Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
So I just bought this game, and honestly it is definitely much less obnoxious than Demon's Souls so far. I've played up until the first real boss fight in the Undead Burg that big dude on the little walkway up on the roof and I feel like if you just go straight into the game with a mentality of: not getting greedy, moving slowly, and always going back to spend your souls as soon as they are worth something it's a pretty steady progression.

Also something worth noting if you talk to the guy at the first campfire in Lordran a few times instead of once he'll eventually make it incredibly clear which way you are supposed to go; considering all the complaints I have heard from friends and associates who got confused at this part I'm a little disappointed none of them tried talking to him twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Also I had a question, on my way through the undead burg I was in a building and I smashed some crates when a gecko exactly like the Demons Souls geckos popped out. I killed it and got some titanite, obviously I ran right back to my bonfire, but what should I do with this stuff? When is it worth something to me and what can I do with it? Playing as a stamina heavy, phalanx knight.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
So I got to the Taurus demon, he charged at me, I missed with a bomb, he charged again and then he fell off the tower and I got a bunch of souls. It was especially excellent considering how much I stocked myself up for that fight.

Is there a way to aim the crossbow or do I need to buy a bow if I want to kill the dragon? Also I just passed the huge iron warthog guy and got to the bonfire beyond with the blacksmith underneath... what is the correct way for me to go? I only ask because I went into the basement below the blacksmith for a few seconds and almost got totally fried by some crazy thing down there.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
I don't suppose anyone wants to help me with Gargoyles later tonight? I brought Mr Helpful Templar along on both my solo runs: the first time he fell off the roof about a minute in and the second time he got trapped in a corner and stunlocked while I got melted. While I feel like I might be underleveled for this area I managed to kill Yurt guy and the two special enemies in the church that don't respawn just fine by myself and I've been close on the boss runs but I just don't think I can make the push alone. I have no idea where to get anything that has fire resist and apparently being a butchass knight with tons of armor and a kiteshield isn't cutting it.

Capsaicin posted:

Taurus Demon:

Alternatively you could just run around like a chicken with your head cut off like I did and he might just fall off the battlements and into the abyss. Seriously wait for him to charge, stand near the broken parts of the battlements and then just laugh straight to the campfire.

I810BUX fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 8, 2011

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

what's your soul level?

Soul level 14, most of which I put into endurance, with knight armor, a kite shield, and a spear +2.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

i'll see if i can dig up any 2-day trials to help you out, hold on.

Alright, thanks dude. What are 2day trials.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

oh wait, are you on xbox or ps3?

Xbox. All of the messages I see tell me to roll off cliffs. It's pretty frustrating.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If anyone needs help, I've dropped my summon sign in between the two ladders leading to the gargoyles. Climb the first ladder and turn around, it's there.

Oh man I really hope you are still on, logging on now.

e: also as frustrating as this gargoyle fight has been for me so far I have to say that I'm still really impressed with the way they gang up on you. They're really good at maneuvering around you, pincering you and then trapping you in a giant whirlwind of flames and sharpthings.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I've moved my summoning sign to the top of the second ladder, just fyi.

Could you put it by the door? I'm standing right there and I don't see anything.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Still nothing? I'm tossing it around all over the place up there.

Nothing. Try between the ladders and leave it there for a bit.

Just put my summon sign down, Alsepht, can you see that?

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Alright, it's there. You may need to grind up a level or two before you can recognize my summon sign or whathaveyou.

Oh, I was not aware it worked that way. Well give me a minute to go clear out this church a couple times I guess.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
drat dude, just went up two soul levels and got a Balder helm drop, I have been in this church for like an hour and NO ONE is running gargoyle on my "lobby" right now except me. I just need my white knight to come and save me :allears:

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

360? And what is the baldur helm. I'd totally help but it'd probably not work. Wish yo could zswitch lobbies every 30m or so.

Very 360 and amazingly immediately after I posted that I took them down no problem. About two seconds in the templar npc broke the tail off the first one and for some reason that made the whole fight a lot easier. I even got a Stone Gargoyle Axe out of it!

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

Well, lets do the capra demon like bros then?

Done and done where do I go. Also this axe rules even if I can't use it. The two handed heavy swing animation has the shaft of the axe bend like the gargoyle's tail, BECAUSE IT IS.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

Go back to the burg where the dragon is. That's the way down. Also what level are you?

17 as of right now. Do you mean the locked door right before the bridge? I want to kill that dragon so badly.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

Shir, you have to be 19 or 20 for me to help.

There is a locked door by the sunlight guy

Question, how the hell am I supposed to get back across the dragon bridge with the dragon right there? Because I'm pretty sure it's just gonna roast me.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
How many arrows am I looking at to break this dragon's tail.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
So I just took down the Capra demon no problem in one try. I went into the sewers, beat up some dudes with cleavers, found a giant rat and hit it through a grate in the wall until it died. I've been building dex and stamina and I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to know what a good dex weapon for my point in the game is; I have a spear and I'd like to continue using spears if I can but I have no idea if most of them are dex weapons or not or what the deal is with anything.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
So what is the recommended SL for the Depths? I was roaming around and then pulled out because I got two black phantom attacks in a row while down there, and the combination of black phantoms plus what I assume are stone spewing chameleons were a problem for me. I ran into the forest, picked up the elite knight's armor, and somehow got a lucky win against Moonlight Butterfly with the witch companion. So right now I'm sitting at the bonfire above the blacksmith and my question is isn't this butterfly's soul used to make a spear? And if so how do I make that happen because my damage output sucks right now. I like using spears and I don't want to switch to the drake sword.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

StringOfLetters posted:

You can use its soul to make either a spear or a small shield. You need to have either a spear or shield at +10, and it needs to be ascended by the blacksmith in Anor Londo; you have quite a long way to go before you get to him though, sorry. For now, you'd be better off upgrading a winged spear or a pike from scratch if you want to get phalanxy.

Well poo poo. I have a spear+6 and a spider shield+3 right now. I just picked up the partisan in the forest, but I haven't run across a winged spear and the pike looked like it had the same stats as the spear to me. The partisan's horizontal R2 seemed way less useful than the spear's thrust though so I'm definitely not switching to that. Someone mentioned I might fight a katana soon? Where should I even go, just continue through the depths until I get somewhere or should I try to push further into the forest? Or should I head back to firelink and go down this time? I feel like with all the options I have I feel more lost than in the beginning of the game.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
I'm definitely not in a hurry but even though I can take the bushmen in the forest pretty easily the giant stone dudes are pretty much just tanking my attacks and then curbstomping me. I was lucky enough to kill the one on the way to the staircase up to moonlight butterfly, and that was probably only because I had another person helping me who died during the fight. I feel like I can almost take the forest, but I want to know what a good alternative to the sewers is because every time I have gone down there so far I have gotten doubleteamed by a black phantom and the chameleon monsters. Alone the chameleons aren't that big a deal but it really feels like I'm getting hunted down there.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
I beat Gaping Dragon today and I was almost kind of disappointed. I ended up summoning in someone before the fight, and having even one other person there really trivializes the whole affair. At one point we had him locked in a pattern where he would jump into the air, turn around towards one of us, get hit, and then jump and do a 180 back to the person on the other side.

Excellent looking monster though. I am continually impressed at how absolutely gorgeous this game is. The tense atmosphere combined with the great lighting and shadows really cements how enthralling it can be.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Question: I have never gotten further than beating Anor Londo and the Painted World before. I just turned in the lordvessel and now I don't really know where I should go. Catacombs to kill Nito? What would be appropriate difficulty wise for a level 70 with a maxed out lightning uchigatana?

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Znorps! posted:

At this point, pick your poison. Each area has their own difficulties and pay offs. I personally tend to go back to New Londo to take out the 4 Kings first, but I always try to get darkwraith early. You said you placed the lord vessel, so that ship has sailed. I'd go back to the Daughters of Chaos bon fire and work my way to the Bed of Chaos. Get him out of the way early so you can enjoy the rest of the game.

Er so I figuratively placed the vessel. I just quit out at firelink after finishing the painted world and it's in my inventory. What is darkwraith and why should I go into that awful place with the ghosts I had to run through to grab the firekeeper soul early?

vv- also I have not done anything past this point so I have no idea what a bed of chaos is or how to get there from quelaag's sister.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
So is SL 75ish just way too high to do coop in Anor Londo? I've been sitting right at the bridge after the rotating staircase with a summon sign for ages and haven't gotten a single bite. What's a good boss to hang out at where I may actually get summoned?

e: or is it my hat? I figured a mostly Tarkus getup would be appropriate but maybe people are hesistant since he died in the Ariamis building.

I810BUX fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 26, 2012

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

You're on the high end for Anor Londo, but not too high for the occasional summon. The problem is that basically no one at all summons near that bridge or in the first 2/3 of the area in general. Try leaving your sign in the bonfire room in the silver knight palace, that's generally where people are who are preparing to do the boss.

I tried that too :smith:

I guess I was just on at a bad time. Also I don't suppose anyone is willing to get summoned to help with Gwydolin? I have run through this loving painted guardians rafters poo poo like eight times because for some reason it really doesn't want to allow me to set the bonfire right outside his bossfight as my home and I can't get close enough to him even at light weight to actually cut him up.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

tidiox posted:

I'm guessing that Dark Anor Londo resets your ability to summon, maybe until you've beaten Gwyndolin? I had a guy summon me into his Dark Anor Londo the other night because he wanted to farm invaders and he'd clearly beaten O&S already.

Also, if Gwyndolin is really giving you trouble and you don't mind using a very cheap tactic to kill him, go buy a bunch of Poison Arrows, equip the Hawk Ring, and stand right where you start the battle. He won't attack you unless you move forward more than a few steps, so you can keep poisoning him (takes about 7-8 arrows each time) and he'll never fight back.

Welp. Did this for the silver knight archers in Anor Londo so I guess that's what I'm doing here since I haven't gotten a single summon sign; I got invaded and I'm sick of these painted guardians.

e: also where is the best place to get summoned in the painted world and is SL75 too high for that too?

I810BUX fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

tractor fanatic posted:

The one archer can definitely get you before you've reached the lower platform, as seen in this gif from the other thread

What's funny about this archer is that there is a buttress over to the left of the buttress that goes down to the path onwards where you can stand, he can't hit you, and you can easily hit him with arrows. From the other buttress you can't even see him though so whenever I get summoned to help people through this part I can tell when they are a new player because they often aggro the gargoyles below, then run back up and get murked by this guy. There's a lot of really great enemy placement in this game but this dude and the one hollow soldier that will always loving chase you all the way to the Parish bonfire if you let him are probably my two favorites.

• Locked thread