Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defult
Oct 19, 2007
Wow, just first tryed ornstein and Smough solo!
Was dreading it after reading everything & seeing em on streams, but found it not too bad really (maybe luck?)

Here's what i did: put on my highest lightning def gear which was the Gold-hemmed set from ceaseless discharge's place. wolf's ring & havels ring to put me under 25% encumberance and a bit of poise to help blocking/stamina. Eagle shield (again for lighting def) and halbeard for the first half of the fight, then a bow and poo poo loads of arrows for the second half. (no excuse not to have 999 cheap rear end arrows at this point in the game :D)

That gear let me run rings around em, only getting hit badly once when i ballsed up and rolled into a wall.

Choose to take down the little guy first, and this was the hardest part. Basicly kite'd the two of em round the out side of the room over & over again, taking a stab at ornstein when ever he dived in close and was 'cooling down' from the animation. But never taking the risk if fatty was getting close. Took awhile, and had to fight the camera a bit, but it worked. The gear i took soaked up little guys hits and his bolts wernt too bad for it. Just shield up, run & roll when it looks hairy.

After he's down, it was piss easy. Did the same circuit around the room kiting fatty and filling him full of arrows. Roll/run when it looks close again, found a sweat spot after awhile where i woulnt loss auto-lock, but far enough he wouldnt slam and would only charge swing. so could pop off 1 or 2 arrows, move back, repeat with a few rolls when needed.

Just make sure you're allways going around the out side of the room and there both fairly close together and dont get blindsided in the first half.

Hope this helps.

Seems people forget about the bow, its been my lifeline in both soul games at tough spots and i play a tanky strengh guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defult
Oct 19, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Reposting a question from earlier:

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

I cant rember exactly where it was, but i rember finding it as i was making my way through there. Just search every coner and path split ect, there isnt any where hard to get to just watch out for the harpies & pinwheels. & If you get to the boss there and not found it yet, turn back around.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
I think someone posted earlier that you only get "liquid" humanity instead of souls if you havn't killed that area's boss.

Seems true, areas i've 'cleard' & rember getting humanity from just killing in before, dont any more.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
Word of warning about Gravelord Covenant & Eyes of Death:

if you kill nito, you can no longer offer eyes of death to get the better spell. But Patches moves to firelink and becomes a merchant. He sells em at 3k each.
Guess ill stock up on em now ready for NG+

Basicly hope you like grinding... :suicide:
Atleast there is a very cool nod towards plauge babies of DeS on the way.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
Just had a great morning of trying out the Forest covenant for PvP. Had a good mix of Jap's tag team farming people as they spawn, people trying to get to sif, high strength guys hitting like bricks and a fair few magic/curved sword guys.

I think that the crys of pvp/multiplayer being broken are a bit premtive considering it hasnt even been a full week for every were bar US/JP. Im Lvl 84 & was getting a summon every half hour or so with the forest ring thing. (im in the UK and defintaly went against japs and europeans for sure)

Reoccurring builds were defintaly cropping up and looks like its just gona get better as more people figure out the gear and differnt covenat systems.

Also got my rear end handed to me most of the time, that slowing spell destroys my advantage of being a rolling mass of armor and duel swords:(

defult
Oct 19, 2007

NoneSuch posted:

This seems like the case. There was a guy earlier in the thread mentioning that he got 75k souls off someone, do people really run about with that kind of numbers? It seriously sounds like more than just farming, and we know the exploit exists.

I got 200k off a guy today killing for the forest covenant, few easy levels for me :D

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Xvimic posted:

I've been having a hard time finding PvP, have you tried the blue stone at all? I'm basically the same level as you and had 0 luck with it earlier. I tried all over, with the stone and the ring but no hits.

Maybe I should try the forest covenant, I did at like level 30ish a few days ago but was only summoned once in about 2 hours of wearing it.

Of course when it finally did summon me I promptly back rolled right off a cliff while fighting the dude like a totally jack rear end. :doh:

Only other Cov i tryed so far has been gravelord, and i gave up on that (i posted bout that earlier in this thread which dont stop moving)

When i joined forest cov last night, dint get poo poo. But this morning was consistant, now i still had time for a run through depths once or twice for humanity/eyes farming between fights. Also i kept quiting out to main menue when havin a smoke break then soon after re-starting would be summoned. But take that with a pinch of salt it may be conincidence and i learnt along time ago with the souls games to never assume off anecdotes :) Multiple people were joing in the hunt half the time as well.

Later today gona give Darkwraiths ago, after ive farmed humanity so if it is poo poo ill still have the gear. Then try Darkmoon.

defult fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 11, 2011

defult
Oct 19, 2007
After a morning of forest covenant & getting creamed by japs who are way better than me, decided to try Darkwraiths... (spoliering as im in a area that shouldn't be spoiled till experienced once :))

After an hour or so trying out the red orb in Anor Londo and a few other early/mid areas with no luck. It struck me. Im lvl 84, where was i going through last properly and having trouble...

Tomb of the Giants.

Pitch black, Ive got fog ring and light armor on (no lock-on and they cant hear me coming), I cant see poo poo, my target dont give off a light like my character dose (guess they cant see my light either), very little room to move.

Perfect.

Each invasion is teanse as gently caress, the only indication that im near them is the dead they leave on their path or there life geting smacked out of them in the distance. When I finaly see them its a real 'Oh gently caress!' moment. Having to figure out where I am, how much room have i got, what could i see them wearing and armed with. I either die right then from the wrong move, or stalk them slowly leading them to the other giants, striking when they lest want me to.

Its great just watching them die to the skeletons there. Knowing how much it sucked when I was going through there, now know it wernt just me who struggled :D.

PvP definatly works :D just gota be in the right place and the right level.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And by "Player vs Player" you mean, "Put on a cheesy ring and then ambush some poor gently caress."

Then whine about how everyone is playing Hollowed all the time.

Edit: I'm seriously kind of flabbergasted by how many bad multiplayer systems From Software put in this game. I mean, Demon's Souls was fun and tense, and this is just alternatively a loving ghost town or a mess (on Xbox360)

Fog ring dint gave me that much advantage, with the lack of room to move i was demolished multiple times.

Ive been invaded mutiple times as ive been going though by players, some with fog ring some without. As i see it, From probly wont remove it and its probably working as they intended. Yeah it gives an advantage, so what? Nothing stops you from running around hollow. It only stops lock-on, and takes up a valuble ring slot. The only people who ive killed are people who panic'd. The rest just got on with it and took me for every opening i left.

In DeS i hated getting invaded, so was a soul for the whole game because of world tendancy. In Dark souls you have nothing to lose except time, humanity is farmable, hell, darkwraith cov is all about farming other players for it.

I never understood all the honour dueling that came about in DeS, so have no intention of playing Dark Souls with out takeing advantage of what ever i can since it so easy too.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
No idea if any one has posted this in the last 10 pages or so (thread moves so quick, by the time ive caught up theres more pages) but ive found a fairly 'easy' and relatively quick way to farm humanity post Anor Londo.

The baby skeltons just before Nito in Tomb of the Giants. If you have the crystal ring shield its easy to get there (I struggled when i went through properly when i had no magic or ranged bar bow, the parry of that shield with a good weapon 1 hits everything there). Bring some blooming purple moss in case you get toxic and the gold serpent ring plus a spear or a low sweeping blade worked best for me. Also a ring of the evil eye for any healing.

Drop in to the water to spawn them, run to ramp, kill, repeat. They drop humanity items rarely, but they respawn so quick it makes that a joke. In an hour ive got 28 humanity used and another 20 in my bag. One thing is you have to pick the drop up quick or it disapears/glitches(?) as they respawn. But if you keep poping the items to push item discovery up more & more, it makes the losses trivial. Plus a nice but low soul compared to forest farming amount as you go.

lvl 3 darkwraith and chaos covenent with out the hard work :D

defult
Oct 19, 2007
gently caress the last boss of Lost Izalith. Ive really liked this area, but this boss...

Every other boss ive had no problem, not even O&S. Ive enjoyed each boss, but this. The lost 35 humanity dont matter, the 50k odd lost souls dont matter. Its that i know what to do but the loving jump every time.

Atlest the run to it is getting me items.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Akuma posted:

And the UK, apparently.

Amazon UK disspatched mine this afternoon. Cant wait to get it, loved the art and maps in the limited editon mini-guide. Plus the wiki's are a bit patchy on late game stuff atm. Missing a pyro spell, but no idea what or where.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Stiggs posted:

How long have you had it on pre-order? Mine hasn't been dispatched yet and I pre-ordered a week ago. :ohdear:

Only orderd last tuesday, may be to-do with amazon prime and/or choosing the one day delivery? I Havnt checked to see if its in any attucal stores so no-idea what stock of its like over here.

Also, dont waste souls on 58 strength to one hand Smough's hammer. It may look bad rear end running around in his full gear, but it really aint worth it :(

defult
Oct 19, 2007
The guide has finaly arrived in the UK and its worth every penny! Stat tables, maps, nice art, its really well put together with the only problems ive noticed skimming through it being DX:HR on the back and the curse stuff they patched post-printing.

Through out my 102 hours playing (damm, i need a proper job) there have been only two 'major' PvE things that need fixing. First being unable to drop Dried Finger wich i understand was broken in their last patch. The second being undead dragon in the painted world 'blocking' the path when dead. I Dont think the jump attack is ment to dislodge it. Now i did do it, but turned around and went another way to get to that bottom path. So i think its not ment to glitch out of the way, duno really, either way something aint quite right

Ive Solo'd almost every boss with just shield and a good weapon, sometimes bow. Ive done good number of invasions which have mostly been great (stop turning off your system you bastards!). I've summoned once for a boss and it worked fine for demon centiped. Gravelord seems to work but has a very telling lack of feedback.

That there's a spell to show more messages, makes me think that From are probaly sitting in there office laughing at all our tears. Still ive enjoyed almost every moment the game has given megently caress you Bed of Chaos, gently caress you!

Too NG+! :black101:

e:spelling
second edit; Bland provided soruce :), http://twitter.com/#/senden_ogu, edited & deleted appropriate speculation

defult fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 14, 2011

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Bland posted:

There was a quote from a From developers twitter saying there was to be a patch by the end of the month

Cool, could you link? I cant seem to find em, im woefully inept with twitter :blush:

e: thanks

E again; Can any one tranlate these properly? with bablefish the best i can make out is 'In regard to various parts adjustment, aim started being visible.' & 'Concerning the problems which large number you point out it continues and it is in the midst of corresponding. Just it is possible, early various parts we adjusting and negotiating. As soon as it to reach the point where you can apply the concrete guide,'

Well im glad they are doing something, even if im not really sure what haha.

defult fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 14, 2011

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Stiggs posted:

Did you get your guide from Amazon? All Amazon sent me today was an email telling me they didn't have enough stock. :negative:

Yeah, i must of been lucky, only orderd it on the 4th. zavi list as out of stock, play.com says 3-5 days but no listing of current. Some guy is allready trying to sell it for £30+ within amazon. No idea if Game or Gamestation are stocking in stores.

Good luck, but if guides are your thing id say it'll be worth hunting about for it. It really is great quality, it fills in the gaps the wiki's have got atm. In the long run the wikis will be better, but it has got some nice art which aint in the LE art book.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Oh the Gravelord Covenant places you in front of him? Kind of neat. Can you just teleport to the Bonfire and fight him directly without having to go through Tomb then?

Going through the tomb means you fight him, after you kill him the bonfire apears. but you cant do any more gravelord covenant stuff when hes dead. If you take the coffin to him, you cant fight him only covenant stuff if hes still alive.

e; gah im too slow

defult
Oct 19, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

So, story/endgame/ending spoiler discussing, do you think Kaathe is full of poo poo or are you really the descendant/incarnation/amnesiac pygmy/dark lord? As imminently evil as this throws things out, he -does- make a surprisingly interesting point in regards to the age of fire vs. the age of dark, saying that the age of dark is actually the age of -humans-. Is that to say that the age of fire is almost a sort of Olympus ordeal--power and light, but in the hands of psuedo-deities/the lords leaving the general masses still pretty miserable? Is there an upside to ushering in the age of dark, given that?

I get the feeling that what ever option its kinda hosed up. Youve got a city of a gods, with a fake god guaded by two phycopaths (read smoughs soul description). A witch who ended up damming her sisters & making demons. A Dragon gone mental who betrayed his own kind. All because flame appeard and it was decided lets go kill dragons. Two primordial serpants telling you vauge stuff. Whilst you, who may or may not be the pygmy go around loving every one up because your told to ring some bells & light a fire. Kinda feel bad for Nito, he don't seem too bad compared to the others if you read into the bits and pices of lore they do give, just a clerk caught up in the middle.

I ended up chooseing the 'dark lord' path first run. 'light' seems to just mess up everything in this world. But even then you could say your characters become just as bad as them, even if you do have the primodial serpants at your command. Kaathe is getting you to kill other players as a darkwraith, making it all even murkyer. So yeah, its hosed up what ever happens thinking about it

defult
Oct 19, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

It also provides that there's a lot of divide among those who were left standing, too. There's a great contrast even in just Smough and Ornstein, both of whom are ostensibly on the same side and of the same allegiance. Like I started to poke at earlier in the thread, there's a very big difference in the cutscene depending on who you kill first--dropping Smough, Ornstein jumps to his side and lays a hand on him before flipping out--while Smough smashes Ornstein's body with his hammer and just takes his power.

To me, it suggests that Ornstein might've been a big-shot valorous dude who was quite loyal and big on the knighthood--while Smough, who is a psychotic gently caress and the executioner, is just plain twisted. Both of them are still loyal to Gwynn and operating on his behalf but for very different reasons--and both are 'guarding' where Gwynn's daughter has basically been imprisoned. I would go so far as to suggest that Ornstein thinks he's up to it out of honor and 'protecting her' while Smough is all jailor mindset--but both follow Gwynn's direction.

Also of note is the Black and Silver knights, as what little you can find about the guys seems to suggest that they were at one point loyal knights but then they were 'burned away' and that their present forms remains--essentially mindlessly loyal shells of what were once various vassals. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a move from Gwynn himself when he freaked out and went on his power march, too.

But isnt Gywn's daughter Gwynevere a projection by Gwyn's son Gywndolin? (damm you From for being lazy with nameing - darkmoon ring), whilst the 'real' daughter is said to have left Anor Londo and married Flaan the god of fire, aswell as other 'deities' leaving(princess ring description). Making it so that Gywn's son is the one catching the ear of frampt, and the one who had the lords vessel. Meaning he wants you to light the flame and kill of gywn.

I wish i rembered what the soul of the four kings said, but i think when kaathe says 'they failed him' he's talking about the four kings. Meaning they got new londo flooded, killing hundreds -realising what the ramps are, is twisted- and trapping them.

As sad as it is to be thinking about all this, all the bits and pices left do leave a very cool, miserable & open to interpriation, world of many gray areas if you have a peak. I still feel bad for Nito though.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

weinus posted:

So apparently the prowling demon in the shortcut between Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith respawns? Dropping 2 Demon Titanite everytime? Amazing.

It only respawned for me a handful of times then stopped, but got plenty to max out a weapon to +5 though.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
Last two days Ive had a real good mix of co-op and pvp. I think alot has to do with being if the UK meaning in the morning/afternoon i get the jap's and evening/night the US, aswell as luck by the sounds of others experiances. Im half way through NG+, CL132, getting ridiculous amounts of souls from everything (pve and invaders). So much so im at a loss at what to spend them on as the weapons i like are max'd out. Im a tanky spec'd guy with two slots for pyro but able to mix it up a little bit with weapon choice.

The best tale of the day for me has to be rolling though the painting place. I needed the phanton npc guy's stuff and couldn't get the boss's tail weapon first time, so was going around human. At the start, i get invaded near the begging. Thinking 'oh gently caress, i cant be arsed with this' i wanted to be in then out. But i wernt gonna quit out, its annoying when others do that to me. And had to much humanity to throw it away in suicide.

So I stuck fog ring on and hid in a dark corner, I dint have my best pvp gear on. Waiting & thinking how am i gonna do this. I had my Furysword on me, it donst dish out quick enough, so im at a disadvantage. So i sit longer to see if i can catch a glims of em to weigh my chances.

It gets better than that. They run past me 6 times with out a second glance. The guy is in medium armor and two handing the largest black knight sword. Now im in a mix of ornstiens armor and other bits, but too much to bring out smough's hammer and still roll. So it could go either way.

Then it clicks, ive got chaos fireball on me. Now ive only dabbled in pyromancy, only got it for an easy trophy really. But with my options of use my fury sword where if they clip me im screwed, switch to smoughs and hope i hit first or im screwed, Or try this spell and hope for the best.

I let him run past a few more times, let em get twitchy, make em tense, hope they make a mistake. I move out of my corner into a bit of space and switch to pyromancy.
First ball goes off, the guy had no idea what was going on. I got lucky, it just cliped him, burning & stunning him but only a fraction of health taken. I take the chance & the second one takes off 800 as it hits his face. drat its a good spell with humanity, two hit kill.

Whats better, 20 mins latter, he invades again and falls to the same trick. To be fair he did hit me that time. But he was too late, as he hit as the fire left my hand for the second time and died again.

Had two good players co-op there as well, one guy killed the npc for me before getting him self killed by the skelewheels. Second guy made the boss a joke. Thanks to who ever you guys where and shame on the invader for falling for the same trick twice.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

charismaslover posted:

Grinding humanity out of the baby skeletons isn't as bad as I thought, pretty annoying that you have to be very close to the item drop or it disappears in like 2 seconds.

To anyone that's done the same does it matter what weapon I use? Would I get a better drop rate if I used a Divine weapon for example?

Nah, use what you find best. Furysword sweeping low worked best for me, spear was abit slow even though safer behind a sheild. But if you can farm there you shoulnt have to worry about damage or status.

Being human, pumping up humanity and the item ring. Followed by enough humanity to last you for the rest of playing.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

charismaslover posted:

How much humanity did you carry while doing it? I'm currently at 10 held and 39 in my inventory.

If you held more did you get more frequent drops?

When i last did it, i went to about 40ish. But item find caps out at 30 humanity, 410 item find total with the ring & being human.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
Been helping out loads of jp's on O+S all day, the crystal sheild makes it soo much easyer in NG+. Only problem is they keep sending messages that i dont understand, each time i just hope im killing in the order they want. Ive no idea if there cursing me or prasing me :(

Hopefully be able to unlock the sun covenat through this soon. Also any one eles notice the god of the sun cov is gwyn's first born son who's banished from the books. you get a reward for giveing the statue gwyn's soul (allegedly, not done myself yet) another nice little twist in the bleak world of dark souls.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
poo poo, the Four Kings in NG+ are a nightmare. In my first run they were fine, yeah gimicky, but fine for a tanky spec like mine. NG+ is a differnt story. Every boss up to them ive found easyer since i knew how and what to do. But gently caress, I just couldnt keep up with dps with out going cheap.

Halbeard +15 w/lighting resin, kill 2, run out of estus, dead. Smough's hammer +5 , too slow, I die. Divine Lucerne +10, still not enough, im killed again. Lighting spear +5, im dead even quicker. Try magic shield spell since its broken atm, i live longer, but get ganged up on as im dishing even slower trying to live.

The only way i won was abusing crystal ring shield with my smough's hammer +5 (none of my other weapons seem to give as much scale dmg for it, so far). Gah, I feel dirty for it :(. Only boss ive had to gimick for my soloing. I dont care when im co-op with others but I feel unclean for having to do it on my proper run.

Other than that NG+ has been a ball, I hit a brick wall in NG+ in Demons souls by gimping my build. But this time in dark souls it feels far better & less chance to gently caress your self over.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
Finaly been hit by a gravelord with eyes of death! Im in the catacombs, running though to open up the blacksmith. All of a sudden ive got black phantom skeltons appearing. Whats even stranger is ive killed Pinwheel & im hollow.

Time to go hunting for some eyes :D

e:Im getting no souls from the BP skele's, unsure if thats due to em being skele's or BP's. They do drop item's, same as normal versions drops thou.

2nd edit: Someone eles got em before I could even find the sign :(

defult fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

For you folks already near the end at NG+, how was Smough/Ornstein, Seath and Four Kings? Those are the only bosses i had more than your average trouble on in Normal mode, especially Seath because i tried cutting his tail.

Only one i had trouble with was Four Kings had to crystal ring shield em in the end, so hard to keep up dps other wise. As for the Seath's tail, i gave up on trying that and just killed him.

defult fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 19, 2011

• Locked thread