Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I feel ashamed.

I beat the original Demon's Souls all the way through Allant. I used the CE's guide to help me along the way and still found the game challenging but fun.

This time around I've tried to spoil myself as little as possible, and I am getting destroyed just outside the Firelink shrine. Playing as a Pyromancer, I found the morningstar, where to get miracles and a first covenant offer (decided not to join), and was told to go up to the undead church or down to Blighttown.

Trouble is, the ghosts on the only walkway in to Blighttown OHKO me, and even two-handing the morningstar on the skeletons almost assures me of getting hit. I've been trying to save my fireball and estus, but inevitably, I make my way down to them and lose enough life to get murdered as soon as I step into the Catacombs. On top of that? No souls from anything.

And the skeletons reassemble in the Catacombs. :mad:

Is the answer to making it through the Catacombs literally just "skill up"? There's also a giant crow staring at me but I haven't tried loving with it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Smelly posted:

The tiny beings ring is a mistranslation. It does not, in fact, regenerate health. It gives a small HP boost.

Starting class doesn't matter much, so go hog wild!

Edit: Don't go around killing NPCs for the hell of it, most people learn that one the hard way.

God damnit I wish I had read this post before I started, I took the Tiny Beings ring and thought it regen'd as described.

Am I missing out on a significantly better starting "gift"?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Has anyone figured out the required stats for the Winged Spear?

Stats mentioned above, also, if people want to know what the requirements are, press square/X on 360 when viewing an item (I think?) and it will show numbers next to stats the weapon requires. Those are the minimums to equip.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Uznare posted:

I just got my CE today in the mail (Distribution is horrible in México) and I would like to ask what stat scales with pyromancy? I am aware that they are sort of battle mages so it's mostly just pumping up my attack stats, but is there a way to increase my magic damage?

I don't think any stat does specifically. I am playing a pyro and focusing on building up END, VIT, STR and DEX at the moment, mostly ignoring intelligence and attunement (though I did get my attunement slots to 3) as I've heard that the pyromancy magic damage increases when you level the catalyst itself.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oh my loving god, I just realized the potential of covenants. If enough people get far enough to join the covenants and start pvping, that is...

The potential from what I now know about them is incredibly cool and seems like a hell of a lot of fun. You have the capability to play as an assassin, gently caress with other people (I like the idea of the gravelord's ability immensely), and just customize your character's alignment however you see fit. I can't decide which one I want to go with now as a pyromancer. Chaos seems like the obvious choice but the Gravelord ability seems sweet too.

I mean, it just seems like it's going to be an entirely different game once the playerbase is all leveled up and joined in covenants.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I liked the idea of the Chaos covenant having meganukes but I'd prefer to avoid head eggs. Instead I think I'm going to try the dragon route.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

How do you put down messages? Select isn't working for me like in Demon's Souls and I can't rate them either. Mysteriously I keep getting Estus refills out of nowhere as if I'd put one down.

Your consumable slot is tied to square (down on the dpad to switch). Equip your orange soapstone there.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I am a zweihander wielding chaos fireball throwing nazgul.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm thinking of getting a spear to +10 (weapon spoilers)and using the moonlight butterfly's soul, just so I have a unique weapon. My +5 battleaxe which I was saving for +10 I made divine for the Catacombs.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The question is, which bridge?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Some impressions and thoughts after Blighttown.

(Post-Blighttown spoilers!)After beating Queelag and ringing that bell, heading down into the Demon Ruins was atmospheric as gently caress. I loved the sense of enormity and scale you got from going down the path towards the lava. Do you ever go inside that giant dome thing, which looks like the base of all the roots heading down from the surface?

Also, talk about feeling UNDERGROUND. :stare: Thinking about my climb out from there straight back to Firelink really reinforced just how deep down I actually was.

Finally, Ceaseless Discharge. I walked by the guy thinking he may be friendly first, around him, and grabbed the soul for the gold-hemmed robes...then he woke up. :gonk: No clue how to start beating him, but I have a feeling avoiding the giant feeler sweep is probably pretty key to it.

This game is game of the year.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is it possible that there are rewards for continuing to rank up with the covenants that haven't been discovered yet?

I'm actually diggin' the Chaos Covenant, especially with how awesome the initial reward (spell spoiler) Great Chaos Fireball is just for joining. For my fire-themed pyromancer character, I wonder if it'd make more sense to get the pyromancies, then join the dragon covenant later.

I want to be a huge flaming axe wielding fireball thrower.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 17, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Yes you will eventually enter that dome area. It .... well I'll let you discover for yourself.

Sounds like the Wanderer's Coat. You can get a Wanderer's outfit in Blight Town, near where you enter the swamp from Blight Town.

Thanks for not spoiling that. :)

I'm looking forward to getting down there and exploring further. The enemies in the area with egg sacs that erupt giant maggot larva when killed are really unsettling. Yeesh. What's with the door in the chaos covenant area? I can't seem to get through it.

What's wrong, (boss) Ceaseless Discharge? You look so sad. :(

Do you want a friend?

HAVE A +5 ZWEIHANDER FOR FREE :black101:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

I think we're building the same character. I'm currently playing as a Pyromancer and I'm gonna be using an axe as soon as I can get it properly enchanted. Planning on Gargoyle Tail Axe right now just for how hilarious it looks.

I was sad when I upgraded my battle axe to divine, but I know there are bigger, badder axes and I needed something for the catacombs. Plus it's heavy, so it has the "smashy" property on Skeletons. Have you gotten the pyromancy I posted about above?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
How'd you get enough humanity? Items? Just running back when you have a surplus?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Noxville posted:

Right outside the boss door.

I love your avatar.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ledneh posted:

I knew from the first moment I saw it that that line would get titled. :v:

The question is, what is he pouring on himself?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Facing that climb out of Blighttown the first time just about made me despair until I explored the waterwheel all the way up and found a shortcut out. One thing Dark Souls does damned well is simulate going way, way down into the earth. Kind of roguelike-ish.

I posted this very thing earlier. Have you made it past Queelag's?

That little jaunt down reminded me of getting to Dlvl 20 in Crawl. So awesome.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Ash Lake felt weird to me the first time I arrived. Like I wasn't supposed to be there looking up from the bottom of the world.

I haven't made it there yet, but one thing that no spoiler can really spoil for you is the visual impact of making it to a new area. When I realized that (Blighttown) you were actually looking at a sort-of "moat" for the castle with the indoor/outdoor areas and the huge support buttresses arcing out, and that the infected/undead may have been the slave workers of the castle proper I just went :aaaaa:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I've heard enough about that loving place without spoiling myself that I know to bring along a lamp, or whatever the equivalent is in Dark Souls. I bought a lot of prism stones, but I have a feeling that won't really be enough.

A tv with a better gamma correction? :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

sentrygun posted:

It's less that everything is dim and more that everything is literally pitch black or up your rear end.

Two themes present throughout Dark Souls.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Removing the Nexus was probably the best design choice possible. Not only did it vastly increase the sense of scale and interconnectedness of the world, it removed the feeling of having a true "home base" that the Nexus provided.

I know some people aren't as happy about that but for me it's great. I truly enjoy the thought that went into the shortcut designs in this game, and when I realized that there were elevators and little tricks to get to where you wanted to go faster a grin just spread across my face.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ledneh posted:

Holy fuckin moly the Gaping Dragon (move spoiler) just grabbed me, gently dropped me into his maw, and started chewing :staredog:

I won anyway :smug:

I guess now I get to see if Blighttown is as horrid as everyone says it is. God help me.

It's really not. Keep your shield up, and move slowly. If you hear little "clunk" noises, you're probably being shot at by a toxic dart thrower. Take 30 seconds to find out where they're shooting from and deal with accordingly, and you'll be fine. Nothing else really presents a threat except double dung-golems or maybe some of the stuff at the bottom.

KILL THE DART THROWERS FIRST AND YOU WILL SAVE YOURSELF LOTS OF TIME. People that struggle with Blighttown probably are blindly rushing into those, getting toxic'd and not proceeding with shields up at all times in areas where those fuckers hadn't been killed yet.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ledneh posted:

Removing the nexus turned this game into the best Metroid game since Super Metroid, and I can't thank From enough for it.

The best comparison I can think of. Except Castlevania. And 3D instead of 2D.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Sen's Fortress. Just starting it.
Die once, embarrassingly, to snakes. Figure out patterns and to lure them into arrow traps. Roll past a few pendulum blades. Die a few times to careless rolls and getting knocked off the ledge. Note to self to upgrade Eagle Shield further. Die another few times on the bridge. Discover not 1. Not 2. But 4 titanite demons lurking at the bottom of the pit. Die from fall damage and getting stomped. Remember to equip rusted iron ring. Kill one demon, recover souls, hike stairs to find chain puller. Kill him, find Soothing Dragonslayer's Ring. Die a few times to ball traps due to being terrible. Make it to the top. Die again after getting split by a pendulum at the very top, knocking me all the way back to the bottom.

Cannot find the bonfire. Or the lightning spear, supposedly in here somewhere.

I had to take a break for a while

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Sen's Fortress. After beating the boss.

There has to be a faster way back up there, right? I lit the bonfire at the top (side note: jesus christ, if I had not found that loving bonfire after making it all the way to the roof and then died...) and went to Anor Londo, but came back because I was totally out of Estus and was lugging 40,000 souls. Then I decided I needed to get back to the parish blacksmith, and bonfired there.

I picked up the cage key at the top and freed Logan. Is there an elevator I'm missing? Or do I have to run that gauntlet again, even though it's now trivial to me after dying close to 20 times, every time?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Tips for the feline trio, I beat Sif and them last night:

If you approach them from the woods side where you collect the large soul of a proud warrior, you'll notice that they will patrol close to the grove of trees where you collected that item but do not enter, probably due to the model size and the tightness of the grove. If you back up into the grove of trees slowly while locked on, the felines will turn and path away from you, allowing you to get a few stabs in. Move back out of the grove with shield up (be prepared to dodge rolling charge), stab again, move back to trees, wash, rinse, repeat.

I didn't die to them once and it was real easy this way.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The cutest Nito.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Someone make me a Nito costume for halloween.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, I like that change. It makes the host more conscious of the phantoms they've summoned and that they need to take care of them as much as themselves if they want to keep them around.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tamagod Sushi posted:

I think I just got lucky since I had a lot of health and a +15 pyromancy hand. Took all my greater combustion and combustion to kill them both too. Put some points into pyromancy folks, works wonders!

Seriously where do I go now after Anor Londo :confused:

Catacombs?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Opps, sorry forget to mention I've done the catacombs. So would I be looking for the Tomb of Giants/ Duke's Archives/ Great Hollow here?

I'm pretty sure the Tomb of Giants is after the Catacombs, Duke's Archives is in Londo, and Great Hollow is (I think?) accessible through Blighttown.

One day I'll be able to 1-hand that Dragon King Greataxe...one day....

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

I can't wait for the Tomb of the Giants refrain.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Reich Joyce posted:

Lost my souls in the lava . Shame I couldn't find them in there while looking at magma brighter than the loving sun! That level is like staring into a solaire eclipse.

Excellent typo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
This thread is 648 pages, has almost a million views, and the game has been out for less than a month.

:stare:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

casual poster posted:

Dude is huge and his swing takes away half my stamina? How can I not lose? I only tried once though, going to try a few more times before I ask for help.

Have a shield with good stability (and a fair amount of endurance) and you can block both swings consecutively before he stops for a bit. Also, use fire.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
They're little white circles that appear when someone else has cast a miracle in the area. Supposedly they increase the strength of any miracle that you cast if you cast it while you're in the area.

I hate the bottom of the Catacombs. DIDN'T THINK THERE WERE ENOUGH WHEEL SKELETONS IN THE PAINTED WORLD? HAVE SOME MORE! :gonk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Megalixir posted:

:stonk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Miyazaki-San you're a weird mother fucker:

Dark Souls: You can sniff sniff?

:gonk:

I don't even want to know what "sniffing a sack" means in context in Japanese. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I miss playing this game. I got as far as the Duke's Archives and Izalith butt-dinos, and just sort of let it fall by the wayside playing Buttlefield 3 and various other games.

I still need to do Tomb of the Giants (got the maggot hat) and Seath's. Still pissed I hosed up my chance to join the Darkwraiths by accidentally rolling into chompers' hole. :argh:

• Locked thread