Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I feel dumb but I am totally stuck. Can anybody tell me in a non-spoilery way where I should be going after I defeat the bull demon and meet the guy who really likes the sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Wow there is so much territory to explore. I've played for seven hours and I feel like I've only scratched the surface. I have so many paths to try and each one is full of pain.

This game is awesome. Also the best class is Deprived. Nothing like starting out as a naked, emaciated mummy with a stick of wood, then eventually killing everything in sight with a halberd, a shield and metal boar helmet. :black101:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Tonight I killed Capra Demon. I saved up about 12k souls and used all of them to buy titanate/upgrades for my elite knight armor, hollow knight shield and boar helmet. I went into the fight heavy blocking his attacks no problem. I killed both dogs with one swipe from my halberd and slowly stabbed Capra to death. He was a bitch and he died like a bitch.

I'm really liking heavy armor this time around. I like loping around casually killing everything I meet.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Am I the only person who actually helps with Capra demon?

Right before I took him on solo I dropped a summoning thing and waited like ten minutes. Seemed like no one was interested in my help.

I've heard you can help others with bosses even after you've defeated them in your own world. Confirm/deny?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

im a girl btw posted:

gently caress, I just died to the armoured bull again but it burnt to death right after I died. No souls for me :(

poo poo. Forget the souls. Did you get the helmet??

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure if I can get through Blighttown, I can do anything.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

invalid posted:

Is Blighttown full of those poison ninjas and dogs?

You will miss those poison ninjas and dogs when you get there.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

It seems like there is a lot going on in this game that I am missing by playing it blind. I like to think that my guy is this Conan-type character that's just stumbling through the world on some crazy odyssey.

I "accidentally" joined a covenant. What happens now?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Where do I get the key to free Big Hat in Sen's Fortress? Also I found a lightning spear and suddenly it's better than all my weapons.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I didn't want to kill Sif. I feel bad. :(

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

It seems like a lot of people here are going places a lot higher level than me. I've rang both bells, beaten Nif and Moonlight Butterfly and am working my way through Sen's Fortress. I am level 43, does that sound about right?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Seeth the Scaleless: Am I crazy? I had no trouble finding the guy on accident when I entered the Duke's Archives the first time, now that I'm looking for him I have no idea where he is.

Also, invisible platforms!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Last set of guillotines was pissing me off. I got it now.

Would be nice to find a fire, I'm tired of spawning back at the parish.

You are near a fire after the second or third set of pendulums. There's also a shortcut that lets you skip most of the fortress. After the first set of pendulums though, jump off right before you go through the doorway. There are all kinds of fun prizes below!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I seem to have misplaced my pyromancy flame. Where can I get another one?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith were not that bad, seriously. Blighttown was the hardest area only because of those loving toxic dart guys.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Gwyn is kicking the poo poo out of me. I'm soul level 89. I can't seem to consistently parry or even manage to take off a quarter of his life.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Skitzofranik posted:

I had a heavy strength build on the character I ran through the game with, but my strategy was just to either wait until he did his quadruple slash attack or make him whiff his grab and punish him after each.

Mostly he just takes patience to beat unless you want to go the cheap route and buff yourself with iron flesh and then just two-hand attack him to death non-stop.

Iron Flesh has never really been an option for me since I lost my Pyromancy Flame. I'm kind of glad I guess since I hear it's cheap. At least the Crystal Ring Shield doesn't make this fight an easy win.

I really like this boss, even more so than Old King Allant. It seems like there's nor real "trick" to it. You just have to get better if you want to defeat this guy - even though I'm not sure why I need to, plot-wise.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I still can't beat Gwyn. :bang:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I just started playing this after a while. Is the 360 community just dead? I've been seeing almost no other players or summoning going on.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

EC posted:

If you need help on a specific part, post here (SL and area) and someone will probably help you out.

In that case I really need someone to log on and kill Gwyn for me. SL 93 right in front of his door.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Man, on the plus side I just love the blasted, apocalyptic look of the Kiln. You really feel that your seeing the result of some serious poo poo that happened there.

Are lightning weapons still the way to go for damage? They didn't patch it so weapons that key off stats are actually good did they?

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 22, 2012

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

You CAN parry Gwyn, right? Right?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Has anyone ever seen a titanite slab drop from those darkwraiths in new londo?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Okay, so just moments ago I summoned some kid who was some how able to open a chat with me. He said he was level 700 and was somehow able to kill Gwyn in like two swings of Smough's hammer. Feels kind of like a hollow victory.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Scrree posted:

Its odd, but I honestly wish that From made it so you couldn't summon people to help unless you've already died to the boss 2-3 times; it really takes away from the experience when a new boss appears and is just as quickly shut down by 2 sunbros while the host cowers behind a tower shield.

Well Gwyn had been kicking my skinny undead rear end all over his lair for long enough.

Now what should I know for NG+?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I've been going through the weapon damage calculators and I really can't see any reason not to use Lighting/Fire/Chaos weapons over anything else - unless you're a sorcerer I guess.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

Did you miss that resistances/armor is applied separately to each damage type?

No, that didn't occur to me. I was just looking at raw damage output for each weapon. What kind of armor/resistances can I expect from enemies?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Is there any reason why Solaire's sign wouldn't be appearing where it should? Besides not being in human form obviously.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo. I was human but now I am suddenly undead and there are black phantom versions of normal enemies everywhere, what is going on??

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

MysteryNad posted:

You got Gravelorded. It can happen while human or hollowed. If you can find a black summon sign on the ground somewhere you can invade whoever did it and fight them. If you win the black phantoms go away. Two other people are Gravelorded at the same time as you so they can beat him for as well.

Is the effect limited to a certain area? Or could the black sign be anywhere in the world? If so then do I have to wait until I just happen to find it?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Hamboning posted:

So I just had to destroy about 99 humanity, a +10 Balder Fire sword, a +5 Chaos Iaito, and a full set of Shadow Garb, since the dude who gave them to me admitted to modding his console/game.

...I think this must be how an ex-junkie feels throwing out an old stash.

You can get that stuff legit in no time.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Re: Capra Demon

I noticed that sometimes when you get on top of that arch at the top of the stairs, Capra will hang out underneath you. Perfect time for a plummeting attack.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I don't know about the rest of you, but the framerate in Blighttown seems WAY better than before. There still some slowdown that comes in spurts, but it's a lot less annoying.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

IronSaber posted:

Howdy guys! I just picked up Dark Souls yesterday, and boy are my arms tired!

From all the dying.

Anyways, was wondering if anyone had any tips for killing the Black Knight that hangs out near the tower in the Undead Burg.

My friend somehow managed to drop down and grab the item he is guarding before committing suicide by throwing himself on the BK's sword. Actually I've yet to replay the game on a fresh character, not sure if it's possible to get him before killing the first boss.

What am I saying. I bet it's possible...

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

The Black Knight is Dark Souls' Red Eye Knight.

"The gently caress is this guy? I can take him." "Oh fu-" YOU DIED

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I'm just starting out my lvl 1 run. I'm not getting any bites for coop for Capra Demon for some reason though. I figured people would be all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I always run with a shield, but it's there basically as a safety net in case I don't dodge. I suck at parrying, but I think that's because each enemy type has completely its own timing on the parry. So my strategy is dodging, and walloping them with the biggest weapon I can use. Hasn't really failed me except on the last boss...

• Locked thread