Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Bah, can't believe I got the release date of this mixed up, so I didn't pre-order, so I didn't get the free upgrade to the collector's edition.

Guess I'll be swinging by (ugh) Gamestop tomorrow after work to pick this up. Or...before work? Call out sick? Tempting, but no, not worth wasting a sick day.

I haven't actually read up on this as I should, so maybe while at work the rest of today and tomorrow I'll plow through the wiki and see what's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Gah, what the Hell? I didn't do a "real" pre-order, I just ordered today, so I certainly don't expect any kind of release date delivery. I do, however, get free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime....so why does it say delivery estimate Oct 7th?!

First off, I ordered it, IMO, early enough for it to ship today (I've ordered things later that did.) And even if it doesn't ship until tomorrow, because it has to wait for release day, shouldn't it be here Thursday? Why Friday?!

Though maybe Amazon is doing me a favor, since I'd be up really late playing it and not go to work Friday...thanks for not getting me fired, Amazon!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Want this game so bad! Canceled my not-yet-shipped Amazon order, will be getting it at Gamestop tonight.

Now, what class to play...someone earlier said a Knight can get a lightning bolt spell/miracle? Seems like a good idea...my first class in Demon Souls was a Royal, but I rarely spammed my spells, only at the occasional enemy giving me a hard time, or when I was trying to kill things I shouldn't have been yet (like that drat Red Eye Knight in world 1-1.) Most of the time I tried to go in with a longsword or, in tight locales, a rapier.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God, I'm terrible at all the poo poo I'll need the guide for, but it won't be here until he 7th...:gonk:

I'm the kind of guy who is using the worst weapon possible because I don't understand the stats properly, totally make the wrong build, and go the wrong direction and lock myself out of cool items/other stuff.

Guide, get here soon! :ohdear:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God, finally got to play this...roommate was monopolizing the PS3, and I"m not enough of a jerk to kick him off of it, even though it's mine.

So, just starting out in the asylum, still retarded, because there were a couple of messages on the ground on the upper level after talking with that knight who freed you saying "illusionary wall ahead" yet...there isn't? And I can see a corpse on the stairs with some loot, but I can't get to it from below because the stairs are smashed up, and I can't get to it from above because I need a key I don't have, even though I have the master key...lot of good that does...what doors does it even open?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wait...so those two, kind of nasty skeletons right after the tutorial don't even give you any souls?! Why am I wasting my time with them?!

(I would have got it the third time, but the second one riposted me when I was so close to finishing him off.)

Edit: Oh, some soul items...but then, like, four more of them that kill me because I didn't notice them there.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cool, went down to the Londo area, then up some stairs into Drake's Valley...was walking across a bridge, saw something odd, like a weird tree...got a bit closer- OH GOD DRAGON!!! But wait...he' doesn't seem to be moving at all, and his skin seems almost rotting...dead dragon! :buddy: And some items...run up, grab a sword, start to grab a shield- gently caress< DRAGON IS VERY ALIVE! He kills me with one swipe of a tail, or claw, or whatever...but I got the items first. :smug:

Was able to run back down and get my souls and not die, too, because now he decided to use some sort of acid breath that was pretty easy to avoid.

But I don't have high enough faith to use the sword, yet. :mad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is there any way to not get stun locked by enemies with big gently caress-off axes other than heavy armor? Does being more than 25% encumbered, and therefore having the lovely roll, have anything to do with it?

That's like 90% of my deaths...one guy whacks me, I'm stun-locked, other guy whacks me, repeat ad naseum.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

What's the large number in the circle next to my health and stamina bar? I never noticed it before...then it was a 1, now it's a 2...is it my humanity?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

flog montresor posted:

Do enemies scale up with your level so as to make grinding pointless/detrimental? I kinda wish I had more stamina, so I'm thinking about just taking a break from progression through the levels to just grind a bit of Endurance.

I think that as you go up in soul level, you get less souls from things...so say originally got got 50 souls from something, many levels later it might only be 20...but I'm not positive.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

gently caress that dragon...seriously, gently caress him.

Everyone says just run...I do, and he breaths fire when I'm about one second into the run. EVERY. TIME. So it's pure random chance, then?

I have waited and waited and he never breaths any till I am actually on the bridge, and there is never enough time to turn around and run back.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

What does the Big knight with the mace and the big shield in the undead parish drop? I killed him right as he killed me, and I'm wondering what I missed out on.

You didn't miss it, it will still be there when you get back.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

drat you, Amazon! I ordered the guide on Monday, before it was all "out of print" and crap, said it was scheduled for delivery on the 7th...got nervous when still no shipping notification today, then mid-morning I get an email saying it will be delayed and would I mind waiting for God only knows how long? :what:

Yeah, going to swing by and see if Gamestop has one and if they do, sorry Amazon...considering you current "best guess" is in November for delivery, I don't want to wait that long.

Really, all I want it for is poo poo like weapon and armor details...I have no loving clue what all those symbols in the weapon stat screens mean, and some have A, B, C or D, other symbols have numbers next to them, gah!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That one-legged, vagina-mouthed demon that's right out the doorway in the area of the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Anything special about him? I know other things have deals where you can get an item if you attack the tail. He's just so easy to plink away at with arrows, but only the front, so I'm wondering if I try to get in close where he's actually hard to fight will I get a special item from cutting off his tail.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So after ringing the bell in UP...first time against the gargoyles, no less. :smug:

I talked to a dude there and somehow I'm automatically in his covenant? Because he's a merchant too, but now there is an option to leave it...which one is it, even?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

So can I summon someone before the twin gargoyle fight? I almost did it on my first try but have not got close since. Can you only summon a certain number of times?

You can only summon if you're human (reserve hollowed.) Which costs humanity.

E: F,b.

Double edit: Oh, meant to ask...thread moves crazy fast, over 500 replies since I checked last night, so forgive me if it's been answered:

What should I give to the crow when I go back to the Asylum? I gave him some red moss, and got some twinkling titanite...is that all he gives? Or do different things get you other stuff in return? Is there a limit to the trading?

Triple edit: Oh, he has a listing on the wiki: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/crow

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 7, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

doomfunk posted:

Do crystal geckos respawn if you've killed them? I stumbled past Andre into the Darkroot Basin and found one, and got a twinkling titanite from it. As sad as it is I was actually hoping for basic titanite. :(

No, once you kill them, that's it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

gently caress me, that drat Drake just will not appear when I'm on the top of the tower in Undead Parish.

I killed the knight up there, but no Drake...I go down the stairs, I can see him up there, go up the stairs, he's gone.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

(weapon)

http://i.imgur.com/4i49z.jpg

Jesus this thing is huge :stare:. 32 str to wield it. Mines 23 and I can only 2 hand it. Got it from the black knight at the very start of the undead parish. It's labelled as an 'ultra greatsword' in the description. Seems appropriate!

No fair! I killed that guy and Just got a giant shield that takes more strength than my current one, is heavier, and worse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ok, so where do I go after Undead Parish?

I tried New Londo Ruins, but that doesn't seem right...those drat ghosts raped me in half a second. Can't hurt them, and they have a much bigger attack range than they initially look...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The locked door before the bridge in the UD burg. You need transient curses to fight the ghosts in new londo ruins. They also do a grab attack that can hit you through block. I was able to clear new londo and get the curse resist ring in there that made the area you're about to go into a lot easier.

I went down there...did everything except the Capra...I have to fight him? :ohdear:

He kicked my rear end all the times I've tried so far.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ok, finally got done the Depths...holy Hell, I hated that...and the Gaping Dragon will give me nightmares! :gonk:

I got a key...but I don't know where to use it...how do I even get to Blighttown? I know it's under Firelink Shrine, somehow, but I've only found Londo Ruins and Drake Valley there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The guy in a cage below the staring point of New Londo is asking for my Enchanted Ember...should I give it to him? :ohdear:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I really hate how DS automatically puts consumables into your free inventory slots. I have wasted several items that way because I'm used to thinking to myself "ok, hit down once, that's X item, hit it again, back to Estus flask, use it...oh gently caress, that was that a Soul of a Legendary Knight, or something, now I have an extra 5000 souls, let's hope I don't die and lose them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

:stare:

THERE'S A BONFIRE RIGHT NEAR THAT DOOR?!

This whole time whenever I've died or done the cheapo soul farming trick in Darkroot Garden, I've had to start all the way back in the UP bonfire...how did I never notice that one right loving there before?!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gah, summoning/getting summoned is still a pain in the butt. Went to fight Iron Golem, and figured a good thing to do would be let someone summon me so I can see how the boss fights, hoe much damage I would take/deal, etc...

Waited ~5 minutes to get summoned, not bad. Boss went down pretty easy, so I went to do him myself, so I tried to summon someone...five tries later, finally got someone. They kept failing, not sure why.

Still took that boss down like a chump, though. :smug:

(And then when leaving, because I wasn't ready to go to Andor Londo...so I left using the cage shortcut, but as I was running back along that path, skillfully avoiding the pendulums, that drat lizard wizard zaps me with a fireball just as I am in the path of a pendulum...dead...so long, being human, nice while it lasted.

Now...where do I find a blacksmith that can do lightning things?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, after reading up a bit, I really want to join Blade of the Darkmoon.

I never liked invading people in DeS, because I don't like being a dick...but invading people because they sinned, and I am the Angel of Destruction sent to avenge the fallen?

gently caress YEAH! :black101:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Zain posted:

I think this might have gotten passed up so I'll post it one more time

The bird is a one-time per-item deal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ugh, really getting tired of trying and failing to do some multiplayer.

I just want to help people kill the Iron Golem, but it takes ~15 to 15 minute at least before someone summons me, then either it fails, or the summoner is stupid and dies inside of 15 seconds...as in, they run in, don't wait for us phantoms, and get killed as we come out of the fog.

In one case, the guy forgot to kill the bomb throwing giant, so we had to deal with that for the fight...which also didn't last long.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gildiss posted:

If you want some PVP action, head to the forest area in human form. I am level 110 and I get to kill people from all level brackets. It is amazing seeing little babby drake sword wielders coming at me.

Or if you want PvP with no penalty, do what I did and join the Forest Covenant. Get summoned on average once every five minutes when wearing the ring...essentially no penalty for dying, but a shitload of souls and an item for winning. Obviously not a covenant to stick with, since there's no leveling in it, but a nice one to be in to soul farm for a while and then leave.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DeadBlack posted:

Don't know if you guys have gone over this but I think it's strange. The red dragon on the bridge just randomly died. It disappeared and I got 10000 souls. Is this game breaking or is it just a lucky glitch?

I think it's a glitch...it seems to happen to a lot of people (happened to me.)

Did you, by any chance, shoot him with an arrow from atop the tower that has a Black Knight in it? That's what did it for me...he took an arrow to the head, went down to the bridge, then disappeared right in front of me...blinked out of existence.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Catacombs, right before the Titanite Demon, there's a mess of skeletons on that ridge before you go in the tomb...where is the necromancer that controls them? They keep following me in and messing me up, and I can't keep them dead!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

HOLY MOTHER OF LIVING gently caress!!!~!!!

Are you making GBS threads me with those rolling skeleton things?!! There was nothing I could do...nothing. As soon as I dropped down there, they rolled at me...or, I'll block...or wait, they don't stop rolling...ever. Down goes my stamina, down goes my health...

I go back to get my souls, which are surely on that top ledge where that Black Knight was, right? I wasn't down there that long...nope...they are down there to.

Couldn't get to them...almost 150,000 gone.

I know, I shouldn't have that much, but I had nothing to spend them on. I didn't want to level up that much yet because I was alternating helping people beat Iron Golem and I didn't want to out level them.

Also lost nine humanity.

That's one of the few complete BS deaths so far...pure, unadulterated, BS...there was literally nothing I could do to stop them. What the gently caress?! How do I even get past them at all?!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

The catacombs don't suck so hard once you get a Divine weapon and some patience.

I've been told that, and I call BS on that, too. Unless a Divine bow doesn't count? :confused:

It's not my main weapon by any means, but I tried to use it to kill just a couple skeletons that followed me into a mini-boss area, and nope...they got right back up again like they always do.

Unless you mean just because Divine does more damage, but I seem to remember people saying Divine keeps them from respawning.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

For the shitshow that was The Catacombs, Pinwheel went down like a little bitch.

Then I tried to follow the colored lights, but went to the wrong one, fell down a hole, screen had just enough time to flash "Tomb of the Giants" before I finally hit land and died.

gently caress that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I really can't wait for that multiplayer patch, assuming it fixes the God-awful "someone lags, and you get back-stabbed" glitch.

And how come no matter what, I'm always the one who gets backstabbed, or hit even though I'm ten feet away? Never the other guy...never.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

gently caress those Anor Londo snipers! :negative:

I honestly have no idea how to get by them...I've tried going really light and just running fast enough so I get out of the range of the one behind me...nope.

Tried going heavy and put on all stone armor...nope.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So I finished Anor Londo and don't know where to go next...I thought the orange doorway thingy would let me pass, but it doesn't. I've heard about this painted world, and I found what I think is the painting, how do I get in it?

I don't have to go to New Londo now, do I? Ghosts...ugh...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

How do I get the Blue Eye Orb to work? It's sort of greyed out in the equipment slot and my guy just raises his hands up in a "derp, not working! :downs:" pose when I try to use it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Prism stones don't go away unless you die. They also shoot out sparks constantly. What are you talking about?

But you can shoot arrows further. A prism stone will drop only right in front of you, you can shoot arrows ten to fifteen feet ahead easily, making it much quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, gently caress Seath. And having to go back through the Crystal Caves and face all those loving Maneater Shells every time I die? gently caress...oh, and cursed, obviously.

Honestly, I have no idea how I can even come close to beating this guy. I'm SL 63, which should be more than enough, but even using the strategy laid out in the guide I die every time. It says it's attacks are easily telegraphed...except I can see that telegraphing because i have to get in close to hit him and all I see is a wall of light.

• Locked thread