Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Risky posted:

So I basically just pre-ordered Dark Souls at gamestop and the chick working there said I can come in at midnight for the release. Does anyone know if that's going to be for the collector's edition? Is it just gamestop that is giving those out for preorders?

It'll depend on stock. I did a walk-in preorder and they were out of CE so only had standard. I'm gonna cancel my Amazon order if it doesn't change from "estimated ship date: 10/7/11" to "shipped" before midnight. If it shows "shipped," I'll just cancel the gamestop preorder. I've gotta be an adult and go to work tomorrow anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Not quite yet for all of us.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Pre-order and shipping chat will never not be terrible.

edit: I don't suppose there is a spell list in the booklet or anything? The wikis are still both very thin and uncomplete regarding spells.

Yeah, I don't really know what people expect in those hours leading up to release. There really isn't too much except for people to :f5: their preorder pages, or bitch about region or broken street date and which family funeral will be cutting into their playtime.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

The first bloodstain I find is a dude perfectly jumping into the well at firelink shrine.

Those are the best bloodstains, especially since you always start looking around wondering if the guy was just stupid or knew something you didn't and didn't quite get his timing right.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I can tell the well is bottomless. As soon as you go in it shows the death message.

Also earlier there was a room with two treasure chests, one with a message in front of it saying "trap". So I went over and opened the other one and...you can probably guess what happened.

That's part of the charm of the game, I remember the same thing with those iron-maidens in 3-1 in Demon's Souls. You knew they were trapped, they couldn't all have cool loot, but hey maybe the guy putting down notes was lying.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Looking at the package for the special edition, I can see why some retailers had problems.

It's not in anyway marked as the special edition. I mean if you know that the metal/chunkier case is the collectors there's that, but nothing seems to say "This is the special collector's edition" on the package. At least not in big enough print, and the metal tin is under a layer of outer plastic.

So I really suggest if you pre-ordered and cared about the extra goodies you stop into your retailer ASAP, since the gamestop I went to was handing out the collector's edition to folks whose slip said regular.

Of course, I know this since I got home and noticed a metal case and a download code when I was told earlier in the day, "No, we've already reserved all the collector's versions, but if you reserve the regular edition and don't open it, if someone hasn't picked up their CE by Friday you can swap for it."

So, looks like I stole someone's collector's edition :ohdear:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

keyframe posted:

I just went the other way because clearly those two skeletons are there to make a point of how you are not supposed to go that way early in the game.

If you get a mace/club (and there should be one hidden nearby) the skeletons are a joke. Just keep heavy attacking them and they'll fall down, so you run up and heavy attack one, then the other and keep doing it right as they put their heads back on, or kick them off the cliff. Of course they still can kill you in a combo or two and drop no souls.

On the topic of controls, I like them for the most part but I have noticed one thing that kinda irritates me, when locked on to an enemy all of my roles seem to be towards the enemy. Like even if I hold a side direction instead of rolling left I roll forward left.

It also seems like more playstyles are supported. In addition to the talk about heavy armor being more viable most shields seem to block 100% physical, and some shields seem more forgiving about the parry timing/animation. Of course you still get wrecked if you miss it.

Also since someone asked:
No the soundtrack names do not spoil anything, except for the names for a few NPCs.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Funkmaster General posted:

There's no reason to get it for PS3 over 360 either.

Live Gold, but that's something most people would probably already be taking into account. It really just boils down to controllers like people have been saying.

Even the "But all my friend's play it on ..." doesn't mean as much on this game as others, since the multiplayer is so quirky.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zebrasectomy posted:

So what should someone who's never played a 'Souls game know about Stat distribution? Is it easy break a character? I hear starting class doesn't matter much, is that true?

Yes, Dark souls is even more forgiving about starting as one thing and going a different way than Demon Souls was, since starting levels are so close to eachother, you're not really locked out of any build. Heck the deprived even could make a good caster statwise you just wouldn't have spells/a way to cast them yet.

The only problem comes from that initial survivability. If you don't mind dying a lot any playstyle and build is viable for a starting character.

If you do care, well this probably isn't the game for you.

It's been said a few times, but your starting class isn't really a class, it's more just a starting distribution of statpoints and gear. Given enough exp you can eventually build anything into anything else. Especially since you'd probably want to get most stats to at least 10-15 or so you really aren't dicking yourself over if you make a thief but then decide you wanna be heavily armored.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LorentzViolator posted:

Very odd thing: I was fighting the red caped knight on the stairs of the church leading up to the gargoyles fight when I notice I'm getting attacked by something else. I died pretty quickly and as the screen faded I see this weird sphere/crab-like thing scuttling off. Anyone else seen that!?

I know this is from a bit back (thread is moving fast) but I actually think those are the vagrants. I've seen one randomly in undead burg right near the tower with the sniper hollow just before the flaming barrel trap.
Or at least something makes little black-hued blobs the color of black phantoms from Demon souls spawn and skitter off every few runs. I've seen the crystal geckos in this game. It's definitely not one of those.

Oh also for PS3 users, has anyone else noticed white phantoms just murdering the game's frame-rate?
I was helping someone on the way to the gargoyle fight, and any time both of the white phantoms were on screen or I was moving the game slowed to a crawl. By the time we were fighting that wizard pope a black phantom invaded and the game was down to like 3 FPS.

Smelly posted:

I don't think it's quite accurate to say NEVER unfair in this one.

Demon's I didn't feel like I got killed in a cheap way, but there's been a couple times already in this one.
Yeah I like the more dynamic combat and that they gave more of the enemies tricks you have, but it's kinda BS that it gives them better control.
For example: Once you start a lunge attack/throw/most spells it's gonna target where your opponent was during your wind up, so a couple of steps to the side results in a miss. Meanwhile a thrown bomb or jump attack the AI launches will never miss because of a strafe if you stay roughly in front of the enemy.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 6, 2011

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

redreader posted:

I keep on meaning to ask this question but I never get to the end of the thread:

I too have never seen any summon stones, and have waited around trying to be summoned. p2p stuff *almost always* requires port forwarding. What ports do I need to forward to get multiplayer working properly? I suspect this would help everyone in this thread if they knew. I would be loving surprised if I didn't need to do port forwarding to get multiplayer working.

Apart from that: should I wire my PS3 in? I remember there being some wireless slowness problem with ps3s...

I don't have any port forwarding and it's worked for me so far but YMMV. I think part of the problem is that the stones aren't guaranteed to be in everyone's hands. It just takes someone saying "pfft whatever crazy sunman" to not get the co-op stone. Also folks need to be in humanform to summon you, and at least early on humanity's much to rare to waste on exploring a new area.

I really think there's an extra bit of the formula we don't know about who shows up/can connect to you though. Since I've been able to get summmoned with about a 50/50 chance every time I put the stone down then go farm some souls, but have never seen a mark when I've been human.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tricky posted:

Allegedly it's about 10%, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit more than that.

From a bit ago but I've confirmed from a bit of messaging players I've helped. It's not just 10% it's the old Demon Soul's model of 10 levels+10% since I was surprised to get pulled in at level 37 to help a guy level 24 take down the gargoyles when I was doing a quick titanite farming in undead parish, and had a guy in Smough's Armor help me take it down on my level 18 new guy, and there's no way in hell someone got to New Londo Anor Lando and can equip that by level 20.

edit: Meant to say Anor Lando not New Lando. I know you can advance to areas (especially with White phantom help) before you normally could and there were even sl-1 runs, but I don't think anyone's there yet for Dark Souls.
I was hinging it more on if the guy had spent enough levels to get the str and end requirements to be able to walk around and not fat-roll he couldn't have been level 20. But looks like the wiki doesn't have the weights for smough's armor for me to confirm that.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 20, 2011

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

oneliquidninja posted:

I'm pretty sure you only get summoned to fight people in human form. So you'll either get people who want to pvp or people who stumbled into the forest in human form.

I just did this myself and it took awhile to get summoned but it wasn't to terrible aside from the boredom. Even if they're their for the pvp you may not be the only one who gets summoned so you still have a chance.

On that topic, gently caress people who unplug their internet or power off when the forest battle goes against them.
I've had 3 invasions where it was clear I was gonna take out the host mysteriously disconnect right when the guy started getting overwhelmed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mordiceius posted:

What is a miracle? Is that just another name for a spell?

Kinda, the spells are divided into 3 categories.
Sorcery which scales off of int and requires a catalyst
Pyromancy which only scales off your firehand
Miracles which scale off of faith* and require a talisman.

*although there is a talisman for sale which scales your miracles off of int instead.

Also don't worry about usully being at 0 humanity, the item find boost is nice and so is the curse resistance but gear can easily duplicate both.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah NPCs will be there for you forever if you met their requirements. Thank god they do, I would never beat NG+ and beyond The Four Kings without Beatrice :swoon:

edit: You know, it feels like the developers were aware of most of the bullshit segments and implemented something to apologize for them. Solaire is there to help you on O+S. Ceaseless Discharge will jump to his death. There's the shortcut to Lost Izalith that goes past the lava and dragon asses. Beatrice is there to help out with the Four Kings.

The AI for the helpers sometimes leaves you wanting. I haven't been able to get Beatrice succesfully down the staircase once. She always spazzes out and starts firing off her soul arrow right after the fog door until I get halfway down the staircase and she jumps to her death to catch up.

Oh and someone was asking what helm that _OR-I_O_N- or whatever guy in the chaos srvant roster is wearing, it's crystalized knight helm, there's a set of crystalized armor you can find on a corpse in the grove just before Seath's crystal cave. Like all crystal equipment it can't be repaired though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Requested_Username posted:

I wonder if anyone's hit the max level yet?

Just in case some of you are wondering, it's 792, requiring 11 million souls to get there from 791. If someone with more free time than me wants to figure out how many souls total that is, here's the wiki page with all the soul level requirements: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/level-up-souls

Yes some duping with the dragonhead stuff has already led to a few characters with 99 straight down the line.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sighnoceros posted:

Yeah I'm aware of enchanted weapons and stuff but I also know I need a magic +5 before I can even get something to enchanted. But getting the magic ember requires beating Seath, which is a little later in the game than I was hoping to be able to make a magic weapon considering how early you meet the blacksmith and everything.

I guess lightning spear will be fine until then, I just wanted a good weapon as a melee backup for my spells.

Edit: Or apparently even after then. Looking at the guide again even magic/enchanted weapons that add an additional category of damage and still keep their stat scaling look like they probably aren't as good as elemental unless you're really stacked with int. What were they thinking?

I think the idea was in Demon Soul's non-scaling weapons were largely a dead-end like raw or say the way drake-sword is and the pendulum just swung too far the other way with elemental stuff this time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vanguard Warden posted:

Well, common knowledge on how the matchmaking works is apparently bogus. I was playing a level 1 pyromancer run when I dropped my sign in the undead parish, and got summoned by a level 5 thief for the gargoyle fight, twice in a row.

Yes, it's totally at least the 10 levels+10% like Demon souls for co-op and for PvP there may not actually be an upper-cap on who you hit but there is certainly a lower one.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vargs posted:

It takes like 4 minutes to get back up, and all you have to do is run past a handful of curse frogs that can do precisely jack poo poo as long as you don't stand still. Really, the only bad part is that little bit of horrible geometry that you can't climb without trying to roll over it 20 times.

I was more speaking of the fact that you can bypass levers that control the spike bridges in the catacombs by dropping off ledges in a clever way, meaning that there is literally no way to leave, completely loving your character permanently.

Actually there are a few backward "shortcuts" you can find that lead to the floor crumbling beneath you and drop you off earlier in the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lotish posted:

So...is there bonfire in New Londo? I'm not seeing one. And now that I've opened the gates to the Valley of the Drakes can I get Beatrice's stuff, or do the Kings have to die first?

Kings have to die first, and no there's no bonfire, but once you progress a bit a shortcut through valley of the drakes opens up.

• Locked thread