Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I clicked on the codes people posted so far. Here is mine now as well:

http://goo.gl/FE4sk

Part of me is really tempted to spend Saturday checking some of the non-chain retailers around L.A. to potentially score a copy early. The wait is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

So do we know for certain now that wanting to invade others as a black phantom is based on using a consumable item, as opposed to whenever you want?

http://goo.gl/FE4sk

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Alert, goons! I found a store in L.A. that broke the street date! I just picked up two copies for the PS3 and will be not sleeping at all this weekend. Why did I pick up two copies? Because I'm happy to help out my fellow goon. So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like the game early, I will sell it to you at the same cost I paid for it, which is like, $60 plus tax. It is the standard version, but still, four days early!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

qbert posted:

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

Are you going to bust them?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Hahaha, what? Come on, dude.

I just thought it a little odd he wouldn't buy from me, but I get his reasoning too.

Here's the store: http://www.yelp.com/biz/game-play-los-angeles

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Flanky posted:

So tempted. Is it the CE? I'm going for an evening walk and am stopping by Hyper Game on the way to see if they have any English copies.

Sadly not the CE. I called Hyper Games actually earlier today and they said they didn't have it, but that was after dealing with really broken English so I suspect they didn't get what I was asking. Hopefully you have better luck with the walk-in!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Uh oh.

I used the bonfire while the dragon was on the ground. He hasn't respawned. I'm boned aren't I?

You should be fine. Unless it glitched the way some people have pointed out and you were awarded 10,000 souls, he does return if you linger around on the bridge.

quote:

Is there a fireplace after the dragon bridge? I have 6k souls, no health potions and like 20% hp. I also found some huge dark knight at the top of a tower but I then ran away.

Yep! You need to hang around one of those side parts of the bridge. I always choose the left side. Waiting there for about ten seconds he'll jump down to you and start walking past where you are. As soon as you can get through run past his feet toward the bonfire, as well as a level to open a gate that shortcuts your path back to where the boar and dark knight are.

My CE copy of Dark Souls just arrived. I've been lucky enough to have been playing already for the past few days, now the thing is here at work taunting me to play more.

Also, question about a particular weapon after the Gargoyles. I got the axe by cutting off the gargoyle tail, and have the stats to equip it but every time I do the bars for bleeding, poison and deadly poison appear and at a point where they are nearly already full. What's the deal?

ireladd fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 4, 2011

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

When I do that, and go to the left side, he jumps down and stands right by me, and jumps up and shoots fire over both lengths of the bridge. I tried running under him but I have literally 1 second before I get hit with fire. I tried eating one shot and then getting up and going again but he just jumped twice and shot again.

It's odd how inconsistent this dragon can be for people. The only other thing I could suggest with my method would be to run for a distance then turn and face your shield to him so you don't actually get knocked down. You'll definitely take damage but it shouldn't kill you, and then you can continue your sprint. I hope I'm not just getting you killed!

Vanguard Warden posted:

That weapon increases your resistance to those status effects. Resistance to a status effect is effectively a regenerating health bar that enemies attack. Once it's empty, you get afflicted. When you equip a weapon that increase your resistance, it adds more potential max 'health' to the bar, so it shows up briefly while it regenerates to the new max.

Interesting! I had been so nervous to actually let any of those bars completely fill, which meant having it out for about one second, trying a swipe to see its effectiveness then immediately switching back to my other right hand weapon. I feel better now. :)

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I'm having trouble with the twin gargoyles. I can almost scrape by by fighting aggressively with a lightning-enhanced spear, but... now I'm out of gold resin and I'm not sure where/how to get more, and I can't do any appreciable damage without it. I can hold out indefinitely against the first one, but when the second shows up I can't deal with both.

If you need a helping hand make yourself human and you'll see the summoning sign of the guy who gave you the white soapstone right before the entrance of the gargoyles. He makes the battle much more manageable.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Talran posted:

Wait, now they -fill- to be well? In the JP version, mine would empty....

Maybe it's just the way one chooses to look at the colors as to if it is filling or emptying.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

is there any way to hold more estus flasks? I feel like my mage had 10 but my bandit can only hold 5.

Become human and then add another humanity to your character so there is at least a 01 in the upper left. Go to a bonfire and choose to kindle it. You'll be sacrificing that 01 humanity but you now get five extra flasks every time you go to that particular bonfire. On top of that, because of the kindling other players may randomly sometimes receive an extra flask to their stock. Same could happen to you.

Edit: BEATEN

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Can you clarify? I'm working on that boss right now and spawning at firelink. It doesn't jump out at you, at least.

About midway through the Undead Burg is a bonfire. Are you taking the elevator up to the Parish or running the length of the Burg each time? You can get to the bonfire from either direction but the Burg is easier due to weaker enemies. Go through until you get to where there is an archer shooting you from the parapet. If you look to the path to the right you see at the end of the walkway two spear and shield enemies and the staircase down to the merchant. If you keep straight, toward the archer, as soon as you get up the stairs next to where he is you'll see the bonfire to your left in a room. If you go right from that point you'll see/hear the fire bomb throwers on the roof.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Alright, a goon had mentioned earlier that there should be (early game spoiler) an alternate path to get into the undead parish if you are a moron like me that closed the portcullis there where you fight the undead boar but I cannot for the life of me find it. From where you enter I see three possible alternate routes. The portcullis behind where you enter that leads back to the dragon is closed. Continuing up the stairs you came in from leads to a literal dead end via great sword. The third path is the stairs leading down just behind the boars spawn that leads to a dining hall with some depraved ones, in which I found a mysterious key but otherwise lead to a dead end. I don't see any way to progress, any suggestions?

I had the same problem. :) There's a ladder in the dining hall. Easy to miss because it is in a dark corner.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Artix74 posted:

Is there a more reliable way to kill the Black Knight in the Undead Burg, near the Blue Tearstone Ring? I'm playing a pyromancer so all I have is my Fireball spell and Hand Axe right now, and neither are particularly effective. I can get him about a third of the time if I catch him at the right time with a few fireballs, but more often than not I can't get more than two or three of them off before I get killed trying to heal. That fucker is 600 souls a pop, and levels are only about 700 or so souls right now, so I figured I'd try and get a little easy grinding done.

Best method I found was to just keep tightly circling counter-clockwise around him. He'll swing out his shield to try and stagger you and then follow it with a sword thrust, but both will miss you if you're circling. It leaves you a nice gap of time to line up a back stab. Repeat.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Man, nothin' like a really hard game to make you feel like a complete dipshit.

How the hell do I get to the Undead Church? :sigh: The only hint the guy near the campfire is giving me is 'up,' whereas the other route goes down, down, down. I know from Giant Bomb's Quick Look that 'down' is apparently 'death' here. But there's no god drat way 'up!'

There's a way that leads a ways up near the fat guy who eventually teaches you... something or another. There's the watery area near where your giant Lord of the Rings bird is chilling out. There are no doors! I found the treasure chests, but the only way out looked like it dropped into the graveyard, so I used one of the bones I found to warp back to the fire.

I'm sure the answer's obvious and I'm just not seeing it. Little help? :(

From the Firelink head rightish and you should see a stairwell that goes up along the side of the cliff.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

There aren't enough people summoning white phantoms.

People need to be more courageous in using their humanity to run around all human-like.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

If you run around in undead mode collecting humanity but not actually un-hollowing yourself, do you still drop humanity when you die as well?

No. Humanity stores itself as an item. Only the humanity that you've consumed and thus applied to your number in the upper left corner can be lost if you die. But if you recover your souls you recover those as well and your number count will go back up.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Smelly posted:

You're supposed to flick the right stick to change targets, it just doesn't work that way sometimes.

So I asked a couple pages back but this thread moves fast. Where can I find the Spider Shield?

Spider shield is in the Depths. I think you get it rather early in to it.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I was amazed that not only did I not get cursed at all in the Depths, but I took out every single enemy in that territory without dying or igniting the bonfire. Before going to the boss I had free run of the place, so I just looked around and collected things I might have missed at my leisure.

And now, Blight Town. Sigh.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

AaronB posted:

I made it all the way to the Gaping Dragon at one point, but didn't defeat it. After than it's just been a clusterfuck. I guess I just happened to stumble on the optimal path on my first journey and can't rememeber it now. I am definitely not going the way I did on my first trip.

Were you able to open up the short cut doors that basically create one long stairwell down near the boss? That should make it better on subsequent tries.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

The.GreyWolf posted:

So I reloaded after a death and I noticed I lost my MP soapstone that writes messages. Can I get another one from Solaire?

He gives you the white soapstone, the merchant in the Undead Burg gives you the orange one, and yes, you can buy another.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Elysiume posted:

What determines what I get from invading the forest? I'm sick of getting 450 souls and a titanite shard.

Not entirely sure. It might be soul level? I have killed what seemed like high-end players and have received titanite chunks and randomly one time got the pendant. Now I have two pendants that I'm not really sure what to do with beyond Snuggly.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

One of my favorite places to invade is Sen's Fortress. I've maxed out my pyromancy but kept my level at a reasonable 45, so I'm able to invade pretty much every time I throw down the red eye stone. Folks tend to get a little antsy when it says they are being invaded in an area where so much of the environment itself can kill you, so they often dash to the beginning of the fortress to summon some super duper phantom friends to kill me. By that time I've found a great place to position myself, usually on the walkway that crosses over the first one, and when they take to dashing along to catch up to me I chuck a chaos fireball in their path, which most fail to notice also leaves a lava puddle. It's enough to either cause them to freak out and roll out of the lava and down into the pit to their death (by fall or titanite demon) or they hesitate and get knocked down by a pendulum blade. Those that don't die by that method then have to deal with me setting off dart traps along the chase to the top.

I still like to engage in battle a lot when it is just the player and myself, but once the phantoms come I have no problem playing dirty.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

bat duck posted:

Just gonna go ahead and post this again

I'd really like to know before I kill nito

It shouldn't have messed anything up, as I killed Petrus before traversing the Tomb and was able to interact with Rhea in the Parish just fine. You did encounter hollowed what's-his-face and Nico, yes? Or were they not there either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Question: If I'm in the darkwraith covenant and I go into New Game + is my covenant still active or do I have to get to Kaathe again before I can invade?

On PVP,
I love my +5 Lightning Uchigatana. It doesn't do insane amounts of damage from a single slice, but if you have pumped endurance it is fierce. My tactic is to throw a chaos fireball and when the person I've invaded dodges I switch to my sword and rush them with a barrage of swings. They've usually got their shield up and are probably laughing to themselves as I exhaust my stamina bar with each blow, but they fail to notice that the hits they are blocking are still causing their bleed meter to climb until SPLOOOSH! Suddenly a giant chunk of health disappears and they go into panic mode. And with my stamina pumping ring and mask allowing my bar to refill quicker than they anticipate I'm ready to finish them off. Even the most heavily-armored players tend to fall to my blade.

• Locked thread