Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a finite amount of humanity in the game? I seem to have gained some humanity as I played but I never used the consumable humanity items I picked up from corpses. I guess you accumulate some while leveling?

The reason I ask is I don't know if I should be stingy about using it to kindle bonfires, or if I should just be upgrading when I can (since bonfires seem more rare'ish than I originally thought they would be).

Also I have no idea how to go about upgrading weapons smartly without hoarding everything I find until I decide way late. Can I just start upgrading weapons I find useful (like an ordinary scimitar) or should I wait until I find a unique variant of a weapon I like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zebrasectomy posted:

Are there any other benefits to having a high dex? Does it add extra damage to dex based weapons or anything? I was planning on playing an agile character and this may change how much I actually bump his dex up (I was thinking about capping at 30, maybe I should only go to 24 or something?)
Weapons traditionally having a scaler rating for a bunch of particular stats, you can see them in the weapon info. Dexterity is on there and several weapons benefit more from dexterity than strength and vice versia.

Scimitars and Bows are particularly dex heavy in my experience. I'm sure there's a lot more though.

That's too bad the special roll is item related and not dex related.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 6, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Would you still need port forwarding for the multiplayer if are experiencing all the other passive multiplayer stuff? I just figured I haven't seen any summoning stones for some other reason. I never realized it might be a port issue if all the other multiplayer stuff was working fine.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Aaargh the Taurus Demon is pissing me off. I understand you're supposed to repeatedly plunge attack him but I keep getting stuck in him and his vague hitboxes can go to hell.
There's so many ways to fight that boss, just try something differently. Even the generic roll away, charge attack, rinse/repeat works.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do shopkeepers ever restock? Looking for titanite to upgrade some weapons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Goddamn why does everyone I summon into my game suck but everyone I help just absolutely owns at the game. Ugh!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I see signs very often near bosses and usually my sign gets summoned very quickly. I am still in the 20'ish soul level range, so I'd guess some people are just way ahead of the curve at this point.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Invite me if you're near level 60 Rascyc I'm incredible.
Haha, apparently the trick is to summon people with Japanese sounding handles. Got one dude who somehow 3-shot the boss I was having trouble with. Not sure how I feel about it but I didn't want to lose the souls and humanity that I was leaving behind on that boss.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does dropping your white symbol as a zombie actually do anything? My understanding is multiplayer is pretty much barred from zombies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Someone just told me I see way more summoning symbols in general because I'm in the Way of the White covenant. That's kind of neat.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Would anyone know why I never ran into a guy locked in the bell tower? I see him all the time when I ghost and help other people in their game, but I never saw him in mine. I went to that place after I beat the boss and it's just empty and I can't open the door.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So I presume I'll see him later on then and that I haven't missed out on those sweet rewards ... I hope.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nigulus Rex posted:

You don't get a ring for freeing him. He releases himself if you don't free him and you can proceed as normal. The only thing you get from freeing him is a sun medal thing.
Yeah, you'll find him back in Firelink, by the fire shrine girl (although sometimes he vanishes and reappears later on).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^^^ people have gone as high as 36 dex and posted that they got no upgraded roll without the item.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Last I heard you need over 30 dex...so many 31? Not sure. I'll look in my guide when I get home, assuming someone doesn't answer it by then.
No this turned out to be a lie. It's an item that gives you the upgraded roll.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

katkillad2 posted:

For those of you wanting some PVP action, i'd suggest trying to invade in the forest area behind the sealed door. Everytime i'm human form there it only takes a minute or two before i'm invaded. I lost twice...once because I got double invaded and the second time because I had an add on me the whole fight. Was still fun though!
I believe this section of the game is basically the Old Monk of Demons Souls.

There's a covenant at work that people have joined which obligates them to be summoned to that section of the forest when trespassers enter.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

enojy posted:

Are you given a warning prior to ditching a covenant? I've made enough mistakes with my first character to just say gently caress it, so I went back to Firelink Shrine and (accidentally learned Sorcery, then) learned Pyromancy. I was a member of a covenant prior to this -- did I ditch? It didn't say anything about leaving my current covenant.
Not all trainers are covenant bound I believe. In fact I think only the miracle one at the start, and a later witch character are actual covenants. I might be mistaken since I haven't messed with that part of the game extensively myself.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NESguerilla posted:

So I need an item to leave rate messages right? I feel like I missed this somewhere along the line. I am like 15 hours in and I feel ike I should have this already.

Merchant in the Burg sells it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have three sun medals, but I have no idea where they came from...
You had a member of the Sun covenant with you when you killed a boss. Either an NPC summoned phantom or a PC who has a covenant (they show up as gold phantoms instead of white).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Boosh! posted:

Ahh that's why suppose. Where's the little nest?

edit: Found it, fingers crossed (he didn't crow)

It's off on a ledge. Facing the asylum it should be to the left if I remember correctly. Facing the nest, it should be on the right. Do a little exploring out on the cliff, it's there. Some voice acting triggers when you get near it.

Partial Octopus posted:

Where is this gate? I rang both bells and now have no idea what to do.
The floor above the blacksmith in the Undead Parish, the area you traversed to the first bell. The floor has a bonfire in the center and a doorway that leads to it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Priam posted:

Is anyone else having fps-related issues in Blighttown on their PS3? Seems to get really choppy, wondering if it's just me or what.
The game has a couple of FPS issues but yes, it is at its worst in Blight town. It is a train wreck at times.

I also get a mess of FPS issues whenever I phantom in someone else's game or vice versia.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bruc posted:

Sorry if I missed it but this thread moves very fast, I didn't play the first game, and am picking this up today, I was thinking of playing a lightly armored rogue type but is that going to be a bad choice for a beginner player? this game seems hard enough as it is so I am hoping to go for one of the easier class types for my first playthrough.
Rolling still has a place but I feel like a lot of the early game is tight quarter fighting. Having good timing with the shield has been way better for me than rolling lately.

That being said I still wear light armor just so I can roll. Having a good shield is independent of your armor, but you do want to upgrade it for stability and also level END to have a larger stamina pool in general (which helps you wear heavier armor when you need it eventually).

END is such a god-stat in general. I'd suggest focusing more on how you level your stats, that way you can always change your armor style if you wish later on. If you're worried about classes - I wouldn't be. There's a lot of loot in general to start you off and you'll make due one way or the other.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm actually regretting taking master key on my first play (well actually I didn't "take" it so much as start as a thief), since it's made the game a bit more confusing in terms of figuring out where I am and where I should be at my level. It's really more of a second play sort of item when you know where everything is.
It's really not that much more confusing when you think about it. Even doing the first quest, it actually only opens maybe two alternative paths that you may not want to access.

It does give you access to some nice early game loot but unfortunately one of them appears to be poo poo/buggy (the shortsword).

But yeah, master key isn't as important as originally thought. Just pick what you like.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DeathSandwich posted:

Fire damage is basically the same as in demon souls: really.effective on most enemies, but when they resist, they resist it hard. Lightning on the other hand tends to be exceptionally effective on pretty much every enemy I've ran into.
There's an in-game loading screen tip that basically says Lightning is pretty much the god element in the game. That was in regards to a spell so I imagine it carries over to weapons and stuff.

Judging by all of Col Sanders posts, the Lightning Halberd sounds like one of the best weapons in the game and I don't think he's done absolutely anything to upgrade it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Satanos posted:

And it let me stumble upon Astora's Short Sword super early, that validates everything about it in my eyes.
Supposedly that weapon is suspected as being bugged, or at the very least: lovely. Kinda sucky, I know.

I kinda want to test it personally and see what happens.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lagos posted:

So I decided to go with magic spear (as opposed to sword or "spear and magic helmet"). What made my choice for me was noticing that while you can still block while using a spear just as in Demon's Souls, it looks like in dark souls, it doesn't cost any more stamina to do so than a regular spear strike.
Instead it just seems to consume a lot more stamina than I remember it doing in Demon's Souls. I do not like spears very well in this one but maybe I am imagining things.

Had a lot of fun with estocs though!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

User0015 posted:

Is dual-wielding in this game possible/viable?

Actually forget the viable. Is it mechanically possible?
It's mechanically possible and either weapons responds well to their respective shoulder buttons. Some weapons have special riposte properties in the left hand in fact.

Whether it's good or not, that's up to you. Definitely not for beginners though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Where's the key to open the door to the bonfire in the Depths? I unlocked it with the Master Key but I haven't seen a normal key that would unlock it. Master Key proved its worth this time for me.

Also random trip report but I got a baldur shield off those caped skeletons in the bell tower and it's like 7 stability more than the hallowed shield at the cost of 10% fire resist less. Pretty great trade from where I'm at, and it looks pretty nice too.

RotationSurgeon posted:

How many arrows am I looking at to break this dragon's tail.
I've read anywhere between 10 to 50. It took me like 20 with a dex of 16 and a shortbow, it wasn't really as arduous as range killing the dragon back in Demon Souls. Note that the drake doesn't actually go away either.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I am honestly keeping my Covenants as simple as possible for my first playthrough. There's enough poo poo to worry about without having to check the wiki constantly trying to get the more elaborate ones.

I'll probably do White, Gwen, and then Sun cause Gold Ghostform while helping people is pretty rad. Plus lightning.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah if I understood the wiki correctly, you can leave any Covenant without any penalties. If you break their rules, that's when the Sin comes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wow, the boss in the Depths ...

Is probably the easiest thing I've ever fought in a video game. Wonder what happened there?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm level 26, have a +5 halberd, +3 tower shield, and +1 armor. Can I solo capra?
Yeah, you should be fine. If it still seems hard just try something else. Magic shield really helped me here a lot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
5 fps Blighttown is almost enough for me to stop playing this game, ugh.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gazmachine posted:

Hahahaha, this game just accidentally threw me a huge bone. I just found a hell of a bug: (early game spoilers) I went up the tower that immediately precedes the first metal hog you fight, the one with a knight at the top. I killed the knight and proceeded to fire one single arrow into the back of the dragon, not sure where, around the top of his back. He screeched then clipped through the bridge and flew down. He disappeared, his screech sound file ended abruptly and, about 20 seconds later, I got 10,000 souls!.
Yeah that's an unfortunate bug actually. You won't be able to get the Draketooth Sword from shooting the tail which makes a lot of the early game easier.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Paino posted:

The second boss (well, third including the prologue) is pretty silly. In DS, Maneater actually punished you for taking too long by summoning a companion; this time there's no logic to it, they just pull it out of their asses because gently caress you, this is Dark Souls, bitch. Oh, and if they manage to be one in front of you and one behind (pretty easy considering their range of movement) you'll die regardless of how well you play.

So it's true, this game just forces you to play co-op to kill certain bosses. Pretty disappointing.
There's plenty of people who've posted videos of them solo'ing the belltower gargoyles. Without the Draketooth Sword for that matter.

One guy even does it shirtless. With a halberd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDtWlLsRlLI&feature=player_detailpage#t=150s

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You know I kinda wish the Draketooth Sword and Lightning Spear weren't in the game. Seems like there isn't too much motivation beyond around messing to not use those two weapons. Sure they may not scale, but their damage params are so high as it is for a first playthrough.

I guess in a way they're a bone to be thrown to make the game a bit easier?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Filthy Monkey posted:

If you go to the catacombs before Sen Fortress, you can pretty easily make a +5 fire weapon which will outclass both of those weapons.

Did you make that +5 fire weapon from a base weapon like a Falchion or Longsword?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Almost Smart posted:

2. I can't go more than a few feet into Blighttown without getting :toxx:ed (thanks for two loving poison statuses that function identically but require separate antidotes, From!). Any advice on how to avoid this?
The Gargoyle Axe is one of the few sources of Toxic resist I know of. Thankfully the dudes who throw the toxic daggers stay dead once you kill them.

Paino posted:

Yeah well there are also videos of japanese dudes speed-playing Super Mario Bros 3 in 15 minutes. I'm very happy for that shirtless guy with a halberd, but my point was that, as underlined by several reviews and players, this game doesn't know what "fair" means. Unlike the first DS, it just seems to throw random poo poo at you and coop is simply necessary to survive. Still one hell of a game, but way less balanced than the first.
I dunno I thought the gargoyles were pretty fair. The attacks are well telegraphed, there's no targeting antics aside from if someone flies over you (which does get kinda lovely, I'll admit), and you practically have to try to fall off. The attacks themselves are surprisingly weak enough to block reliably.

The only trick to the fight is just burning down one gargoyle as soon as possible. Try lightning resin, which you buy from the merchant in the undead burg.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr. Crow posted:

So what the hell was this poo poo, some dude invaded and he had two ghost players (I assume) with him that I couldn't even target or damage but they could hit me (and killed me)?

loving retarded.
This sounds like the heart of the forest area, in darkroot garden. Those ghosts are just normal enemies that are on the side of the people who join the Covenant to defend the forest.

People in that Covenant get summoned to defend the forest from trespassers.

You can hit those ghosts while cursed, and I believe in that area you can also use magic weapons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^^ Something opens up later on that will let you "sell" items for souls. It happens after you ring the two bells.

Paino posted:

Well I will obviously use the lightning resin now, but am I happy that the first real boss was so randomly difficult that I had to look for help in a forum? No. If that's how the rest of Dark Soul's gonna be, fine, but gently caress From's artistic vision/full immersion poo poo. If boss design is so extreme to become unfair then DS will only be enojoyable via gamefaqs or co-op.
Don't worry a couple of the bosses are super easy and make me wonder why they are in the game in the first place.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^ Little of column A, little of column B. Both would help you here. If you have access to the depths you can buy a crystal shield that will help, or you can just dodge better in general. Having better more offensive power means less air phases as well.

im a girl btw posted:

I'm SL 18 and have 14.5k souls. I can get just under 4k souls in just under 20 minutes by starting at firelight shrine, going through the burbs and undead parish killing everything I come across. Should I just spend my souls on levelling, or is it worth buying that item off the blacksmith that opens the door in the forest?

If you are willing to use a little bit of geometry abuse to net like 8k souls in under a minute, then you can save up for the key. I'd only do that if you're going to go straight for the key though, otherwise just go ahead and level and play on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Schwack posted:

Im sitting at SL 37 and seemingly need to go into Blighttown. My first trek in there was a bit of a mess as I was hit with Toxin almost immediately. I cant really afford to buy many of the Flowering Mosses, and farming them is just an exercise in frustration. Where should I be going to rack up a decent number of souls to get ready for this?

Also, is there any item that lets you lock onto 'invisible' NPCs? Thats honestly the worst thing I've seen in this game in terms of complete and total bullshit.
Depths soul farming is pretty good if you are an expert at dodging curses. Otherwise you can do the soul geometry abuse in the heart of the forest at Darkroot Garden if you unlocked the door. I'm not too sure if there's really any super spots.

To be honest though, SL 37 is pretty good for Blighttown. I did most of Blighttown at like SL 34. Did you get the shield in the Depths that blocks toxin (at least when you are guarding)? That might help you a bit.

Keep in mind the toxin throwers stay permanently dead once you kill them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Is there any decent early soul farming spots like the reaper in 4-2?
SOP procedure seems to be to kill one of the two bosses early in the game that gets you 20-25k souls and then buy the key off the Undead Parish blacksmith. Unlock the door to the forest and then begin geometry abusing.

Two early bosses taht give you that many souls are the Depths boss and the Asylum secret boss. Alternatively you can just grind the 20k yourself using your own methods (e.g., killing the gargoyle and then grinding the 10k off the Parish stuff).

The forest soul trick is shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Schwack posted:

No, I must have missed that in the Depths.

Care to elaborate a bit on the Darkroot Garden thing?
If you go to where the butchery is before dropping into the sewers, there's a small hole you can find behind a barrel by the table covered with meat. Drop down that and just look around for a lootable on the ledges, it should be pretty obvious.

In case you missed my post above (this thread does move fast), the video showing the gambit is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nah, you need the 20,000 soul key from the blacksmith.

Regarding crystal equipment from the depths, keep in mind they are not repairable.

• Locked thread