Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Aaargh the Taurus Demon is pissing me off. I understand you're supposed to repeatedly plunge attack him but I keep getting stuck in him and his vague hitboxes can go to hell.

After the plunge attack, I ran between its legs to the opposite end of the walkway, and ran through its legs again when it started its attack. You can do the plunge attack four times to kill it without being hit this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Is there any protection for controller disconnects for the 360? (I'm guessing no).

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I killed the gargoyles first time today and got the axe that one of them drops. After ringing the bell, I went back through the Undead Burg to get some souls to level up, and ended up getting killed by the rats under the dragon knocking me off the ledge. Then I got disconnected from xbox live, which resets the game. :suicide:

The elite knight armour is really cool. I found it, and died. But I never used heavy armour in Demon's Souls. The enemies seem a bit more wary of the brute force rush in this game, so I've had to learn the sword/magic & shield style which isn't fancy, but it works much better than expected.

I wanted to try duel wielding again but for whatever reason I'm not able to wield anything other than my starting hand axe.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Rolling through ragdolls so you bicycle kick them rules.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

The club is awesome at backstabs. It feels like if you're behind the enemy, it'll hit one.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Where's the best place to go after ringing the first bell? The catacombs kills me, the butterfly kills me and the ghosts kill me.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Nechronic posted:

Go back to the Dragon Bridge, close to where you met Solaire there is a door you should be able to unlock with a key found at the Parish. If you didn't get the key it's close to the inner gate, near the switch.

Thanks.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Is there a way to beat the Carpa Demon with magic/heavy armour? I've got pyromancy on my left hand and soul arrow/hand axe on my right. The heavy armour slowdown means I can't even avoid his first hit when he runs from his spot. :argh:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Xvimic posted:

I'd stick a shield on left too, why not? Also, there is no reason to be married to heavy armor, keep a set of stuff that keeps you below %50 and %25, no reason not to. This is dark souls, sometimes you have to be adaptive.

Shields are absolutely lifesavers, get some endurance, strap one on and never take it off in my opinion.

I forgot to mention, the knight's shield is my alt left hand equip.

I got the impression you just need to go toe-to-toe with him because wearing light armour doesn't really improve my mobility.

E: I should say mobility isn't really the issue against him. Just that he wrecks me the second I get into the arena.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Getting cursed really put a stop to me being able to tank enemies. :argh:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I trawled through the basement into the sewer, hoping to kill off all of the curse frogs. Is the butcher in the basement supposed to respawn because I killed him twice but then he disappeared after that. Good riddance anyway.

Had a load of fun killing stuff in the sewer including the generic invader, who caught me fighting a *giant* giant rat. I got up to 10,000 souls and must've spent about half an hour alive WHICH FELT AMAZING. I opened the shortcut and saved for the night, but now I'm so excited about venturing on rather than thinking I'm going to be grinding out souls to upgrade my armour or something.

Also saved the pyromancer and upgraded my fire fist to level 6 or so. Awesome.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Pash posted:

He does not respawn, there are just 2 of them.

Makes sense. The second one managed to kill me a couple of times because I missed one of the dogs which stunlocked me enough for him to drop his knife down on me. :argh:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I am tired of being an endurance-focused medium-weight fighter wearing leathers (because that's the best armor I've found despite 0 poise). Can someone point me at a better set of armor I could get to, suicide run or no, as a SL20 rocking a drakesword and a +5 hollow shield/+5 spear?

The most recent boss I took down was Gaping Dragon, so I think I'm up to BlightTown, New Londo, or... *shudder*... the Catacombs place with the scary screaming skulls and reviving skeletons.

I gather I could have grabbed Hard Leathers during the Gaping Dragon fight, but they seemed to not be there after we'd taken him down (?).

Elite Knight Armour in the forest? Just before the butterfly.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Does the giant crow do anything? I don't want to harm it because it looks cool but it just sits above that pool all the time.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Thanks for the crow stuff. Off to do stuff with the crow now.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Ledneh posted:

Are you guys talking a bout two handing those giant sons of guns? Even with the power of poise on our side I can't even imagine going without a shield :psyduck:

With two handed style, you can tank most enemies before they get a chance to do anything. :v:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I've fought the gaping dragon twice, and both times it's managed to one shot me by walking besides my character at melee range. :stare:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Did the knight in the golden armour kill the saint while I was away fighting demons? :stare:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I've kind-of run into a dead end where my equipment just doesn't seem that great for my level. I'm at 36, but still using the Drake Sword, and my best shield is a +2 crest shield. I swap between Eastern Armour or and the Shadow Armour and my Pyromancy Flame is at +10, so those are okay. Just my weapon and shield aren't too great and it feels like I haven't seen anything decent for a long time.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Is there an exit out of Quelaag's lair? I found her sister and can go into the Demon Ruins but don't want to trek back through Blighttown to get back.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Is there a guide to creating weapons anywhere? The wiki doesn't seem to be too helpful.

I can make a +5 regular weapon and a Divine Weapon, but I've got the titanite that says it can create a +10 weapon, etc but never get the option to use them on anything.

E: also, is there a shortcut to the swamp in Blighttown?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I had two really weird deaths by the gaping demon where it walking past me had my character get caught inbetween its leg and the uneven floor and get instantly dying. I thought it was a weird bug that happened once and I could laugh it off, but it happened twice in a row.

A similar thing happened in Blighttown where one of the ragdolls got caught on a ladder and it ended up dragging me a thousand feet below.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Jetpack Postman posted:

You need to give the blacksmith a better ember before he can ascend your weapon from +5 to +6 (it's considered a completely different tier of upgrades despite being in the same line). You should find it in the chest near where you found the first butcher on your way to the Depths.

There IS a shortcut to the swamp in Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes. From the elevator you can take down nearby the lake with the Hydra in it in the Darkmoon Gardens, go left past the Undead Dragon and you should eventually hit a large cave. Through there, you can find a waterwheel/elevator that can take you down to the Swamps. Not really a shortcut, but it's probably the only other alternate path to the swamp.

That's weird, because I've done that and there isn't an option to go any higher than plus 5. :suicide:

Thanks for the shortcut tip. Even if it isn't a proper shortcut, it isn't running through Blighttown again. :v:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

The path to Ornstein and Smough is really annoying. The knights aren't too bad to fight, but they always manage to get one good hit or I resort to fireballing them, using up too many of my resources. :argh:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Holy poo poo, I thought I'd try out parrying with my left fist and got it first time.

I do run through all of the knights but they tend to catch me up, or get a hit from behind as I've got past them. I'm wearing Havel's armour, so my character is pretty slow. I can't swap sets during the fog wall transition for the two bosses.

E: I've got the shortcut too, so I only run through four of them, but they still manage to get me.

Do the big knights respawn too?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

What's the Souvenir of Reprisal?

Also, what happened to the original Black Knight class? Was it just an overpowered one for people to use during expo demos?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Does anyone know how many arrows it takes to kill the poisonous dragon in the Valley of the Drakes?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Crowbear posted:

No way to tell because it depends on your bow, type of arrows, and your DEX but he has 3480 health fwiw.

Or you could be a man and stab him in his stupid undead face :colbert:

I'm at level 6, so don't think going toe-to-toe with it will help me out too much. :v:

Thank though. I'm guessing that's about 250 arrows with 15 dexterity. :stare:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Ornstein and Smough are two tough guys to fight.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Houdini posted:

Ornstein and Smough are two tough guys to fight.

I tanked the fat one first and then the lion-headed guy one shots me with a lightning trick. What do I do to kill him as well?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Is there a quick way out of Ash Lake or do I have to go back through the tree and Blighttown?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

What do the copper, silver and gold coins do?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Roguelike posted:

Frampt will eat them for a few thousand souls each.

Seems too obvious. :stare: Thanks.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I'm having a "one step forward, two steps back" dilemma with Ornstein and Smough. Every few fights, I'll kill one and get the other down to about one or two hits left, but never manage to win. Then for the next few, their AI will significantly improve as well as hitting me with their hardest (seeming unavoidable attacks) at the same time, twice in a row.

I tend to kill Ornstein first because he seems easier. It takes four hits of the butterfly shield to take him out, but I can never avoid Smough's running attack which manages to home in on me whatever I do. And he'll do it twice in a row without me getting the chance to recover. :argh:

Ramagamma posted:

Well goodbye Dark Souls. I've enjoyed some of my time with you, but been left mostly angry and frustrated at my own lack of patience, time and skill. Arkham City is out today and with the imposing challenge of a mortgage looming on the horizon I'm going to have to be sensible and start trading in games rather than keeping in my collection for the hopeful gloom of a rainy day.

I hope to get back to Dark Souls. Hopefully I'll pick it up cheaply a year or two down the line but for now its difficult to justify keeping a game like Dark Souls when there is such a packed Christmas schedule this year.

Potential for being a fantastic game. I hate to say it as black and white as this but its just too difficult to be entertaining.

:bunt:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Is the only way to get humanity to farm rats? gently caress that.

You can only buy humanity once from the merchant in the sewer apparently. :negative:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Boosh! posted:

Baby skeletons right before Nito in the Tomb of the Giants. Word of advice: farm what you need if you have a goal (30 humanity to get my dark set for instance). Once you beat Nito, to get back to that farm spot you'll need to trudge through the Catacombs and the Tomb again.

Thanks. Never been there though. :v:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

The Lower New Londo Ruins is slimier than anything on the Unreal Engine. :stare:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

If you leave a message by a female NPC saying "need head" "imminent tail" or "amazing chest" then you're pretty much guaranteed a like.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

The Duke's Archive started off cool but it gets boring fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I had a pretty good run today:

Beat the tree guy by breaking its balls and then killing an insect living inside it(?)

Killed the Four Kings by smashing him up with my +5 Claymore that I made especially for him.

Found the Disney Princess armour.

Also, can you do that slide-down trick that enemies can do on ladders?

• Locked thread