Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

My local Gamestop is doing a midnight release, more for Rage and whatever sport game is being released, but it still means I can pick up Dark Souls at midnight. I'm gonna be a total nerd and take the day off work and enjoy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

enojy posted:

HOWEVER! My local Gamestop is doing a midnight release of Dark Souls on Monday night. For those 4 or 5 of you lolgoons who can afford to stay up until midnight and beyond on Monday, it'd be worth your time to find out if your local Gamestop is doing the same.

With Rage and NBA 2k12 (why not just call it 2012?) releasing on the same day, seems like some stores are holding a catch-all midnight release Tuesday.

My local store had a surprising amount of signage for Dark Souls. Here's hoping for the game's success.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Oops, Awful app mishap

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Does heavy armor seem decently effective? I'm not even sure I want a heavily-plated character, but it'd be nice to have the option.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Wizard Whateley posted:

Here's the amazon review page of their 400+ page Bayonetta guide to give you an idea of the detail they go into in their guides. http://www.amazon.com/Bayonetta-Off...s/dp/3869930039

That's going for $350 new now, drat.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Dominic White posted:

And you can see a shiny piece of loot just beyond that almost-certain deathtrap. And it's just daring you to go for it. You know it's a bad idea, but... shiny.. twinkly!

And you die. And you learn from that stupid mistake and do better next time.

Most Demon's Souls deaths are caused by impatience and carelessness. That's why the stages that really got in your head and creeped you out (Latria, Defilement) were so effective.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

I just summoned a pair of white phantoms to help me beat the second boss, the bell gargoyles. Currently a level 13 cleric having mostly boosted Endurance and Vitality so far.

One of the white phantoms had a spear that absolutely murdered all the preboss monsters and took out the boss in 2 or 3 hits. I'm not sure if I'm crazy underleveled, he was crazy overgeared, or if there's already some kind of item exploit out in the wild.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

There aren't enough people summoning white phantoms.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Skunk Ape posted:

Is there a warning or notification when you're invaded? I was exploring the Asylum again (2nd trip) and while fighting a black knight I was randomly assaulted by what looked and acted like another player, though I saw nothing pop up or any names or anything. I managed to escape the knight and lure the mystery dude back out to an open area and kill him, but it was pretty out of nowhere and confusing. He didn't heal himself at all so I'm wondering if it was an enemy made to seem like an invader.

There is a method to invade without warning the invaded player, according to the guide. I think it's a benefit of one of the Covenants.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Alectai posted:

Summon signs can only be put down by boss doors I think.

Not sure how to do an invasion though, the option has always been crossed out for me

White summon signs can be put down near boss doors and also near the beginning of an area.

Invasions, bizarrely, seem to require the invader being human in order to invade. You can get a handful of the cracked invasion stones near Firelink, and while I haven't used one, the option to use them has only been available to me when I wasn't Hollowed. No clue if the various Covenant invasion stones work the same way or not.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Filthy Monkey posted:

I decided to make the run to the undead dragon to pick up the faith scaling sword and the shield. You get some nice leathers on the way too. My goal was to make a faith type fighter, so it sounded like a good choice.

Astora's straight sword doesn't seem to be matching up to the drake sword though. It says it does 80 physical and 80 magic, compared to 200 for the drake sword. I would be happy if I were hitting for 160, as I like the animations for straight swords better, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I just tested it on one of those sword and shield knights around the chapel. Astora's sword does 41 per hit, compared to 103 for the drake sword.

It it just that I don't have pumped enough stats, or is there something else I am missing?

Is your Faith at 14+ as the sword requires?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vanguard Warden posted:

To the guy that killed the dragon with arrows, where did you shoot him? Because I've been landing 18 damage arrows into his tail-stump for ages and I swear his health isn't moving.

He heals when he's on top of the Church, apparently. His health as listed in the guide is much, much lower than what people in here were estimating, so I'm guessing he may be regenerating while he's perched.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

So, killed the Gargoyles and now I'm lost. I seem too weak to go anywhere! PLEASE HALP.

There's a key you should have received in your travels. There's a locked door on the Taurus Demon's end of the Dragon Bridge that leads to a new section of the 'Berg.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

GreatGreen posted:

Is there any way to replenish your health and mana pools mid-field, away from campfires, not using estus flasks or whatever they're called? Are there any mechanisms in the game that allow some form of auto-regen of your resource pools like the Fragrant Ring or Regenerator's Ring in Demon's Souls?

There's a ring found, I think, in the Depths, that restores a small amount of health whenever an enemy is killed. Humanity items also are full heals in addition to adding Humanity.

I doubt there's a similar arrangement for spells, since there's no mana anymore.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vanguard Warden posted:

I never even used the drake sword when I got it. It has the same strength requirement as a claymore and they're found in the same general area. By the time I met the strength requirement my claymore was +5, did enough damage to be worth using and had a hell of a lot more reach.

If I may ask, how did you get a Claymore to +5 so fast? I'm a few areas past the Berg now and I think I have a grand total of one Titanite Shard.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Nigulus Rex posted:

I really want to get the bonfire behind the dragon on the bridge (and open that gate) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do so. If I sprint down and stick in the left corner, he jumps down eventually and walks up to/by me but if I move he just fire blazes the whole bridge multiple times. Any tips?

I did it by standing in one of those safe alcoves, pinging him with an arrow, then hauling rear end while he flew down to attack me.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

The Moon Monster posted:

Nope, sometimes you get it added straight to your total from kills. Look at the "mist" that comes out of enemies when they die. If it's black instead of white you'll get humanity. So far the rats are the only non-special enemies I've found that drop the humanity item. Which is kind of odd now that I think about it.

Mankind was the true vermin all along.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Multiplayer is +/-10 soul levels, so a 16 and a 20 should be able to summon each other.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

reallyprettymad posted:

Does attunement affect how many spell casts per rest you get? Or is it just how many spell slots? Basically Im wondering how I can get more than 8 fireball casts as a pyro.

Assuming Pyromancy works like Miracles, if you have extra copies of a spell you can put those in extra attunement slots. If you bought a second Fireball spell, you could slot that in your second attunement spot.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

This has probably been asked but there's a lot of posts in the thread...

Is there any renewable source for Humanity, either the item or the counter, aside from rat genocide? The female undead merchant only sells one, I'm not getting summoned to assist, I can't invade because I'm hollowed (what a bad decision that was), and I'm out of Humanity consumables.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

I just got screwed over in true Demon's Dark Souls fashion.

Exploring a new area that's just unlocked for me {Anor Londo), my White Soapstone's greyed out, so I figure I'm in a safe, no-multiplayer area. Why not, it's not the first area I've encountered like this.

Come to a hallway with an obvious not-a-boss-really at the end of it. I pull it to the chamber I'm in, fight it a bit, it runs away. I step into the hallway to pull it back... and my back is immediately blocked by grey fog. I've been in multiplayer space for all of a half second and I'm being invaded. Some summoning signs have appeared too, so I try and grab a couple, but get Summon Failed both times. The black phantom in an onion hat rolls up to me, snaps his fingers and causes me to explode as I'm trying to finish off the not-a-boss.

True Dark Souls starts here blah blah

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world, duh but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

That world, incidentally, is the best Dark Souls has offered so far. Tons of secrets, intriguing boss, and crazy easy to find phantoms or humans to summon phantoms. Net gain of about 10 humanity, 15 levels, 10 sun badgges and a lot of Souls fun.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Reposting a question from earlier:

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

The Moon Monster posted:

I vaguely remember this, but in one of the buildings you can get up in the rafters. Do the jump roll thing to get to the other side of the rafters and you should find a path leading to it.

Is this the building where you're ambushed by 4-5 bloated pyromancy zombies falling down from the rafters? I've made it to both sides of the rafters and picked up all the items I saw, but no Painted set. I think that's the building it's supposed to be in, but is it hidden from view or something?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Quinch posted:

It has awful, awful stats however.

Man sometimes you just wanna look cool. Thanks for the tips tho, can't wait to go hunting for it again.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Should I buy that catarina armor set or should I just keep on chugging along with my elite knight set?

Elite Knight set was the heaviest armor I saw in the guide that didn't have a Stamina penalty associated with it. I'm pretty sure that's a misprint and the armor does carry a penalty, but I haven't bothered actually testing it. Catarina has "minor reduction to Stamina regeneration" listed on a couple of its pieces.

That said, I'm carrying around enough souls to buy the Catarina armor as soon as I can make it back to that merchant, just because of how ridiculous it looks.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Bobnumerotres posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

There are some obvious similarities and/or callbacks (Hollows = Dreglings, Asylum Demon is a reimagined Vanguard, Blightown grunts have the same crazy push-you attacks the Valley of Defilement grunts loved).

One callback I don't think is in the game that I would have liked is a new Old Monk fight. Especially since they have NPC Black/White phantoms now.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

- The "Onion" knight at the closed gate in the Undead Parish; is there a way to get his armor? I love how it looks.
Yup, there's a merchant inside that area behind the closed gate who sells it. It's called the Catarina armor. It may be a little bit before you unlock it, though.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

- What's this all about "Hollow"-ing? What does it mean? What is Humanity, and why is it important? Is it the number in the left corner of the HUD?

Hollowing is basically your "dead" state. You can't summon phantoms or be invaded while Hollow, you can't Kindle bonfires, and some NPCs are dicks to you. Humanity (the number by your health bar) can be spent to undo your Hollow state, which lets you Kindle bonfires (+5 Flasks from that bonfire, permanently, but costs 1 Humanity) and lets you summon Phantoms. Since you're offline, this will mainly be specific NPC phantoms on specific boss fights. If you were online, you could summon other players to assist and you could also be invaded by black phantom players. Also, having your Humanity count above 0 will increase your item discovery rate.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

- I am playing offline, is that a bad idea? I hear you get good bonuses for playing online, but then I have to reactivate my Xbox Live account to Gold. Not sure if I can justify using it enough for the cost..

Thanks!

You're missing out on notes other players are leaving in the field and multiplayer. So far, multiplayer hasn't been as lively as Demon's (I'm playing on PS3) and the lack of easy Humanity is a huge drawback but when it works, it's great. You're missing out but I don't know that I'd get a Gold account just for that.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Brightman posted:

If there is some short-cut either through the depths or into Blighttown I may try messing with that again.

If you have the Master Key and can take on a couple of the club-wielding brutes, there's a shortcut into Blighttown underneath Firelink's bonfire. Ride the elevator down, and nearby is a locked door you can Master Key open.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

WebDO posted:

I love From, I love the Souls games, and I am amazed every time I play either at the little details. While doing some summon assists on the depths boss, I noticed that the curse frog victims are actually the remains of other players.

Nothing like being able to find, and then break your own corpse.

This is amazing.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Kneel Before Zog posted:

The spear + shield zombies (like those around the boar) are hard as hell for me. It seems hardly possible to run around them, and as a weak sorcerer I can't get them to drop their shields. Besides soul arrowing everything to death any advice on how to backstab these fuckers?

Kick, then follow-up immediately with an attack.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Drox posted:

I went back to Firelink and walked through that flooded shrine ruin. There was very loud snoring. I looked around but couldn't find what was making that noise. What happened?

Plot stuff. You'll meet the snoring dude later.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Zebrasectomy posted:

Good to hear about the boss soul drops!

By the way, am I ever going to be able to sell gear and if so, how far away am I from it ( Just beat the Moonlit Butterfly. )? I've picked up every single item since I've started and haven't dropped a single thing and now my inventory is a mess of moss and broken swords.

After Blightown. Don't get too excited, though, since most stuff goes for a pittance. You also have the option of buying a Bottomless Box from an early merchant and throwing your junk in there.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

RBA Starblade posted:

How are you supposed to fight the hydra? It snipes you if you come at it then at close range its shots home in and one shot you.

A decent shield + Endurance should be able to withstand its crazy head attacks. Bait that out, attack the necks while they're stuck. When he pulls back for his cannon attack, move forward so it lands behind you.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Scrooged posted:

Can anyone elaborate a bit on this? Where is this merchant at?

Firelink. You literally cannot miss him, as he's rather plot relevant.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Nigulus Rex posted:

How do I get out of the painted world? I killed the undead dragon, and my guide just says go to the bottom and through to Priscilla...except that that door is locked with a contraption, and I can't find the contraption.

There's a basement underneath the courtyard which has a switch you can turn to open the door. There are a couple different ways to get down: there's a ladder in one of the buildings on the left as you enter the courtyard, and there's a well with a ladder you can climb down.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Hell Diver posted:

Let me ask again before I leave the area: Does anyone know where the shotel is in Sen's Fortress? I feel like I've explored everything.

I may be wrong, but I think the Shotel is near the first rolling boulder hallway. Climb to the top near the doorway where the snake mage stands, look off the cliff to your right, you should see an item you can drop down to. There's also a NPC down there if you haven't completed the dungeon yet.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Cleric is pretty great for a new player, as the Mace hits surprisingly hard and having five extra Heals out of the gate can take a lot of headache out of learning the ropes.

Knight and Thief get docked points for their starting equipment, maybe? Don't know what's up with Sorcerer.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Metrohunter posted:

Has anybody had particular luck in being summoned for certain areas? For reference, I'm SL 53 and just beat the boss in Anor Londo.

Co-op multiplayer was non-stop last night around that level range in the Painted World. Dropping at the bonfire was naturally the quickest way to get summoned, but I was getting picked up even when I'd dropped my sign in whatever random place I happened to be standing after my previous summon was finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

sighnoceros posted:

Well poo poo, I saw those but gently caress me if I'm climbing inside a random cage. I didn't ride any of the ones there down, when I go back in do you think they be available to go up or do I have to ride one down first?

You have to ride it down. Once you've done that, though, they're always available (one will always be up and the other down, so you can go in either direction).

• Locked thread
«5 »