I think I spread my points around too much. Mostly agility, relatively low endurance (lower than what I'd like), pumped points into faith to use that stupid artorias sword (then never used it), and have absolutely no humanity.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

In one of the boulder hallways of Sen's Fortress, there's a stack of several boulders with a ladder leading down beside them. It looks like there isn't anything down there, but I have the feeling that if the boulders were to not be there, you'd find some kind of secret. Any validity to this?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Any suggestions for what to do with this Titanite Slab? I might save it to upgrade my longsword to a +5 Lightning Longsword, not sure though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

A leech in the blighttown swamp just dropped 5 green titanite shards :stare:

Also, where's the dark spirit in blighttown? Been wandering around hoping it would show up, but haven't seen anything yet.

Double also, what should I do with this titanite slab? Have frampt munch on it? Was thinking of using it to upgrade my lightning longsword to +5, not sure though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I started my game over! 14 hours in and I've already surpassed my 40+ hour game. It's amazing how quickly someone can blow through this if they know where they're going.

Playing a warrior, currently level 64 with roughly these stats:
20 Vitality
45 Endurance
30 Strength

Everything else is standard. Doing pretty well so far, but I'm still concerned about my armor. Without Havel's Ring and the ROFP, wearing stuff like Havel's Armor or even the Black Iron Armor greatly reduces my roll. So instead I've been running with +6 Elite Knight's Armor (and +6 Heavy Leather Gloves), a +10 Tower Kite Shield (which outpaces my +5 Black Knight Shield and weighs 3 pounds less. Highly recommended for everyone to pick this up and upgrade it if you're lacking a decent shield). With this setup I can roll without penalty, and I'm wondering if further upgrading my stamina would be worthwhile. How much stamina would I need to, perhaps, not require Havel's Ring for full rolling ability in this armor? If it's not worth it, I can just continue buffing my health and probably max my guy out at around level 70.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Rolling is based entirely on equipment weight, not stamina. 0-25% is a very fast roll with a quick recovery. 25-50% is medium. I think 50-100% is fat roll (flop on the ground and slowly get up) and 100%+ is just staggering (can't roll), but I never go above 50% so I'm not entirely certain about the 50-100 range.

"Stamina" should've read "Endurance". Just made a quick armor change, taking off Havel's Ring and replacing my +6 armor with Black Iron (which still surpasses it). I don't roll perfectly, but it's good defense.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Would an archer be any good in PVP? Seems like so many people use shields. I could be fun though! Maxing out dex, wearing low armor for speed, poisoned arrows.

Also, where do you find the black bow of pharis?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

God dammit, every time I think I have this game beat I get to the next zone and get my rear end kicked.

Finally got tired of dying to regular lovely mobs and taking forever to fight bosses, so I traded in my +3 lightning longsword for a +3 lightning zweihander. Man, the difference is ridiculous. Used to hit for 100, maybe 150 on some mobs. Could get a few quick slashes in, but it wouldn't mean much.

One hit with the zweihander, one handed? 350 damage. Killed Seath, The Four Kings, the Demon Firesage, Ceaseless Discharge and Demon Centipede. Those giant demon guys in the fire zone with the huge axes? Dead in three hits. Capra demons? Two hits. Loving this sword so much that it makes me want to get the Black Knight weapons and fully upgrade them. I know the BK Greataxe attacks quickly and has great damage, might just give it a try.

But then, after I finished my killing spree, I wandered into Lost Izalith for the first time. gently caress this zone, and gently caress those giant undead...uh...chicken things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ivantod posted:

An unusual night at the gates of Anor Londo cathedral...

What sword is that?

• Locked thread