Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Never go to ash lake without the ability to warp. Seriously.

Not because of the long trek. No, because in the great hollow, there's this one part, where after you climb up two long ladders there's a short path up to a little section with a crystal lizard on it.

It seems like you could simply walk onto the platform, but apparently the chosen undead is completely unable to lift his feet 2 more inches to get onto the very very slightly higher ground. It is impossible. Sometimes I can jump onto it if I get really lucky but most of the time my char will just slide off to the left and die.

gently caress you From. Why didn't you make the jump an actual vertical jump.

I did this because I wasn't reading the words in the guide just following the maps. When I got to the end I looked at what it said and just shut it off for a bit. Because seriously gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are there any npc's I can summon for the Seath fight? My internet's being slow as gently caress so it'll be about fourty minutes before I can try and find a real person.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Read posted:

Nope. Good luck!

drat. Not what I wanted to hear. I can do ok until he puts me on the defensive I'm right hosed. Havel's armor is so incredibly slow I can't dodge for poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started trying to get the paladin armor. I think I'll just wait for the drat thing to update.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Finally killed Paladin Leeroy and got to Nitos room. This fucker's worse than Seath. Toxic while I was trying to heal from the fall to get down to him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fargin Icehole posted:

But doesn't it take him maybe 10-15 seconds to walk up to you?

Maybe? All I know is there was suddenly a giant sword impaling me and I had no anti-toxics out. I guess I'm bad at the game if that's the case.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

divine weapon

There's my second hold up. I never bothered to get one of those instead choosing to just sprint to the necromancers to greatsword them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

All that work for the cursebite and paladin gear and Seath never even hit me with curse. Goddamn you :darksouls:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So gently caress Lost Izalith.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Have you tried talking to the Fair Lady? Toss some humanity her way and never have to deal with Lost Izalith till your next play through.

Yeah I've got the shortcut but it's still such a long trek back to the Bed of Chaos when I get murdered by it.

Edit: poo poo there's a close bonfire.

Edit2: Trial and error got me past.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 18, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

When I kill Gwyn it's game over right? I want to go do all the bonfire kindling and npc hunting before I move onto the end but I kinda want to go kill that old bastard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

EC posted:

Killing him takes you directly to NG+, so get all your busywork done beforehand.

drat. Guess I'll start doin some leg work then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

If we're going to call out dull bosses, I'd actually say that 4 kings was the most dull. Very little maneuvering, no real weakness to exploit; just get up in a king's grill while wearing the heaviest armor you can bear and slug it out before you get swarmed.

I'd say Pinwheel was the worst. I don't even think he touched me. I just walked up and stuck a dark knight greatsword +5 into him. The guy who drops the lava walk ring met a similar fate. At least I died to the kings once.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dewgy posted:

Doesn't make the Great Hollow any less bullshit, but you don't really have to go there.

The worst thing was following the Double Jump guide maps but not reading things. It shows the great hollow right after Queelag. Three hours later I made it to the end just to go "now what?" then I read it say "If you can warp leave now but if you can't start hoofing it to Sens Fortress" I was quite pissed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know what the best part of Dark Souls PC would be? Mods. You could basically play the game forever. Dunno how that would work with online play though.

I just figure that pc gamers will mod it easier. I know I sound pretty console warrior on this but I know a lot of pc gamers that use quicksave/load as a crutch and do it before they enter every new room.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

The Moonlight Butterfly is supposed to die easily and make you feel bad for killing such a majestic beast for virtually no reason. Finding more in the crystal cavern that are non aggressive compound that.

Pfft no reason? Fucker shot lasers at me!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't think I've ever summoned a player to help. I never can find the summon signs so I've just had to brute force everything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Krinkle posted:

this guy I summoned took me around the left edge wall and died trying to make a jump. I lost three humanity trying to recreate his stupid jump that doesn't even work.

OH GOD drat IT. i'm looking up to block these hands and they keep removing the floor. I've died so many times.

I stripped down all my armor and ran for it eventually I made it past. It's an added bonus because you can cruise past all the everythings between the bonfire and the fog door.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I'm at Gwyn and the advice of "parry his attack" isn't working for me because I've not been able to parry anyone at all the entire game. Any other advice?

And of course right after I post this I parry him three times. Still died though. But I made progress!

Len fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 25, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't really know a way to beat Gwyn without parrying that isn't a drawn out slugfest; he gives very few opportunities to attack him. It's probably quicker to learn to parry from scratch.

Here's a tip: block the first attack of his combos, and parry the second.

The first attack knocks me right on my rear end. I'm using the grass crest shield +5. What should I be using?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TalonDemonKing posted:

You monster. Bring a good, upgraded shield and a fuckload of stamina

I took Havels and a two handed Black Knight Sword. Turns out Sif is weak to a sword to the junk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Still on Gwyn. Still poo poo at parrying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bullstuff posted:

What's your SL?

97 on the PS3

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Schlegel Mach posted:

Learn how to parry better.

Here, have some strategies.

This advice is about as awesome as the "Go all the way to the end of the tomb of giants to get the paladin armor" but I'll keep trying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Things I learned today: Homing crystals don't go through fog walls. And in the time it takes to pull a sword out Gwyn can hit you, grab you, and kill you. Yay now I get to slog past these knights again. But at least I have ALL the titanite chunks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exploded posted:

Sucking at fighting gwyn is a great way to generate titanite chunks.

It's the best way. I have so many chunks I could upgrade all of the things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm getting really close to saying gently caress it and just summoning help for Gwyn. I don't want to though cause I've gone the entire game without summoning anyone so it would ruin it now.

Edit: Being poo poo at Gwyn really is the best way to grind for titanite. If only I gave two shits about all of it.

Double edit: Where are the summon signs at in the kiln? I'm running around and not seeing any. I'm level 97 on the ps3.

Triple edit: And I'm dead before I even get to Gwyn. God drat it I've stuck through this game for everything but this is just getting frustrating. And I know if I stop playing now I won't come back for a long time if ever.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GrahamBLY posted:

Someone's going to have a tingling Black Eye when this is over!

First of all, proof of vindication! I actually did not kill and am only partially responsible for the death of the firekeeper. This is good news, and I don't think anyone knows that I'm the guy who let Lautrec out of his cell. Serves me right for trying to do a good deed in this awful world.

Second of all, Lautrec?? How the hell did he manage to kill the firekeeper, the only time I've seen him fight all he did was flop around on the ground under the Gaping dragon. This guy is going to be a breeze to bring to justice, how cute, he's even giving a monologue. These two guys with him look like clerics, and we all know what accidental pushovers those guys are.

Third of all, who taught this guy how to fight between his performance in the gaping dragon and now? Holy crap his swords go through my shield. His buddies tie me up and he cuts me down. Why is it that every time I master one person fighting, and then TWO person fighting, the gods laugh and say "Now fight THREE you fool!"?

I have decided after several attempts at splitting them up and using devious trickery, arcane tomfoolery, and poison poo pies, Lautrec is just going to have to evade justice a little bit longer, because I have a fog door to go through, a boss to kill, and my own destiny to forge.

So I'll just mosey on through this fog door and see what awful thing waits for me in here. Given the theme of the level maybe it's a rare creature of angelic beauty, bathed in a halo of light.

"TWO bosses?? Urgot to be kidding me!" OR "Fat Man and Lightning Boy"
Entrance joke depending on your generation I guess.

Funny how I was just talking about learning how to fight multiple enemies and DS read my mind! I wasn't talking about bosses you rear end in a top hat!! Well we're in the poo poo now. Here comes the crab man with his giant hammer and his little navi buddy flashing all over the place, except instead of "HEY LISTEN" its "HEY have a lightning SPEAR to the BACK".

Nothing is obvious, fat man seems much more manageable, but my gut tells me it's going to be impossible to turn my back on lightning boy. (Well kind of my gut, but mostly my back and the spears sticking out of it)

I haven't even bothered to bring in Brolaire yet, I want to make sure I have some idea of what's going on before I burn that precious humanity. Have to go pretend I have a life now, and this is not something I could even think about drunk, so I suppose saturday morning I'm going to spend some time with these two.

Equip Havels armor two hand a weapon and get your :black101: on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Khobra posted:

So picture this. You're Artorias. You end up questing in the abyss for whatever reason. Thousands of years battling the darkwraiths slowly starts taking its toll. But you've got one thought to keep hold of; one thought to keep you sane. Finally, you're done and return to Lordran. What brief joy you have is quickly shattered - some fucker just killed your dog.

The dog was aggressive and needed to be put down :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Seems like a good idea to me on their part. I can only imagine a good number of the people going "PUT IT ON PC" already have the console version and won't want to buy the PC version if it's the same as what they already have.

• Locked thread