Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Fauxtool posted:

That store is actually owned by my friend

I just got back and have a copy of my very own :3

They have a second location in long beach on spring st if that is closer.
Tell them Kat sent you, it may give you a discount

they have 5 left and will get more tomorrow

Holy crap, that's just a few minutes' drive from my home. I'll have to hit them up tomorrow morning before work. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 19, 2007

I was able to get my hands on a copy yesterday and so far the game exceeds my expectations--I'm having an awesome time. However I haven't progressed very far into the game and I already feel stuck. No matter where I go I encounter enemies that are far beyond my ability to defeat them. And I don't mean that as in I don't know HOW to fight them, it's more a matter of me doing pitiful damage to them while their attacks do 60% or more of my max HP..so obviously I'm overshooting my limits a bit.

To be more specific for those who also already have their hands on the game: I started as a Bandit with the Master Key, and after leaving the Asylum I explored around a bit and talked to the few NPCs in the area. I went through the Undead Burg and defeated the Taurus Demon, however now my path is blocked by a dragon who kills me instantly and a door that my Master Key won't open, so I can't go any further there. So I went to the graveyard near the Firelink Shrine and can handle the skeleton's reasonably well with the Zweihander I picked up, but they're still a bit much. The Catacombs appear short and end with a dead end--it doesn't help that the skeletons just come back to life after you've killed them, so that path appears to be out. So I went and tried the New Londo(sp?) Ruins, but the ghosts there are too strong for me and I only have one Transient Curse left, so I can't go there either without just blitzing past all the enemies. The Valley of Drakes is also far too difficult (though I snagged a few good items by running past enemies), as is the Basin at the bottom of the Undead Burg (you need the Master Key). So I'm at sort of a loss. I'm at level 17 with a pretty formidable arsenal of equipment--I even went and killed that Dark Knight in the Undead Burg without too much trouble.

If anybody has any advice I would really appreciate it. Also, since I have the game early, is it safe to go on Xbox Live or will that put me at risk for getting my account banned or something. I obtained the copy legitimately, but obviously I'm not supposed to have it till Tuesday.

Nov 19, 2007

Leyburn posted:

Yeah you can, half way across the bridge with the dragon you can go under it and progress to the next part

Funkmaster General posted:

Went ahead and read this (even though I don't own the game yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt), and assuming the place where the dragon insta-kills you is the spot it sounds like to me, you can see how to progress by watching the GiantBomb quick look. Here's a quick hint, if you don't feel like doing that: get naked and run across the bridge as fast as you can, about halfway or a bit less across, there's a stairwell down to a lower floor which will lead to a shortcut to the bonfire and back, and a below-the-bridge area which you can use to sneak under the dragon and into the building he's guarding.

acksplode posted:

You're fine. You're not circumventing any security and Microsoft isn't in the business of enforcing street dates.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks, you guys are my heroes :allears:

Nov 19, 2007

Can anyone give me a hint on where to go next (early game after first bell)?

I defeated the Bell Gargoyles and rang the bell. After that I could see no obvious path so I just sort of hosed around and killed that headless demon guarding the Darkroot Garden and the Dark Knight further down the Basin. I went ahead to the Catacombs since I know the next bell is underground somewhere and I got so far as beating the Pinwheel boss, only to be smashed in the Tomb of the Giants and lose the 6k souls I gained. I don't feel like this is where I should be going, and I'm getting tired of the the Catacombs and their enemies who give no souls. Is there some other path I missed?

Nov 19, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Near the sunlight warrior guy on the dragon bridge there is a door. You should have the underground key at this point.

Actually, I don't. I must have missed it...which I guess would explain my frustration. Where can I find it?

Nov 19, 2007

Where do I get the key to get into the sewer?

more like FAILdows get it fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 5, 2011

Nov 19, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

OK, I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game. For some reason, the game will sometimes bug out and decide that when I hit RB, it's just going to wait for a few seconds before actually making my character attack. And of course the attack always starts right when I should be holding up my shield. Has anyone else seen this happen? It's not my controller either, I tried using a different one and the same issue kept happening.

I'm glad you posted this because I've been having the same issue with my game. I don't know if it's a problem many other people are having but it's intensely annoying and has gotten me hosed at least a half dozen times.

On a different note, have any 360 players here had any significant player interaction? I see a decent amount of messages (most are never rated compared to DeS messages with 1000+ ratings, though that game's been out longer) and ghosts, but I have never been invaded, seen a vagrant, seen summon signs, or been summoned despite numerous attempts. The game is still great but I feel like I'm really missing out on what makes it so unique. I see people talking about their multiplayer experiences...but where the hell IS everybody?

Nov 19, 2007

Any advice on where to get some green titanite? I just upgraded a Mace to +5 and I wanted to make it Divine so I could gently caress up some skeletons' poo poo. I already finished the boss of the Catacombs but there's a lot of treasure left behind.

Nov 19, 2007

Any tips on how to get into that giant locked gate with the fat armored dude moping in front of it? If that's Sen's Fortress then I feel like that's where I need to be going.

Nov 19, 2007

Could anyone tell me how to get to the blacksmith in The Catacombs? I know he's there because I can hear his hammer, I'm just not sure how to get to him.

Nov 19, 2007

Okay I'm stuck in Ariamis but I feel like I'm really close to being finished with it. I got the Annex Key and killed the poison dragon on the bridge. When I run past where he was there's this big lump of meat that I can hit but do no damage too, and it doesn't retaliate, but it's blocking my path. The door leading to the lower bridge path says it is "locked by some contraption", but now I've been through the whole level twice and I can't find anything else to do to continue. I also made short work of the phantom that invades there and explored all the hidden paths in the sewer system. Any hints on what to do next?

Nov 19, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I've gone through Ariamis twice now and I've never seen a dragon. Where are you guys seeing that?

On the big bridge right outside that tower with the spiral stairs that abruptly end. If you run a ways down the bridge a sleeping dragon will awaken and attack you.

Nov 19, 2007

I've been pondering this for a while: should I trade in my 360 version for a PS3 version? It's kind of depressing how empty the game is--there are barely any messages and ghosts, let alone summonable players and invaders. I know it's not me because I have interacted with other players before, it's just incredibly rare that I see them and equally rare that the summoning or invasion even succeeds. Is the PS3 version much better in this regard? I know there's a lot more players but does it feel like it? I'm a Demon's Souls vet so I really feel like I'm missing something major by rarely seeing or playing with other people. Will switching to the PS3 fix that or do the multiplayer problems everyone seems to be having neuter the experience anyway?

Nov 19, 2007

Quick question: I played through this game when it first came out but I haven't picked it up again since the first time I finished it. I'm feeling the itch to play again but I remember when I was playing the 360 version was noticeably underpopulated which I felt really hurt the experience (and is the prime reason I didn't even try NG+). Is this still an issue? I was going to start a new character anyway so I don't mind picking up the PS3 version if population is still an issue on the 360.

Nov 19, 2007

So what's the best way to go about dispatching the Crystal Butterflies? I've been farming them for a Blue Titanite Slab drop but it's such a tremendous pain in the rear end. Of course I have 10 Humanity and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and I typically get one good melee hit with my BKGA+5 which does about half their HP in damage before they move off their perch and out of melee range (except the third one who is never in melee range). Then I follow up with my Black Bow of Pharis +10 which whittles them down for about 35-40 damage per arrow (large arrows). My character is heavily melee focused and so I don't have much in the way of ranged spells (though I have almost enough Faith for Lightning Spear), but I feel like there must be a better way. I mean they aren't even affected by poison or toxin, so I can't bring them down that way. It's become very aggravating and it isn't helped by the fact that they take forever to kill, only give 400 souls, are not easily accessible, and possess a homing move that will kill me instantly. If anyone has any advice at all I would really appreciate it.

Nov 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

Ignore them and get your second blue-slab on NG+. Seriously, gently caress those guys. Also if you're heavily melee focused why do you need a second blue slab?

Just for the weapon achievement. I know, all this trouble to forge a weapon that I won't ever even use.

Nov 19, 2007

If I'm gonna wait till NG+ to get that Blue slab, should I just get the other remaining slabs on NG+ as well? I need a Red for Chaos (neither Pyro NPC is available to upgrade my hand to trade with Snuggly, already got the one in Izalith) and two regular for Standard and Crystal (Siegmeyer questline unfinishable). Are Darkwraiths a huge pain to farm? I figure I wouldn't mind since there's more of them per run-through, I can kill them easily, and with the Silver Serpent Ring and overkills I'll pull in almost 2k per kill, which takes the edge off when poo poo's not dropping. Conversely I don't have any idea where to find a reliable supply of Chaos-Eaters to farm for the Red slab.

Nov 19, 2007

potaties posted:

Also, how easy is it to join games with your friends now that 1.05 hit? I heard it's significantly easier to see people's signs, but I haven't tested it with my buddy yet.

I don't know, apparently it's been fixed but it gives me no end of trouble when I try to summon other players. I have a very solid, fast connection that drops maybe once a month, so I don't know why I have to fail a summonings half a dozen times before I can pull them in.

Nov 19, 2007

The Duke posted:

This works perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQvmgQdVys

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, New Londo Ruins is still the worst loving level in any game.

Whoa whoa whoa, what is the name of that headpiece and where do I get one?

Nov 19, 2007

Ledneh posted:

What IS the best source of souls per minute, anyway?

Along with that, what about humanity? I just realized how much humanity beefs up my quelaag's (whereupon I lost it all to an invader :mad:)

Though it can be a pain to get to, I can't recommend the skele-babies at the end of ToG enough. With Gold & Silver Serpent Rings + 10 Humanity, I could pull in 80k souls and ~40 Humanity in NG in about 30 minutes. It's very monotonous though and if the babies nick you enough they can apply Toxin, which is a pain. You'll also want to use a fast weapon that sweeps so you can take out groups of 3-6 in a single swing while still being able to roll away quickly in case you miss and they lunge at you.

e: I realize 80k souls in 30 minutes isn't anything to get that excited about, but if you're farming Humanity anyway you might as well capitalize on the souls you're getting by slapping on that silver ring.

Nov 19, 2007

You can also just drop items from your inventory.

Nov 19, 2007

Is there a general strategy for taking on two people in PvP at once? Obviously it mostly depends on your build vs. theirs and things like that, but is there any basic advice for handling this? It just seems like if I want to invade (Darkwraith) in popular areas where I'm guaranteed invasion connections I have to contend with people farming phantoms most of the time. The only way I can think to handle it is bum rushing the host, but that only works a fraction of the time as it seems most pairs expect the phantom to do exactly that (though it's very satisfying when it works).

Nov 19, 2007

He has to watch you do it or else it doesn't count. I guess because he didn't witness it being placed he figures someone else must have done it? Maybe he's just a senile old man? I don't know, it's really lovely, but yeah you just hosed yourself out of using Frampt, sorry dude :(

Nov 19, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

Are we talking about the same conversation? There's one where he complains about Frampt having horrible breath, and there's one where he said he has to do something about that smell, I always assumed the second one was referring to the smell of all the bodies. If so, then why does he end up hostile in New Londo?

It's possible that he fled down there to get away from the smell and was killed by the ghosts. However, more than likely he attempted to kill Frampt (based on his tone when he says he needs to do something about it) and it didn't end so well for him.

Nov 19, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

You're bad and you should feel bad.

With Pinwheel having poo poo health I always figured that the designers kind of intended players to fight him really early in the game, but Catacombs is pretty annoying and downright terrifying without a divine weapon, so people don't normally venture that way until they're actually headed to take out Nito.

I hear this a lot and based on my own experiences it's probably true. I braved the Catacombs on my first playthrough as a ~SL25 Bandit and Pinwheel was one of the more intense boss fights I encountered. At the time I even told my brother that Pinwheel was my favorite boss in the game thus far. As the battle goes on he rapidly multiplies and it becomes harder and harder to keep track of where you are being shot from (and nearly impossible to find a place to heal). The unsettling music and the hordes of dancing Pinwheels just makes it that much more intense. That said, it's really only difficult for someone who is new to the game, as even a fresh low-SL character controlled by an experienced player will demolish Pinwheel with practically no effort.

It sucks because basically if you don't dive headlong into the Catacombs like me (which was more out of confusion w/r/t where I should be going as opposed to bravery) when you're still new to the game, you are robbed of a very intense boss fight.

e: Also having him drop the Father's Mask after I defeated him made it that much more awesome.

Nov 19, 2007

So does the Gravelord Sword apply poison or toxin? I got the impression that it's toxin but according to the wiki it actually applies poison damage. Either way I still love the drat thing, I just want to know if I should be flinging Poison Knives or Dung Pies to round off the status application if my victim rolls away before it gets fully applied.

Nov 19, 2007

So the Kiln is generally a better place for 1-on-1 PvP, right? I love the PvP in this game and don't mind the lag, but the 2/3v1's that are so frequent in the forest are just wearing me down.

Also does the Gravelord Sword inflict poison or toxin?

Nov 19, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

If you thought the Forest was bad just wait, I don't think I've ever seen an invader in the Kiln in anything but the same old boring min/max flippy Giants stuff. That or if you're invading it's the same deal as the forest as well, get ready for a lot of guys camping out with supercharged phantoms and Sunbros.

Toxin, so if you can proc the sword's effect on someone they're gonna get antsy fast, it's really funny.

Fuuuuuuuck what's a guy gotta do to find a fair duel? And your right, it's hysterical. The Gravelord Sword is my go-to PvP weapon unless I'm experimenting...it's just too funny, especially when Lloyd's Talisman gets involved.

Nov 19, 2007

Can anybody recommend some interesting PvP builds? I fully completed the game a couple months ago but I wanted to jump back in to get ready for the new content. The wikis have plenty of builds listed but it's hard to tell what's bullshit and what's truly effective and interesting. I figured y'all probably have a more informed view on which builds are effective. I'm open to any suggestions; low-SL, high-SL, whatever. I just want to kill and troll people in funny ways.

Nov 19, 2007

So is the Xbox community mostly dead or what? I've been attempting Darkwraith invasions on my SL120 and SL45 at the usual PvP hotspots for those ranges for the better part of two days and haven't made a single successful invasion. My connection is fine and I'm still seeing messages and ghosts, but I can't find any co-op or PvP opportunities. Is there some other explanation or has most of the playerbase migrated to PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 19, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I've been getting summoned almost constantly (usually <5 min wait) in the Parish on my SL25, and that same character has yet to have a failed red orb invasion anywhere. I'm not sure what the issue is for you, but the community on XBox is definitely still active.

Maybe it's some kind of weird closed NAT thing? Try invading in the catbro forest. If you don't get a hit there, you pretty much know something is wrong on your end.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Forest in human form wasn't getting me any hits either. It must be something on my end then; I'll go digging around to figure it out. Thanks!

• Locked thread