Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
There aren't any fancy combos or terribly specific special maneuvers, you have a pretty simple set of moves and the hard part is using them at the right time and in the right direction. Tried doing a heavy attack while some zombie fucker is already in your face? He gets in a quick chop while you're winding up and interrupts your swing. Try swinging a two-handed greatsword in a narrow hallway? Your blade clumsily hits the stone beside you and makes a few sparks. Keep your shield up for too long while you try to hide behind it? Run out of stamina, your arm gets tired, and they brush your shield aside and decapitate you. Dodge too soon when someone's getting ready to swing at you? They wait a moment and smash you while you're recovering from your dive to the side. Try to do some fancy twirling parry-riposte maneuver with your sweet-looking dual scimitars? It's possible, but if you miss the split-second timing at any point against any of the three dudes ganging up on you, you will be eviscerated. If you try showing off with some fancy poo poo against another player, you will just embarrass yourself, then they will kick your teeth in and laugh while they run off with your lunch money.

So yeah, totally an 'easy to learn, hard to master' thing.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
When you enter a new area, a couple of big words appear on the screen showing the place's name. Like, "Undead Burg" from the E3 demo.

Otherwise, it'd be like one of those old-timey maps of the world, where the uncharted territory near the assumed edge of the world just has 'HERE BE DRAGONS,' and maybe a couple pictures of sea monsters, except in DS+ that is the entire world.

So. Now, Invading people is harder to do. You need either some special cirucmstantial shenanigans to come up from being part of a covenant, (dudes trespassing in your forest covenant's territory, counter-invasions if you set up a gravelord, or oathbreakers if you're in that darkmoon covenant) or if you want to do a classic 'insert yourself into someone else's world and kill him,' you need some kinda-rare kinda-expensive limited-use invasion item. Initially I was kinda disappointed that PVP was made less accessible and harder. Now I realize it's a brilliant move to avoid having a lame, static pvp-dueling scene crop up like in DS-. If you invade someone, you've got a few thousand soulbucks on the line. It's like, you have to ante up before playing Invasion, meaning you have something to lose from the start, in addition to the potential profit from killing and eating someone's humanity. This encourages invaders to actually play to win, by fighting dirty and using the environment instead of showing up and /bowing before engaging in honorable 1 on 1 combat, over and over again.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Macksy posted:

I still don't quite have a handle on this game. Would it be accurate to describe it as a combat oriented Zelda game, but with ninja gaiden-esque ball crushing difficulty?

That's actually pretty close, yeah. Plus a more RPG-like system of upgrading your dude's stats and getting nicer/more specialized equipment.

MediumWellDone posted:

Just picked it up today thanks to this thread. Pity I'm busy with work for the rest of the week and am going on to a wedding this weekend :argh:

Where the rear end did you find it a week early?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
When I heard about that, I assumed there'd be like one or maybe two doors in the world that don't actually have normal keys and can only be opened with a Master key. So you could either blow it for convenience's sake, or save it up for The Ultimate Secret somewhere down the line. But that's just wild speculation.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

KezzKezzan posted:

To answer your question, yes! The demon drops his massive hammer. It requires over 45 strength to use. It is an entire waste to get on your first playthrough, because there is almost no way you'll have that much strength by the end of your playthrough - and you can get it on NG+ when you have your better gear and stats. And will have the chance to use it.

Using a weapon two-handed applies 1.5x your strength to the weapon; that means a bigger damage boost to smashier weapons like hammers as opposed to dexier weapons like rapiers, and relaxed equipment requirements. So really, you only need 31 or 32 str to swing that daemonic gently caress-hammer around, which is a bit of a strength-heavy specialization but easily attainable in one playthrough.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 30, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
IGN rates Dark Souls a 9.0.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/30/dark-souls-video-review?objectid=86621

The biggest mark against it in their final line? "-Not for the timid."

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

homeless snail posted:

Must be something special about purple phantoms.

My understanding is that they're spirits of vengeance tasked with hunting down oathbreakers who have left a covenant. Regular invaders are red-tinted rather'n purple, and helpers are glowy and white. And, apparently, your name stays on the list of oathbrakers - probably near the top - until you get killed for satisfaction. So it looks like you can get some kind of 'most wanted' reputation going by staying on that list for as long as you're able to cut down all comers.

Go choke and die.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 1, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

GhostDog posted:

So, after about eight hours, these are the ways I can go

1) Area with enemies that I can't hurt with my current equipment
2) Area with enemies that I can whittle down but revive immediately after death
3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

Murderboss B might be doable, but I have to fight him and his two loving dogs in a room as big as my bathroom :argh:

Huntsekker posted:

Posting this in the hopes that it actually does something: http://goo.gl/MZQ2k

I clicked through a couple of pages worth to help out. I preordered this tonight, i'm just going back and forth on if i'll actually open it. For some reason I'm worried this game is just going to frustrate me and i'll be out sixty bucks.

If things get too tough, you can power through most nigh-impossible situations by summoning some other dudes to help you out. (You need to spend a humanity point at a bonfire to get yourself into Meat Form, then you can go online and pick up a couple of phantom buddies (via signs on the ground) to kill things for you.) There are also NPCs you can talk to who will offer to help in the same manner, if you are either offline or can't find anyone.

It might take a couple of tries, if you happen to summon somebody who sucks more than you (but even then it turns a boss fight into a 2v1, which is hugely easier) but sooner or later you'll get a ghost-buddy who is awesome and can get you past a particular hurdle. I think you can summon two dudes at once, if all else fails. Might take a few minutes, though.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 1, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Kindling a bonfire lets you spawn from that bonfire with more flasks. Being a host for summons is the main benefit, and having more humanity/being in human form increases the rate of item drops from everything. Also, NPCs react to you differently when you're fully fleshed out - some of the more pious "good guy" looking dudes won't wanna associate with a zombified husk. I think it also increases your Curse Resist, which is nicer than it might sound at first. Also, whenever you do anything in human form, you look better doing it.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Leyburn posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress can't I switch my target between enemies with the right stick like I could in Demon's Souls? It only seems to work 1 out of every 10 attempts and it's really making dealing with groups of enemies a lot more difficult than it needs to be since I can't quickly move my target to the guy who is closest.

If you go into your options, there's a thing called 'auto targeting,' which you can turn on or off. I saw it on a stream and wasn't sure what it did - maybe de/activating it will make target-swapping more comfortable?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
^^ Yeah that's totally viable, get some Faith for healing/buffing action.

literallyincredible posted:

Also, I'm still really unclear on the difference between sorcery and pyromancy, can anyone who has the game explicate on that a bit? Do they use different catalysts? Are their spells different "types" (that is, in Demon's Souls miracles were nearly all healing or defensive in nature apart from that one wrath one, whereas Magic had like 2 defensive spells and everything else was killing poo poo. But miracles still exist in Dark Souls from what I can tell, so whats the distinction between sorcery and pyromancy?)

Sorcery and Pyromancy both use the same stats (attunement for more spell slots, intelligence for more spell power) and function basically the same except that they need a different weapon equipped; a spell-stick or a glowy hand, respectively, both of which you can buy from NPCs pretty early on. Sorcery has a mix of defensive/offensive/weird spells and pyromancy is mostly offensive but has a few outliers, like the one that gives you a watery shield for big fire resistance.

Basically, it's like the difference between a sword and a hammer, only with magic instead of hitting things. A character can use them both equally well, except they have different attack patterns and damage types. So a specialized caster is probably going to carry around a mix of both spell types, and switch things around based on the situation, or whichever he's more comfortable using.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Outfreakage posted:

Greetings fellow masochists!

Has anyone found Lucerne yet? If so, feel free to point me in the right direction!

You have a heart of gold...

It's in the crypt-looking place, downhill and past a bunch of skeletons from the Firelink shrine. You'll have to go across a land-bridge and kill a necromancer or two before you find it, but it's just sitting on a shelf with some bones, not hidden or anything. It's entirely possible that there's more than one in the world, though.

Also, mirdan hammer spoilers, it's not as dreamy as you might be imagining. It's not just a super-halberd, it has a taller, slower, and harder to use vertical swinging animation for its attacks.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I don't really get covenants. If you join one, and it gives you a lightning-spear kill-spell as a signing bonus, do you keep the spell if you leave?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Maybe some hero who got the guide can help me answer a question? I know that you can get some special weapons and spells from joining covenants and doing things for them. If you leave/break a covenant, do you lose access to the neat stuff they gave you? Specifically, I want to be able to keep that awesome lightning javelin miracle from Solaire and the sun-buddies.

Also, I ordered from Amazon with release date shipping, and everything went smoothly and arrived on time. Yay!

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 4, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

kater posted:

Aww is this true? The very first user message I got after the tutorial was "be wary attacking this guy" so of course I've been murdering every NPC I come across since. On a scale of screwed to screwed^10 how screwed am I?

About a 3. Most of those assholes, you can easily do without. Just don't kill the blacksmith (very obviously hammering a thing on an anvil) or you'll be screwed a lot further.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I made a bad decision, and I think it permanently screwed me! I started as a pyromancer, then later went back to the tutorial area and tried trading stuff to Snuggly the Trading Crow. He wanted soft and warm stuff, and I figured, hey, this burning hand catalyst thing is probably warm, and there's certainly another one to find in the game for everyone else who didn't start as a pyromancer, just like every other catalyst. So I exchanged it for a titanite chunk. :downs:

Quite a bit later, I found the pryomancery merchant guy in a barrel. He won't sell me a replacement fire hand, and after exhausting all conversational options, he won't give me one. He starts on an explanation of pyromancy, then says, "Oh, right, sorry, you're already a pyromancer." Is there anywhere else to get a pyromancy item in the game? Or did I just totally block myself from pyro-ing?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Defghanistan posted:

Can I just clear something up? As far as I know you cant have two of the same spell attuned unless you start as pyro and then buy ANOTHER fireball. You cannot attune the same spell twice.

Someone feel free to correct me, but that's from a lot of googling.

If you CAN attune multiple spells, then it's combustion x3 for me.

You are correct. There are at least two combustions, and a greater combustion, in the game. edit: vv yes

Also, has anyone found a Miracles trainer besides that guy who starts by the firelink shrine? I feel like I've been through rather a lot of the game, and still haven't found anyone who'll teach wrath of god or Greater Heal or whatever. I did find that maiden in a white dress down in the Tomb of the Giants, and after I killed her hollow buddies she gave me a regeneration spell, but she won't sell me anything. I figured she'd be the advanced trainer, but I guess not?

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 9, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since nobody answered me last time I asked this: what is the penalty for dying as an invader? Do you lose your souls and humanity like a normal death, or do you just get booted out of the other player's world?

Yeah. You need to be human to start an invasion, and if you're killed, you lose that humanity and some soulbucks.

Leyburn posted:

What is the loving deal with Lautrec? His weapon seems to ignore my shield, but not every time. Only some of the time. And I can never ever get a hit off on him without him hitting first. I've tried all sorts of different weapons and get the same problems every time.

He's really beginning to get on my tits.

That weapon can be found elsewhere in the game. I think it's called a shotel? The way it's curved is designed to go around shields and hit dudes' arms, so a portion of its damage penetrates through your block. He switches between the shotel and a short sword, which you can fully block. You can take advantage of the fact that he is heavily armored and slow-moving to back away from him and poke at him from the edge of his reach with a longer weapon than his short choppy things. Or start swinging before he does.

Also, seriously, has anybody found an advanced miracle trainer besides that guy who starts out near Firelink?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Merauder posted:

Re-asking, lol fast thread: I really want a nice bludgeoning type weapon, can anyone recommend one? And I don't mean giant sword that happens to smash things into bits, but actual mace-like weapons. The only one I think I've found has been the Morningstar early on.

Blacksmith Andrei sells a straight-up Mace, I believe. The Undead Merchant guy in the first part of the burgs sells a 'reinforced club,' which is basically a nail bat, which doesn't look like much but does really impressively high damage for its class, attacks faster than the morningstar, and inflicts bleeding damage so you get a big 3x damage combo bonus if you whack someone three or four times in a row with it.

The reinforced club appears to have lower damage scaling than the vanilla club next to it, but since damage scaling is based on a % of weapon damage, it ends up being better basically always.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 9, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So, the Absolution merchant guy stuck in the "hug me" pose inside that one bell-tower? He sells a miracle called Karmic Retribution for 40k soulbucks. As far as I can tell, it does not actually Do anything. I'm not sure what "automatically counters strong attacks" is supposed to mean, but I got myself hit by some strong attacks while it was up, and nothing happened other than the pain you'd expect.

Also, I killed (late boss spoiler)Gravelord Nito and now I can't find (late bonus NPC merchant spoiler)Patches the Jerk anywhere. I encountered him before that boss, then he presumably wandered off somewhere. I have heard he's supposed to sell me some nice, rare things if he's still alive?

ghostinmyshell posted:

Dragonslayer Spear - Looks awesome as hell but I don't have that stats to wield it correctly. Shoots lighting from what I hear.

I do have the stats to wield it correctly! It's pretty sweet. Ridiculously long reach, pretty decent lightning/physical damage that scale up with stats, unlike every other lightning thing in the game. While 1-handing it, R2 does a stab that fires a lightning bolt, at the cost of like 20 (out of 300) durability. While 2-handing it, R2 has a two-stab combo, the first one is just a heavy thrust, the second one is a poke-then-lift thing that throws lighter enemies around, but it's slow as hell to use. To make it, you need a +10 spear; I just down-graded the piece of poo poo lightning spear that I found in sen's fortress.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

smuh posted:

The lady I saved from the Tomb of the Giants is selling an item called Divine Blessing, which says it'll fully restore hp and 'undo irregularities'. Does that, by any chance, mean status effects? Would be pretty sweet to remove curses by spending only 1000 souls...

This was posted a while ago, but where is that lady? Where do you find her after rescuing her in the Tomb? I want what she's got.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So, I've been trying to find an advanced miracle trainer for my 30+ faith Warrior of Sunlight guy for a while, and I think I have it figured out. Rhea, that lady in a white dress, is the miracle+ trainer. She shows up near Firelink for a bit, then vanishes to go explore the catacombs. You can find her deep in the pitch darkness of the Tomb of the Giants later (unless you rush it) in the game, and save her from a couple hollows. Then she's like, "thanks," and gives you a (virtually useless) regeneration spell. As far as I could tell, she disappears entirely after that. In the Undead Church, near that one belltower, I found a glowy item ball with a pendant and 7(!) humanity; since I'd recently ranked up in the Sunlight faction, and the pendant said something about being the sun god's, I figured it was some oblique covenant reward. Later still, since I was sick of his stupid face and had bought his entire stock, I murdered Petrus of Thorolund on a hunch, and on his body found an ivory talisman which, according to the description, is only given to female clerics. Well, gently caress.

Short version, essential knowledge for anyone who wants better miracles; Kill Petrus of Thorolund as soon as you buy everything you need from him, because he will murder your next miracle trainer off-screen.

Also, Talismans! There are several.
<25 faith: get the Talisman of Thorlund from Petrus. It has a steady 150 spell-power, but does not noticeably scale with your faith.
25-45 faith: Basic talisman! It outpaces the one above and scales pretty well (B) with your faith.
>45 faith: Ivory talisman; Rhea of Thorolund has it. Starts very low, but scales with an A rating, eventually becoming the best. But not for a long time.
Unexpected bonus: Canvas Talisman, bought for a measly 1000 soulbucks from Patches the Hyena, after he relocates to Firelink and starts selling poo poo he looted off of the dead clerics. It has a higher starting power than the basic one, and scales with an A, although a lower A than the ivory one. It is actually the best. The ivory one might outpace it at stupidly high stat values, like in the 70-ish range, but there is no reason to get that much faith.

Also, the miracle 'Force' is really pretty great. It casts extremely fast and you get 21 charges. It's sort of close-ranged, but effects an area around you, and never misses. Basically what it does is knocks people over. Any man-sized target will get knocked on its rear end. It's excellent for throwing most enemies off cliffs, and it works wonderfully in PVP where nobody will be expecting you to pull out such a piece-of-poo poo miracle, and it gives you an opportunity to wind up a two-handed gently caress-slash attack or move behind them for a backstab while they're regaining their feet. The timing is hard to get exactly right, but even if you mess up and they roll out of the way, you can try again, because you've got 20 more shots and your spell goes off faster than whatever they're trying to do. Also works on fuckers using the invisibility ring, since you don't need to lock on.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is it still possible to join the Warrior of Sunlight covenant if Soliare is dead? I was thinking of starting a new game, whacking him ASAP, and stealing his identity. Then doing lots of low level white (golden) phantoming with a tricked out lightning/fire sunlight sword.

Yes, it's possible. It's maybe not the best idea to do it immediately; you rank up in the Sunlight covenant by collecting sunlight medals. You get a medal either by being summoned and killing a boss, or by killing a boss with a sunlight phantom helping you out, meaning, if you take Solaire into a fight with you, and he survives to the end, you get a medal, even if you haven't yet been accepted into the covenant! He's sort of handy like that. You're going to want at least ten, to get Great Lightning Spear. It has just as many charges as the weaker version, but hits almost twice as hard.

If you were wondering, having multiple sunlight warriors together doesn't stack; you never get more than one medal at a time.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 12, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Elysiume posted:

I'm getting too many mixed messages. It seems like he doesn't benefit me, though. Since it isn't clear if there's a downside to not killing him,

Is there any downside at all to killing Petrus after I've bought all of his stuff?

None whatsoever! Unless you plan on converting to the 'way of white' later on, because he won't recruit you after he's dead. Kill him, and kill him quickly.

Kill him.

victrix posted:

I kind of dislike the dark gold and havel armor. Both sets throw out all the previous light/heavy armor, which is very much in contrast to DeS which you could go through in a suit of starting Leather armor if you wanted to.

I guess fully upgraded some of the basic sets might rival them?

I know that at least Elite Knight +10 gives better defense than Havel's thingy, and it's a lot lighter. But nowhere near as much poise; if you're going for poise, Havel's is straight-up the best.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now...where do I find a blacksmith that can do lightning things?

He's in Anor Londo! When you get nearby, as with all blacksmiths, you will hear some hammering. He's not hidden or anything, though, he's just sort of far in there.

Malachite posted:

How does summoning work on NG+?

Do you just have to be of similar level? Both on NG+? Both on the same "lap" of NG+? Or could I just say rush the four kings on NG+ and summon someone of similar level that hasn't finished the game?

I was never quite sure how it worked in Demon's souls either.

In Demon's Souls, NG+/++ status didn't matter at all. If you were in a place on your second lap, you could summon someone on his first or fifth, as long as he was in the same area and within level tolerances. The enemies/bosses would stay as strong as they were in the host's world, which could mean pulling a phantom out of depth. I can only speculate that DS+ works the same way.

Partial Octopus posted:

Anyone have any tips for the four kings? I just can't beat them. I can't even kill the first one.

I went at him with a really nice shield and a decently fast weapon. My strategy went something like this; roll-dodge the first thing he throws at you, and approach as close as you can. Like, rub up against him. Hold your shield up and keep circling to the right around him - if he tries to grab you or do an overhead swing, he'll miss. If he does his horizontal one-two slash, you'll block it pretty easily. If he starts charging up his purple death explosion attack, back off for a couple seconds. After you have avoided or blocked an attack, then you have an opening; either cast a spell, chug a flask if you've been hit, or chop at him 1-2 times depending on your weapon, then regain stamina and get your shield ready. As long as you stay moving in a tight circle around one, the extras that spawn in should miss with most of their attacks. If you get unlucky and catch a stray hit from one of his buddies, get back to the above pattern and suck down some est.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

RotationSurgeon posted:

So what is the recommended SL for the Depths? I was roaming around and then pulled out because I got two black phantom attacks in a row while down there, and the combination of black phantoms plus what I assume are stone spewing chameleons were a problem for me. I ran into the forest, picked up the elite knight's armor, and somehow got a lucky win against Moonlight Butterfly with the witch companion. So right now I'm sitting at the bonfire above the blacksmith and my question is isn't this butterfly's soul used to make a spear? And if so how do I make that happen because my damage output sucks right now. I like using spears and I don't want to switch to the drake sword.

You can use its soul to make either a spear or a small shield. You need to have either a spear or shield at +10, and it needs to be ascended by the blacksmith in Anor Londo; you have quite a long way to go before you get to him though, sorry. For now, you'd be better off upgrading a winged spear or a pike from scratch if you want to get phalanxy.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
In that case, just stick with the spear and maybe upgrade it some more. A spear will never be the most impressive damage dealer, but you can keep your shield up and usually out-reach anyone else for a patient victory.

There's not really a wrong answer to "where should I go next?" No matter which way you go, you will find something neat and probably useful. It sounds like you're able to tackle either the depths or the forest a bit further now. If you wanted to beat the game as quickly as possible, the Depths are the way to go, but if you're not in a hurry, there's no wrong way to go.

Edit: Except the New Londo Ruins. That is a place of sorrow and death.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Zain posted:

I'm having this hard time deciding. Pyromancer's spells aren't effected by the int stat is it? I'm trying to figure out some good casting builds. And I have 4 levels atm to put wherever I like. How many attunement slots should I try to go for?

Correct, pyromancy is powered up by upgrading your flaming fist. Having 5 spell slots at 19 attunement is plenty, and should give you a stock of burning death more than large enough to make it to the next bonfire, unless you miss a lot. Since pyromancy is sorta close-ranged and casts slowly, I have found it good to get a bit of vitality and a lot of endurance, to wear heavy armor and shrug off someone's attack immediately before stuffing their face full of fireball.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
^^ Look for ladders. There are a poo poo-ton of ladders, and there's almost always a torch next to the base and top of a ladder, since they are kinda hard to see. There's also a vertical dead end or two mixed in that rickety shithole, so you might need to go across a bridge then look for other ladders.

The.GreyWolf posted:

The blue eye orb only works in the darkmoon room? What kind of idea is this?

It works all over the place? Any level that a person can go through and be invaded in, anyways. That means most of the world, excluding a few bonfires, dead-ends, and mid-loading zones. It's like the invasion item you're expecting, but it only targets The Guilty.

NESguerilla posted:

It' amazing to me how few people realize you have to heal phantoms. Even at Sens fortress it's like 10% have figured that out.

Have to? If I summon a phantom who keeps stepping in front of hammers, I'm not going to blow one of my precious five flasks to drag him along, I'm going to let him die off and summon someone else who can block, dodge, or brings his own heal spell along. If I'm injured, I'm glad to share flask-glow with my phantoms, or if someone is doing really well and catches an unlucky hit from a boss I'll try to keep him in the fight longer, but as a phantom you are really not very important.

The Wise Teen posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry about that, but if I joined the Forest Covenant, can I go re-join the Way of White and get the soul farming loop back until I re-join the Foresters?

If you leave the Covenant in an inoffensive way, either by converting or by hitting up the 'Hug Me' guy in the bell tower, then you can slaughter woodland creatures all you want, and the cat will be happy to have you back later.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Lotish posted:

Okay, how do I kill the huge horrible parasite thing in blighttown? The one guarding the pyromancy spell? Nothing I hit it with seems to visible damage it.

You're talking about the giant squid thing? Everything damages it. It's just when you're locked on and standing close to it, its health bar is 'displayed' above your screen. If you unlock and look up, you'll see damage ticking down. Just keep wailing at it with spells or arrows or whatever.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I have found an excellent place to stock up on soulbucks. You need to have cleared Anor Londo, and either be able to cast 'homeward' or have a bunch of homeward bones stocked up. First, kill Gwyndolin. Then the lights go out and most of the enemies in the stage vanish, except for two. From the princess's bonfire, go down the O&S elevators and outside their chamber, and you will see two humans with swords and shields. They are dumb and straightforward; kill them with your method of choice for ten thousand soulbucks. That's 5000 apiece. They don't seem to respawn unless you actually re-load the area (just resting at a bonfire doesn't cut it) so use your Homeward thing and repeat. If you blow a homeward bone (value: 800 souls) you are still making a huge profit, and it's quick as hell to run down there and skewer them again.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wait, you can slot the same spell multiple times for more castings? I thought each slot had to be different! Why did I not know this sooner? :psyduck:

Only if you've bought/found the same spell multiple times. There are multiple merchants for pyromancy and sorcery, and they will sell duplicate spells. Buy it twice, you can attune it twice.

Palleon posted:

The multiplayer so far is kind of disappointing. I just spent 25 minutes trying to white phantom for the Gaping Dragon fight, and not a single summon. I'm sure more people are playing this than Demon's Souls, which never seemed to be short of people willing to summon you, so why is it such a problem with this game?

I've had a lot more success getting summoned by laying my sign down right by a bonfire.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So, it's possible to render your game literally unwinnable! I have done it. It requires being dumb.

I beat the final boss (who was an excellent fight, by the way. No surprises, no twists, no gimmick, it's just exactly who you'd expect, trying really hard to kill you.) and start a NG+. So I'm going through the world again, everything's a lot harder and the simplest enemies are now credible threats. It's challenging again, cool! I make it through the forest area, boggle at a moment for how many soulbucks the invisible forest guys are dropping, and then kill sif the sword wolf. I immediately get his soul, and the ring of the abysswalker.

Now my list of rings is pretty darn big at this point - I've sorted everything by category and by how often I use them, and the rare terrain/resistance-specific rings are somewhere in the middle where I don't need to look at them very often. So I assume my abyss ring is still in there, and when this duplicate shows up at the top, I figure, I don't need two of these, I'll just drop it and go on with my game. :downs:

Several hours later, after getting killed by a bunch of darkwraiths, I get to the hole in the world in New Londo, and find that I do not actually have an abyss ring, and that I have no choice but to fall to my death. I guess the first one disappeared when the NG went +? It's not where I dropped it, and as far as I know, there's no way to get a duplicate. And also, as far as I know, you need to kill the four kings to win. Well... poo poo. I suppose I'll take this opportunity to make a new character whose stats aren't a scattered mess all over the board.

The ring that lets you walk on lava is missing, too, if anyone particularly cares.

Short version; when you start NG+, several key items, including rings, disappear from your inventory.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 17, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
That's not a boss.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

RedTonic posted:

So, what's the verdict on trading items in Dark Souls? Is it possible or impossible? I picked up a moss dropped by a summoner once, so is it only one way?

As a phantom, I once dropped a piece of moss for another phantom. It was kind of hard to get him to notice it, I had to keep gesturing and pointing down at it, and even then he barely ate it in time. So it seems totally possible between happy phantoms and meat-forms.

Actually... if someone wants to help me un-break my game by giving me an abyss-walking ring they're already done with, that'd be pretty cool. I'd be your friend and trade you titanite or whatever else you might find handy. Send any helpful messages to 'Wayward-' on PSN, I'm at sl90, and will probably be on there again tuesday evening.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Don't know what the point of giving that guy 900 souls to tell me about kindling was, then...

I summoned that half-naked NPC phantom and she kept her distracted for pretty much the entire fight while I two-handed my spear up her egg sac. What's that NPC's deal, anyway? I figured it was a player until they started behaving all AI-like, except I haven't encountered anyone like that in the game.

Before the spiderboss dies, if you're wandering around the swampy bit in flesh form, she'll invade your world. If you beat her, you get a load of soulbucks, humanity, and her cleaver.

sentrygun posted:

Do divine weapons even do any bonus damage against skeletons? I made my winged spear I had laying around divine because I needed something to complement my lightning spear, but I feel like I was only doing base damage to them.

If it does bonus damage, it doesn't do very much. The neat thing about divine weapons - or any of the unique weapons with the white-circle looking 'holy' stat - is that skeletons knocked down by them don't reanimate. Skeletons also have really good defense vs. slashing, piercing, fire, and lightning effects, but comparatively lovely vs. blunt, so a spear is not the best thing to use against them.

Also, the 'unholy' black-circle looking effect on occult weapons and a couple of uniques - does it do anything at all to anyone?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

reallyprettymad posted:

It might be easier to bait a fog ring invader w/ the charge-up-an-R2-attack-while-facing-the-opposite-direction method, as they might more readily assume youre legitimately swinging in the wrong direction, and not about to turn at the last second. Tho it would ultimately be drat hard to turn int he right direction, especially if it's a downward 2h sword slash.

That's a great way to get backstabbed and killed instantly.

Kill Your Friends posted:

I really want to like, summon help or something because two of these assholes is just not even funny, but I don't really know how to do that either. Do I have to be in human form? How does that even work?

Yup. Just be in human form - you'll see a glowy white symbol on the ground wherever someone has thought to drop one. Solaire the NPC will also lay down his own golden-looking summon sign outside most boss doors, if you're offline or particularly unlucky.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Kill Your Friends posted:

Oh really? That's cool. Erm, futher DS retard question, is there any reliable way of getting humanity? I think I ate a couple of them when I was a complete beginner at the game and then died and lost my humanity, I'm in undead parish obviously. I found, consumed and then lost the humanity you find in the upstairs of the undead church btw.

I am an idiot.

If you drop your white soapstone sign (if you haven't gotten a white soapstone yet, Solaire before the fire bridge will give it to you for talking to him several times) and successfully help someone beat their area, you will gain a humanity. Some enemies (the giant rats, strangely enough, are the easiest) also have a low chance of dropping an edible humanity item if you kill a lot of them.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
There's not a trick to the fight! There's no easy way out. There's no gimmick. It's all completely straightforward. He just really wants to kill you, and is very good at doing it.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Shumagorath posted:

Got Toxin Mist. Now to relentlessly throw myself at much better PvP builds until I can take 2-4 more idiots out with nerve gas and get out of this stupid covenant. After that I can help people run Mildred / Quelaag until I've bought all the good pyromancies, and from there I can just leave when it's time to join the Darkwraiths.

Choas Servants actually lets you leave without repercussion, right? I'll already be breaking the forest covenant as it is.

Everyone lets you just leave without repercussions. You only get Terrible Consequences if you do something particularly nasty to betray them before leaving quietly.

Elysiume posted:

What if I want his tail?

edit: Don't homeward bones only stack to 8 or something? Why? I want 999 so I can always escape.

Nope! You can get 99 of them. The lady-undead merchant sells 'em for 800, I stocked up early and haven't regretted it.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Something on both wikis must be off, because apparently the Cursed Artorias sword only does physical damage, but scales with all attributes? Can anyone who's actually gotten one or both artoriaswords report on their relative merits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Dawnfire posted:

It's not chaos whip that does it, it's having a quelanna pyromancer flame. She's also only going to show up if you have a pyromancy flame of +10 or higher, at which point she's at the giant stone pillar to the left as you enter Blighttown from quelaag's domain.

That can't be right. Quelanna showed up when I had a +2 pyromancy flame, and Laurentius asked for directions not too long after, no further upgrades required. I'm not sure what does trigger it, but it's easier than that.

Edit: vv oh yeah, you're probably right! I joined the chaos covenant (with no intention of committing) to get their chaos fireball.

Spike McMayhem posted:

Am I going to ruin my game somehow if I start shooting arrows at Princess 'Try Holding with Both Hands'? I heard the soul farming is better somehow afterwards, but I don't want to bother if it turns out those titties were the only thing holding back a swarm of Toxin-tipped harpoon archers or some poo poo.

Nope! Doesn't ruin your game at all. It just changes some things in the immediate area, and gets you barred from the darkmoon/princess covenants.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 19, 2011

• Locked thread