Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Regarding the NPC that you're all talking about: I decided to kill him preemptively. I figured, well, since I get one free shot, I'd better make it a heavy attack and take it with both hands.

I forgot I was using the Drake Sword.

As he was flying off the cliff, riding my shockwave into infinity, he informed me that he was sorry but I had left him no choice.

edit: I didn't get any loot though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rollersnake posted:

The feather-light ragdoll corpses keep cracking me up. The bush monster things from Darkroot Garden never seem to reach equilibrium and lie there perpetually twitching. I also just had a Hollow collapse onto me after I killed him, and the next time I attacked, I hurled him forward like a zombie bolas.

This is the only other notable thing to happen to me so far. Near the Burg fire, there's that narrow bridge with firebomb zombies. One time I managed to get all of the enemies in that spot on the bridge and killed them in the same place. There were maybe eight corpses. They all stuck to me as I crossed the bridge, so I did a roll. All of the corpses sprayed off of me in a beautiful upward arc. What I wouldn't give to have a gif of that.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Krinkle posted:

after 30 hours of no pvp at all, suddenly I can't not get pvp'ed. All my summonings fail but not so the black phantoms who murder me in endor londo. I cannot hit anything with this scythe. I cannot survive anything in this leather armor. I am getting over half my life lost being hit through a block because of lightning? does lightning ignore blocking?

Wish there was a way to reshuffle these points and I don't feel like I basically wasted the last few days of my life

No Live for me, so I can't comment on the PvP, but shields resist physical, fire, lightning, and magic at different rates. Check your inventory. Metal shields tend to do poorly against lightning, but better against fire.

edit: what up shield simulposting buddy?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went back to Firelink and walked through that flooded shrine ruin. There was very loud snoring. I looked around but couldn't find what was making that noise. What happened?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

coyo7e posted:

Anybody who gets the boars helm early will tend to be mostly naked, because it weighs 8. I got it on one of my characters for a gag, and to keep my encumbrance below 25% I have to be naked.

This is one of the big things I am loving about this game. You can really do anything as far as gear goes within reason. I got the boar helm. Before then, I had started a rogue, and got an early battle axe. Instead of wearing my not-good shield, I two-handed the axe, and rolled around in my leather owning dudes.

Now, I'm wearing the boar helmet (because it's a trophy and drat cool looking!) with my starting leather so that I can rock the black knight shield and drake sword. Endurance pump plus that one guy's ring lets me keep 50% load for decent rolls.

I finally got to the gaping dragon, and like lots of others here, didn't have much trouble with it. Poor Solaire doesn't have much in the way of self-preservation instinct, though. I think he got hit every single time by that attack where it rears up and slams down, chewing on the ground. I actually loved the sewer area, come to think of it. I went in with some spare humanity points and rats dropped a ton of the humanity items. Thanks, rats!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bland posted:

You can jump off and back onto land. Way to waste a perfectly good ring of sacrifice

I used a home bone. v:v:v

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blarfo posted:

The one thing I still don't get is the parry shields. What IS the benefit of using them over larger shields that still let you parry? The target shield claims it makes it easier to land critical hits after parry, and it feels like the animation for parrying is longer (though I'm too lazy to try and see if the parry "sweet spot" is actually extended) but I've never had trouble just pressing R1 after parrying.

As far as I know, they are a lot lighter than full shields. That's it. gently caress parries anyway, trying for them makes fights harder.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just killed moonlight butterfly with NPC assistance. I basically hunkered down behind my shield and waited a minute.

Is Havel's equipment random drop? I got his ring.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rascyc posted:

No, the armor is received later in the game. The ring is a guaranteed drop.

Yes, which are replenished anytime you rest. Typically all the magic in this game has pretty low # of uses with a few exceptions.

I haven't been too happy with the magic in this game all things told. 5 Variants of Soul Ray? At least mix it up a little bit more Logain, ugh. Pyromancy is pretty cool though at least.

I just started using pyromancy, too. Combust is great. I also love how fireball is essentially rechargeable firebomb++. My fireball does like 160-200ish damage and the firebombs are doing maybe 100 at most. Adjust numbers for fire resist, of course.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elysiume posted:

Holy poo poo, they're replenished when you rest? I was about to ask why anyone would ever get Homeward. So every time you hit up a bonfire they fully restock? Too bad I'm 4 Faith short of Homeward.
edit: How do I equip a miracle? :saddowns:

Yes, all magic works this way. It recharges all equipped spells when you rest. To equip magic, rest at a bonfire and hit "attune magic".

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

If I'm running through as a slightly nimble (<50%) sword and boarder with a penchant for spears, and also using pyromancy - is it at all likely that I'll have the additional points to branch into another school of magic? If so, any particular reason to pick one or the other? Pyromancy is super fun, and having more useful spells to throw at people / make myself awesome would be awesome.

I realize it's a bit of an odd question, and largely depends on if the weapons I end up using scale with Int. I just don't know if there are any such weapons suited for the above build, and am trying to avoid wikis this time.

I thought you didn't need any stats for pyromancy? The focus for it gains int bonus as you level it, but people say that the int bonus doesn't apply to the spell damage.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

That's the point - you don't. Which means right now, I'm basically just dumping points into Endurance and Vitality, not into any spell-related stats.

I'm unclear on whether that's really the best way to go for my sword/spear/board/<50% character, or if I've probably got the "spare" points to throw into Int or Faith for one of the other schools of magic.

Ooh, gotcha. Well, if you're not putting points into weapon stats, you might like sorcery for the offense/defense boosting spells. No idea how effective they are, but hey, soul arrow! :v:

edit: person above me, I think the gaping dragon was the one that gave me a dragon greataxe. I'd love to use it but it requires a shitton of strength.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Capsaicin posted:

Welp, after accidentally attacking the dude in the church, I made it back and killed the Gargoyles after three hours of play time. I'm level 13 warrior, which I'm finding more fun that my old knight anyways.

This Drake Sword is almost gamebreaking though :(

Only for a little while. It will soon become something that just gives you a fighting chance. Enjoy blowing through mooks like a god while you can.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ring of Favor and Protection is an EASY choice because it not only raises your load but also your stamina by 20%. I'm never going to take that thing off. I'm wearing it and Wolf's Ring right now.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DeathSandwich posted:

That is the ragesword, you need a +10 scimitar or falcion and Quelaag's soul. Combine them at the blacksmith in anor londo.

It looks like someone glued a porcupine to the drake sword's hilt.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Emron posted:

Yeah, the tight quarters on top of the tower aren't really ideal for fighting him, but really, they're probably your best bet. You just have to do it really well, so it's kind of annoying.

The thing he's guarding is another bonfire and an altar with some non-aggro dreglings around it. It's for the sun covenant.

I had a really weird glitch with that knight. First, I was able to get up there and behind him for a backstab. I ran down the stairs like crazy and waited. He never came.

He had come partway down the stairs, and returned to his spot. His back was still turned. So I stabbed him again. And again. No drop besides the titanite though. :(

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The.GreyWolf posted:

There's a couple towers and one of them looks at him sort of from behind. It's a pretty sizable glitch when you can take down a dragon with one arrow.

I think it's intentional.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Fair warning for others: if you find an invisible archer, don't kick her off a cliff. Unlike other monsters/NPCs that will deposit their loot at the edge of wherever they died after reloading the game, she doesn't. No cool bow for me. :(

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

a foolish pianist posted:

Where's the bonfire in the depths? I saw an orange message saying one was near, just before the huge rat, but I didn't find it before I got killed.

Behind a door guarded by about five slimes and a couple of torch zombies. You need the master key or a key found near the giant rat room.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrSmokes posted:

So is there a way to refill your spells without resting at a bonfire, or increase the number of spells you can carry with you? I'm playing through the game again with a pyromancer, and having only eight fireballs to work with seems kind of lacking.

Level attunement. It gives you more slots.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sheep, I really hate to ask, but isn't that the same as this? http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgradechart

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ugh what is the point of blighttown? I found Server and some pyromancy stuff and robes and the shortcut but I have no idea where I should go to actually move forward in the game now. Is it past or near those three guys with rocks?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Argh, I hosed around with those guys and kept dying due to bugs respawning and messing up my rhythm. One is easy, but three not so much. I stopped trying because I thought it was just a hill they were standing on. Thanks.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Morose posted:

Any tips for killing that goddamn hydra in Darkroot Basin? I've managed to get about three of his heads off in something like 30 attempts. Is there some good way to just cheese him, cuz I'm about done with this fucker.

Yes. Stand behind that tree. Wait for it to shoot. Come out with your shield up and approach the water until it attacks. In my case the last remaining head wouldn't come to the shore so I could hit it with my sword, so I shot like 40 arrows at a neckstump. Interestingly enough, the last remaining head also wouldn't shoot straight at me, so I could be pretty much anywhere and not get shot at. Basically, the heads don't really aim for you too much and only shoot as close to you as they can within a small area. Same for biting.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wildtortilla posted:

Am I going to miss out on a really fun part of the game if I don't have XBL?

From what I hear the multiplayer is not so great on XBL partially due to it being broken on both platforms but also because there is a smaller playerbase on xbox. I'm still having fun, although I wish I could get messages.

edit: could you guys all play the game more and post about it less? I went to bed and there were 6 pages posted overnight! :gonk:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Emron posted:

I don't get the "this game isn't fun, it just gives you a sense of accomplishment from killing hard things" sentiment either. I'm enjoying this game a LOT. Way more than I've enjoyed any game in recent memory.

No kidding, this is the first time in a long time I've done stuff like "well I will set a timer and play for an hour" and then go "aw poo poo it's two and a half hours later, uhhh"

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elysiume posted:

Uh, what's the giant cat/wolf thing in the forest that was bounding around? It looks terrifying. :(

It IS terrifying.

Last page someone brought up again, so I'll say it again: the invisible archer in the forest is Pharis. She drops the Black Bow of Pharis. If she falls to her death, she WILL NOT drop the bow. The bow will not be at her spawn point or wherever she fell down. She's the one known exception to that rule.

Also I totally hosed up Quelaag and then got wasted by the next dude. :negative: I think the one actual complaint I have about the game and not stuff like camera weirdness is that some fog doors are just marking "here's a new spot" and you can immediately backtrack. Some fog doors are marking "here's a boss" and you're trapped. Can't tell which is which until your stain is locked behind one. Sacrifice ring run time!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tamagod Sushi posted:

She's also all fog ringed/ghostly so how would you hit her? You can't really lock on so do you just wait to Parry, or run around her hoping for a Backstab?

Well, that's why I ended up kicking her off the cliff instead of hitting her normally. You can just swing in the direction of fogged enemies, though.

darkhand posted:

By "next guy" do you mean the shoddy loving waterwheel? Cuz gently caress that thing, killed me more times than any boss.

No, I mean poo poo-rear end Lava Kraken who doesn't aggro until I steal mommy's clothes.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Demitri Omni posted:

That's... Weird. I thought I read that you couldn't drop them on the wiki, sorry for misleading. I think I had specifically looked it up since I wasn't going to use them. Sorry!

In other news, I just regained my humanity in Blighttown to fight the phantom, my character moves up way too close to the bonfire, and his leg goes all crooked during the animation. Now he's sitting like this:

And, when I tried to get a screen of the weird animation itself, I got this:

What a crazy boar witch doctor I am.
Oh, this reminds me. Everyone, equip your pyro flame and two-hand it. Run up near to a wall, face it, swing the camera around to your front. The two-hand animation looks like you're gripping a sword hilt, but of course, your hands are empty.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DeathSandwich posted:

No, the only weapons that have it are the ones that have a number listed under the holy property (the white doughnut in the weapon's aux effects there beside poison and bleeding).

I seem to remember discussion was that divine weapons suck? I was tempted to make my server +5 divine, but really only because I don't have the other embers yet.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ixjuvin posted:

oh, Pyromancy! You don't have to put points into int to do a lot of damage! *spends 500,000 souls on stuff which could have been int levels* :shepface:

Yo, the point of pyromancy isn't that it's cheap. The point is that you don't have to raise your stats to use it. You get diminishing returns per soul because each point costs more. Buying a spell or upgrading your focus doesn't make the next point of endurance or strength you desperately need to equip something cost more. Hope This Helps You In Your Dark Souls Experience (HTHYIYDSE).

edit: this is important because some stats (dex, int, faith) only do one specific thing and if you aren't doing that, it's wasted. other stats (end, vit) are important to any character.

Drox fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 14, 2011

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

I don't think there are any 100% damage reduction shields period for anything but physical damage.

I haven't seen any, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one shield for each element that has 95% resist for it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Krinkle posted:

are gold trimmed robes unupgradable? even with twinkling titanite? I never used the bottomless box so I'm hoping I'm just missing it...

Can't upgrade those at all. They have pretty crazy magic (particularly fire) resist though.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

I really liked how they had NPC versions of the different multiplayer mechanics with summoning NPC helpers and getting invaded by NPCs and invading Lautrec but I'm kind of disappointed there weren't any special bosses where like you were summoned to help Solaire kill something.

That would have been a neat "random encounter" mechanic. "Here, try this boss you haven't fought yet at no risk but you can't heal yourself."

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tycho posted:

I have to wonder what the vendor thinks in Sen's Fortress when he hears a sweaty fat armored rear end in a top hat in stone armor and a grim reaper cloak hove himself noisily across a chasm, burst through the door, dive roll into a bunch of now-shattered tables and barrels, and then scrambles up to this dude in the corner with a crazy look in his eye, saying "Give me all your FIREBOMBS, now!"

"Is it Tuesday already?"

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

andrew smash posted:

Most of the problem with multiplayer could be fixed with a dedicated server instead of this P2P garbage. I really, really hope that server support is included in the patch and they put one up.

Yeah stick to her front and just to the side, you'll be out of the hit range of her fire whip thing and normal lava blasts. Run away as soon as she pauses her attack pattern, that means she's either going to to a leg stomp or her AOE fireball (not lava) which is unblockable and will gently caress you up.

That aoe (the one that can pretty much one-shot you) isn't unblockable, but blocking it with the black knight shield took out most of my ~150 stamina.

e:

Elysiume posted:

Thanks for the Quelaag tips. Honestly, she's an incredibly fun boss! Her mechanics are pretty fun!

Why does she give less souls than Gaping Dragon, who is a massive pushover? :goleft:

If you summoned the NPC phantom, she ganks some of your reward.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

andrew smash posted:

Okay fair I guess, i tried to block it once with the eagle shield and it completely flattened me and took off almost all of my health so I never tried again.

The eagle shield has like 40% fire resist or something fairly low. Granted, the attack DID one-shot me if I didn't block, but I didn't take much damage hiding behind the 95% fire resist on the black knight shield. I died a couple of times but mainly because I wasn't watching my stamina and didn't have enough to block.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

But there are no other action RPGs on the market with quite honestly the best level design and best moment-to-moment melee combat of any other game. And the best multiplayer structure too (if it worked like it was promised). So I have to put up with this stupid poo poo.

Here's something interesting I've noticed: I'm saying "This system is punitive (it is harsh) for no real reason" and you are saying, "The Demon/Dark Souls games are known for being punitive" as a reply. But you forgot to add a qualifier: they are known for being punishing but fair about it. You can beat every monster in the game with enough skill and a tolerable weapon, you can beat every boss too. But if you get hit you are going to lose 33% - 66% of your life. If you aren't careful you might fall into a pit and you're dead, that's your punishment. And notice that these are all things the player can control. But sometimes you will make an errant sword swing when you put down your controller or accidentally pick firebombs or mistake a scary merchant for a monster and a then the game just mercilessly fucks you over. And it's not fair. Fair would be the NPC saying something, or a dialogue prompt that says "Talk: X Attack: Y" or something like this. Something that allows the player to make a choice, rather then blasting them for making a very human mistake that is outside their control in some circumstances.

What's funny is that in a couple of years there is going to be a game with amazing level design and great melee combat and is still very challenging and punishing but will do away with all the poorly designed bullshit of Demon/Dark Souls and will be a smash success. Just like Everquest -> World of Warcraft. The market is there, and people want to play this kind of game.

Hey not that certain things aren't bullshit like the exorbitant cost of absolution but here's a magic tip guaranteed to stop you from making GBS threads firebombs all over friendlies.

Just turn around. Oops, I set down the controller and accidentally attacked. Now it doesn't matter because you were facing the other way.

I'd play the poo poo out of Mecha Souls, revitalized. Just sayin. edit: especially if the humanity mechanic is preserved under a different name. Go rockin around in a decrepit, rusted mecha and then for a boss fight you give it the ol' spitshine and the glory of your armor summons allies to your side. :allears:

Drox fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 15, 2011

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lohli posted:

Armoured Soul! Can you imagine AC's flair and customization with Dark Souls' gameplay and summoning mechanics(but working)? Open world post apocalyptic megacity with mini arms-forts hidden beneath/above it that you can drop in/out of multiplayer in.

Bonus points for actually being in the same universe as DS.

I can still totally imagine this. Please make this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

oneliquidninja posted:

I'm partial to the wiki dot one (though I use the other one if I can't find my answers there). The Demon's Souls wiki dot wiki was very well put together.

I think it's just going to take time to catch up. Most of the people that edited it last time around are probably to busy playing right now to be arsed to deal with it.

Those are just lazy edits though. Should be base strength requirement divided by 1.5 rounded up. Or maybe the editor didn't know the formula (I could be wrong actually but that's how the last game was and my experience so far with the game tells me nothing has changed in that regard).

Most of the pages look like they are a copy-pasted template that hasn't been filled out yet.

• Locked thread