Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Samurai Sanders posted:

A few hours into the game, which class you picked at start will be almost meaningless.

Now, which gift you picked, THAT will make a difference.

But it does determine your initial survivability!

I picked Thief my first go. Died so many times to that loving Asylum Demon before I finally killed it.

Then I tried as a Bandit and after the plunge hit, I heavy attacked maybe 4 times and it was dead. :woop:

I think I'll stay with the Bandit.

That being said, what are the stats of choice? Vitality still pretty drat important early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Christ. I'm playing as a Bandit and I'm having a grand old hard time with the skeletons in the graveyard at the starting bonfire after the tutorial.

I can't seem to get the timing right on parries. :psyduck:

Also, these undead souls that I pick up from corpses. I should only be using them when I'm going to level up something, right?

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 4, 2011

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Finally got to the Undead Parish bonfire with the blacksmith. Such a tough journey!

What the poo poo is that in the room next to him that is throwing lightning bolts at me when I descend the stairs? It looks creepy as gently caress. :ohdear:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

So how does this reverse hallowing work?

Does it take one soul to go fully back to living form? Is there a time limit?

Also, I completely missed the merchant in the undead burgs. I am at the bonfire in the Parish. :suicide:

Is there a merchant anywhere near me?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

So I left the blacksmith the down in Da Parish (I live in New Orleans :haw:) and ran into the the castle across the way. The large maced knight growled at me, I ran like a scared baby all the way back to the blacksmith. He followed and clipped into the stairs. :woop: After killing his sorry rear end, I ran back to the castle, the the Fire Keeper Soul, and stepped into this narrow elevator nearby. It clicked, I started rapidly descending, and all I could think as my heart sank was "Aw man. I'm hosed. I'm dead. There goes all my souls. Surely there's some terrifying demon down here ready to faceplant my rear end in a top hat around my head." And when the screen said Firelink Shrine, I literally breathed a 'thank loving god'.

I love the sense of constant dread this game gives you.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I wish retrieving your stuff after you die while alive would give you back the humanity you lost. :negative:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

So, I've beaten the Taurus Demon and Bell Gargoyles. Where should I be heading next? Also, what's down in that slums area in Undead Burgs, where you rescue that Sorcerer guy and find the sorcerers and thieves armors? I fought past all the traps with the dark thief dudes and demonic dogs, and I found a white fog door. Another boss? I don't want to find out! :ohdear:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I am thinking of reserving a copy of the guide at a local gamestop to go pick up in a little while when it opens. Should I do this? I have a feeling if I ever want it, this is my only opportunity.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I noticed there was a corpse (with an item) on top of the domed structure in which the Way of the White NPC, at Firelink shrine, is standing. You can see it from the Parish to Firelink elevator area.

I can't figure out how to get up there. Anyone know?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Going to try that Capra demon now. :black101:

Wish me luck, o ye masochistic goons.

Level 18, xbox, in case anyone really wants to help me out :3:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I need some help with the Capra demon. On 360. Level 18. Maybe tomorrow. Send me a PM if you that account feature, and are close to my level, and we can set something up tomorrow maybe after 12 central.

I keep hoping someone will drop a white soapstone down, but I never see a glyph in front of his door. I assume people are doing other, less frustrating fights. I have done the fight two times as a phantom, and neither time did the other player reciprocate by helping me. :saddowns:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. Even the guide isn't clear on this (at least I haven't read it yet) but what does enchanting a piece of armor with divine, fire, lightning, faith, etc., do? Raise your resistance against that particular type of attack?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I know the forest farming spot is cheap as gently caress, but watching these guys leap to their own deaths never never never never gets old. :feelsgood:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

gently caress the Blighttown swamp. gently caress it. :argh:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

So what are these god drat Dark Spirits, like Dark Spirit BadDavid85, that keep invading my personal space? Then tend to show up in Darkroot Garden by Alvina. I had 2 pop up on me earlier and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the upper hand. I kept getting backstabbed by one or the other. Is this the Gravelord Covenant ability?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

General boss tactics:

- stay beside or behind them
- always keep enough stamina to get a good distance away fast when you need to
- keep watching their body posture and when they rear back or jump up in the air or yell or something, take a whole hell of a lot of steps back
- if they start spewing hot lava or purple bile or something on the ground you probably shouldn't step in it.
- bring a white phantom (or alternately be a white phantom yourself the first time, to see what they are like before its your turn)

I pretty much always do this now. Always white phantom a fight to see what it's like and what can go wrong, and to see if you need to level up more or get better weapons.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I'm assuming the only way to reach Anor Londo is through beating Sen's Fortress?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Should I just pump as many points as I can into Stam/End and Vit until I can move as fast as possible in PVP? I'm 56 or so (not at home ATM) my Str is about 30 and I need to put a few more points into it for some of the heavier shields, but after that? Does weapon damage ever scale decently? Or will it continue to be 1 or so points depending on what weapon I'm using?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

So, I'm doing a SL1 runthrough, even though I haven't beat the game normally yet. So far I've beated the Taurus Demon and Havel the Rock with 0 problems, upgraded a battle axe to +5, and am about to do the BGs with SIR SUN STARER.

Should I get the Ring of Favor and Protection as soon as I can and will that effectively replace Havel's Ring if I just stick to cloth armor?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

I've discovered so far that doing the game SL1 just requires a lot more patience and pacing. I've upgraded my weapon (battle axe) and shield to +5, most of my armor to +2, and I've just defeated the Capra Shitdemon (previously Havel, Taurus, and Bell Gargoyles). I can't wait to get some even lighter armor and a lighter sword and the bloodshield so I can drop Havel's ring and use something more beneficial. Seems so far off at this point, but the ultimate goal of being a level 1 grief machine is one step closer to completion. :hawaaaafap:

Next up, Depths and Blighttown. :negative:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

If you want some great advice on how to be an evil SL1 griefing machine, use pyromancy. It requires no stats for it's maximum damage, only takes you upgrading the pyromancy flame and acquiring the spells themselves. The extra attunement slots would have helped if you could level, but you can just use rings to get a little more.

Yeah, I'm going to be upgrading as soon as I can. I have to wait until I find the Pyromancy guy in the Depths first though, right?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

Yeah, just be absolutely careful when trying to break him out. I made the mistake of swinging a giant claymore at him on my first run. He'll be able to upgrade your flame all the way up to +15, and Quelanna in blightown will ascend your flame and get it to +5 . Then you'll be doing like 400 damage with regular combustions.

Yeah, I've already got my flame to +6 and it's making a noticeable difference. Most mobs die in one combust. And with the souls from Gaping Dragon, I'll get it up a few more. He was a pain in the rear end as SL1. Solaire would just die like a wet noodle. I couldn't cut off the loving things tail, no matter how many times I swung at it, and if I got caught in a random tail swipe, shield up or no, it was pretty devastating. Not instant kill, but most of my health. He'd frequently follow up with a second and I'd die.

Question though, does fire orb do better damage than fireball? Or less with bigger splash?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Any tips for Quelaag for a SL1 run? I know Pyromancy is poo poo, but at least Flash Sweat will come in handy.

I read she is weak vs. lightning?

I'm thinking to maybe upgrade my battle axe to +10 for more base damage. Also, any decent fire resist shields I can get at this point?

Edit: So far, most bosses have been laughably easy, save for the ever irritating Capra Demon.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Can anyone confirm or deny that Quelaag is weak to lightning?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

'Weak' is a relative term here, as the guide lists her resists (physical/magic/fire/lightning) as 255/229/-/205. Meaning she's only mildly weaker to lightning then magic or regular attacks.

Yeah, that's what I gathered. I wanted to see if it was worth to to go hunting for some Gold Pine Resin off the mushroom parents. It's not. I might go get the Dragon Crest Shield though for the higher fire resist.

I read somewhere that she was VERY weak to lightning. I guess that answers my question. Thanks.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Finally defeated Quelaag at SL1 after a few tries. Maneater Mildred is so loving useless. :suicide: On my last attempt, I just booked it as hollow and whittled away at her with a Battle Axe +10.

On to Sen's! :black101:

So, is it worth it joining the Chaos Covenant for the fireball? And if I leave it, can I still use the fireball?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

On an SL1 character? Ehhhhh. It's powerful and grows more powerful as you gain Humanity, but it takes up two whole Attunement slots for four casts. You may need spells you can get more mileage out of, and Great Fireball has as many casts and is as strong as Great Chaos Fireball (sans-Humanity) for only one spell slot.

All Chaos Covenant Pyromancies are retained and are usable if you leave the covenant.

Oh, well, that makes that easy. I won't even bother. Thanks.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Has anyone used the Thunder Stoneplate Ring? Is it worth the 15k souls for a boss fight like O&S?

I'm doing a SL1 run.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Well, just had my first "ffffuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkk" moment--got to Anor Londo, and for the first time ever, I was able to actually summon people into my game (Xbox 360). Naturally, I was thrilled. My new bro unfortunately got slaughtered, and I was promptly invaded. I got slaughtered, and then died on my way back to get my bloodstain. Goodbye 60k souls. :smith:

And thus, the lesson of not hoarding souls has again been learned. :viggo:

On a happier note, SL1 Iron Golem was a loving joke.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 20, 2011

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Could those of whom are discussing the story please use spoiler tags? Some of us read the thread for info about how to beat bosses, etc., and would enjoy not having the story spoiled.

At least pretend the game is like 2 weeks old and not years old like The Sixth Sense where Bruce Willis is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Anyone doing a SL1 run that is close to or at O&S?

I should probably note that I am on 360.

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 21, 2011

• Locked thread