Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Meat Miracle posted:

I got attacked by a weird monster in the undead parish on the way from the Firelink shortcut to the blacksmith (where the big tower knight and first firekeeper soul were). It looked like a sort of tiny jellyfish thing which threw a couple of spells at me before I killed it (dropped some humanity). I've never seen anything like that there before, anyone know what triggered it?

Oh I think that's a vagrant/drift item. That spot is one where it can show up.

Did it look like a ball that had some legs on the bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Volitaire posted:

I don't think that'd be very reliable. NPCs don't look like that when you invade, they look like ghosts because you can't directly interact with them. I have to believe that most people would notice this.

But, that rule is different for the forest covenant.

And I think they were afraid of attacking shiva and getting booted from the covenant.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

neetz posted:

It has two Bs for scaling in Faith and Intelligence rather than two Cs. It permanently kills skeletons too.

The pure is from the broken sword right? I'm thinking of doing this on this character's run.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Requested_Username posted:

I wonder if anyone's hit the max level yet?

Just in case some of you are wondering, it's 792, requiring 11 million souls to get there from 791. If someone with more free time than me wants to figure out how many souls total that is, here's the wiki page with all the soul level requirements: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/level-up-souls

TWO BILLION!

EDIT: E;FB!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rascyc posted:

People keep talking about Lightning Zwei+5 hitting the hardest of the elementals, but I'm pretty certain it's actually Fire Zwei+10, by a slim margin.

That looks similar to Orstein's armor, yeah. Not exact though.
The only downside to fire is that it takes more materials and almost everything has better fire resistance than lightning resistance. So lightning wins till a patch improves scaling.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

As far as I'm concerned, anything is fair game, even glitches. Nothing gets you a free pass, all you're doing is saving time. Farming the forest path is not functionally different from using the dragon head glitch. Do what you feel like, man.

I have to kind of agree with this. It doesn't really matter since there aren't any items you can buy unlimited heals from if you chose to invade, and there is a hell of a lot of diminishing returns once you hit a stat at 50.

A guy with every stat at 50 may have trouble with a NG+ or NG++ boss, but an optimized build will know what to do and probably focused more on strategy and as such probably trained himself for the boss far more than the guy with 50 in every stat.

Really, farming in games period are needlessly grinds (except for harvest moon games)and if it means you're just going to get all the items/weapons you want in 1 hour, than 10 hours, that's actually good. i applaud you for saving yourself time. Life is too short just to be spending hours grinding for souls/materials/etc

oh god why am I doing dark souls plat twice, having to farm for 18 souvenir of reprisals SUCKS!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I need help on this guys. I need to borrow someone's Dark Hand for the trophy.

SL is 56 so around 50-60 is good. (Xbox 360 version)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Working on upgrading my Black Knight getup. I don't like its normal helmet so I've been experimenting with various different ones... the Hollow Thief's Hood actually looks really good with it - it's the same colour of brown as the outfit, and nests within the big flares from where the pauldrons meet the gorget very nicely.

The Mask of Velka looks amazing with it, though. I guess once these clams give up the titanite (or the giant smith, depending on the circumstances) I'll... consider +5ing it too...

:negative: my... my twinkling titanite...

I dunno if you've missed the chat, but the patch arriving soon will have the blacksmith in Londo selling twilking titanite (hopefully).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

waspinator posted:

don't miss out on the epic level 1 invasions:

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

I mentioned this in the stream, but if you're getting tired of low level Pariah invasions, you should try wearing Iron Golem armor and using the Iron Golem axe (don't forget the special R2!) and invade in Sen's Fortress.

Little Iron Golem bro just protecting his big bro!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Everyone tune in, wasp just used my idea and is gonna be IRON GOLEM!

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

You know, the way things scale in NG+ is odd. Everything is adjusted on it's own. Some enemies get a bigger health increase then others, some get more damage. New Londo Ghosts, for example, get a teeny health increase, and a GIANT damage boost. Something like 2 to 3 times as much. It's bonkers.

Also NGx5 is starting to border on the obscene.

Wasp, you probably CAN use the special effect. I keep a Channeler's trident on me when I PvP just for the silly dance, despite not being able to use it right.

Speaking of which, get yourself a Trident.

Next, why not a channeler run, counting on buffing enemies and helping them kill the invadee!

Be all passive, throwing dung pies and maybe poison knives and tailsmans to keep the player on edge.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rascyc posted:

This makes me super happy. Especially since Dark Souls isn't REALLY an especially grueling game. Wake the gently caress up Japan, you don't have to make mind blowingly simple games to be successful >_<

To be fair, we're really bad at this too. Look at FPS with regen, autosave checkpoints or platformers where you can't die (prince of persia, enslaved).

Dark Souls is just as grueling as old NES games, where you often have to memorize patterns.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The males drop the Jagged Ghost Blade. There's also a regular Ghost Blade dropped by the female ones that scream when they see you, and it's also needed for the achievement.

No it's not. You only need the jagged. Any guide that mentions Ghost Blade only are wrong. (the future press gudie is severely wrong on weapons for trophies)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

So does anyone have an list of all the actual weapons you need for the Knight's Honor achievement? I've seen conflicting lists on several wikis

The best one seems to be on the wikidot. It mentions some stuff like the Dark Hand which isn't even on the future press guide at all.

The biggest thing everyone needs to know is that you don't need the regular ghost blade, just the jagged ghost blade.

And you need a crescent axe from Patches.

You can also assume you need all boss weapons, all drops from black and silver knights, and some of the other rare enemy weapons like Channeler's Trident.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nakar posted:

Got the Platinum last night, with all I needed from NG++ an extra Sif's soul. But of course, I also had to get up to the blacksmith in Anor Londo to actually forge Sif and Gwyn's souls into two piss-useless greatswords.

Now thinking about this, I only actually needed to kill three bosses other than Sif: Quelaag and the Gargoyles for the bells, plus the Iron Golem in Sen's. And then make it through Anor Londo, of course. But hey, I got 20 charges of Homing Crystal Soulmass, bring it.

Started at 8pm. Quelaag was down at 8:17. Sif at 8:23. Gargoyles at 8:27. Died once in Sen's to the third set of blades (not the blades themselves, but I tried to ninja-flip through them and fell off inches before the door), then took down the Iron Golem at 8:40. At 8:50 I reached the Giant Blacksmith. Platinum at 8:51.

Getting to that point in my first game took me 25 hours. :(

That's the best part of playing NG+ (and replaying on a new character) It was like that in Demon's Souls too. It took me far less time to get my two combined platinums on Asian/European copies as it did on my NTSC copy.

And even if you replay with another character in the future, you'll be back in the same spot in 5 hours or less even with lovely equipment.

The first playthrough of Dark/Demon's Souls is an experience to be saviored.

Bring on the third Soul game!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I've got two platinums (PS3+Xbox)

First platinum took me 90 hours. First playthrough took me 50-60 hours, then the second wasn't even 20 hours (and I farmed titans so I could get all the +5/10 trophies plus have weapons for boss souls, plus had to do the covenant item farms). Third playthrough would have been only an hour but I screwed up and missed the Channeler's Trident and Crescent axe, so I had to do far more than needed (had to beat O+S on NG++).

Xbox? 55 hours, and again I screwed up by not getting a dark hand so I waited until I could get summoned by someone who had one, and asked to borrow it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alteisen posted:

What's a good level for jolly co-operation for queelag, I'm sitting on 30k souls at level 17 but don't wanna go up to far.

20 is a good range. You might as well take 3 levels and repair your equipment.

(and if you don't have a repair box, well guess what you should go get next time you're at the blacksmith)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Go to the roof, and face the bonfire. Take the stairs to the right and onionbro is at the bottom, stuck in a room before 3 silver knights.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll be in Sen's Fortress helping anyone that wants to summon me. If you need help anywhere else (Xbox 360) and you're around SL 30, I'll be glad to come join you.

You can hit me up on IRC/AIM.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dear Watson posted:

Do you get a lot of summons at SL30 at sens? I'm SL22 and want to stay that way for a while but I'd love to help people clear out Sens.

-2030 might be one of the best ranges for Sens. The 360 is much more dead than PS3 (which again is now partially dead thanks to the patch) so your mileage may vary. It's possibly the best level range you can be at since you'll get the low level people who are at 20, and maybe capture some of the higher levels up to 50.

It's almost accepted that 50 and above is for Anor Londo and beyond, so if you get close to that range, you're too much for Sens.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

neetz posted:

I dunno, I rushed my fresh character to 50 and there were tonnes of signs outside the boss door. They kept coming even after half a dozen failed summons. Likewise, I drop my summon sign at the Anor Londo boss door at 80 when I'm on my way to the blacksmith and still get a surprising number of summons.

I was summoned by a guy who'd made a fresh PSN ID called "Catarina Knight", so I got ample use out of the prostration gesture until I saw him kick Siegmeyer. During the boss fight I think he used the banishment crystal too. Quite disappointing.

There's gonna be a huge discrepancy in what it should be and what the online presence is. And you can blame forest farming for this.

I've taken 5-6 characters through most, if not the entirely of Dark Souls. Even without grinding and sometimes using boss souls/not using boss souls for quick souls, I usually go around to Sen's in the 30s.

But, since everyone and their mother is gonna know about forest farming, they're gonna be in their 50s or higher, and probably completely unprepared for the levels despite their high soul levels.

I'm not saying the forest shouldn't have been in the game.... but it should have been an area sealed off by the Lordvessal (move the abyss ring somewhere else so you can still do four kings)

Oh, uh, Dear Watson, if you're not in one of these three covenants, join them, because it really helps your White Phantoming (maybe it doesn't really have an effect, but it's so easy to join the covenants so you might as well):
Golden Sunbros (Warriors of Sunlight)
Princess's Guard
Way of White.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 8, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zain posted:

I would say that Darkmoon is only trumped by Gravelord in how ridiculous and hard it is to complete.

What mob do I need to farm in order to get the reprisal signs?

In terms of doing it the normal way? Yes. In terms of farming? Harpies are more annoying.

(harpies in painted world will drop them)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dear Watson posted:

Yeah, my current character is working for the Sunbros, but i remember reading some peoples post saying that after leaving the way of the white to join the sunbros they stopped getting summoned as often.

Which could be rumor as all three co-op covenants are supposed to be linked to each other behind the scenes (according to wikis which I don't take as gospel)

Keep in mind it's been a month after release. Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Battlefield 3 and many other games have come out since then.

That along with the general online issues makes it pretty tough to be summoned/find people to summon. The patch may help, especially if it makes it so everyone's grouped up into one giant 'server' and you only see the freshest 10 summons.

(my speculation is you're most often matched up with the same covenant you're in, but the three covenants I mentioned have a good chance of popping up for anyone, and even when I wasn't in one, I saw plenty of golden signs)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, so, roadblock on the way to the platinum trophy.

I'm well on my way to having the trophies for having all the upgrades maxed, and I'll have the unique weapons trophy as early as next playthrough, Priscilla's tail willing. The problem? Miracles. I haven't been able to get anyone with the blue eye stone or the Darkmoon ring to get the ten souvenirs of reprisal needed for the miracles, so I'm left with one other option: Crow demons in the painted world. Unfortunately, without the patch, the drop rate on them is somewhere in the ballpark of absurdly loving low. Even with 410 item discovery, I got one souvenir from them in roughly an hour of grinding.

I guess I'll just focus on everything else for now. :negative:

Hey schalp, if you're gonna do it the long and slow way, buy 99 homeward bones. Then get your 30 humanity plus ring. Go to the painted world, and from the first bonfire, go into the courtyard then take the door on the left (it's called the annex building, requires the annex key). Head all the way upstairs to that spot where 4 Crow Demon ambush you. Cast Iron Flesh, use a really good twohanded halberd or something and just hit R2 a few times till they all die.

Check all their bodies by touch as it can be hard to see the soul icon. Then use a homeward bone and start another run.

You'll likely get your 9-10 souvenirs you need in 1-3 hours (even with only 300 discovery). I recommend watching Arrested Development off Hulu or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

doomfunk posted:

In Anor Londo, you can get a Silver Knight Shield. It's very, very, very good and - unlike the Hollow Soldier's Shield - will continue to be so after 1.04.

Isn't this only a drop off the silver knights themselves? Takes a hell of a lot of tries to get it to drop. (at 300 item discovery)

It will be the best medium shield after the patch though. (stability wise)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I've been helping people with bosses by using gimmick builds all day today.

I got summoned into someone's world (Blighttown). I notice a phantom using Orinstein's Armor, and using a lightning zwei.

Of course I changed into Smough's and used my lightning axe to fit the mood.
We proceeded to wipe out Blighttown and kill Queelag.

Nothing like two ex-bosses taking down a lower level boss to help newbies. Long Live O+S Justice!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

So I just got platinum. Now I can start with the SL 1 run and other gimmicky bullshit that is bound to crash and burn when I finish Anor Londo.

Make a SL1 run and make sure you get into the darkwraiths.

Also, I've had a lot of fun with a SL30 character (the extra 29 levels really help you diversify some gear) and invading mostly in Sen's Fortress. 12 kills in less than 2 hours.

It's recommended you set them both up as soon as possible, because until the patch hits, pyro rapes, and you can easily kill the four kings at any level.

In fact, if anyone is going to make a low level invader before the patch, you just need to do a few things. Get your pyro hand up to as a high level as possible (do the dragon head glitch, nobody will blame you for it), and buy 2 sets of Combustion, 1 Great Combustion and 1 Iron Flesh. Do as many levels as you need to get your hand up and all, but remember to kill the Four Kings as soon as you get the lordvessel (or even before you get it). A certain somebody will be in the Abyss waiting for you and will allow you to join the Darkwraith Covenant. Give him 10 humanity, and you'll get a red eye orb for unlimited invasions.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 9, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lotish posted:

I tried starting a Guts from Berserk style playthrough with firebombs, a huge greatsword (got lucky with the black knight greatsword) and a crossbow, but I think I'll put the cosplay off until I get the Avelyn because a standard crossbow is just kind of useless.

I can't stand the Black Knight Greatswords R2 attack. Is there a hilariously huge ultrasword in the vein of Dragonbone Smasher I should try?

Dragon greatsword from the stone dragon? 50 strength! (onehanded)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Trinexx posted:

Dark Soul Platinum Obtained

I get breeze through all the required stuff in NG++ to get my final Sif soul and my final Tannite Slab from Stray Demon. I get to the Giant Blacksmith and forge my final stuff and get... nothing.

What the hell. I start going through the checklist I had written down and I'm checking and everything that was there I had.Going back to the various wiki sites it seems that I was missing the Stone Greatsword and Greatshield. One final bit of grinding and a little bit of luck they drop (ending with the Stone Greatshield so that's a confirmed item). I get the Platnium and now I can put the game away for a little now.

Yeah. The wiki.dot website (not wikispaces) seems to have the best list for unique weapons. There's stuff in the guide that you don't need to get like the regular Ghost blade (only the jagged).

It's not as obvious as Demon's Souls, as Demon's Souls was basically if its upgradable with a colorless demon's soul, it's a unique weapon.

But here, there's so much poo poo that's upgradable with twinkling that's not a unique weapon. (for the purpose of the trophy) Stuff like the Channeler's Trident is unique but the titanite catch pole isn't.

Also don't put away the game! work on some more characters, including a low level invader! you could make a SL1 invader, and a SL30 invader (perfect for sen's fortress).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Brian Fellows posted:

Wait wait wait, both of these last two lists have had different items that are required for the trophy. Can anyone confirm/deny whether you need the Channeler's Trident and/or the Demon Spear from the Anor Londo gargoyle things?

The checklist I'm using came out pretty shortly after the game came out and it was based on the guide I'm pretty sure, which means the guide says you don't know either of those two things. Did anyone here get either of those items last so that could confirm that's what gets you the trophy?

Demon's Spear I got anyway because it's not the hardest thing to farm. Channeler's Trident, I confirmed myself as it was the last thing I needed on my PS3 profile.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Funny enough, I do believe 3D dot game heroes is actually made from From Software and actually has armored core and demon's souls references in it.

Cuchulain posted:

Mind you, you don't have to get every achievement on one character, as some people seem to have gotten the impression.

I'm just gonna point out that if you're doing the all weapons trophy, that character has to beat the game 2.5 times. Getting every miracle/spell/pyro is easy compared to that and can be doable.

It's not hard to do it on one character and I imagine it might take longer if you have it spread out between characters.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I like to think of the Drake Sword as a favor the game does for low level people on their first playthrough. It helps vastly with everything up to queelaq, and after that you can use the lightning spear/start getting lots of various upgrades you can do.

And on NG+ it's worthless.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Scrooged posted:

I think its the iron golems mask. Either the anor londo blacksmith or the travelling salesman sells it.

Traveling Salesman will sell any armor that relates to a boss.

Iron Golem
Ornstein
Smough
Gwyndolin
Gwyn

And of course, his fantastic own set. I think that's all of them?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Elysiume posted:

It's interesting at first, but it got old for me really, really quickly. I hated having no good way to position, even after I got the lantern. I could see or block. I'd have been fine with a tiny light radius, but not even being able to see where the edge of a cliff is was awful.

Going back with the Sunlight Maggot makes it a trivial and kind of boring area, though. I think it would have been way better to just give a 2.5' light radius or something. Let you see your feet, and that's about it.
That makes sense but I don't really like it. I hated the dark, but...I don't know, it added something to the game.

And soon the dark did fade..... and only Fire remained.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Looks like Amazon has the Dark Souls CE back in stock somehow, possibly through voodoo magic. Since I kind of already own a normal retail copy I was thinking of buying it and then selling the wrapped game inside on SA Mart or whatever. However I heard that a lot of people who got the CE for free weren't even that thrilled with it so would I be wasting my time and money?

Yeah but you know goons, we'll overexaggurate and complain about even free stuff.

Just get it before it goes up in price again and sell your copy quick because it'll probably be discounted a lot after the end of the year, and the black friday sales won't help. If you don't do it now while the chance presents itself, you'll likely regret it.

The box is much better looking that the cover of the regular game, so if anything, that's worth it the most.

Also, it's loving dark souls, think of it as supporting the developers, and helping even in the tiniest way to get us a third Souls game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

On that 35 min speedrun, you can tell that the patch is probably going to make the game easier. I mean after taraus demon, you get a humanity AND a homeward bone!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think I'm gonna start a new character that doesn't rely on lightning/fire weapons and stay in human forms at all times!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Let's say I'm standing on the bridge with the Drake and I invade someone. Where do I end up in their world? What if they're in an area I don't have access to yet in my game? Where does my bloodstain end up in my game?

Your bloodstain ends up on the spot you used the invading item in.

So if you do it 4 feet from a bonfire, your bloodstain is 4 feet from the bonfire even if you chased them through the entire level.

Also, if you die, you still keep human form. As long as you get back to your bloodstain, you lose nothing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured, so much so that I wondered if they just made it so you couldn't summon at all in NG+. I guess if I'm really lucky I could do it.

I hadn't thought of making a level limited character yet. I have a hard time resisting the urge to level up so I can make use of that new shiny weapon or spell or whatever. All three of my characters are sitting between level 70 and 75 right now.

You'd be surprised. Pre-patch, I found summons for O/S on a level 120 char and a level 200 char.

Hell, staying around 60-70 (maybe 80-100 considering the patch) could see some NG+'s on stuff like the Bell Gargoyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm still amazed by how much the thread movies for a game already 4 months old with a fairly simple online multiplayer system. (I say fairly simple, as there's not a lot of covenant ranks, and doesn't require that huge of a grind, and it's not like there are huge matches ala faction battles in some MMORPGS)

I sort of hope that the DLC is/isn't gonna happen. Dark souls was made perfectly self contained, and unless they can be creative in inserting a new area (or a few, I imagine if they do a DLC pack, it'll be something large and be equivalent to several Dark Souls levels) that's sort of optional like Ash Lake or Painted World.

And I'd rather just have them work on the next Souls game.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 12, 2012

• Locked thread