Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Man, I spent a precious Eye of Death and I've been sitting here for 10 minutes waiting for someone to do something. :(

Can the disaster phantoms be harmed by environmental hazards? Cause I dropped it on the roof of Sen's Fortress, I can only imagine that angry giant chucking boulders wouldn't play nice on phantoms.

Also, a tip for meleeing Titanite Demons: with good mobility and a 100% physical shield, just stick to their right side with your shield up and wait for them to charge up their overhead slam or their swipe (the latter being what you're shielding against). Once they swing, you can two-hand your weapon and land 2-4 hits, depending on its speed. The tricky part is that when you stay there, they'll eventually leap and slam their spear down on you. So when you see them leap, roll away as soon as they leave the ground and you should be safe.

It's very tricky to get right, but I've managed to clear all the Sen's Fortress demons with ease this way.

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

darkhand posted:

No offense but if you want to efficiently use the eyes of death you want players to find them. When they do; they can choose to invade you and hopefully you kill them and get to get more.

I didn't really hide it, it's under the bridge leading to the boulder trap provider giant. I might've put it too close to the wall though, I wish I could see my own sign.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Palleon posted:

He's absolutely useless in the fights I found him summonable for (Gaping Dragon), and he's likely to pretty much instantly die.

Gaping Dragon is such a joke anyway, that you could chop down half its health in the time it'd take to wait for the summons. :laugh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Palleon posted:

When you kill an enemy in a stage where you haven't killed the boss, you get a certain fraction of a humanity point (something like a fraction of a percent). So just killing random enemies over and over in a world with a living boss will eventually give you humanity "out of nowhere".

But what he mentions only happens as you respawn.

I had it happen a lot when I was Way of White, free humanity on respawn. But I haven't had it happen even once since switching to Gravelord.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Twanki posted:

Oh my poison resistance is well up, Shadow everything and yes, spider shield, the swamp was no problem, and those leeches look like nice easy farming fodder. But to reach the snipers I need to get across the bridge right? I couldn't see any other way to go.

Come the other way, from Firelink through New Londo and Valley of Drakes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cosmik Debris posted:

I've yet to see a real reason to pick anything other than master key when you start

If you start with a Thief. :v:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Houdini posted:

Is the thief's "high critical hits" just because of the starting shield/dagger or is there something in the class that's going to make it hit 800 damage from out of nowhere every so often?

Just the Bandit's Knife they start with.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Gonna have to join the Anor Londo hate club. The stretch with the two tower knights, then all the batwing demons before the sniper run... Each of this part I could patiently deal with by itself, but having to redo each part of this bullshit run every time. Goddamn.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

evilalien posted:

Just run by them all. The narrow walkway just after the last set of batwing demons right before the snipers prevent anything from chasing or attacking you.

Yeah, that's what I usually try now, but I still haven't gotten the timing right for stopping & recovering stamina (using Mask of the Child). And I've gotten stabbed in the back so many times by the demon just as I stepped on the walkway.

Elysiume posted:

:words:

What you describe is just about what I was doing my first few runs. Patiently dealing with each knight, demon, etc. on the way to the snipers. But after experimenting (and failing) with ways to deal with those two, I've been trying to speed up the process by just running past everyone, as mentioned. Problem is I'm bad at running past and would probably be better off by being careful again. :saddowns:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: Sure, Fog Rings didn't exist (or I think maybe they did, something like them at least - I distinctly remember there being something that made locking on really drat hard), but any time I invaded as a Black Phantom, I used cheap tactics.

The Graverobber's Ring, making you harder to see by phantoms, and the Thief's Ring, making you stealthier in general.

Between those two, and a combo of poison, bleeding and fatal Secret Daggers, I had so much fun toying with invaders. But I could definitely be targetted. That part of the Fog Ring effect is just cheesy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

So is there some trick to having Humanity? Up until Sen's Fortress, I would occasionally get a free one, especially upon respawning. Maybe it's just because there are fewer enemies, but I haven't gotten a single random Humanity since. I don't want to have to go farm rats or babies. :/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I do, however, randomly get humanity and not know why. The other night I was riding the elevator down to Anor Londo Ruins and FWOOM I got the black mist going into me and got free humanity for no discernible reason. I've also died to bosses and respawned at 1 humanity (and 0 souls so it couldn't have been some random enemy dying out of sight) and been unable to tell why, had that happen at least 5 times I can recall, probably more than that.

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience -- what humanity I've gotten was either random or at respawn, and rarely from just fighting things as everyone seems to say.

Kind of sucks, because the most fun of this game is being in human form, and with summoning working so badly + bosses not restoring you to human form, that almost never happens by itself as it did in Demon's.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

WS6 97 posted:

You know how in ToG most of the creatures stay still till you get very close? Well alot of these Skele-creatures are RED, Hit hard and take forever to kill(Lightning Zweihander+5 takes 6-8 hits. Also, they charge you from far, far away.

So basically, like forcing Pure Black world tendency on three random, hapless victims.

gently caress this Darkmoon poo poo, I'm skulking back to Nito first chance I get. :thumbsup:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Requested_Username posted:

Is it ever worth ascending a shield to elemental/divine/other status?

Sure, if you want to dual wield shields and attack things with your mainhand shield. :haw:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I think I'm going to trade in my 360 Dark Souls for the PS3 one. I know online is messed up and all, but spending 2 hours sitting at SL45 with the Cat Covenant Ring and only getting one invasion... Sucks.

On an unrelated side note, has anyone else gotten occasional white rings hovering a little bit above the ground? I dismissed it as a targeting reticle glitch the first time I saw it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The one invasion I finally got in the Forest Covenant, I ended up against a dude turtling on the stairs, in Smough's armour. I can't blame him, because the other phantom was a fog ring pyromancer.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Vanguard Warden posted:

EDIT: Has anyone actually gotten souls from gravelording? Either it doesn't happen, no one is dying in the UD burg while cursed by me, or I just haven't noticed my soul count changing.

Nope, used up my first three eyes, each time sitting around with absolutely no soul intake (or counter-invasion :smith:).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Everyone has been saying there is a 3 month minimum 'quality control' period for all 360 patches, no matter how needed or minor they are.

TCR turnaround time is slow, but not three months slow.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

Jesus, why do you have so little health?

Because you don't need more than that? :toot:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Hatter106 posted:

Couple of questions:

Do Transient Curses go away if you rest at a bonfire?

If I kill a firekeeper, can I still warp to their bonfire, and rest at it? It won't go out like the Firelink one does?

No, yes, no, yes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

I just picked this up, and it's really good, but it keeps freezing on me. I've got the 360 version and it merrily patched itself when I first loaded it.

I can play for ~10minutes on a good run. Can this be something to do with my particular disc or something? I'm a bit confused. Googling about, it seems like a few others have had problems but there's no solutions.

And that makes me so sad. So very sad.

Try a HD install maybe? You really ought to do it either way, it speeds up load times so much, it's the one advantage the Xbox 360 version has over the PS3's.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Buffer posted:

In Dark Souls there's absolutely no reason to outside of summoning help for a boss, kindling a bonfire, or triggering a dark phantom invasion.

So, in other words, there's no reason not to be human, since hanging out with sunbros squashing invaders (or starting an invasion yourself) is some of the best fun in this game.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Lotish posted:

Except I always rush up there. You have exactly enough time to make it at 25%-49% encumbrance speed. Naked you have even more time. You just need to juke right as you hit the corner because the boulder will go flying when you enter the room. I've made the run over two dozen times and been hit once when I tried it at 50%+ encumbrance.

Yeah, there really is nothing remotely dangerous about that run. On my Thief with 9 VIT + <50% burden, I ran up the stairs multiple times, sometimes even getting hit by the boulder, and never died. If you're really paranoid about it, I think putting your shield up will let you survive no matter what, as long as you're off to the side when you get hit.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

doomfunk posted:

In Anor Londo, you can get a Silver Knight Shield. It's very, very, very good and - unlike the Hollow Soldier's Shield - will continue to be so after 1.04.

How is the Hollow shield affected by 1.04? The stat scaling stuff?

I've just been looking for an excuse to drop the thing for something else.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Dear Watson posted:

farming chunks

That reminds me, as I was searching the wiki for places to find Titanite Chunks (everything needs those goddamned things :argh:), I saw some Black Knights in the Kiln were guaranteed drops. I also recall reading that the Black Knights in the Kiln respawn indefinitely.

Does this mean that the Kiln knights can be used as infinite sources of Red/White/Green/etc. titanite chunks?

Eventually I might go for the crafting trophies, and knowing I could just hang around there until I have everything I need (minus the slabs) would make this whole thing less of an ordeal.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

endlosnull posted:

The Gravelord Sword causes toxic and not poison so it's 2 separate meters. You probably didn't do enough to cause either.

Except I have never seen the Gravelord Sword actually apply a toxic effect, ever.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

unpurposed posted:

What change is that?

Apparently the Master Key no longer opens the door between New Londo and Valley of Drakes. So skipping to Quelaag is gonna get that much harder.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nakar posted:

:words:

We must've fought different stray demons, then, cause I found his moves were so obviously telegraphed, including the explosion. Has it ever occured to you to not try to get behind him? A swipe on the side, or even the front, does the same damage and you get more time to duck out and react to whatever it'll do next.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I think this video shows all the easy tricks to Stray Demon, similar also in how I always start the fight personally: Stray Demon. The Stray Demon even opens up with his AoE here and the player still makes the positioning despite neglecting to roll upon landing (admittedly at less than 25% enc).

Oh yeah, that jumping right as the ground breaks is what I was doing. Plus rolling before landing, which is really just as easy as spamming the dodge button as you fall.

Edit: this is why I haven't yet bothered killing the asylum demon on a new character. 15 minutes of punching a gigantic butt, woo!

vvvvv
but.. but... what if I want the Master Key on a Pyromancer!?

Jan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 8, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

MMD3 posted:

really great explanation, thanks... so basically you activate the eye as a human and then just have to wait around until someone is picked to victimize? does it connect to people fairly quickly? do you need to be in the covenant to do this? I take it then you only get additional eyes if you defeat the victims as they invade you?

Yes. God, hell no. Yes. Yes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Elysiume posted:

No, and anywhere from really easy (join WotW) to reasonable (get every pyromancy) to really long/hard/annoying (get a bunch of weapons, get every miracle).

Most achievements you can get in a single playthrough. I think the weapons and miracles are the only ones that require multiples (weapons needs you to get halfway through NG++), and the miracles require getting 3 covenants to +1.

The achievements are actually really good in this game, in my opinion. In EDF:IA, they were poo poo like "kill 10,000 whatever" which is really lazy design and boring to get.

So instead, it's disguised "Kill 10,000 whatever until you have enough Titanite chunks to ascend whatever you need".

Farming in my single player game, much better!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

yrF posted:

What's the point of the Sniper Crossbow? It has longer range, but you can't lock on over any decent distance and aiming manually is bullshit.

I used it once when I got fed up trying to fight the Anor Londo Titanite Demon in melee, and ran out of arrows shooting at it through the doorway. I noticed I could position the camera just so, and start shooting the unused crossbow bolts I'd randomly picked up over the world.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Sumadartson posted:

Rumor has it dexterity improves casting speed. So, that might be a good bet. Otherwise, resistance?

Not just rumour, it's been confirmed. Up to 45.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Psycho Mantits posted:

So guys, am I hosed?

I, as per the advice of a message on the ground, attacked the firekeeper at the beginning of Anor Londo (didn't know she was the firekeeper, thought she was a statue). I tried three goddamn times to run back through Sen's Fortress to the pardoner guy in Undead Parish, but after three runs all ending in failure I was forced to kill the firekeeper. I never discovered the bonfire in Sen's Fortress either, so my last real bonfire is back by Andre the Blacksmith. I've got no other way to repair my armor and weapons, and the enemies in Anor Londo have used up a good amount of my Estus (wasn't expecting mini Tower Knights and those loving Gargoyles again). So yeah, am I hosed?

Just go through the cathedral with the painting guardians, then flip the bridge all the way to the bottom to use the bonfire there.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Oh, uh, some advice on that jump . . . One side of the gap is smaller than the other so stick to that side. Make sure you've got some health because you CAN survive the fall but it's nasty. It drops you in a fairly convenient place but if you're low on health you're dead.

Better to stick to the middle than risk jumping too far to the left (or right when coming back) and having the landing roll throw you over the edge. The gap is narrow enough in the middle to make the jump with room to spare.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

MonkeyMaker posted:

I'm at Ash Lake, cursed, with no curse cures. Character is a pyromancer. Am I hosed?

No you aren't. Don't get hit. Problem solved.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

The character on the cover is left handed. :v:

No, the character is front facing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

For the taurus demon, use the gold pine resin you get from a chest (if you haven't gotten it yet, buy the residence key from the undead merchant and get them), then just go hug its crotch with your shield up. As soon as it does a swing, odds are it'll miss, then you can get 2-4 hits in with your lightningified weapon, which likely will stagger it, allowing you to get 2-4 more hits in. If it's not dead after that, just put your shield back up and repeat.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

doomfunk posted:

I can't think of any that I absolutely had to jump to. The place is a mess of narrow catwalks and easily-missed ladders.

e: Okay, one. You have to drop down to get the whip.

The Iaito can only be reached by jumping, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

MMD3 posted:

is there a way to kill shiva's bodyguard without requiring absolution?

No.

Any covenant NPC dying while you are in the area, in any matter or form, results in your breaking the covenant.

• Locked thread