Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leyburn posted:

On the topic of the painted world... once I came up with a strategy for dealing with the toxic dredglings, I had a lot of fun in this area (with the exception of the rolling skeletons). I listened to the woman who asked me to leave at the end, and left without any fuss. What would have happened had I attacked her? Did I miss out on anything? She asked nicely and seemed trustworthy so I felt it would be a bit out of order to just attack her.

Also someone mentioned an NPC phantom in this area if you are human. Where is this located? I might pop back in and take them out.

If you're going for achievements she drops a soul you need to forge one of the unique weapons and killing her is one too.

Has anybody used the whips yet? The weakness versus armored foes seems bad, but I can't wait to play Castlevania: Rondo of Dark Souls so I want to know how terrible they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Miijhal posted:

You know that NPC that absolves you of your sins and is the only way to make NPCs who are aggressive towards you go back to being passive?

Yeah, I might have accidentally attacked him.

Dark Souls: You Can't Afford Forgiveness

As far as the guide is concerned, if you hit the dude in the belltower, kiss absolution good bye. On the plus side, at least if you don't hit anybody else you'll be fine?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a general heads up, whips are terrible in this game. Abandon all hope of Belmonting because the whips' attack animations are atrociously long and the damage of the weapons does not begin to make up for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

qbert posted:

They're supposedly good for hitting multiple enemies at once, but in Dark Souls, if you're going against multiple enemies at once it means you're hosed.

The standard weak whip is a vertical slash that's quite narrow. The hard attack and jump attack are both horizontal but involve winding up like crazy to execute whats a fairly paltry attack. Additionally, if the enemy has armor the attack might as well be tickling them for all it does. Accurate? Yes. Useable? No.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does anybody know if Leo Rings (the thing Ornstein drops) stack? I just got two of the things and I'm kinda curious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Professor Latency posted:

You can't wear two of the same ring.

Well now I feel like I've got to find out if I can wear a ring of sacrifice and rare ring of sacrifice and what happens if I can.

Dark Souls: Experiment and/or Die.

Grondoth posted:

Do you happen to know where he gives you Emit Force? Wikis have it as an event from him.

After you complete the Anor Londo portion of his questline, return to Fire Link shrine. He'll ask if you opened the gates, say yes and he gives it to you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grondoth posted:

OOP NEVERMIND.

I'm kind of surprised to see a reasonable amount of likable characters in this game. Demon's Souls didn't have much in that area, most of the characters came off kinda flat. There's still only a bit of dialogue in the game, but I find myself liking a lot of the people I meet and wanting things to work out for them.

I was... too slow. I looked it up and figured it out. Thanks anyway guys.

Most of the cast make you feel awful for them. Heck, the Crestfallen Warrior guy at the very beginning dies because you give him hope to trudge on. I wish I knew more what the Firelink Shrine Maiden did because it sounds like Lautrec might have had a legitimate reason to kill her.

How is everybody doing O+S? I found it really easy to kill Orenstein first because Smough's attacks are easy to dodge and set you up for a counter hit. I wish the drat auto-target didn't freak out when he jumped, that killed me the first few times until I figured out what happened.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RedTonic posted:

The shrine maiden did something? I thought she was just a mute who upgraded his flasks for him or something like that. And then he murdered her so he could have another fire keeper soul to upgrade his estus flask elsewhere, like in Anor Londo... That was what I thought. Plus Lautrec's remarks during the summon fight "lambs to the slaughter" led me to think he's just extremely ... dickly.

When you restore her to life she mentions that she wishes her tongue had not been restored with the rest of her flesh. It was the cause of something terrible in her past and she refuses to say anymore. After that she just asks you to not ask her to speak and leave her be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speedball posted:

Estus is basically the essence of the flame of life, right? That's why it refills at bonfires, and why the Undead are restored by it.

I think its essence of the bonfires and their power. Given that the flames are fed by compressed humanity it doesn't seem far fetched that you're drinking in other people's life energy.

Unless its Deon Estus, bassist of Wham! in which case its powered by pop hits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm trying something new on NG+.

I've killed Patches before he Kills Rhea's friends down in the Tomb of the Giants to see if that changes anything about their story. Funnily enough, as he died he said "What did I do...?"

But Patches isn't the killer?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Psyker posted:

I killed that prick instantly after he flipped the bridge on me. Was I wrong?

If you make it out of both of his attempts to kill you, never say you're a cleric, and demand that he act better in the future he'll set up shop in Firelink.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

Talking to Rhea after you rescue her she says that she and her merry band were tricked by Patches, causing her allies to turn hollow.

Right, but if you rescue them she can still die because the person who actually wants her dead is still out there. Patches is dumb enough to believe you when you say you're not a cleric so he probably didn't think to hard when somebody else told him to kill them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

Well yeah, I realize that.

The story normally goes as follows:

1. You talk to the clerics and Rhea
2. After a while, they leave for the tomb. Petrus remains at Firelink.
3. When you reach the tomb, you are kicked down by Patches.
4. You talk to Rhea, then kill her hollowed friends (who turn hollow as a result of Patches), then talk to her again.
5. When you return to the church, you see Rhea and can talk to her.
6. If you buy all of her miracles, she goes to the Archives and turns hollow. Otherwise, Petrus kills her.

Trying to see if killing Patches means they complete their pilgrimage.

Ah, I didn't understand what you were going for at first. Maybe she'll have different dialogue? I mean, their little journey happens whether or not Patches has an unfortunate stabbing incident. Let us know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Do only the visible NPC enemies in the forest respawn?. Also, fighting invisible enemies is my least favorite thing in this game. No target=bullshit.

Also, Is it worth joining the cats covenant? I kind of don't want to ditch such a good place to grind.

The cat's covenant gives you the a ring that lets you do the same bullshit as the invisible guys. If you don't mind giving up a unique item though, you can just trade the lamp you get from Tomb of the Giants to Snuggly the Crow and she'll give you a ring of fog as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

diospadre posted:

Do you mean the one in Undead Burg? He doesn't have any Bastard Swords. And I'm looking for the sword called "Great Sword", not the weapon type. The Wiki says it exists but no info on where to get one. Hoping I can get one in Sen's.

According to the guide you can buy it from the Crestfallen Merchant (guy in Sen's Fortress) for 8k or you can get it as a drop off Heavy Knights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I've never seen more bullshit than curse. I got cursed two hours ago by these goddamned basilisks in the depths. I spent 40 minutes farming the skeleton outside firelink to buy the purge curse item. Died to the gaping dragon again, dropped 20k souls in there with it and on my way back to fight it again I rounded a corner and was instantly cursed.

Is there a better loving way to deal with curse other than grinding 6k souls to buy a one time use item? Curse is horseshit. gently caress curse.

Between the bonfire and gaping dragon there are zero basilisks, which coincidentally the only enemy capable of casting curse. Once you get to the area with the door to Blight Town just hang a right and go up the stairs to open the shortcut back to the bonfire.

I actually had the opposite problem, when I needed to get cursed to do New Londo I ended up having to walk away a couple minutes because the Basilisk couldn't curse me fast enough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

There aren't any bonfires in New Londo are there?

Outside of the boss chamber, no. The second shortcut you open up after you lower the water level lets you make a left at the first building and drops you off fairly close to the boss chamber. Too bad there are still 7 ghosts between you and the end so you can't just rush there.

RBA Starblade posted:

But I only have 2 estus flasks left. :negative:

If you've opened the shortcut just homeward bone back to firelink and take your 10 flasks with you. If you have iron skin the boss fight is pretty much a joke anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merauder posted:

For O+S, is one or the other considered preferable for killing first? My first attempt I killed Smough first, but then died to a dead controller battery before I could even attempt 1-on-1 with Ornstein. The 2nd time it just worked out that I killed Ornstein first, but couldn't quite finish Smough as I ran out of flasks and wasn't at all prepared for his big ol' lightning rear end.

I think it depends what kind of character you are. With high endurance and shield it was easy enough to kite Ornstein around the room and kill him first then just roll around Smoughs attacks and murder him. Doesn't hurt that Smough takes more damage from lighting and fire unlike Ornstein.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rikimaru posted:

What's a good, reasonably easy to obtain, one handed weapon that scales well with you as you level? I just beat the giant wolf and haven't gone to the depths of thats any indication where I am

Honestly right now scaling weapons are kind of a joke. How many points have you invested so far in strength/dex?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rikimaru posted:

21 in str and 18 in dex.

To be honest, you haven't sunk enough points in yet to really hurt yourself and have access to a lot of the neater weapons. Scaling doesn't catch up to elemental until like 50 or so points put into the stat so unless you're itching for a very tough gimmick run I'd advise against that.

The drake sword should let you coast until you get the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress and then after that you should have access to enough blacksmiths to make non-scaling weapons of your preference.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does Frampt swallow you up like Kaathe does? That was definitely a weird way to travel. At least now I can jump straight to the Lord Vessel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes. Hold still!

Prepare thy flesh.

Kaathe is awesome. Come on buddy, we're going to kill all the gods of Anor Londo together.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

In the painted world, is there a bug if you kill that dragon? It's dead but there is some... thing blocking my path forward. I can hit it and stuff, but it doesn't move at all.

Jump Attack it for the fright of your life.

Other than that, its not the correct way to progress through the map although you can go that way (falling down onto the underbridge) if you want. There are two ladders down into a sub area with a key for an ember room and a switch to open the door to the lower bridge which is where you should be heading.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Is there any easy way to get back to the Ornstein and Smough room? I die but the trek back is so goddamn long and fighting the sentinels and greatbow knight takes forever. It's really sapping my willpower and I want to get through this poo poo.

I hate the empowered forms of the bosses too. It wouldn't be so bad if your character didn't take 20 minutes to get back up but when they knock you down they don't let you back up.

There is a shortcut that opens the door to the first floor. You'll have to kill a sword and then spear knight but after that you can just run to the fog door. Warning: The Royal Armors can and will hit you through the fog door so once in side get the hell away from it for a few seconds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RedTonic posted:

So, should I kill Gwyndolin this playthrough?

As a warning, when you kill Gwyndolin the sky over Andor London will turn to night and the enemies will leave. If you plan on farming there or something be aware of that I guess?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I thought that was Gwenevere.

Ah I think you're right although its not too pressing since one is just the beautiful illusion of the other. Kill them both, for the Dark

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

Words

Seathe didn't change until he got the Dukedom and tried to give himself scales. Also Queelag is a child of Izalith who most likely is unceasing discharge Nito, Izalith, Seathe, and Gwyn and family are all just people using the Flame so that they can become gods and rule from on high Anor Londo.

I do want to find out what happened to Gwyn's child that abandoned Anor Londo and left.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Glasscock posted:

So I went to the blacksmith in the Undead Parish across from the church. He asked for one of my shards in a speech dialog and I said yes. He took it. I'm not sure which item it was or the purpose of it. Any clue?

Also, what's the deal with the curse? Will the guy who sells the cure for 3000 only sell so many? Like what is the absolute best and quickest way to move past that part of the game? The curse is a bunch of bullshit and I don't want to have to deal with it.

He took an ember from you. This permanently improves his forging. You cannot give an ember to the wrong blacksmith, they only ask for certain ones.

As for curse, there are infinite purging stones either from the shop in the aquaduct or by trading Snuggly crow. Additionally, the basilisk are entirely optional enemies. Drop down the chute by the first Butcher in the depths then go down the water sluice on the left most side. Take the left path to rats and slimes as it curves around again and open up a shortcut back to the bonfire. Poof: No basilisks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mistermojo posted:

For Orstein and Smough, where should I be looking for people to summon? Inside bonfire, outside bonfire, fog gate? Also is there an NPC Summon for these bosses?

Outside bonfire for other players.

As for a summonable ally, our good friend Solaire can be found on the stair landing opposite of the side you enter the pre-boss chamber from. Unfortunately this means fighting the bow knight and two royal guards instead of skipping them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Defghanistan posted:

Hey so how does one reasonably do the catacombs without a way to permanently put down those skellies? My lightning claymore +2 in't doing it and my chaos fireball doesnt even seem to put them down for good.
How does one avoid having an army of 600 skellies following him on a mad dash to suicide?

I feel like Indiana Jones with the boulder chasing him except it's an army of undead death instead

=(

Divine weapons. Any weapon that is divine puts the skeletons down. If you happen to have an occult weapon it can be downgraded to divine; note that occult weapons do not have the skeleton killing power of divine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

So goddamn do I feel good. After about 8 attempts, I finally killed Havel the Rock. Yeah! gently caress you Havel!

Now I'm in the area right past the Taurus demon with my sweet drake sword. I'm level 20 with 16 vit, 14 att, 14 end, 16 str, 12 dex, 12 resist, 10 int, 9 faith.

Any suggestions on how I should raise my stats from here?

What class are you playing as? Also unless the patch dramatically changes things, right now you can safely ignore strength, dexterity, and resist.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info, you rock. The guy at the gargoyle fight, does he not sell them forever? They are half the price of the aqueduct. Also, by Snuggly crow do you mean the crow who flew me to the island? Didn't know you could talk to him.

I don't know if he has an infinite supply. You won't need them ever again until New Londo ruins which is quite a while from you even if he is limited.

Snuggly Crow is the crow whose nest is back at the Asylum on a beam sticking out into the abyss. Ride the big crow back walk down and on your left near the bottom the hill you'll see a nest jutting out. You'll know if you're at the right place if Snuggly talks to you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Righty. Then I'd say pump your END up as your main stat. Only raise STR and DEX if you need to equip a certain weapon or shield (you should check what stats the Lightning Spear needs, since that's a great weapon to use for a long time). Ignore INT completely, since pyromancy doesn't scale with it.

Most importantly prioritize upgrading your Pyromancy Flame once you find the first Pyromancy trainer. Your damage is directly tied to that thing so you want to buff it up asap.

e: double postin wooo

To stress this; Levels in your flame are far, far more valuable than levels in any other stat you have except maybe endurance. They also don't make endurance cost any more money so always dump more points into the flame.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elysiume posted:

For O&S, do you get the armor of the one you kill last?

You get the soul of the one killed last and can buy their armor as well. You get the item of the one you kill first though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Why is it that there was a white flash near me and my flask was refilled and I got a humanity?

Someone else on your server kindled the same bonfire as the one you are currently at. You got a temporary +1 estus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Man, there is a limited stock? That sucks. So you can get screwed and be cursed for the rest of the game if you happen to use it all up? Is it per vendor or global?

There is a guy in New Londo who can uncurse you as well, an infinite number of times to boot. Although to get to him you're in ghost territory where you'd want to be cursed so if that ends up being the solution bring homeward bones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Something has been bothering me.

In the intro sequence, they mention all of the lords you must destroy for their souls in the third act of the game. Then they mention furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten. Yet he is never mentioned again through the entire game (potentially because he is, in fact, so easily forgotten).

Seems as though there's something a bit more to the story than is presented.

Sounds like somebody never talked to Kaathe...

Mordiceius posted:

Is there any easy possible way to kill the hellkite dragon at a low level?

You can do it as soon as you meet him by going to the area where the rats are under the bridge going as afar as you can on the lip and aiming up at him and he'll never attack you. Note you'll probably need to fire like 500 arrows because your bows and arrows are terrible and he regenerates health while on the building.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So for the Lordvessel there's the Four Kings, Nito, the dragon in the Archives, and who else? Where's the last door for the Lordvessel?

The Witch Izalith, down in Lost Izalith where Capra demons run free and lava pours out constantly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Is there any reliable way to break grapples? I was fighting a group of the weird crow people in the painted world and one of them got me in a grapple attack that I wasn't aware they had. Took me from 1018 HP to dead. I tried mashing the attack buttons but that didn't seem to do anything.

The crow people grab does crazy damage. Seriously, gently caress the crow dudes. Mashing just makes it end as opposed to it going till it kills you.

How did it take you from 1018 -> Dead? I had maybe 700 at that point and could tank one grapple with just enough to survive at full health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zain posted:

So I keep hearing conflicting things about Humanity farming. That it's best off the rats in the depths or that it's best in Duke's... I haven't gotten to duke yet, but the rats even with the ring are holding tightly onto those humanities and not letting them go.

The best farming is in the catacombs where the mini-skeletons respawn endlessly. Wear the covetous serpent ring and murder them while mashing A because their humanity drops disappear quickly. No need to stop at bonfires or anything.

• Locked thread