Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, nothin' like a really hard game to make you feel like a complete dipshit.

How the hell do I get to the Undead Church? :sigh: The only hint the guy near the campfire is giving me is 'up,' whereas the other route goes down, down, down. I know from Giant Bomb's Quick Look that 'down' is apparently 'death' here. But there's no god drat way 'up!'

There's a way that leads a ways up near the fat guy who eventually teaches you... something or another. There's the watery area near where your giant Lord of the Rings bird is chilling out. There are no doors! I found the treasure chests, but the only way out looked like it dropped into the graveyard, so I used one of the bones I found to warp back to the fire.

I'm sure the answer's obvious and I'm just not seeing it. Little help? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh son of a bitch, how did I not see that?

Actually been having a blast so far, for all the good that means this early. Combat's fun (playing Warrior, seemed the way to go despite the slow rolling) and I'm digging the world. Just... really bad at seeing the blatantly obvious path ahead. :blush:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So the only reason I'm asking is because the last guide I bought ended up being a giant pile of useless poo poo - how's that Future Press guide listed in the OP? It'll be awhile before I buy the game, probably Xmas, but I want to be ready for when I do get it for keeps. That and I just enjoy a really nice strategy guide. What's the verdict, gents?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding. That Dark Souls guide from Future Press is pretty gorgeous. And big. And smooth. What the hell is the cover made out of?

The wait until Christmas is gonna suck. :sigh:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, watching that speed run is crazy. I will never be that good at this game. Watching the version on Niconico for the added comedy of the comments. Pretty much echoing my own at this point. A lot of "What the hell was that?!" moments.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hurrah, I'm getting better at fighting things! :unsmith:

Boo, I keep having to replay the same areas. :(

I mean, I guess it's good for soul harvesting, but I've not advanced in three hours. I'm not even very far in. I just can't find another drat bonfire. I've beaten the giant bull boss on the ramparts, I've kicked the shortcut down, and I'm just a little past where that rear end in a top hat bridge-guarding dragon is. I got to where I can open the courtyard's gate, which I'm hoping means I won't have to take the long way around the area next time. I just got the Basement Key from there, too. Not sure where the basement is. There another bonfire anywhere around there that I should take note of?

My guy looks completely ridiculous. Chainmail chest armor, the Boar's Head helm, a Knight Shield, and a pitiful little shortsword. Was terrified of fighting the bigger knight guys, but they're surprisingly easy. Once I realized that I should really power attack whenever possible, everything got a lot easier. Especially in the narrow corridors you fight a lot of those guys in.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Your progression is normal. New areas will take hours to figure out. Once you know them by heart you'll be able to more or less blow through them. This is the fun of Dark Souls.

Yeah, stuff like seeing how close I am to bonfires is just about all I'm looking for an assist on. Though I did check the map in the awesome Future Press guide just to make sure I was going the right way. Half the fun is bumbling around and running across something awesome. That's how I found the first merchant guy back in the Undead Burg. I rolled into crates because that's what you do and there were stairs!

I got to the blacksmith! :neckbeard: And it was way easier than I was anticipating. The big knight guys in the church were simple, since I managed to lure them outside one at a time. Even the black knight at the back was easy. poo poo, he was easier than the little guys. Pyromancy fire has been really, really useful for me so far.

I've been using a Shortsword pretty much since I found that merchant. It's now at +2, but should I just grab a Long/Broadsword and boost those instead, or just stick with and beef up what I have? And what takes priority on upgrades, weapons or armor? I'm using the Knight Shield I recently picked up. Should I stick with and upgrade that or buy a new one from the blacksmith?

Either way, gonna be farming souls here for awhile to buy a couple things. But the less of that, of course, the better.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well. That just happened.

So I got a bit cocksure with my +2 longsword and +2 tower shield. I remembered there was a spot in the Undead Burg, past the firebombers on the ceiling, then down some stairs near that trap on the other stairs, where a big guy was standing. I think 'yeah, I bet I could take him! I think it's just one of those knights I've been killing!'

Well... it was a knight, yes. But he was uh... he was a bit meaner than I'd expected. My fire did gently caress-all and a heavy attack did just about as much from what I saw. Wasn't quite as impervious to damage as that gigantic motherfucker who was in the garden area. Went to get an item on the right side, he stands up, swings at me and I lose 60% of my health. That guy I ran from. This one I thought I could take.

I learned some things! One, I need to really stop trying to fight things on stairs because it's just going to end in tears and two, it's a fairly lengthy jog back from the blacksmith's bonfire and those stairs!

Not entirely sure if the garden is where I want to be going. The only thing I know people say is that I should go up and ring that bell before heading down. I also know there's a gargoyle boss up there somewhere. I kinda feel like I took a wrong turn, but I'm not sure where. The... treants or whatever, I can kill just fine. They hurt like a bitch if they do that grab, but they die easily. So maybe this is the right way! I just need to avoid obvious traps.

I just spent an hour doing what amounted to absolutely nothing and still had a blast. This game! :psyduck:

E: vvv Ah, jolly good! Adventuring we shall go, then! Just as soon as I find it, adventuring we shall go!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 27, 2011

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So... not only does dying to the gargoyle boss put me back at the Firelink Shrine despite the fact that the only reason I went back there is to level my Flasks up - I didn't go near the bonfire - but you can roll off the roof when fighting the gargoyles, who can of course hit you when you're down. Y'know, when there's absolutely nothing you can loving do to avoid taking damage.

Bull loving poo poo.

E: Yeah, gently caress the programmer who decided enemies can stunlock you. gently caress them in the god drat eyes. Making my way back up, try to run past the lovely 'make you burn all your loving flasks' room with the magic guy and the billion zombies, get stunlocked as they all converge on me and hit me.

E: Oh hey great, and now I can't loving summon that guy to help in combat since my humanity's back at loving 0. Awesome. And since I used my last pine resin, I have absolutely no loving chance of winning at all now! Woooooo!

E: vvv No idea what soapstone is. I'm not playing connected. No subscription to Live since I don't play online games. For a reason. I already hate trying to progress in this loving game. The last thing I want is some hooting dickhole in high level gear to come and rape my ear when I'm trying to get from Point A to Point B. It doesn't matter. I guess I'm done with this game since I can't even get a single clean hit off on the gargoyle. And I know a second one of the fuckers drops eventually, because I'd almost beaten the fight when I rolled off the god drat roof.

Can't roll under his attacks (nowhere near enough stamina or timing sense), can't loving block them, and he can chain together three in a row at the very least, which basically means that if he hits me once I may as well set the loving controller down because that takes me from full health to dead and there's nothing I can do about it.

I tried.

E: vvv Well, I'm certainly going to make an attempt to beat it for a little while. I realized trying to stay away from him is basically the worst idea. Stay up close and he seems to only try to thrust at you (giggity) but then he jumped in the air and knocks half my health off. And then his buddy comes. I can't fight one of them. How the gently caress are you supposed to be able to fight two? One of them hits me for about 55% of my health. I literally have to loving health after every single hit I take. I've made it so that the Firelink and blacksmith bonfires give me 10 flasks but that is nowhere near enough. I don't get it.

Polo-Rican posted:

The gargoyles are really difficult, but don't forget that, as actiony as this game is, it's still an RPG. If something feels outrageously hard, the answer is usually to grind a few levels. Put a few more points into vitality so you can absorb more damage without dying. Also, even if you're not playing online, you should be able to summon Solaire to help you if you're in human form- his summon sign appears right outside of the boss door.

Okay, what level should I be around to fight them, then? Because if it ain't around 15, then it ain't happening. Nothing is worse in any RPG than having to sit, not advancing, and going off to grind 10 loving levels. See also: why I don't play Dragon Quest.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 28, 2011

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God. Okay, so I decide to go grind awhile in the Undead Burg. Had unfinished business with two enemies there. The good news: I have the Blue Tearstone Ring! Which means I have any kind of ring at all now!

The bad news: Yo, that motherfucker with the club that's at the bottom of the tower where the Taurus Demon was? He one-shot killed me. :ohdear: What is that thing and why is he so strong?

Not letting those loving gargoyles beat me, god dammit. I will beat the game, the game will not beat me.

E: vvv I still can't get backstabs to work right. Doesn't matter if I use light/strong attacks, the area you need to be in to trigger it must be really tiny. My equip load's 23.2/54.0, unfortunately I'm using some pretty stupid-rear end gear. My guy looks like a loving idiot. Got the Fang Boar Helm and some Chain Armor and I'm seriously starting to doubt the Chain Armor. Yeah it gives more defense but it weighs like three times what the Tattered Cloth Robe I started in does.

Unfortunately, those are really the only two armors I have. The others are all Hollow Warrior/Soldier armor and those are even heavier than the Chain Armor is. :(

Also in my attempt to search areas I didn't look in before as I head around to try and level a bit, I went up the spiral staircase in the area the Hellkite was guarding. It's past the bonfire just inside the gate, sorta where the armored boar guy was. The knight up there I thought was just like the ones in the church. Huh-uh. Dude hurled my rear end in the air. Gonna be fun getting my corpse back...

...Especially when the zombie on the stairs pulls for some reason and traps me :argh:

E: Yeah, I can't loving do this. I'm doing okay until the second one comes, but then they just destroy me and there's not a loving single thing I can do to stop them. This is such loving horseshit. Oughta snap the disc right now and be done with it. This isn't fun, this is loving raiding in an MMO. This is a second job. No thanks, I don't need that kind of stress. One catches me with his flame breath that takes up 50% of the available ground to work with, stunning me so that the other can come and finish me off. No chance to escape, no blocking, nothing.

So I guess I will let the game beat me. I appreciate the tips, guys, I just suck too drat much at this game to actually get anywhere.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 28, 2011

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't let it go. For some damned reason, I couldn't let it go. It was sitting in the 360 overnight, mocking me. So I decided to give it one last shot before I swapped it for Skyrim.

I beat the bell gargoyles. Didn't do it the way I wanted, but I beat them. Had to go grab the Drake Sword. Even got the gargoyle axe or whatever it's called for snapping the one's tail off. For awhile, didn't feel very good about it. Still don't, really. Feels like I cheated in a better weapon. My Longsword was around +4, and it was around 112 damage, I think? So the Drake Sword wasn't quite twice as strong.

Then I realized oh wait, the game does everything in its power to dick me over, why shouldn't I do the same. So I beat the boss. I guess I just needed to walk away for awhile. And get a stupid-strong sword. One that can't attack for poo poo in small hallways.

So I went to the lower Undead Burg. Killed some dogs, killed some ninjas. Got ninja armor which seems like the most useless armor set ever, given how little protection it gives. Then I went through white light into a tiny area with two dogs and a boss and almost instantly died. Dunno if that isn't the way I want to go or what. It's not a terribly long walk back, but I'll have to kill everything again. Glad I kindled the fire in the upper Undead Burg now...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MZ posted:

I found Pyromancer to be a bad choice for a newbie player, I started as one and got my rear end kicked because the pyromancy was too slow, had pathetic range, and left you open to attacks for a long time while casting. It is difficult to use when most poo poo runs at you......I got kinda stuck very early on.

Started again as a Knight and never looked back.

I had just the opposite reaction. Started Pyro, the fire's been useful as hell (spear guys, clearing bunched-together groups, etc) and I haven't had any problems with the cast time. To be fair, I play Monster Hunter games, so delayed reactions are par for the course. See also: Estus Flasks.

Main problem is not knowing the best stats to raise when I level. Been sorta splitting it between health, strength, occasionally dex, and when I find myself getting pounded on (the gargoyles) defence. Seems to be a 'purchase what you need at the time' system.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to find a couple fun to watch runs and have a NicoNico account, search for 'RTA' - real time attack. It's really good stuff. Hell, most RTA vids are good, but the Souls ones are especially fun. Just wiki the game if you need the katakana for the title.

Apparently there was just some kind of 60-hour Dark Souls relay thing going on? Something on the main page linking to one of the live broadcast streams, anyway.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta ask, is anyone planning a nice, comprehensive Dark Souls LP 'round here? The one for Demon's was so good. As much as I like watching the crazy Japanese players tear the game apart, someone showing off cool tricks and all the hidden poo poo scattered around would be pretty rad. Plus Nico Video tends to load real, real slow at certain hours. Dunno if any non-annoying people on Youtube are playing the game.

Comedy option is to watch DSP fail at the game and laugh at that, I guess. Apparently he never blocks anything? Probably wonders why he dies alot. Seems to be his shtick.

Now that I'm finally over my Xmas/New Year's plague, I can get back to work on my own save. Gonna kill that Capra Demon before the next vernal equinox, I swear. He doesn't even seem that hard, it's just the area's small and I wasn't expecting two dogs and a big guy to rush me in such a tiny space! Went ahead and checked some videos on how to best tackle it... and then my curiosity got the better of me and I looked ahead. Want to fight the Gaping Dragon at once! How is that thing a dragon?!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

It was the Taurus Demon guy, and your closest respawn point is way back at the beginning of the zone with about 50 of those dudes who chuck firebombs at you in between.

Managed to kill the Taurus bro, walked through the next hall and a fuckoff huge dragon set an ENTIRE BRIDGE on fire and one-shotted me. Back to the beginning of the level AGAIN yay!

I am loving the difficulty but the checkpoints are way too far apart from one another. gently caress that drat dragon

Strip your armor off and haul rear end to the middle of the bridge. There are stairs on the right. Go down, heal up, then go back up and haul rear end to the end of the bridge. There's a bonfire just inside. It's more than a bit dangerous, but you can then also open the nearby locked gate and give yourself a shortcut. If you need to top off, top off. You'll get your flasks restocked at the bonfire anyway.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:dance: Capra Demon down on the first attempt today! Haven't played in over a week, so I was pretty rusty, and got hit a lot leading up to him. Dogs kept catching me at bad spots/angles. Also ran around the lower Burg and found the merchant who sells molds or whatever they are to cure poison and found a shortcut back to Firelink, which was nice.

Man, the battle was a comedy of errors, though. Half of it was me freaking out about something or another. When the battle started, I slashed at a dog that was rushing to me. But since I was so rusty, I misjudged his distance. This lead to me getting pushed back into the right wall, which is as far from the stairs as you can get. Somehow I got out, but I had a sliver of health. I manage to get on the stairs and heal and then things got a little easier.

The problem was the dogs! I could've sworn, as I was scrambling to escape the right wall, that I'd killed one. A single regular attack with the Drake Sword's enough to kill them, I wasn't worried that I'd just taken most of its health. I straight up thought I'd iced the little bastard. Only one was doing rounds with the Capra Demon up onto the stairs! ...Then I fell down while trying to pepper the boss with fireballs and oh hi second dog what are you doing down there?!

Eventually got rid of the drat things, and the boss itself was a cakewalk after that. Now the fun part - finding where this Depths key goes! I've got a few ideas where it could be. Generally the idea is 'go down' at the moment, yeah? Got the bell at the top, so the other direction is... Blighttown? Freed the magic merchant while I was running around, there anything I should be using as a mostly melee build? Magic Weapon seems useful at a glance. And what's with the lady and her two bodyguards that've shown up near the fat guy at Firelink? None of them seemed to want to talk to me much, so I left them be.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Angryhead posted:

I hate you, that's what I'm stuck on at the moment. So far the only encounter in the game that has made me ragequit. Those loving dogs and the boss combined usually just stunlock me to death in about three seconds.

I'm going to be trying again tomorrow, but so far in my ~10 attempts it just makes me feel like it's a bullshit fight.

At least I beat the Gargoyle dudes on my first attempt, thanks to the help of Sun Bro.

As someone who is totally crap at the game, that's sometimes the best thing you can do - walk away. Walk away, let some time pass, then come back to it. The second thing to do is just haul-rear end to the stairs, rolling the whole way if you have to. And never loving lock on unless it's just you and the Capra Demon itself. I ate it to the Gargoyles about as many times as you've eaten it to the Capra Demon.

Sometimes it's one of those things where one certain run, everything clicks into place. Even if it still ends up being a hectic battle. The dogs are the only real danger in the drat thing, because they're fast. Try charge attacking the one that rushes with the Demon at the start, then rolling left or just blocking if possible if you can't make it to the stairs.

And do what I did - go to youtube. There are a couple of really nice videos on how to beat the Capra Demon. Watch the lot of 'em. Most will tell you the same stuff, but it helps seeing it in action so you can plan things out in your head.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Angryhead posted:

Posted about being stuck at the Capra Demon yesterday.
Went to sleep after that post.

Woke up today and beat that motherfucker on the first try and shouted "YES!" out loud.

Dark Souls.

It's a good feeling, isn't it? Killing something that gave you so much poo poo before. Even better when it's your first try after taking a break. Dark Souls is a game that will exhaust and break you, but when you keep getting back on your feet, you will eventually push past what's been destroying you and triumph. And that feeling is glorious when it happens.

Today, I nervously begin my trip down into the bowels of the earth. I'm headin' for the Depths finally. I know what door I need to hit up. Gonna farm enough souls for a couple of items that'll help me, and then I'm gonna plunge into the unknown. The only thing I know is that somewhere, there's a Gaping Dragon down there. And I want to fight it.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus. So I started at the Firelink Shrine and headed for the door to the Depths. Dark and spooky! And oh hey, is that one of those Butchers I've heard so much about? I'll just go and say hi to him an--loving torch zombies!

loving torch zombies that were chewing off about 75% of my health in one frenzied swing somehow! :ohdear:

Right. Slow pulls. Still rusty. So I slowly pull the room o' skeletons, notice what appears to be a second Butcher chilling out on an overhead area, half-assedly hidden behind a wall. Went downstairs, killed the first dog... then tried separating the Butcher from his second. That thing did not come away. So I hucked fire into its eyes. It killed the dog, but it also aggroed the Butcher. ...Who proceeded to not come upstairs!

I eventually got him up there, then it was just trying to learn his attacks. Kinda like a Capra Demon with fewer moves, the Butcher is. I got through him, but I'd also gone through a rather embarrassing number of Flasks. But I figure I've barely entered the Depths, I can't go scampering back to heal! Besides, I dunno if Butchers respawn! So I continue on, into the...sludge... and fight another dog and another torch guy. I free Yet Another Man With a Name Starting With L, then proceed onward. ...And hear something odd. I only have enough time to think 'that sounded like the Butcher' before that guy from earlier drops down to say hi.

A bit more of a hectic fight, but I got him backed up into L-guy's room for some space and polished him off. Continue onward, continue onward, hey, it's an item! Let's see wh--oh god what the gently caress just fell on me?! :derp:

And that's the story of how I learned to look up in the sewers.

Made it down the next hall and to the bonfire, but I went through my last two Fireballs and about 5 or 6 Firebombs. Kinda wish I had purchased more, to be honest. The slime things don't take a lot of damage from the Drake Sword, but one firebomb plus one attack is enough to finish them off. Oh well. Smart pulls and fireballs. I can do this.

It was such a short journey, but I feel exhausted already. It didn't take me long at all, but I needed a break. Dark Souls!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have been to the edge of the abyss... and boy howdy, I kicked ten kinds of rear end on the way there and came back without a scratch on me! :haw:

Read: Yo I went from Depths Bonfire to Gaping Dragon then back to Firelink without dying*.

I think the Depths is now my favorite area. It just had so much more charm to it. The Undead Burg and Parish were just some generic castle and out in the open. When I think dungeon crawling, especially in the sequel to Demon's Souls, I think about sneaking around dank, poorly-lit holes in the earth. This fit the bill pretty well! There were some close calls, though! *I actually did die once, but it didn't count. I got stunlocked by that dancing douchebag and his pet rats.

The sewers were gross! I thought I was seeing slimes but no, I guess it was just giant rat poo all over the place. I also ran across some terrifying-looking thing that reminded me of how Konami's made Mothman look in recent Castlevanias. It spit a white cloud at me after scuttling my way. What the hell was that? I saw a couple more behind a gate but I never fought more than the one the entire time I was down there. Mostly it was rats. Including one enormous one with bad eyes! It was the fuckin' ROUS King. Tried ducking in and out of the hallway you enter his room by, but that didn't work. Turns out, he was a pushover.

So was the Gaping Dragon, but it was still a really fun fight. It was probably the most normal/fair fight I've had all game. Probably why I liked it! Its attacks all had really predictable tells. Sliced the tail off and got the ludicrous axe that needs 50 strength to use. I just went from 19 to 20 after returning to Firelink! Won't be using that anytime soon! Also, and I kinda feel like most of his wares were crap, but I bought a crystal sword and shield from the vendor just near the boss' room. I got more Resin but skipped out on any armor. That the right thing to do? I noticed I couldn't upgrade the Crystal Sword/Shield I nabbed. In general, since I have the Drake Sword, kinda bummed I'm not upgrading regularly. Feels like I should be...

Kinda thinking I missed a shortcut, too. There was probably one just inside Blighttown, wasn't there? I opened the door to it after beating the boss, but then I ran my rear end back up the old-fashioned way. Just as well, that magician fella I saved was there. My Pyromancy flame is pretty beefy now! What level do I want that, by the way? And are any of his other fire spells better? I did spend a good chunk of the 20K souls I got on boosting my fire, since I use it so often. Hoping it wasn't a mistake.

E: vvv Oh, I know it was doing something to me. I noticed the status box over me. That's why I rolled the gently caress out of it! What was that creepy, bug-eyed monstrosity and why did it spit The Fog at me?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 6, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, gonna finish some business up around the Burg/Parish before I descend towards Blighttown. I'm terrible at getting backstabs, how long will I be beating my head against Havel before I kill the bastard? And is there any reward for killing the knight on top of the spiral staircase near the Hellkite's bridge? He's the one with the golf swing. I want to kill him on principle, but if he either isn't guarding anything or doesn't drop anything halfway decent, I'll probably ignore him...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Still plinking at Havel, and I was wondering why everybody else seems to have no trouble with Humanity and I never have any, maybe one at most before I die and lose it.

Turns out it's an inventory item, who knew. Time to kindle every bonfire and then some...

If you need more, head to the Depths and farm rats! They drop the stuff! Haven't bothered doing that yet, myself, but I figure there's gotta be some point where having a lot of humanity is useful, outside the occasional in-game summon of an NPC...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

That's what I tried forever and it worked great, but chipping away at his 1000+ hitpoints 20 at a time always led to a slight mistime and me getting squashed. I can't seem to find any consistency to backstabs at all, sometimes I backstab, most of the time I just hack away from behind. If I could figure the backstab system out, this game would be SO much easier

That's where I'm sitting at, too. And I get that enemies have to be in their default state - no attacking or rushing or anything - and that the positioning is kind of precise, but that's just a colossal pain in the rear end. I may end up just arrow-cheesing him because there's just no way I'm going to ever beat Havel via rolling and backstabbing. If I can't guard versus it, it's not being avoided.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God dammit, god dammit! gently caress Havel in the eye with a sword!

L26, still get one-shot killed by him if he gets a clean hit in. I have almost 700HP, how the gently caress much damage does this bag of dicks do?! Ugh, I was doing so well, too, and I know I'll be able to beat him sooner or later, but backstabs have no rhyme or reason to when they come out. None. It is an impossible thing to learn. They make no sense, gently caress trying for backstabs, that's what got me loving killed.

I'll just get my two or three swings in and stand there fighting him for an hour, because no matter what angle I come in on him from, I cannot get the backstab off on him, so gently caress it. Had him below half health and got knocked into a wall. Doing everything I can to prolong having to deal with Blighttown. Unfortunately the things I've put off are also bullshit so it doesn't really work out the way I was hoping.

Back to the grind. :sigh:

E: Annnd dead again. Yeah, just about ready to say gently caress this fight. Two tries, I'm done.

E: And of course right after I decide to quit I give it one last chance and win. :argh:

E: Well, I killed the golf swing knight, but now the Hellkite's gone. So I went to the blacksmith and I'm trying to kill that one-legged headless thing. Pretty simple, but I died due to a dumb mistake. Also, looks like my shield can ascend if I have the right stuff. I think I need Twinkling Titanite for it? When's the soonest I can nab one of those?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 8, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rollersnake posted:

You can get four from the crow's nest if you return to the Undead Asylum and leave a Bloodred Moss, Purple Moss, and Blooming Purple Moss. These are frequently dropped by the monsters immediately past the Titanite Demon you're fighting now.

Also backstabbing really isn't at all hard to do reliably once you're sure of what you're doing. And Havel in particular is really easy to backstab due to his long recovery time, so I'm sure you're doing something wrong. Just position yourself a hair to the right of directly behind an enemy, make sure you aren't pressing anything else (shield is down, not touching the left stick) and hit R1. Just practice on some non-threatening enemies—I taught myself my first playthrough by backstabbing those three hollow soldiers between the church and bonfire area in Undead Chapel every time I passed through.

Well, killed the headless demon by the blacksmith (Titanite Demon?) and then decided to make the return trip to the Undead Asylum. I've cleared the three black knights out, though it was only through judicious use of my Pyromancy Flame that I was able to kill them...

The Stray Demon is destroying me. I don't have enough time to recover from the fall before he one-hit kills me! I fall, lose half my health, then in the time it takes my guy to stand, dude's taking a swing and kills me. Sure, it's literally a one-room run back to him, but that doesn't stop it from being really frustrating bullshit. :mad:

Won't be able to use the Black Knight's sword for awhile. Need a few more points in Dexterity. But it's the first thing I've seen that's stronger than the Drake Sword. Gotta count for something, right?

E: Ooookaaaay, gently caress this fight in the rear end, too! I'm going back to the Undead Burg. I don't give two flying fucks what this thing drops, it isn't worth dealing with a slow, tedious fight in a too-small room against something that can literally hit you no matter where you're standing in it. I got him down to around 40% health after a long and ungodly tedious fight. I'm not doing that again. This isn't a case of it being like Havel, where I just need to learn the pattern - I know the god drat pattern here: Stand behind him, roll back when he fire-breaths, try and keep behind him as much as possible otherwise.

But there are two problems. 1) He has a billion loving hit points. Two-handing the Drake Sword and I was still doing pathetic damage. 2) One mistake and you're dead. Period. You cannot recover. He'll turn around and you'll die before you can get behind him again.

No thanks. I don't need that kind of stress.

E: Yeah, he just has too much HP and I can't do anywhere near enough damage. Doing 50-someodd damage a swing with the Drake Sword. The fight takes too long, I'll come back sometime later, when I can actually hurt the bastard and it won't take a 20 minute flawless battle to kill. Did make sure to trade with hawk girl before I left, though!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 8, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh jeez! So I keep trying to lure the Hellkite out, because apparently he has the flu because that rear end in a top hat just will not land anymore... and I got my Dex up to use the Black Knight's sword.

...I tried doing the R2 attack on one of those knights inside the church at the Parsh. He parry and riposted me! And when I got up he immediately got a backstab in on me! Well, that killed me! Wasn't aware they could get backstabs off.

The sword's nice for plowing through small fries but uh... yeah, gently caress that. That wouldn't have happened with the Drake Sword.

E: vvv I've gotten too used to quick attacks. The BK sword is just too slow. Same reason I can't use clubs and poo poo. The regular attacks are alright, and it seems like it can break guards, since I was staggering the spear guys, but I dunno if it's worth giving up the speed. It's only 20 attack stronger.

Ah, it wasn't too bad a session I guess. Unfortunately, with Havel dead, the golf swing knight dead, and everything but the Stray Demon back at the Asylum dead, I've... kinda got no choice but to head to Blighttown next time. :( At least I can take the shortcut. I've looked at what it's like to get down there manually and nuts to that, man. Anything to cut down on the time in there, the better, it looks like. Normally don't like looking ahead but with all the yang people talked about that place, my curiosity got the better of me.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 8, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
E: ^^^ Do you have the elevator to the Undead Parish's church unlocked? Start to take it up. There's a little ledge just above where you get in from the Firelink Shrine. Hop out onto that, go over onto the green, grassy ledge... then do a lined-up roll over a gap and onto a little building. There's some stairs that lead up to a nest there, but you'll need to grab a key that's also on a nearby rooftop. After you get the key, go back up, head to the nest. It'll ask you to hit a button to curl into a ball. Then you just hafta wait X seconds and the giant raven/crow thing will fly you back. There are vids on Youtube of returning there if you need help in picturing the area I'm talking about.

So... apropos to nothing, really, but I've been looking at Youtube to see how many different people are recording themselves playing. The game's difficulty seems to be pushing away the general rabble that do camcorder LPs and the like. And in general, it seems to be a pretty fair split between people who provide good information and know what they're doing... and complete idiots.

No, really. See how far into this dude's videos you can get before you want to punch him and tell him to stop using that stupid 'funny' voice of his. He's also one of these weirdos who refuse to cuss, making up stand-in not-swears. This guy's go-to seems to be 'freak of nature' for 'gently caress' or 'fucker.'

Then you've got everyone's favorite misogynistic twat DarkSydePhil who doesn't understand the concept of blocking and blames the game for his own stupidity. DSP, whose own viewerbase loving hate him for being so dumb. He apparently either never uses a shield the entire game or only rarely does, judging by comments spread through the first chunk of the game.

And then on the other end of the spectrum are folks like this guy, who I believe is a goon. Good stuff for the bosses from him. Actually helped me out with the Capra Demon quite a bit in regards to where the hell I should be at and what I should be doing. Breaks down bosses by attacks, gives hints as to what gear helps out in fights, etc.

The Wiki Game Guides guys I'll watch the videos to just because I like some of their other stuff, but they're in more the minmax category of playing the game. Get Drake Sword, go kill the hydra before the Capra Demon, that kinda poo poo. I haven't watched too much of his stuff, but a guy with the username MediaCows is doing a walkthrough of the game that seems competent enough. From what I have seen, I think he might stream his stuff, then encodes later or something.

Think I linked to Fuu's RTA of the game a few pages back, it's a good watch if you want to see someone basically make fun of the game, he's going through it so fast. Lots of good stuff to watch. Lots of bad stuff to watch, too, which is almost better than the good stuff, depending on the player. You could make a drinking game, DSP's so predictable in his failures and bitchery. His stuff's worth looking at purely to see how a typical Call of Duty/FPS Guy takes to a thinking man's game. :v: And the best part of DSP, he said in a video prior to starting that he was straight up going to play with a guide around so he wouldn't wind up with hundreds of videos. And he still can't grasp basic concepts, it's brilliant.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 8, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Soooo I decide to procrastinate further and make a journey to kill the Moonlight Butterfly or... whatever it is. gently caress those giant knights, first of all. One hit staggers me and pushes me back, and then they're free to kill me at their loving leisure. Now I get to run all the way back through this terrible zone, fight the first one again, then get back to the second near the rubble. Oh boy, what fun this is.

No seriously, can we stop it with this bullshit stunlock crap? I'm getting real sick of dying because I literally cannot move.

E: At least the boss was laughably easy. Think I'm gonna bumrush those items in the middle of a pile of those big knights, then Homeward Bone myself to safety.

E: Wow, didn't even need to. Ran in, grabbed Elite Knight armor, ran out!

The wolf ring, however, I did need to Bone back to a Bonfire with, because I had three knights and what appeared to be a living tree after my rear end.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 9, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I talked to Lautrec, since he's finally decided to appear at Firelink, as I was heading for the elevator. He's... a bad guy, right? I hope I don't lose out on anything too important. He started talking in a way that made it sound like he was gonna kill the Fire Keeper. gently caress that, I kicked him back and off the cliff. :byewhore:

E: Woooow, I don't have any idea how you're supposed to descend into Blighttown. Fuckin' not a clue. I'll never get that bloodstain back, that's for drat sure. I got to where a pair of... I dunno, skinless dogs breathed fire on me and something gave me Toxic status. So that was some wasted item use. Now I get to do it all over again. I think this might be where I give up because I already hate this poo poo. And I didn't even look like I was halfway down. There was no other place to fall, so I dunno where the game expects me to be able to safely land.

E: The game gave me a consolation prize. The loot from Lautrec's body finally spawned up where he was sitting.

E: loving horseshit! I jumped down from the area you get the Crimson armor, it was a really short drop onto some root thing and it instantly killed me. What?! There was even a little gangplank-lookin' thing, like the game wanted me to head that way.

E: Annnd then I get Toxic'd again while trying to fend off six mosquitos, get knocked off a ledge to my death. I quit.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 9, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

How the gently caress are you actually supposed to beat the Hellkite Dragon because all he does is fly down, get hit twice then jump straight up and breath on me repeatedly till I'm dead.

Lots of patience. And lightning weapons!

:sigh: So I'm apparently completely masochistic. Gave the game a rest for awhile. Came back to it and not only got down Blighttown, but finished Quelaag with relatively little trouble. Think it took three tries with Mildred helping out. It's like I hit some stupid trigger that suddenly made everything fall into place, because I've also killed the Ceaseless Discharge and got the Lightning Spear since. I uh... kinda kept following the boulders, though, and leapt blindly to my death at the end of the path. Oops. Went back and killed the Stray Demon, which is a lot easier with the Lightning Spear.

I tried going back for the Chaos Ember, but I think I'll hold off awhile. I beat the Capra Demon that was down there for some reason, as well as one of the buffed up Taurus Demons, but the second knocked me into lava. I am not good at minding my surroundings! Oh well, been reinvigorated by the chain of successes. The Gold-Hemmed armor is pretty much better across the board, which is nice because it's pretty much the first upgrade I've found to my starter gear all game, boar helmet aside. Tried killin' ol' Hellkite, but he hopped up and fire-breath killed me in one hit. One day, dragon, one day!

The Quelaag goes: "Blaeeurrrgh!"

E: Sen's was so much fun. Needed help figuring out where the bonfire was, but I was golden after that. Cheesed the rock-throwing giant by standing inside the spiral staircase, waiting for him to rampage, then running out and 2-handing my spear to kill him. Before I fought the Iron Golem, I went to inspect a side building just to see what was there. What was there was Iron Tarkus, my new best friend. Golem never hit me once. The merchant and cage key were the last things I found. I have Siegmeyer Armor! :neckbeard: ...Come to think of it, though, I never saw him while I was in the fort. He didn't die somewhere, did he?

Also? Holy poo poo, Anor Londo. The view is incredible.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 10, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blank Construct posted:

Is there any way to beat Ceaseless discharge without it turning into a slugging match? I've beaten him three times and I still don't understand how he works.

There's this gap in the wall a ways up. Just past the stairs off in the distance when you first 'zone in' to his area. You'll probably take one hit before you reach it, but if you can survive that, you shouldn't get hit again. The gap in the mountain is sort of L-shaped, and you'll want to stand just at the back, near the bend. You'll be able to see him out where he is, and when he rears back to attack, run down the other part of the passage. His...tentacle-arm will slam down and will be sorta inside the mountain. You'll be able to get about four or five hits before he pulls his arm back.

Repeat until dead. He's dirt easy if you get the timing down. He telegraphs his arm-slam considerably, so you have plenty of time to run out of hitting range.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been looking around for HQ art from the game lately, mostly so I can try to sprite more bosses like I did with Quelaag. It's pretty hard finding good, clean pictures of some of these characters/bosses! I know it's a dark game and that's to be expected, but it's still odd. Kinda weird that the cleanest, clearest shot I have is of Nito. And he's doing his "Who wants a hug?" pose. The best would just be to get like a model viewer or something and get shots from a bunch of angles. That'd be especially useful for the Gaping Dragon. All the art I've found on that thing typically doesn't have the wings connected to the body, so I'm not entirely sure where the hell they go!

Also went looking at boss intro cutscenes. Are Ornstein and Smough women? Never really seen clear video of them up 'til I searched for their intro. Smough almost has to be with that armor, right? And if Orn isn't, then he's the slimmest dude in the entire game.

Getting started on Anor Londo tonight. Pretty excited to finally be here. After the claustrophobic areas I've just been in, it's nice to be somewhere so huge and open. There a good place to farm up whichever titanite piece I need to boost my Lightning Spear? It's +2 at the moment. I've already done a bit of trading with Snuggly, but I can't remember what I've traded so far. And it's tedious, so I doubt I'll go back to her just for this.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are there ANY loving bonfires in this giant shithole other than the one near the girl at the start?

Because I went through some rafters, lowered a spinning bridge, fought two knights and a shitload of rear end in a top hat mini-gargoyles (and a pair of Bells) that somehow hurt me through my shield, and then I get knocked off a tiny ledge to my death by archers that I cannot block, else it knocks me back about 10 feet. Which is great because there are two of them, one from the front and one behind, so it's literally impossible to block. So I have to just take the hit head on? That's bullshit.

How the gently caress do I get past that? Because I'm done playing until I see someone else get through this part. Won't be getting that loving bloodstain back, I know that much.

Also, either my 360 is dying... for the third time in the past year... or the lighting in Anor Londo is just really ghetto on this console. I can turn and I literally see the line of shadow turn with me.

E: Well, videos don't loving help. Great. Got my bloodstain back just in time to be stunlocked and killed again. This is some fantastic game design.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 11, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, lads, I'll keep at it if the bonfire is just past them. The one on the left can, in fact hit me if I'm going for the one on the right. He's keeping me pinned down so I can't do anything. Can't heal, can't roll under one arrow because the other will hit, can't do poo poo.

I can't recall if there's a railing to the ramp you run up, but if there isn't, I'm gonna try using Soul Arrow or my Pyromancy flame to either kill the right one, knock him off, or get him to run at me. The bat demons I figured out how to deal with - never let up your attack. My spear's stunning them, so I can just hit, run up, hit, run up.

Archers! :argh: The ones in Sen's didn't ever bother me, so this must be retribution for my easy time there.

E: Yeah, the cocksucker on the left is the troublemaker here. I got the one to fall off, only to be shot in the loving back. One more try tonight. This is sucking all the desire to play out of me.

E: Wahay, got it. And Solaire is there!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 11, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, barring those archers, Anor Londo's been pretty fun so far. Got to the Giant Blacksmith, opened another shortcut, forged Quelaag's Furysword and beefed it to +3. It's pretty fun, but I've gotten too used to the Lightning Spear and being able to block while attacking. I saved Siegmeyer from knights! Why he didn't just go to the roof is beyond me. Talked to him back at Firelink, because I wanted to get the hell out of the city for awhile.

Realized I'd never opened the door by where Havel was. So now I've killed the hydra and ran around the Basin awhile. Tried taking on some blue dragons in the Valley of Drakes. Killed two, but it was a pain in the rear end. That fat miracle-selling dude is back. Apparently he got separated from his buddies? Guess I'll be heading back to Anor Londo next time. I wanna beat Orn and Smough so I can get whatever it is that lets me warp between bonfires. That'll make the jolly adventuring go a lot smoother!

I do have a really stupid question, though. What the hell's going on with Seath's body? The upper part, sure, that's a dragon. The lower part is horrifying. He looked that way even in the intro cutscene, though. And in the cutscene that plays before you fight him, he comes barreling into the room. He... kinda looked immobile to me! I wouldn't have thought something that looked like that could move that fast. So is he just a weird-rear end dragon, or did something happen to him? And does he just not have any eyes, or are they just not easy to see?

The Seath goes: "I've made mistakes..."

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Probably woulda been cool if someone had mentioned to loving kill Ornstein first, otherwise he becomes pretty much invincible and impossible to kill!

Gonna be stuck here for weeks. Taking out Smough is loving easy. The Lightning Spear actually hurts him. Ornstein? Ornstein does the lightning thing too, it does loving dick to him. And with the lovely lock-on system unable to move between targets unless they're both on-screen (and they won't be!) it makes it impossible to quickly switch between the two if you suspect Orn's getting ready to do a charge.

Once Ornstein entered phase 2, I got precisely one hit in on him in the 5+ minutes I managed to merely survive. I burned through seven of my ten flasks just on that.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cuchulain posted:

Funny thing is: I find Overlord Ornstein to be a lot easier then Super Smoug, and my friend says the opposite. Ornstein, however, is extremely resistant to lightning. Smoug is weak to it. These traits remain the same when they power up. If you're still using the Lightning Spear, I suggest killing Ornstein first. Other things you could do: Go clear The Catacomb dungeon to get up to 15 Estus, or summon helpers for the fight.

However, given you're going through the usual list of "New Player Rage" complaints, I'm guessing this is your first character. If that is the case, my advice is very simple:Start a new guy. You will be amazed at the difference. I got stuck on O&S 20 hours into my first playthrough, and I killed them 3 hours into my second.

Yeaaah, I ain't starting over at this point. :v: My level is pretty low for this point in the game, I'd imagine. I'm just at 40. Maybe 41, I can't recall if I leveled at any point. I could go off and grind for awhile but pff. I'd rather beat my head against the wall than grind in this game. I want to nix Ornstein last now, because I know it'll only get worse if I wait until NG+.

I'm already thinking up what I need to do. I do have Quelaag's Furysword at +3. I'll just need to try and separate Jay and Silent Bob before I kill Bob. That way I have enough time to swap weapons. I need some better lightning resist gear, I think. Here's what I went into the fight with:

Lightning Spear+2, Tower Kite Shield+9, Havel's Armor + Leggings, Gold-Hemmed Gloves, Gargoyle Helm, Havel's Ring, Lautrec's Ring. Whatever the hell it's called. My Flasks are +2 but I only have 10. The Catacombs the easiest place to get whatever I need to kindle up to +15? Having more health items wouldn't hurt. In a pinch, though, I can always just swap in my Humanity. A heal's a heal in dire times, and more can always be farmed. Gonna need to do that anyway if I want to save Solaire later on, it sounds like.

Reading the wikis (both of them are loving terrible. There's like zero quality control at either. The pages are all embarrassing reads and disjointed as gently caress) and checking some videos, it seems like the best thing to do is just hug Orn's ankles and light his golden rear end up with any fire you have. My Pyromancy flame is +10 at the moment, I've got the Furysword at +3 like I mentioned, I picked up... some other Pyromancy spell recently. The one that hits directly in front of you. But it's still default level, so I doubt it's worth using.

Also? The music made everything worse. I was so tense! I'm muting the hell out of the TV next time! My hands were shaking by the time I got impaled to death. Not able to summon in real folks since my Gold sub slipped off a cliff a few months back. And I dunno if Solaire is worth the trouble, because I don't kill the poo poo in the rooms before the boss fight. Those knights would chew half my flasks all on their own if I stopped to fight them. Entered the fight the first time with less than 100% health and minus one flask because one of the bastards got me square in the back as I tried running past...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fyuz posted:

I guess by freeze I mean I wander around with my shield permanently up.

Unfortunately I have relied on blocking all the way through rather than dodging so don't feel comfortable doing it. I shall take your advice on board though.

When I did get a hit on Ormstein, I did 32 damage with a Drake Sword+2 lol. Oh thats another thing, because I have used the Drake Sword throughout I think I have cocked up because I have not bothered upgrading any kind of weapons, yay!

Best I've seen? Smough's weak to lightning, Orn's weak to fire. You should be using something with a little more oomph than that sword by now. The lightning spear in Sen's is good for Smough. If you can get a Scimitar or the like up to +10 you can turn it into Quelaag's Furysword at the Giant Blacksmith.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fast couple of weeks. Smough and Ornstein are dead! With Ornstein being killed last. Decided to go kill Sif for some souls to level with. Was enough to reach L45. Deposited all extra weapons in the bottomless box so it was just the Lightning Spear and Quelaag's Furysword. Put my five Humanity and lone 2x Humanity on my quick-select, got past the knights without damage, and went in for round two.

Getting rid of Smough actually took longer than killing Ornstein! Orn was on my rear end the entire first half of the fight. But I ignored him and got Smough down. The second half was pretty brutal. I was down into using Humanity to heal with as a last resort. I got impaled once, butt-slammed twice, and generally thrown around like a ragdoll.

Knowing that the safest place to be is between his legs was the best bit of advice I got. I realized when he did his lightning impale that if I rolled forward, I wouldn't get hit. He does a hop backwards before the impaling motion, so it only took once to realize what I needed to do. The switch from spear to sword went smoothly, and somehow I pulled a win out. My hands were shaking like leaves by the end, though. That fight's mean with Ornstein last!

Got the Lordvessel from Queen Boobs, got eaten by a penis monster with teeth - twice - and went and bought Ornstein's Armor from the guy under the bridge. This poo poo's pretty bangin'. And it's light! If I was going to upgrade armor, would this be a good set to do that with?

Man, it feels like I still have over half a game to go. The four 'main' bosses of the second half plus all the optional stuff. I haven't hit the Painted World yet. When's a good time to go there? Haven't visited the Great Hollow or Ash Lake, either. The guy I bought Orn's armor from said that if I was gonna hit the Catacombs, I should bring a Divine weapon to stop skeletons from fixing themselves. What kind of weapon would serve me best in that regard? Seems like it'd be easier than having to fend off multiple skeletons while trying to find the necromancer that's rezzing them.

So much to do! I'm working on two weapons. Getting a Caestus up to +10 to use the Iron Golem's Soul on for shits and giggles, and getting a spear up to +10 to make Orn's weapon from it. Completionism and whatnot. It's kinda nice, too. After being railroaded down one path for two zones now, the world opens back up and I get to choose where to go. I've stuck my head in the Catacombs. I really don't wanna go back without something to keep the skeletons down for good, so that isn't top priority. How's New Londo gonna treat me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rollersnake posted:

You want a blunt weapon for the Catacombs. There's apparently an Occult Club in Anor Londo (in the hidden basement with the mimics, I think) which you can downgrade to a Divine Club +5.

Yeah, that became pretty clear. And it's stupid, I remember from the Demon's Souls LP that blunt weapons were the go-to thing for skeletons, but I've been using spears for so long now, making a Divine Spear seemed natural. Got one at +3 and man, it doesn't do much damage! I'm gonna need something proper to use. Chipping away at 40 or so damage a pop isn't gonna cut it. Still, it's nice not having to deal with respawns.

I made it to the first bonfire, so I can pop out. I did have a question, though - what determines which bonfires I can warp to? Because the one near Andre isn't on the list despite me visiting it quite often, but the Sunlight Altar was added after I made another failed attempt to kill the Hellkite. Son of a bitch just either spams the fire charge or hops up and breathes down on me constantly. He won't do anything else no matter what I try. I think I'll end up giving up in the end and arrowing him to death.

• Locked thread