Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I am worried I completely screwed over my build after making a few false assumptions.

I started Cleric and planned to make a Faith build using Divine Weapons, cause hey I liked doing Blessed in Demon's. I got my Endurance to 40 and Faith to just under 30 (I stopped putting points into it when I got the Lightning Spear and it ridiculously outclassed my Divine Halberd/Claymore weapons). With the other random points I've thrown into Vit/Str/Att I'm at level 71 and stuck at Ornstein & Smough, and judging from posts in this thread that's somehow too high level, yet they're still giving me trouble. I can shield tank like a boss with my Endurance and a Baldur Shield/Eagle Shield, but I can't put out anywhere near the damage other players seem to do. I made Quelaag's Furysword for Fire Damage, but since my Dex is just high enough to use it I'm not getting any real scaling bonus from it.

What can I do to turn this around? I don't think I have access to Fire weapons yet. I could two-hand a Zweihander if I upgraded it to Divine/Lightning, and while I'd prefer Divine to make use of all the Faith I've pumped into, it seems Lightning is better? What other weapon options would make sense for a character with low Dex and middling (20) Strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vatek posted:

Go human and summon help, S&O are a total bitch to fight solo. Smough is weak to lightning, but the fight is a hell of a lot easier if you kill Ornstein first.

Phantoms seem to invariably go for killing Smough first, then I get speared by Ornstein's OHKO because I'm bad at video games. My Lightning Spear is at +4 but it doesn't seem terribly effective against the duo.

Edit - I also have no clue how I got to a "high" level when the only time I've grinded souls was to get shard-buying money. I did get like 10-15 levels from multiplayer play in Painted World, maybe that tipped me over.

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 11, 2011

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

OmegaZultan posted:

so for a Scimitar, any skeleton will do, yes? Or do I have to get at those huge fuckers who actually give you souls?

You can just buy one for 600 off the Undead Merchant in the Burg who sells arrows.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vatek posted:

Wait, what Black Phantom NPCs? The only one I ever saw that wasn't a player was in the Depths and I'm pretty sure it was scripted.

There are several that will pop up at specific spots if you're unhollowed. I've encountered one in the Depths, Blightown, and Ariamis.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Rascyc posted:

I feel like this game is way longer than Demon Souls, the scope is also much bigger/better. I'm so glad they ditched the Nexus too, even if it makes part of the game artificially longer as you're running around everywhere.

I kinda miss the Nexus. Maiden in Black was my homeboy.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can eat her soul if you want.

...or well, in the Japanese, the firekeeper's souls are called the same word used to describe the maiden in black. They are both 火防女. No one in Dark Souls is called that in Japanese.

The translation of this game is weird across the board. It almost feels like it was written in English first and then Japanese haphazardly attached to it afterwards.

Wasn't she referred to as the "Candle Maiden" in the Japanese translation (maybe that's what you wrote)? That honestly doesn't seem like too far a stretch from Fire Keeper contextually.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

I'm stuck in painting world....so hosed.

Painted World is awesome.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anor Londo's boss is kicking my rear end so hard, even with my buddy that knight guy. Its the room before it that really screws me over.

Something I learned from a few runs of phantoming/having phantoms with me:

Head up the stairs and around past the blacksmith door first to take out the knight with the bow and arrow so he's not sniping you. Once he's down, see if you can plummet attack onto the giant right below you - if you and your phantom buddies all do it, he's probably dead, and you just have one giant left to deal with.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Kaboobi posted:

Oh god how do I escape this painting level there are wheel skeletons and harpies and dragons and so many things that can instantly kill me

You have to get past the boss.

Note, you don't actually have to fight or beat the boss. Just get past it. It gives you the chance to just leave out a passage in the back of the boss room if you want to skip the fight.

To get to the boss room you're either going to have to flip a switch down in the basement with the skeleton wheels, or kill an undead dragon.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Zebrasectomy posted:

So I just talked to the guy who enters you into the Way of Light covenant in firelink, and he asked me to Show my dedication for 2600 souls. All he did after I paid was tell me that he's on a kindling pilgrimage or something. Does this have any other effect down the road or did I just waste a bunch of souls?

According to the guide, it has no effect.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is there any way to leave Anor Londo? I mean the fire is kindled an all but I am stuck here till I beat that boss right?

My weapon kinda sucks, I don't have nearly enough demon titanite to upgrade it till it's properly useful so I kinda have to wittle away at the dudes till they die. If I could kill them in 5 or 6 hits I think I'd be fine, heh.

You can return from the place you entered. Go to the entrance and you should see an NPC and a Talk prompt.

Don't attack the NPC, I have no clue what happens if you do that. It's not a bad guy.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vastakaiun posted:

Okay, so I've rang the two bells and the fact that the firekeeper's dead's bumming me out. Would it be a good idea to head down to New Londo now to get her back, or is that something out of my league for now?

It's a different Londo where you need to go.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

invalid posted:

Already starting to pump my faith up because I like the fluff and spells, plus I can't wait to see what kind of beastie weapon I can upgrade - which still eludes me a little: do you have to get each weapon you want to take in a certain directio, faith in my case, to +5 basic first?

Yes. The armorer will sell infinite Shards, so at least you don't have to farm them all. There's a vendor you'll unlock later on who will sell Green Shards (needed for Faith stuff) but they're a tad more expensive.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Phoix posted:

I wouldn't advise doing this because it's borderline cheating in how good it is, but if you still have the Moonlight Butterfly soul you can upgrade a shield to +10 and then turn it into a shield that shoot lasers at the Anor Londo blacksmith. It does damage based on your right hand weapon, which at that point in the game will probably be around ~300-400 damage. By the end I was doing ~1300 with it and it just broke the game.

Just to be perfectly clear here, the blacksmith makes the shield that shoots lasers. You do not want to shoot the lasers at the blacksmith.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Palleon posted:

Assuming that I don't have any ranks in any covenant yet, is there any penalty to me for joining each one to get all their cool new members gift packages, and then going back and staying with the one I want to stick with, or does constantly running around joining them all count as a betrayal?

Not that I can tell. I've hopped Covenants a few times and rejoined old ones (even the apparently finicky Cat Covenant) without any trouble. You do lose levels, but I hadn't bothered with getting any past level 1 yet.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

evilalien posted:

I think that is free for anybody to use, but it is not for invading but rather dueling. The other party has to willingly accept your sign. I doubt you would get many bites with it.

The Demon's Souls equivalent was used a ton on 4-1. Both when I played through the game initially and when I did my pre-Dark Souls runthroughs, duel signs were at least as common as summon signs at the archstone. People use it for PVP practice or fun.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Wait wait wait. The Moonlight Sword is based on Magic instead of Faith now?

My character build is useless now. I wanted to use that sword!

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Question about the (shield crafted from boss soul) Crystal Ring Shield.

The damage from its special attack is supposed to be based on the damage caused by your right-hand weapon, right? What if you're using a weapon you don't have enough strength to one-hand properly? Is the shield attack based on the full damage or the damage after the horrible not-enough-Strength penalty?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Having some trouble with a regular enemy. Anyone have strategy for killing pinwheel skeletons in the painting? There seem to be a lot of them in the sewers, and I end up getting mobbed and/or my positioning gets screwed up.
Keep shield up, poke with spear?

This is one of those enemies that is causing a lot of people trouble and I'm not sure why. Their attack doesn't seem to cause a lot of stamina loss on block, and once they stop they're stationary for a long time so you can pick them off.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Sostratos posted:

Has anyone figured out the math behind the different levels of stat scaling? I'm going for a STR build, and I can't quite tell what my best option for end game weapon will be.

I'm not an expert but if you're going to dump heavily into STR, keeping to the normal +15 upgrade path seems to be the way to go. Upgrades like Raw decrease scaling, and by keeping it basic you can still use weapon enchant spells or items.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Toiwat posted:

Now please tell me there's a bonfire somewhere close - I'm just at the bottom, at the beginning of the swamp area.

There is one down there.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Orzo posted:

So, I just ran into the gold hemmed set, is there something about it that I'm missing? It blows my old elite armor out of the water, it's only slightly worse against physical attacks but so much lighter and better against magic.

Little/no Curse resist, no Poise if you're into that, not upgradeable.

Curses aside it's got pretty great resists and makes for a decent standard armor if you want light stuff.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I used a Red Eye Orb twice in Blightown on my way to a vendor there without any expectation of actually invading anyone. After all, I'm SL 72 now, I can't imagine anyone's there in my level range running around as human to be invaded.

Surprisingly, two people were.

One panicked and disconnected as soon as I loaded in. The second I caught in the swamp making his way towards the bonfire there (he had to be on NG+, he was in Silver Knight armor). I got most of his health down in a sneak attack, backed out of his range to try and regen some stamina and un-poison myself, only to have a bloatfly surprise him and get the last hit in. 200k Souls and the embarrassing death he suffered was worth the indictment.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Irsh posted:

Has anybody used the Cat Covenant Ring?

I just got it last night and played for only about 15 minutes afterwards and never got summoned. Anybody know what the frequency of being summoned is? Also, does the ring only work if I'm in the forest or am I free to wander the world?

It works anywhere.

I was only with the cats briefly last week, and it seemed to go off frequently. Unfortunately, as my low-level nobody character was usually being summoned into worlds with decked out characters that were massively outgeared to what I had available. I just assumed the cat summons didn't bother checking level restrictions on invaders as tightly, and that a lot of the people I was invading were there specifically to kill invaders.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

GaistHeidegger posted:

If I'm trying to locate all of the covenants in one playthrough, I have a question for the Darkwraiths: If I have already attained the lordvessel but have not talked to Framp at all--so it's still in my possession--and now proceed to defeat the four kings early, do I -have- to place the lordvessel where Framp's evil twin wants it -before- he offers for me to join the covenant (i.e. far enough to pop a trophy/achievement) or must I place it to even be given the option? I don't even want to join, I just want to get the trophy.

In my experience, yes. Until you place the Lordvessel, all he'll do is repeatedly tell you to place the Lordvessel come on he doesn't have all day. I don't think it's possible to even get the Darkwraith trophy without "siding" with Kaathe first.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Heavy neutrino posted:

3) I haven't killed him to check, but I think the guy on top of the church in New Londo is one.

I'm pretty sure the third isn't him, but the Chaos spider lady who lets you into the Servant of Chaos covenant.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Amdis posted:

I can't be the only one disappointed by how low the damage on elemental weapons seems to be. I got the lightning spear from sen's, do mobs just all have really high elemental resistances? Also gently caress this part in Anor Londo with the two archers, I knew I should've bought fireball or something. I don't think I can get back to Firelink without finishing this place can I? :(

You can leave Anor anytime, just go back to where you entered and talk to the gargoyle NPC.

What is causing people such trouble with those archers? Shields block their arrows, they can't hit you if you're running up the buttress, and the only one you have to kill practically suicides himself when you get into melee range.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Cicadas! posted:

Where's Shiva? I've ranked up in the forest hunter covenant a bit and Alvina told me about him, and not to trust him or his buddy, but I don't see him anywhere around the forest. Come to think of it, the other guy that was out there before isn't there anymore either. And do you really have to break the covenant and kill his pal to get the acrobatics ring? Because I kind of want it, but don't know if I want the consequences.

In related news, do you lose all progress in a given covenant if you move to a different one, even if you come back to it later? Because I know that the dragon head stone's firepower supposedly gets boosted based on your rank in the covenant and it would kind of suck to blow all the scales to get the body stone and then not retain your super-fire.

1) They're in Blightown, on ground level near the ramp to the water wheel.

2) I can't say for certain as I haven't messed around with leveling Covenants too much, but I've heard that leaving a Covenant either reduces your effective turnins to half (e.g. you'd turned in 10 [items] then leave, rejoin and they treat you as if you'd turned in 5 [items]) or it reduces your Covenant level by one.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Chachi posted:

So, just to make sure I'm understanding you both, I don't actually need the ring to get my pyromancy flame upgraded from down there? The wiki says you need the ring to be able to do this. If I have to wander into the area to get a maggot, will I be able to hold my own? I'm SL 15 currently.

She's not even the one who upgrades the Flame, it's the egg-infected merchant dude in the room with her, IIRC.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shalinor posted:

Do the Ent tree things in the forest ever start taking actual weapon damage?

I'm a pyromancer, so not even the slightest poo poo is given - froom, POOF, screeeaaam, crumple - but when I'm in an area and the drakesword does no useful damage, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't be there yet.

Slash damage doesn't phase them but thrusts work really well. The Drake sword can't do any thrusts which means it'll have some trouble against those guys. Grab something that can do thrusts (Claymores, Halberd, even a Spear) and you may have an easier time. Clearing the trees was much easier for me using a barely-upgraded Claymore than the Drake Sword.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: VV In that case, should I be upgrading my spear to +10? Or should I just be waiting for a lightning spear? Not that I have the necessary titanite chunks to do the +5 to +10 (I have 1, yaaay), but eh, maybe I can find them somewhere.

I wouldn't really bother dumping more souls/materials into the Spear+5 since you can easily get the Lightning one in the not-too-distant future and it will (sadly) outclass anything you're able to upgrade to at the moment.

In the same dungeon you get the Lightning Spear you can find a merchant off the beaten path who sells Large Titanite (needed for +6-+10 standard upgrades, as well as armor past +4 or so) and Green Titanite Shards (needed for Divine or Fire and I think Magic to +5). Titanite Chunks are used to upgrade Lightning weapons and as near as I can tell they have to be farmed.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Calaveron posted:

The tunic is a different color too, no?

So I gave the Divine Ember to the Blacksmith near the Parish, and found another Ember in the Depths. He also asks that I give it to him. Should I?

Embers can only be given to the Blacksmith that can use them. So if they ask for it, yes, give it to them.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Rascyc posted:

Hm, are the pyromancer trainers the ones who ascend fire weapons to +6?

Pyro trainers only upgrade Pyro hands.

Fire is the Catacombs Blacksmith, but you'll need a special ember before he can go past +5.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Does the uncracked Red Eye Orb from the Darkwraiths function for people who have left that covenant, or do you need to stay in the Darkwraiths in order to invade using it?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Ryven posted:

So I may have run into a problem.

Does the ninth bug that drop the sunlight maggot respawn if I already may or may not have killed them. Ahhh, who am I kidding I already know the answer to this.

I'm pretty sure the ninth bug always drops the Sunlight Maggot and doesn't respawn when killed, leaving only the eight basic maggots. If you killed it and didn't pick up the Sunlight Maggot, you're probably boned.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Drox posted:

Best griefing video ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhDGymDz8sQ

It's a bit slow, but basically an invader baits his target into aggroing and killing the anor londo blacksmith. :allears:

Why would you even fight there instead of running to safer ground where you're not going to accidentally murder the NPC?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Toiwat posted:

Does invading someone break the Warriors of Sunlight covenant?

Nope.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Bland posted:

You may have run into the same kind of hacker I've seen before. Spams force and never seems to run out of charges and has a seemingly infinite health bar.

I ran into one guy who I coaxed into wasting three charges of Wrath of God, only to get caught off guard by his fourth and fifth casts.

I guess he could have been well into NG+ already, but this was ~20SL, I can't say I was expecting it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Kill Your Friends posted:

Cool, but don't I myself have to be in human form to be summoned? The humanity system is pissing me off a bit, it seems like dying prevents me from summoning the help that would prevent me from dying again, if you see what I mean.

YOu have to be in Human form to invade. Being summoned to help works in either Hollow or Human form, and is a great way to get extra Humanity/Souls if you're in a good SL range for your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

MadJackMcJack posted:

Wait, you can't invade someone if they've beaten the boss!? Jesus, as if it's not hard enough to find someone, now you have to hope it isn't someone just passing through!

This is how it was in Demon's Souls, too, and it's a restriction that's even more necessary in Dark. Basically, if this weren't the case, invaders could easily make a player unable to progress out of whatever area they're in.

• Locked thread