Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there any point in buying other keys as a thief since you have the master key? Not entirely clear on what it does.

Also, holy hell I'm getting my rear end kicked a ton.

Edit: Also, should I be trying for heavier armor than my leather? Considering getting chainmail at the vendor but I have no idea if it'd actually end up detrimental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is killing Havel actually worth it? I've died to this rear end in a top hat a couple dozen times now and am at the point of saying gently caress it and doing something else.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

gently caress whoever made the decision to force players to refight the same enemies over and over again to reach a one-hit kill boss. I finally beat Havel but this was some incredibly tedious bullshit. No expected sense of satisfaction, just relief that it's finally over.

Edit: Since it's been pages since I asked and never got an answer, is there any reason to buy keys if you have a Master Key already? Pretty unclear on what it actually does.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Hopefully the third time's a charm on asking this. Is there any point to buying keys if you've already got the Master Key? The game is fairly vague on what the Master Key can and can not open.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Arcan posted:

Does anyone know if the swing animations for the weapons with ridiculous requirements (Black Knight Halberd, Demon's Great Hammer) changes when you actually have the stats for them? There's an unbelievable delay after swinging them that makes them worthless in any practical sense. Now that I know high dexterity boosts rolls from this thread, I'm contemplating restarting my character if all the high strength stuff is impossible to use.

Seems that way. Until I put the needed points in strength to use the Winged Spear my character was just kinda flailing about with it but started using it much more effectively once I met the requirements.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

How was it that you're supposed to plink away at the Drake in the Undead Burg? I've got some time to kill wasting arrows on it.

Edit: Mostly wondering how many arrows it will take from a normal Shortbow. Don't want to waste a bunch of time grinding souls for arrows only to find out I don't actually have enough.

Edit part two: \/\/\/\/\/ It sounded like someone had completely killed it from there, which was what I was curious about. I've already grabbed the Drake Sword

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 6, 2011

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

How do you parry? I've just been blocking so far, but I'm realizing it'd be nice to know how going forward, but I apparently missed the tutorial message in the Asylum.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

What is this boss-looking thing below the first Blacksmith? I keep trying to get a closer look but then turn coward and run away the second he starts shooting lightning at me.

Edit: Am I wasting my time farming souls to upgrade my weapons and armor here? I get the feeling that the second I get everything to +5 I'm going to find something a lot better that would make all this effort wasted.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Can you get summoned by NPCs just like you can be invaded by them? Last night I helped a 'Hiro Random' beat the Moonlight Butterfly. In addition to his name he was getting stuck on geometry and generally just acting like an AI character.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Im at the Bridge in the Undead Burbs where the dragon sprays fire over it. How do I get around or past it?

Sprint, sprint for all that you're loving worth. Halfway across the bridge there's a staircase down, that's where you want to go.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Edit: ^^^^And the ring, the ring is worth the effort, forgot it existed even though I'm wearing it.

im a girl btw posted:

What do you get for killing the knight with the enormous club at the bottom of the tower you fight Taurus Demon on top of?

He 1-shots me but I think I can take him if I try a little harder, I just want to know if it's worth the effort or if I should come back later.

You get access to an area probably too rough for your level. I died about three dozen times to him when I first got there before finally killing him, saw what was on the other side, said 'nope', and went back the way I came.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Do ever need to buy more than a single orange soapstone? I never bothered buying one, figuring I could spend the souls better leveling up and on my equipment, but reading a few posts, it sounds like it's just one reusable item rather than an expendable. I'm a ways off from the undead merchant and trying to decide if I should go backtrack to get it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

It's not a consumable. You only need one.

Ah good, a couple messages that have been left made me laugh, 'Danger: Fire' in the middle of the bridge, five feet from where the dragon first burns everything needs an uprating.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

How are you supposed to deal with the slime down in the Depths? It seems like the only way I can hurt them is with Firebombs, but I'm running low and haven't been able to find a way back up after I fell down a pit.

Edit: Turns out the enemy was just too low the ground to be hit by my spear. Pain in the rear end.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 9, 2011

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Elysiume posted:

So I basically keep getting shredded, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing armor-wise. All I have is thief armor, and I found an oh-so-useful new set of thief armor. That's it. I've been statting vitality, but I still get 2-3 shotted by everything.

I've been playing a thief as well and that's what it's been like for me. The best advice I can give is to find a good shield (the Hollow Soldier's Shield has worked well for me so far) and do your damnedest not to get hit. How far in the game are you? I just finished the depths, and it's only just now starting to feel insufficient.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 10, 2011

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the depths are. I'm on that demon with the dogs that attack you right when you get through the fog, after the gargoyles. I'm also a thief.

edit: I guess I could try flipping to human with some item-humanity and seeing if there are any sigils, but it seems like a bad crutch to rely on.

You could farm souls and upgrade your armor and shield. It worked well for me, and you need the souls for the forest key as well. I have all of my thief armor at +4, and several weapons at +5. It helps a ton.

Edit: I've not had to (entirely because of my lovely internet), but you shouldn't feel reluctant to get help. This game is brutal, just pay it forward when you can.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Is there a good place to get maximum yield farming?

I went back and forth clearing out the Parish over and over again. Just clearing the church and the main gate area was getting me about 900 souls every few minutes. It's tedious, but I'm glad I did it. Took about an hour overall, I think. Those rougher enemies seem more likely to drop Titanite Shards as well, which saves you 800 souls each time you grab one.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Speaking of the Parish, can I get that drat gate to stay open?

On of the respawning skeleton swordsman closes it each time you get close. If you run it you can get through the gate before he closes it and kill him. It's a pain, but it's not too bad once you're used to it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Elysiume posted:

If you die while assisting, do you lose anything?

Nothing apart from wasting some time, as far as I can tell.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

Is there a merchant that sells lots of the pine resin to get the lightning coating on a regular weapob?

The guy down in the sewers just before Blighttown sells it for 1k souls a pop.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Do weapons stop scaling with stats after a certain point? I've gotten my Dex to 41 and it seems the only thing that's affected by it rising anymore is my Bow, and only barely then. Getting the feeling I may've wasted an absolute ton of levels getting it to that point.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

DarkArchimedes posted:

There's not any good math on it that I've seen, but once you get over 40, the scaling appears to drop off. It's why weapons with multiple scalings, or scaling + elemental are generally preferred. Having your Dex at 41 is good, I'd say, cause you've crossed over the threshold without wasting any levels.

I don't know how you're playing the game, but there are plenty of good Str/Dex weapons if you wanted to start dropping into another stat.

My experience is that a very small percentage of players actually care about the viability of the move set compared to something that does reasonable damage that gets them through the game. As far as normal single player is concerned, I think worrying about min-maxing move sets is over-rated and generally unnecessary if you just want to play through the game once or twice.

I basically went into the game blind until I heard about the Furysword (kinda a coincidence that people are talking about it now) and worked towards it, figuring it'd be a good dex-based character, since the only planning that happened was "I'm a thief, I should pump Dex!" Was actually about to ask if there might be something better for me than my +5 Furyblade and +4 Lightning Spear that I should look into.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Does anyone have any advice taking on Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough? This is my second character, and I don't know if I got lucky the first time or what, but I cannot beat Smough once he's powered up for anything. I've wasted about twelve humanity summoning Solaire for the fight, but he's almost worthless against Smough.

The specific problem is Smough's buttsmash shockwave attack that almost always one-shots me. I manage to dodge it by sheer luck occasionally, but I can't manage to get away consistently enough to end the fight. Would it be worth it to try and pump up my electricity resistance and try to block it?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Actually a terrible idea for O+S because you'll get one-shotted by lightning. If you've got the eagle shield and a few titanite shards to upgrade it, it has 75% lightning block, and can take all of Smough's hammerstrikes at +5 or so.

Will this block the Buttsmash too? I actually have the Eagle Shield at +10 after farming to upgrade it to see if it'd do better than my Hollow Soldier's Shield. I really don't have any trouble dodging any of his other attacks, but that shockwave is brutal.

edit:

big duck equals goose posted:

I used it on my fight and NG+ and never had a problem. Hell, I even kill Smough first and just crowd around DS's feet wailing on him for the NG.

Like above, did Iron Flesh let you live through that attack? I've not really messed with any spells yet, but I'm getting frustrated enough with this fight to start.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Roumba posted:

How on earth are you supposed to (Anor Londo stuff): defeat Lurdric or what's his name + cronies when you invade his world? You can't Estus or bring phantoms with you. Is the plan to draw them off one at a time? :(

There are stairs to either side that you can lure them up. It's not quite one at a time as they can squeeze by sometimes but it does make it much simpler. I stood at the top with my lightning spear and got stabbing whenever one got close.

• Locked thread