Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of humanity, I just beat the Capra demon with a little help from someone I summoned, and now that I'm in the sewers I noticed That I have 5 solid humanity and a twin humanity just from killing things there. It seems you get more as you go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love this game, but I just lost the 25k souls I got from the gaping dragon, though it was to my own stupidity. Is there a "quick" way to get at least 20k of those back, such as killing a boss that I haven't killed yet? I'm a warrior using a +3 Longsword and the shield that adds stamina from the forest, and I've killed the Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra, and Gaping Dragon.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Smelly posted:

Okay, so I killed a grand total of 7 before I got bored and jumped off a cliff, people REALLY suck at PVP.

Those guys probably aren't players, those are part of the forest covenant, it tells you if you're being invaded.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zebrasectomy posted:

Good to hear about the boss soul drops!

By the way, am I ever going to be able to sell gear and if so, how far away am I from it ( Just beat the Moonlit Butterfly. )? I've picked up every single item since I've started and haven't dropped a single thing and now my inventory is a mess of moss and broken swords.

You'll get to sell stuff after ringing both bells, though it's not worth much, still good to clean out your inventory.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

How are you supposed to fight the hydra? It snipes you if you come at it then at close range its shots home in and one shot you.

If you get close enough he should attack you with his heads, which you can slice off one by one, though he may still sometimes shoot you still.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is the only way to get the Dark Wood Grain ring killing Shiva and breaking your covenant?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shalinor posted:

If I don't really care about PVP so much as co-op / MP period, and just want to improve my odds of seeing another human in the game, will this strategy work?

- Go Way of the White first, so that when I drop a stone, I've got better odds of finding someone
- Go Way of the Dragon, because dammit, a Pyromancer + their special ability would be totally awesome
- Go back to Way of the White (or maybe that Sun one) once I'm done with Dragon

I've been avoiding Way of the White because I'm unclear if that'll somehow lock me out of the Dragon later. I also kind of like the Way of the Dragon's invasions better - black phantoming is fun sometimes, but I'd feel like less of a dick if it was people summoning me for a duel.

As far as I know going Way of the White doesn't lock you out of the Dragon, I've tried out pretty much every covenant except the Dark Blade or whatever and had no problems.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Can I upgrade my fire glove thing.

Yeah, you have to save the pyromancer guy in the Depths first though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally got back to playing this game, and somehow killed O&S the first time. I've come to the conclusion that I've only died 13 times on bosses, yet have died hundreds of times on normal enemies. This doesn't make sense to me in the slightest.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Dark Souls is really a 2-player co-op game. The first player plays the game using a ps3 controller and shouts phrases like "Please Google Blue Titanite Chunks" to the second player, who plays the game using a laptop and darksouls.wikidot.com.

That's exactly what my roommate did when he played the game, worked pretty well really. I just would have my laptop open to the wiki while playing something else and would search for him when needed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Those arrow guys are both the funniest and most annoying enemies I faced in the game. While it was hilarious to go flying off the edge, it also got really annoying that I could sprint up the bridge and still get hit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EC posted:

Why did this game kick me out of a play session just because I lost connection to XBL? I had to quit anyway, so I haven't had a chance to load back in and see what I lost.

My precious souls! :(

You probably didn't lose anything, it saves after every enemy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Alright, I'm :siren: STARTING A LIST OF GAMERTAGS :siren:
Quote this post if you want me to add you and list your system and gt. That way you can just add/message somebody there if you want assistance (you can still do it in the thread but it won't be as frequent). I'll keep editing this post as more people add it.

GOON DARK SOULS
code:
Xbox                                               Playstation3
CasualResonance (Rembrandt)                        GarlicDalek (Chard)
Awesome Animals (Awesome Animals)                  JesseJames314 (Jesse James)
Fifteen of Many (Fifteen of Many)
Day Man (Frago Bren)
GhostHunterTed (Stokes)

You can put me on the list with GT Ronagathor on Xbox.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally got my guy that's using Black Knight Greataxe +5 and/or Lightning Zwei past Nito, Seathe and the Four Kings. I killed the four kings before I had the Greataxe, and had quite a bit of trouble with them. Was there an easier way to kill them than to try to dodge their attacks? I pretty much just brute forced my way past them. I may actually beat the game with this guy, because I killed all of those on my own.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally beat the game today, and I was surprised at what the Bed ended up being, and disappointed at how easy it was to kill Gwyn.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm loving NG+, I killed the Asylum Demon when he first dropped down, and killed the Taurus Demon in two hits. I like that even normal enemies are actually really dangerous, and how I'm not able to just swing my axe over and over like I was able to near the end of the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Just started this after getting used to and enjoying Demon's Souls pretty thoroughly (up to Flame Lurker). This game is in it's own league, the Skeletons at the very start of the game are loving DESTROYING me, I think I should reroll as a knight or something.

I'd suggest not going down to the skeletons quite yet, they can be pretty tough at the beginning of the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are the Hellkite dragon's attacks blockable on NG+? I thought I'd take care of him this playthrough, but I can't seem to even get near him before he fire slides into me and kills me instantly.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Hellkite gets a disproportionately huge power boost in NG+, it seems. In a first playthrough it's got somewhere around 1500 HP, I think. In NG+, it's over 10,000. Most people don't even bother killing it.

In that case, can I still walk on the right side of the bridge without fear of getting toasted so I can get the claymore which I didn't get last game?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't understand how I can kill Capra and O&S the first time on any characters I try them on, but I always have a ton of trouble with Queelag, and no trouble on Gwyn, which is the opposite of what most people have.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I need two more boss phantom assists to get my faith needed to a level I can join the Sunbro covenant. Will I be able to find someone to help at SL99 or should I just wait until another playthrough to get the miracles from the covenant and the achievement for the covenant?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Praise the sun!! :sun:

Thanks very much for that!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Any tips for getting Seathe's tail in NG+ with the black knight greataxe? I get stunlocked by the tail every time I go for it, and any tips would be appreciated.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just got the last achievement in the game that I didn't have. Is it bad that I've been playing since the day the game came out and I just want to play it some more?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

not a dinosaur posted:

Can I ask why people still play this game so much? It blew my mind when it first came out (I never played Demon Souls), but after I beat it I didn't see much reason to play anymore. Is PvP that much more popular than it was at release? Is there a ton of postgame content that nobody knew about at the time? What's the deal?

In my opinion NG+ is a completely new game instead of just your same character playing again. That's what keeps me coming back, along with the PvP.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of gimmick runs, how viable is an unarmed/cestus run? I know it's probably beatable, but do you do any kind of reasonable damage?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EC posted:

My Maneater Mildred gimmick has been fun so far. Kicked one dude off the ledge who was obviously away from the controller, but I gave him enough chances to come back. One really high level dude had apparently never seen Lloyd's Talismans used, as I hit him with three or four throughout the fight, backstabbing him every time he'd try to flask. It took four backstabs at 600 damage each, but I finally got him down. 250k souls for that one!

Of course, I've had two invasions where I spawn and almost instantly "TARGET DESTROYED" shows up on the screen. Invariably I will get indicted for these. :D

I'm kind of torn on what rings to use. I've got RoFaP, and thinking either Wolf or Hornet.

Edit: of course right after I posted this I invaded a Giants/Mothers/BKGA who TWOPped me as soon as he saw me. Oh well!

Edit2: chased this dude down to the very first ladder. I was going up it and he was going down. By reflex I start hitting him, and I learned something new about Dark Souls: You can knock people off ladders!!! He fell off, and died when he hit the bottom. :allears:

That ladder guy was my friend as he was playing while I was helping him out with learning the game, I think. It was hilarious, as he just kind of stared at the screen for a bit afterwards.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

I get the feeling that stripping down and having a dung pie fight would be the best thing ever. I'm sure someone else gave it a shot, any trip reports?

The most fun I've had with PvP is going around with the giant hat armor you can grab in the Painted World, and throwing dung pies at people, and when they get close running away or flipping away because of my ring.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This was just posted on the Dark Souls Facebook page a few minutes ago;

also this

This specific collectors edition is exclusive to PC.

I don't really want the game for the PC, but I want everything that comes with the collector's edition. First world problems :smith:.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How much Dexterity do I need to get for a dexterity build with Uchigatana to get the most out of its scaling? I'm enjoying this dex run much more than my strength run I had for achivements.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

About 40. Depends on your other goals, really, but with an uchi maybe you'd want like 36 int (out whatever it is) for CMW plus some vit/end.

I've raised my int to 15 I think, I thought CMW scaled based on the catalyst so I was going to just get my int to 25 for CMW. Of course, you're probably just talking about the requirement for CMW anyway.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nahxela posted:

It's based off of the catalyst's Magic Adjust, which, for most catalysts, is based on your Int stat.

Ah, all right. That means I just need to raise my int and vitality to be good, as my end is 40 and so is my dex. I'll probably raise attunement to 12 for the second slot as well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

There's a glitch I use every time in the Catacombs to have the wheel skeletons just fall through the world. Couldn't that be considered cheating?

No, but I would like to know what glitch that is.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Right in the entrance near the skeleton archers at the very bottom there's a little passageway before heading into that arena proper. Agro one of the wheel skeletons and back up towards that passage way. With luck they'll trace the rockwall and hit a little nook that causes them to fall straight through the world.

Edit: The area I'm talking about is right after where the last Necromancer is.

I know what you're talking about now, I think I had one go through last time I played the catacombs, but now I know it's reproducible.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

This is what you really meant. It's what we all want. I would become a Darkwraith and condemn the world to a new age of Darkness for this. She just wants to be a good dog to her master :smith:

When she starts limping I just want to stop attacking her. She can't even swing the sword :smith:.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Goddamn, Four Kings take none of your poo poo in New Game+. I'd hate to see them on NG++.

Let's just say that you'll probably die in two hits if you're not careful. I finally beat them on my strength build with a BKGA, but just barely. I don't think I'll be doing a NG+++ with that guy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Maremidon posted:

Seath is down, gonna tackle New Londo tomorrow. Anyone have any tips for the sunken city? I assume I should go down to the Depths and get cursed by the Basilisks first.

Or you could get a few transient curses, there's some in the beginning of New Londo, and you can also buy some. There's no real reason to get cursed for real.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EC posted:

360 dudes wanting to mule up: As soon as buzz hooks one person up, that person will be expected to be hook up two other people. Those two people will need to hook another two up, and so on it goes until we get everyone that's interested.

Keep in mind that it takes a long time of button pressing to drop everything and pick it up. Something like 2 or 3 hours. The way it works is:

- You need be SL1 and have nothing in your inventory.
- You will be summoned by the mule in the Burg. You will go through the fog door, up the ladder, and to the area with the two crossbow carrying undead. Here you won't be invaded, but you don't aggro the boss.
- The mule will start dropping stuff, and you will pick up stuff as fast as possible.
- After it's done you will need to put everything you just picked up into your Bottomless Box. It will take awhile.
- Use the Bottomless Box glitch to copy all of those items to a new build.
- Take the new build through the Burg, then spend an hour or so moving items from the BB to your inventory.
- Summon a goon and spend another couple of hours dropping gear.

Because it takes so long, if you just want consumables I'll be more than happy to help you out. If you don't feel like you want or need every single weapon or armor set in the game, then please don't take a bunch of people's times by taking them anyway. If you just want 99+1 of stuff so you can dupe it yourself and get weapons/armor/rings on your own time, it takes way less time.

Edit: to make this somewhat organized, add your SA name and Gamertag to the spreadsheet below. Once you've been muled, you'll be able to find more goons here to hook up. Spreadsheet

I've already got all of the weapons and armor, so do I need to add my name to that spreadsheet or do something else if I just want hard souls and humanity? I'd imagine that wouldn't take too long compared to normal, and I'd be happy to send the souls and humanity to others if needed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EC posted:

Add your name to the sheet and put "consumables only" in the third column.

All right, I added my name. If I'm online I'm probably available for it, I'll get on now and get a SL1 guy up to the bottomless box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I love the dragon butts, because 150+ hours into the game I haven't even seen one. What can I say, Chaos Servant struck a chord with me. :darksouls:

I keep saying I'll go into there the normal way, but then I get confused by the butts and decide to go the shortcut.

• Locked thread