Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
I'm super behind on the thread but just finished the (boss after second bell) hydra the other day and ended up pretty much lucking out after a dozen deaths. My strategy ended up as wade out in the water with the black knight greatsword and stand as far out on the point as out can, then one step back. He'll come out and miss with every water blast and 90% of head strikes, which you can block if one clips you. Two swipes a head and finished after a few tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Graviija posted:

Once I got the BKGA upgraded at the end of my first playthrough, I never stopped using it. I'm in NG+++, and it has never stopped being an excellent weapon, while my upgraded lightning claymore became pretty weak.

I can't imagine switching to another weapon at this point. :black101:

I really wanted this and made a point to go to the catacombs and kill the BK for one, and he didn't drop it even with 410 item find. Now I have to wait until the end of the game just to find another.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
After getting a PS3 for black friday, decided to restart after 50 hours in the 360 version. Chose master key and immediately summoned some dude with the fury sword and badass armor to trounce the parish and we both jumped on the tauros demon at the same time to finish it. Going to try and stay human the whole way through for this run.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Been sunbroing all day with lightning spear miracle and black knight greatsword, killed so many gargoyles. Had a bro help me with capra and gaping, but then I forgot to summon Soltaire for the dragon. Did I already gently caress myself for his questline? I had two other sunbros with me so I didn't even see the sign.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

gravyflood posted:

Sorry to bring it up again, but does Karmic Justice trigger if you fall below 50% health, or one burst of 50+% of your maximum health?

From what I've read it'll also trigger from 4-5 hits in a short enough period, possibly good for mobs of dudes? Could test it on the mobs near the channeler under the gargoyles.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
All the backstab stuff wouldn't be so bad if two-handing something protected against it, because you do have a shield on your back so why wouldn't it? Sacrifice normal blocking resistance to prevent people from taking 2/3 your life if they happen to roll behind you.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Earlier I was just getting to Sens and got invaded the second I walked in. I took a defensive position and sure enough a dude in heavy armor with the stamina aura and some crazy large weapon comes flipping towards me and my lovely cable decides to die right then. I might of even been able to fight on the narrow bridge but took it as a sign and played the rest offline without a hitch.

Except I lost 9 humanity to a trap. :(

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

dexplosivo posted:

Where's a good spot to sunbro at SL 90? I've been busy loving around with weapon upgrades and need to pick up my last few miracles in the Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I'll just save the medals I have on this character and run NG+ a time or two for the extras you get from Solaire, Lautrec, and Anor Londo. Shame they don't have a farm spot for the Sunlight Medals the way they do for Eyes of Death and Souvenirs of Reprisal. Those were super easy post-patch.

It would be nice to have some sort of report from FROM of average levels bosses are being beat at after the patch. With so many souls dropped now they have to be slightly inflated, and doing any sunbroing will lead to a bunch extra as well. I'm currently doing Iron Golem with a bunch of jp guys for 20k a pop and easy medals at 35.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

cougar cub posted:

Is SL50 too high to be assisting at Iron Golem?

edit - hurrrr why didn't I just read the OP which lists Sens at 25-40, sorry

I've read all kinds of misinformation about summoning but supposedly the range for assisting is much greater now, I've been summoned at 45 and 47 for golem and was doing gargoyles at 35. Also using the kiln glitch to get all the black knight weapons that wouldn't drop has made me praise so many suns. I have gotten the BK greatsword every time but finally have a halberd and GAX to play with.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
I've been rolling human most of my game and had way more fun for it, either sunbroing or having others to roll with me.

Also while white/gold phantoming you won't lose anything for dying so just do whatever. You get more for beating the boss but you have nothing to lose by sacrificing yourself so your bro can finish the level.

I'm currently 47 and have to two-hand black knight weapons, but I've been doing tons of Anor Londo sunbroing. Is it worth increasing my level to 59 for one-handed weapons or should I stay here for now?

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Edo Animus posted:

This is one of the downsides to a thread with over a hundred gazillion replies, a lot of little things get lost. About 400 pages ago (not even joking) I made the observation that if you activate the coffin teleporter after killing Nito it will always be in the boss room as a shortcut up into the Catacombs.

At about the same time, I had posted a cool shortcut trick in Anor Londo, the one where you can jump off the spiral staircase to avoid all but one of the Silver Knights when running to O&S (and all of them if you're quick) because some people were having trouble getting back to O&S quickly. It got ignored for for about 20 pages then someone else posted a speed run video and specifically mentioned the staircase jump as being awesome and unique.

I was just trying to help some Hollow brothers out. :(

I've probably sunbroed for 3 dozen ALs recently, other than drinking and walking the roof, it's nothing but a formality now.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

NESguerilla posted:

I started a new character from scratch and there is literally no reason to partake in pvp early game when every early area is crawling with low level griefers. I realize that they aren't necessarily going for balance, but it's just kind of ridiculous when you end up in an unwinnable fight every 5 minutes. It's just to easy to exploit the system to put yourself at a 100 percent chance of winning.

I think I played for 3 hous last night and got to the depths and was invaded maybe 6 times. Every single one was using lightning weapons and clearly had beaten 4 kings etc. I imagine this would be really frustrating for people who are playing for the first time.

Rolling with two bros makes this better, but 2/3s of all invaders have just been backflipping backstabbing assholes in huge armor. I've gone to the trouble of hiding around corners and surprising dudes with BKGA and such only to have them take the hit and roll around for a 1-hit kill. The few invasions of people around my level have been great, actual careful standoffs or magic duels which come down to blows or flanking actions. It would be nice if it matched on souls invested rather than levels, pyromancy would be reflected accurately as would high leveled armor or weapons. Or at least had some sort of effect of the matching so griefers could just get stuck together. Maybe if the counter miracle prevented/reduced the damage and did the big hit it could be more worthwhile.

I've really been enjoying my time in Anor Londo, I seem to have a greater number of normal leveled dudes around here and can help with some of the shittier parts of the game. I think I've spent 5-10 hours so far either on the O&S fight itself or walking people through the whole thing. Once someone summoned me in during the first gargoyle and got darkmoon invaded at the same time, never had seen a covenant breaker before. Even had a dragon greatbow on the painted warrior roof, managed to zap him with lightning spears and knock him off.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Kongming posted:

Does anyone know how soul rewards in PvP work? Is it based on the souls your opponent was carrying at the time or what? I've been awarded from under 10000 to over 200000 souls a kill while PvPing in the kiln. Made over one million souls relatively quickly, of course at this point I have nothing left to spend them on.

This will tell you in reverse, based on how many souls you get: http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Went to the trouble of getting gravelord at sl9 to infect gargoyles, sword is great but it sucks having no idea if anything is happening. Fog doors go up and down sometimes, but after two eyes both have been red normal phantoms invading, not the gravelord victims. Would be nice to be able to see your victims no matter what, watch them as they deal with your poo poo or something.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
After more gravelording at SL9 in gargoyleland I reiterate that it would be way more fun if every person wasn't wielding a lightning weapon, back flipping, and using way stronger armor than they should. First spirit of vengeance I got had the gargoyle helm on, something they shouldn't be even able to get if I was gravelording them there. I understand I'm kind of greifing low leveled guys, but I'm still wearing poo poo gear and a gravelord sword.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Schwartzcough posted:

You sure those invaders had anything to do with your gravelording? When I tried out Gravelording, I would just keep getting normal invaders over and over again, since you need to sit around in human form to use the Eyes of Death anyway. I get the impression none of my "infections" ever actually worked, since I put my sign in obvious places and waited loooong period of time without any victim invasions.

Yea, because if it says 'spirit of vengeance' and is blue it is in response to your sign, and if it is red and says otherwise it is an invasion. Of my three eyes two were invaders with crazy gear, one was a spirit with crazy gear. Eventual lesson is that no matter where you are set up someone will work to be there at low SL with endgame gear.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Gravelording so far has been some sort of magnet for exactly one build. Red armor: fully statted, lightning sword of some form, blackflip ring, poison daggers. Of all the eyes I've used only two of the gravelord victims have come in, and around a dozen normal invaders, all the exact same build. It's starting to feel like if I had a ring that prevented lightning sword backstabs I would be invincible in pvp.

I really hope there is another patch.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Sometimes it seems like networking just takes a poo poo in the game, been sitting in quelaags for 30 mins with eye of death active with no red or blue phantoms. I still see all the messages but no one wants to connect for some reason. Still even see grey phantoms.

Also finally got a successful gravelording session in the depths, had a few blue guys invade that were normal leveling dudes, one in a board helmet with a halberd and some guy in knight armor. Killed both before being invaded by red phantom #40k with lightning shotel and heavy backflip armor.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Gaggins posted:

Speaking of this, a certain helpful serpent has fallen asleep and I can't wake him up. Is there a way to do this or does he wake up naturally at a certain point?

Punch him/hit him once to wake him up.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

a foolish pianist posted:

Try to summon help, or get lucky and kick them off an edge somewhere.

Sometimes getting invaded just means you have to die. It sucks, but then that's Dark Souls for you.

On a somewhat related note, is it worth pushing faith up to 30 to use the greater lightning spear from the sunbro covenant?

It shouldn't mean you have to die though, most of the game is built so any one dude should have a chance. It's only people really loving with the game that makes the low level invasions poo poo. I'd like a stealth patch where low level high equipped dudes just invaded each other and saw each other as the host. It may thin out the pool a bit but would be worth it just to have all the lightning sword guys have nothing to fight but each other. There's a bunch of ways to catch this, either checking for bosses beat, total souls gained or aggregate stats.

Also the spear is barely better, think the great does 50-100 more damage but still has 10 casts. Worth it if you like lightning.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
After a decent morning of gravelording in the depths (9 red, 1 blue) I actually found one dude not using a lightning katana, it was a fire halberd. I only stopped because I was being invaded by the same dude over and over and he was lagging so bad he was just blinking in and out of the game. The odd thing is in all the pvp using the GL sword I have never toxined a dude, either got lucky and killed in two hits or it never builds up. Even using dung pies to add to it I can't seem to break the threshold.

This is also a good reminder that using non-elemental weapons other than black knight equipment is just too much of a disadvantage. Also that gravelording is only griefing yourself, because you just become a magnet for griefers rather than any of the intended effects.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

gravyflood posted:

To be clear, when you say "non-elemental" do you mean any path other than fire or lightning, or normal path?

Divine and Occult can be useful sometimes, but mostly fire and lightning. As said earlier they are no risk, all reward and allow someone to do a ton of damage in rarely resisted types. The only way to really be safe is heavy armor, but that will leave you super open to backstabs which will just ignore all those resists and do extra damage for the insult.

Normal can be good only with very large weapons that do tons of stamina damage or other wise will break with poise. Otherwise you might was well just be slashing at a brick wall because you will just exhaust your stamina before your opponent takes a sliver. Also scaling can be unreliable, Gravelord sword is e/e when the other two weapons in the category are e/b and it takes too much stamina to swing all out.

I get that the meta is what it is, but it sucks being relegated to sunbroing and pve because from doesn't want to/isn't able to patch it to balance.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
I think the time frame has passed for LP time, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anything yet. I've played through a few times, but around the time of the bottomless box bug I just figured it would be worth waiting out another patch or just giving the griefers a rest.

Otherwise just looking forward to seeing a full non-speedrun go at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

thebardyspoon posted:

Is Gravelord Servant really broken? I was looking forward to dicking around with that some on another character. Are they likely to patch it or have they said they're finished at this point?

Being a gravelord is mostly just getting invaded a ton because it acts like a dried finger and allows people to invade you over and over. It only works in places you haven't beat the boss and you have to be human. Also the sword is cool but requires demon titanite to upgrade (which sucks to get) and seems to never cause toxic in my experience.

Also you have no idea if it is even working until your fog gates come up and it always is just someone invading in backflipping havel armor with lightning zwei and you just wasted your eye of death and aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh.

I really wish they would just patch it.

• Locked thread