Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

Any of you guys who picked up the game early in New York? I've called around a bunch of places and can't seem to find anyone willing to break the street date. :iiam:

I want to die ASAP.

Not NYC but Rochester Game Crazys seem to be breaking street date!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fizzil posted:

why does the game freeze alot, i'm on the ps3 and it ruined a boss fight i almost finished, it seems whenever the game gets very busy the ps3 farts and hard locks the game, keep in mind this is a really fresh 320 ps3 slim i bought like a week ago.

I haven't had one freeze yet, ~20 hours in. 120 gb slim ps3 I think? Only some slowdown at times. Are you sure you. Got the 1.3 or whatever patch it asks you to do on boot? That was supposed to be to correct freezing issues, right?

e;fb

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

TangerineDream posted:

drat it, you can't draw humanity from the same enemies, once you kill an enemy and drain their humanity and they respawn you can't leech anymore. Goddamn it

You can, but I think it's limited to the same free 10 liquid you get killing enemies before the boss is dead. I ground out on Dark Anor Londo NPCs up to about 7, then not another drop.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

TangerineDream posted:

so if I kill the boss in an area, they won't respawn with full humanity to leech? drat. I only have lost tomb of the giants left as my last boss area :qq:

Not exactly, it's my understanding (from reading the thread here) that each area has 10 "floating" humanity that you can absorb. Before you kill the boss, you will occasionally get it from killing mobs, after you kill the boss you can suck it from certain NPCs with the dark hand.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

StringOfLetters posted:

That would be pretty cool, but I don't think it's entirely accurate, and not everywhere has hand-able NPCs anyhow.

However, most friendly NPCs have humanity you can suck out of them. It's a finite, non-replenishing supply per NPC. Some(Siegmeyer, Solaire) don't go hostile until you've hit them a lot, in which case you can go back to a bonfire after a lifesuck and come back a few times to drain them while staying friends and finishing their side-quests. Others (Rhea) will go hostile immediately, but have so much humanity on them (like twelve) that you'll need to hit up a bonfire once or twice to avoid killing her before she's out of humanity.

I guess I didn't strictly mean NPCs, "human" enemies (like forest protector enemies, and the Dark Anor Londo guardians) seem to draw from the same limited pool when you. There might not be a post-boss option in every area?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Scoobi posted:

I dunno, I feel like the revive mechanic has to be somehow canon. They are of course, UNDEAD, so they cannot be killed easily. And the idea of the bonfires and solid humanity. I think that undead will just keep reviving, until going hollow (no more life inside) and that is your final death.

It is canon, and it's in the dark sign item description. Something about when you die, the dark sign returns you to the last bonfire you rested at. Maybe it's something like the lord vessel warp... Using the power of the dark soul perhaps? (the dark soul platinum trophy is of the dark sign, I think?)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress it. Skip the Drake Sword unless you're going for achievements.

The game is much more fun without it.

This is totally not true for a first time player. If you're struggling in the Burg and the Parish the drake sword will make things bearable through blighttown.

Does the blacksmith down at New Londo sell arrows now? If not, the undead woman in the aqueduct does now.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Red Crown posted:

Is there any way to get to the boulder switch room in Sen's Fortress without being hit at least once? It's always the last run up to the room that gets me. I'm usually literally 2 or 3 steps away from safety and then it hits me.

The safest way, of course, is not to go that route - follow the boulder down and meet a friend, then ride the elevator up.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

EC posted:

I have done this three times and he still winds up dead in Ash Lake every time. I have to do it again on this playthrough so hopefully I'll figure out the 'right' way to do it.

Dead in Ash Lake is the best possible ending for him :( if you get the slab, you've done it right.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Read posted:

You also lose ALL your slabs, so use them before you finish.

As it was said above, this is completely wrong. NG+++++ on my first char and every time he kept his slabs.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

EC posted:

Where are you farming? I ran those two Channeler's in the Archives probably 10 or 15 times before I got it.

That's pure luck, it's got one of the lowest drop rates of any item in the game. When I was working on plat I had to grind those two for about 3-4 hours before I got one, with stacks of liquid humanity and serpent ring.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

MZ posted:

2. Without creating new areas, where exactly would these bosses go?

I think it's pretty simple, create new areas. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, those look a lot like darkroot garden, so maybe these have something to do with that "forest of darkness" (was that it?) name that From trademarked a while back.

I don't remember anywhere in darkroot that could be easily branched off? Maybe it'll have some sort of painting like mystical entrance?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Deflection is based purely on what type of shield it is ie. greatshield, standard or small, with the iron round shield as the only exception I know of.

Stability serves to make shields more stamina efficient.

I don't exactly think that's right - Artorias' greatshield deflects a lot more often than an eagle shield, and they have similar stability, and are both greatshields. There's more to it / some sort of hidden stat like Havel's stamina regen reduction.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's bonfires that are linked to convents, I believe.

It is fire keeper bonfires and this. It explains why there are some odd choices (ash lake and sunlight altar), and even why you can warp back to nito - he's got a covenant even though you can't get to the bonfire until after you kill him. There's literally nothing available in that room (minus the set of armor) and no way out of the room, except by warping. It's just fire keepers and covenants.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nahxela posted:

Apparently you can also kick him off the bridge?

Sometimes he'll just... jump off during the fight if you get him in the right spot. It happened to me on my first playthrough, I felt a little bummed out because he was down to a sliver of life too! I feel like a kick wouldn't push him very far.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

actionjackson posted:

I just heard that the damage bosses do is scaled to your soul level. Is this true?

No. The only scaling the game whatsoever are +++'s on NG+

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Chard posted:

You can fight Gwyndolin if you slay the Boob Princess, but you won't be able to join his covenant. Doesn't sound like you care though, although I'm not quite clear why you want her dead, since you're playing offline.

It does clear out a lot of the enemies in the area. It replaces all the weird gargoyles and huge knights with just two "human" protectors in the main hall, that each drop tons of souls.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fibby Boy posted:

Today I discovered that no, Iron Flesh does not stop Dragonslayer Arrows. If anything it causes you to get knocked back even harder. Not once in 4 playthroughs have I gotten past those archers in Anor Londo without losing all my souls and humanity. It's like they demand a toll before they allow me to finally pass.

You've gotta be on low encumbrance fast run (with a high stability shield if you can), so you outpace where the arrows are aimed. You can make it to the middle pillar where you're safe for a minute to catch your breath. Then go around the right edge and fast run up to the building.

Then comes the dangerous part - go to the right quickly and try to get into the knights face, because once you're there he'll put away his arrows and pull out his sword and you can kick him off. Also the left knight can't hit you from there. Getting there though, is very dangerous - the big trick is that when you're shot you fly back based on the angle you're facing - not where the arrow comes from. If you're like my and you instinctually face towards the wall so you don't fall off, getting shot will launch you right back. You have to manage your direction so the recoil will send you back against the wall.

And that is how I make it through there every time B)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

TheMostFrench posted:

I never knew keeping a shield on your back contributed to your resistances, that's good to know!

I don't know about resistances but I always do that figt with a grass crest shield on my back for stamina regen. I two hand BKGA and go nuts, that fight is a pure DPS race more than anything else. This worked well on my strength char up to NG+5 or so.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

King Chicken posted:

Even beyond the retina burning glare from the lava, those dragon butts in Lost Izalith are ridiculously hard to target with either magic or melee. By the time I target one it leaps and breaks lock, assuming it doesn't leap before I can even get that close. Once it lands, the camera shits out and surviving seems to be a crap shot.

Outside of endlessly pulling the stupid things to terrain they get caught it, the only reliable way to get through there I've found is to run like hell and avoid that poo poo altogether. Running usually costs me a few Rings of Sacrifice though.

I thought every other end game area was fine. The Crystal Caves were kind of annoying, but tolerable. The Dukes Archives, Catacombs and the Tomb of Giants were fun.

Don't lock on to them! Hit their legs, and when they jump, carefully take a few steps back, and put up your shield!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nahxela posted:

In addition to what was already suggested, I'd go around getting all the notable stray items/chests. One in particular is Avelyn in Duke Archives, which you have to fall from a spinning staircase onto a bookshelf to grab.

This isn't necessary for platinum, just for the record.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Chard posted:

Wait, what? Care to explain this method? Or do you just mean "run away until Bleed goes down"?

I just googled it after reading that, looks like the gist is to time the invincibility frames in a roll for when the bleed triggers. Seems a bit scary to me!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

AgentJotun posted:

So I recently bought a PS3. I loved playing Dark Souls on 360. Probably my game of the year for 2011. Would it be worth going back to play Demon Souls? Or should I get through a few of the other PS3 classic games first?

Definitely play demons souls sooner than later - it's server based multiplayer run by atlas, which they are only keeping up as long as there's interest in the game. That's not going to last forever so if you want to experience the game with phantoms and messages, play it before its too late. It's a great game too, I love them both (I platinumed dark souls) and while it is less polished in some ways, I would argue that it's got a better atmosphere than dark souls does. The tower of latria is terrifying! You'll also recognize a lot of enemy moves, the silver / black knights in dark souls use the same moves as the blue and red eye knights, the fat demons use the vanguards moves.

So - in short - yes! Play demons souls while you still can! :)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Jsor posted:

Apparently the trigger isn't just 30 humanity, it's 30 humanity THEN beat a boss (any boss). At least the wiki sez.

It's already been said but this is wrong. It's 30 humanity. You'll know because it'll tell you you've hit max rank. If you haven't gotten that dialogue box you haven't given enough yet. I've done it on every char.

The nice thing is, once you hit NG+ and higher, you don't have to re-pay! Just rejoin, and even though your covenant level will have dropped, you'll still be able to open the shortcut.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

gwaaargh posted:

This is a good idea. I'll see how long it takes! Only 9 to go :unsmith:

It will take forever! But it's the best way... especially at ~SL120 or so, back pre-patch. :(

It will be most effective if you keep trying to do the covenant while killing the birds... that might be a bit easier these days, but might still take an hour or two? Maybe a little more? I think I got an ear once every... 3 or 4 runs? That also might be optimistic :)

Good luck!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

X23 posted:

I don't get why they had to put in GFWL, they could have easily done the multiplayer through steam. I understand that they weren't able to add extra resolutions and uncapped FPS, although I've never heard of a 3d PC game not having that, I thought it was something easy to implement. I'm sure fans will fix it though. GFWL is pretty annoying and unnecessary though, I haven't had any significant problems with it, it's just annoying.

They didn't put anything "in" - they already had the 360 netcode, which even uses the same user accounts as GFWL. Does Steam do multiplayer? Maybe as part of Steamworks... but whether they would have been able to use that, or would have had to roll their own new netcode, it would have been vastly more effort.

GFWL is the only, obvious, choice.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

tractor fanatic posted:

I've never managed to get to that archer by blocking his shots. The arrows invariably bounce me off the ledge.

You've got to turn in the scariest possible direction while on the ledge - as you get shot you get bounced to your back, not in the direction of the shot. So instead of turning towards the wall to hang on, you have to either face flat along the wall (and get knocked onto the ledge when he hits you) or turn away from the wall, out into the air, so you get knocked back into the wall.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The pendant's description text is no longer broken to be the Sunlight Medal's, either.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I figured out I can equip RoFAP, Havel's Ring, Mask of the Father, and still have 8.2 weight to play around with for fast roll. This basically means 0 poise though :I I can get just under the limit with Gold Hemmed equipment and nothing else, so at least I'll still look cool while I get stunlocked to death.

Just a heads up - there's some more nerfs, the mask of the father most noticeably. On the PC, MotF, RoFAP, Havels Ring, Greatshield and BKGA - all at 40 Endurance with light armor (sealers armor seems better than Gold Hemmed now?) and I only get mid roll.

I don't want to do without my shield or my axe, so I'm trying out a mid roll build :/ it actually does open up a ton of armor sets that I'd never have considered using before.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Angry Diplomat posted:

my flip ring Darkwraith I feel like the loving Flash

Thisss, this right here is what I'm going to miss the most. I'm not hitting Darkwraiths until NG+ but I'm going to be so sad that it won't work any more.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well then lower your equipment burden and raise your Endurance you lazy Havelflipping weenie :colbert:

No man, the point wassss I'm in Darkwraiths, not Havels! GreatShield of Artorias + BKGA = no flip (unless you're naked?) There are a lot of equip burden nerfs.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well yes one of the biggest loving shields in the game and one of the biggest loving weapons in the game will certainly weigh a lot!! It's almost as though you now have to choose two out of the three following: 1) best evasion in the game, 2) best block in the game, 3) some of the best melee damage in the game, instead of a single uberbuild offering all three. Like... there's some kind of... decision-making involved in building a character now.

I'm just teasing you but seriously, all of these nerfs are objectively good things.

I know, I know, it is good. I was talking about it earlier, and it's really nice in reality because it opens up a while ton of armor sets that were totally ignored before.

I can still spill a 40 for my Darkwraith grandma, Pigpocket. You had a good run nan. :911:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nahxela posted:

I just finished Bonewheeling Ornstein and Smough on my dual shields run. Hooray! That was a giant pain in the rear end.

Bonewheel R2 is actually pretty strong, it gets multiple hits as it spins. I took one to max lightning and one to max fire, with a solid hit either could out damage a BKGA!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fibby Boy posted:

She is immune to poison/toxic mist, all manner of aoe attacks, and all chaos fire spells. Anything else just doesn't get through the cage. Trust me, I have tried really really hard at killing her.

edit: At one point trying to kill her I had her cage filled with a toxic mist, a poison mist, and kept slamming a chaos firestorm into it. She will not die.

What about the New Londo blacksmith? Is he killable in his cage?

Also; I'll admit I didn't read the entirety of all the walls of text in the thread lately, but has it been brought up that arrows have been homing since Demon's Souls? They never got out into the same configuration they were in there, but it's not exactly a unique Anor Londo Archer advantage...

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nahxela posted:

Imagine... a Bonewheel shield studded with Crystal Magic
Or a Bonewheel shield gleaming with Darkmoon.
:allears:

Yo this game I'm trying to make a Chaos Bonewheel Shield, I've got it at fire +5 but I can't ascend it, what am I doing wrong DS thread?? Am I... am I not allowed to make a Chaos Bonewheel Shield? Is it already Chaotic enough...?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nahxela posted:

Do you have the Chaos Flame and have you given it to Vamos and do you have a red chunk?

Yes to all, this is well into my NG+ (on PC, after getting Plat on PS3) so I'm familiar with the process.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/bonewheel-shield

Doesn't show a Chaos path... why, From, why??

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nahxela posted:

Today is a sad day.
bonewheel too strong.
According to this page, http://darksouls.wikidot.com/shields, no raw, enchanted, chaos or occult shields.

A sad day indeed. I'll have to settle for fire, I suppose!

I got two drops this run... I could always dual wield fire/lightning.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm hoping they respond to this petition by making the BB glitch sequence freeze the player in place while an obnoxiously-voiced Mimic named Mister Glitchy spawns in and delivers an eleven-minute unskippable monologue about how cheating is bad before finally reducing all the the player's equipment durability to 0 and then eating him. Like that annoying reset mole from Animal Crossing, only Dark Soulsier.

BB Glitching is what the ancient god did to get turned into a mimic

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/symbol-of-avarice

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Radio Paranoia posted:

A patch to make the Symbol of Avarice stay on (cursed item style) would be amazing!

Too many items in your BB and your character turns permanently into a static mimc which invades another player's world.

"What's this chest sitting by firelink...?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Lord of Laughton posted:

I know there's a spell that makes you partially invisible, but is there a spell/a method that makes you completely invisible? I got invaded in Anor Londo yesterday just as I was going down to the Darkmoon Altar. He must have seen the tower lower, because soon after the tower was going back up for him to get on. Fine, I say, I'll hide behind this here wall till he comes and get the jump on him. The tower comes down but I don't see anything. Suddenly I'm backstabbed twice and I'm dead. I couldn't see anything, not even the faintest outline of a player.

I've seen someone with no legs... somebody was mentioning that earlier in the thread too? Fog ring+hidden body+some armor set's legs??

• Locked thread