Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I'll bite, I clicked two dozen of these things.

http://goo.gl/t9rxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rathi04 posted:

http://goo.gl/eIRgV

Runes are changing on the website, I need some soul energy. I'm clicking every link I see as well.
What runes? I don't really see anything to do besides look at my rank and number of tokens. I spun the wheel a couple times and never saw it again. :ohdear:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Ahh, thanks! :)

The Wise Teen posted:

The only other thing I could add to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an Xbox Live subscription to get any of the online functionality on 360?
Yep.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AlPath posted:

Oh IGN how I love thee. :ughh:
I'd assume they have some weighting involved, as a 9.5 in sound is not as important as a 9.0 in something else.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think you need to worry about not being able to make monstrosities.
That is great.. He actually made a loving cyclops.

So are the top 200 rankings all goons by now or what? http://goo.gl/t9rxe

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lenaway posted:

Reposting my code too: http://goo.gl/7Lt5E

I'm really jealous that some people are getting to play. If only I could black out till tuesday.
Two or three fifths of whiskey ought to do it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dumb newbie question about tutorial: I'm at the spot where you can traverese the white light and come out above the abyss dragon dude, right next to the "RB while falling for plunge attack" message, but I can't figure out how to perform it on the guy.. Is this just a trick to make me die a bunch? I can't figure out how to jump out and plunge onto him, and suspect I couldn't kill him with it anyway..

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rexicon1 posted:

Playing this game is a test in my ability to deal with weird targeting right now. I have died more than once to how clumsy the targeting system functions now. Probably my only complaint so far though.

( I guess maybe the weird framerates and motion blur are a lil pain, but they are minor in the end)
Are you locking on to your target?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn, I have tried and tried to make a Cyclops but just can't get near this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsW4OfUqcAw#t=2m30s

I wish I could read japanese. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I'm confused about the (I think it was called?) "Lloyd's Pendant" item. It says it stops estus regen in a radius.. Is this only for invading? Or does it work when I'm just near another player and can see their outline?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Znorps! posted:

Made it to the first bon fire in Undead Burg. God drat this game is everything I hoped for. So drat happy. Also, the CE tin is pretty neat. Glad it was a free upgrade though. Don't know if the art book and tin would warrant any extra money really but I'm happy I have them.
That tin is going to be my new joint-rolling tray/kit. :420:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

I can never plunge quite right for some reason. I target, hit B, but i always hit RT and not RB. :suicide:
It helps if, when you reach the top of the ladder, you sprint halfway into the middle of the tower, then turn, sprint back, and jump at the edge while spamming RB. Don't gently caress around on top of the tower for long because he can jump up with you!

Also, You can kill the Taurus demon with nothing but plunge attacks, but probably won't be able to run fast enough if you're in heavy-ish armor. Just be sure to run halfway across the bridge after hitting him, then roll past and keep sprinting until you reach the ladder

Crowbear posted:

You can kindle it more than once at some point later in the game. Until then the cap is 10.
If you're capped at 10 you can still gain flasks if someone else kindles your fire. I was afk grabbing a drink last night and came back to 11 flasks in UB.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GaistHeidegger posted:

Am I just really bad at lining up back-stabs or can you physically not engage a back-stab against an 'idle' enemy or one otherwise not engaged in combat yet? It seems like you always end up taking a regular swing when you catch something unaware, particularly black knights, allowing them to turn around and whale on you when you were hoping to get the drop on them.

I am still torn on abandoning my horrible attempt at a thief and starting over as a knight, particularly after hearing now that being tanky works better than in Demon Souls.
I'm kind of "meh" on the master key seeing as it doesn't seem to be useful for pretty much anything that you couldn't access with another key from somewhere, but the bandit knife and the leathers the thief start out with are pretty good. I just pumped my endurance (or whatever the stat is that gives more stamina) a bit, and made sure I had 13 STR to wield that winged spear you can get right after the tutorial is done - I kind of prefer the rapier but the superior range is pretty rad, even though it's a tad slow.

I'm rather fond of the Wanderer too, his poo poo is kind of lightweight so you can run and dodge okay and the scimitar rocks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rikimaru posted:

So, dumb question. How do you do a plummet attack?
Hit RB while above an enemy in midair. If the guy's not directly under you though it's a bit dodgy, you need to get a running start and probably leap off the edge as well.

I usually SPAM the button, I was able to successfully plunge onto the Taurus demon 90% of my tries.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Feenix posted:

First you find a way to let gravity do what it wants to, then you attack. :)

[edit] are the starting drops for weapons and whatnot dictated by your initial character class? Randomized, or am I missing something? People mentioning "Spears right at the start" and stuff. I got a 2-sided Axe and a spider shield. That's all I've seen.
The spear right at the start is from a dead body in the tombstone-covered graveyard full of skeletons that rebuild themselves. They're below the Covenant of White guy, past the Crow down the hill. If you find a giant skeleton standing up in front of you, it's right there.

There's also a big-rear end two handed sword in that area.

Feenix posted:

Not true. You can walk off a ledge if the guy is under you and do it just fine.
IF the guy is UNDER you. A lot of the time a dude will be like 8-10 feet away form the edge. It's way easier to leap over him to make sure you get directly above him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rikimaru posted:

Okay. Um, how do you leap off a ledge? Is there a jump button now?

Sorry for the questions I haven't had a chance to play yet.
Get a few steps' lead while running holding B, then tap B again.

You can practise on flat ground.

Feenix posted:

So when you said Starting area I was thinking Asylum. You mean past that. That's fine. I meant the VERY start of the game. :)
I haven't found anything btu broken sword hilts and tattered armour in the tutorial section.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, dumb newbie question about the tutorial section so I'm not going to spoiler much of the question.. I suspect all three of these are connected, though..?

When you reach the tip that tells you how to use backstep/roll, over to the left there's a broken stair with a body containing loot, on top of it. How do i get up there?

I noticed the first time I was playing the game yesterday when I got past the cannonball on the stairs and the guy right behind it, that some player fell down to where I was fighting the (first time you meet two at a time, with a archer behind them near the plunge-attack message) sword skeletons, and though maybe that was someone who'd found how to reach the loot I mentioned in the first paragraph..

Is there a way to get through the locked door past the first heavy-shield skeleton right in that same area?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sound like a vagrant.

If you're on the 360 version, you're welcome. :smug:
I've been dropping extra crap all day.
How do you drop stuff? I haven't been able to figure it out and I'm tired of carrying these broken sword hilts and six sets of hollow warrior/soldier armour. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Argh! How the gently caress do I drop items!? I'm sick of carrying around cracked sword hilts and hollow warrior armours!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any goons want to put together an IRC channel for this? I would but I dunno what I'm doing with IRC host commands so I'd probably gently caress it up somehow. :ohdear:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 5, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ireladd posted:

No. Humanity stores itself as an item. Only the humanity that you've consumed and thus applied to your number in the upper left corner can be lost if you die. But if you recover your souls you recover those as well and your number count will go back up.
Apparently you also get increased item drop rates if you stack humanity into yourself while alive by using it, instead of carrying the items.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vatek posted:

What's the button on the 360 to switch targets? Right now I have to mash right stick and hope it locks me on to the right guy, and the manual doesn't mention target switching at all.
Mash? I just pull it backward slightly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Wise Teen posted:

So people keep saying the pendant does plot stuff. I took the pendant, but what does it actually do that I wouldn't see otherwise?
I heard that it has to do with a pygmy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nigulus Rex posted:

Where can I get a -100% shield?
They just mean a "Physical: 100" shield. Check the item stats, they're fairly common. Hollow spear guys drop them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The more humanity you have, the better items and better item drop percentage you receive from monsters.

Humanity is also used to upgrade your chosen Covenant
Yeah you get like 20% bonus to loot drops for every point of humanity you have above "alive" (which is sort of zero)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

I never played Demon, but like the other poster, I guess run. He is on the other side now, ugh.
The dragon is weird because he's somewhat unpredictable about how often/early he breathes after that initial surprise attack. You can edge easily halfway to the downstairs hatch and he might never move, but the next time he might breath on you twice in the space of time it takes to sprint there, naked.

Just try it, retreat, heal, try again.
I never got one-shotted by the fire, and I only had like 10 or 11 vitality (570ish, hitpoints).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

Wait, am I only supposed to get to the stairs to shortcut my bon fire?
That's also the way to progress. Just be diligent about finding the shortcut before moving forward on the underside of the bridge. :D

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

InfiniteZero posted:

Will this game just needlessly frustrate me or is it still worth my while? It looks really fun, but if I'm just going to hit a wall after playing for half an hour, I'll skip it.

I got more frustrated when I forgot to save for an hour in Rage and then died during a boss-fight, yesterday.

But I did get lost for a couple hours and end up backtracking a long ways and losing lots of souls too (which are, frankly, and unlimited renewable resource anyway), so YMMV. v:shobon:v

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

Welp, break time, then I shall hit the parishes. I got close to taking out that metal boar, but I got cornered and squashed after I fell off throwing firebombs on it.
The boar is laughably easy if you hide in the pillars on the right, by the stairs that lead up toward the archers. You can stand behind that flame, then tap B to backstep once and he'll get caught in the posts, and burn himself a ton. Rinse, repeat!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

big duck equals goose posted:

Master key can be gifted and it's not fun to miss a parry leading to a 90%health drop for early game. Ask my new thief about getting stun locked to death every five seconds.
You don't have to parry, you can hold your shield up with LB and stab from behind it with a rapier or spear. When you're low on stamina, roll away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

Boy oh boy! I sure am glad they kept that awesome move in the game where you bounce back two feet for no reason when you hit the O button! It's not like it's a stupid useless counter intuitive prompt that lets you get rear end raped when you try to run or anything. It's awesome cause you can't already do that effectively by just hitting back+O, so i really appreciate it. Thanks From! I wasn't trying to kill that armored boar. I was just trying to get him down to a sliver of life and let him stick his tusks up my rear end in a top hat.
Why are you holding back when you hit the back-step button? It's actually called that. Also, using backstep then quickly attacking does different attacks, and gives bonus souls for killing a dude with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ah okay, thanks guys! So one more stupid question - what ways are there to get humanity? I know there are items that grant it - I've found a few already - but I sometimes notice I just randomly have a point in it, after not having used any items. Is this also a result of other players upgrading the same bonfire I'm using?
I noticed that I get more humanity more often when I do "special" kills, like parry->riposte, or dodge->counterrattack, or backstabs.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Crowbear posted:

Welp I know what weapon I want for dicking around purposes.

Dragon Bone Fist: 135 base damage, A scaling for STR, raises your magic and fire defense, and a special note.

:stare:

I'm gonna go around and loving shoryuken some monsters.
Yeah I want to try an unarmed playthrough at some point :D

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nigulus Rex posted:

So I haven't experienced any of the online play other than tips and seeing people's bloodstains/ghosts fighting stuff. Is this because I've been hallowed the whole time? Also I have 2 items that will give me a humanity but that's it, and I haven't found any more. I don't want to use it and then die and lose it without being able to get more. I just don't know how to go about it. But I'd like to start doing the whole invading/helping people stuff.
You can get humanity shards off rats, and you get "liquid" humanity off random kills and stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Finally killed Havel, that douchebag.. Took a +5 spear and 2 lightning things (which I wasted during the attempts) and then I finally got a clue and just chipped away at him and occasionally nailed him with firebombs and backstabs.

I'm getting SICK of being summoned by pubbies who have no idea what's going on though; I've been boxed into a hallway with the host behind me and they didn't know how to heal SO many goddamned times.. :argh:

Am I crazy? I always carry 50 throwing knives and 50 firebombs. I love finishing off fencing knights and poo poo with a throwing knife while they're in riposte mode.. Also I found that if you stay below those guys on a staircase, their riposte move will miss you every time!

DeathSandwich posted:

No more *affordable* arrows until you ring both bells and clear out another area.
I bought like 500 of the cheap arrows, used 100 to kill that 1 legged demon by the parish blacksmith (if you stay behind a certain piece of scenery his bolts all splash against it and you can fire over it.. Easy money!) I love cheap pull ammo though. :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Created a sorcerer because I'd not tried any magic poo poo yet, and plus I really, REALLY want to get a boar helm so I'm going to keep making characters until one of them gets that loving helm.. :arghfist::(

Where/when can I get more spells? What's the damage of sorcery spells based on? I've mostly been putting points into my physical stats right now so I could wear a hollow shield and wield a winged spear.

Also I figured out that you can kill the one-legged demon pat the parish blacksmith easily, if you've got 100-150 arrows and a short bow.. When you enter the room, move forward and left (about 10 or 11 o'clock from the entryway) and there's a pile of rubble you can stand behind, that will block his blasts.. Your arrows sail over the rubble when you've locked on to him, and he'll never, ever move position, just keep firing bolts at you like a tool. (I got sick of trying to melee him down.)

Finally, ho do i deal with those big golem dudes in the forest? One of them cast some sort of godawful slow-down spell on me, and I couldn't do a loving thing about it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Talran posted:

I know some bonfires that are getting upgrades for no reason! :3
After learning the early areas better, there really are very few times that there's a need to upgrade a bonfire at all. For instance in parish if you can handle the Mace knight, it's a simple matter to go down to fire shrine and fill up on estus and then come back up top.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Welp.

Just lost 5 humanity and 10k souls because my controller batteries died.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do the geckos stay dead in this game like they did in 1?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So a small trick I just learned last night that nobody else mentioned... If you chug an Estus flask, you can keep hitting the button and drink more than one during that same animation.

Maybe this is super obvious and everybody else knew it already except me, but there it is.

• Locked thread