Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

charismaslover posted:

Anyone know any good soul farming spots so I can buy the Crest of Artorias from the blacksmith? I need 15,000 more souls.

Was about to suggest you the area after the sealed gate, whoops. :v:

Try Gaping demon if you haven't beaten him yet. He gave me 25000 souls which I used for that specific purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Man, finding the shortcut to Firelink in Blighttown was more satisfying than any boss battle before it. gently caress that place and everyone who lives there. :argh:

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

He drops pretty easily to magic or fire.

You can also cheese him with arrows. His ranged attack is ridiculously easy to avoid.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

If you've ever wondered what an ear infection sounds like, go down to Blighttown and get yourself poisoned. The meter ticking down sounds a lot like how I remember it.

Bringing up painful childhood memories is just one in the long list of reasons why I hate those goddamn mosquitos.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Just got done ringing the second bell, after which I ventured deeper and killed another boss. The enemies they throw at you after that... hilarious. :allears:

That boss that gave you a hard time earlier? Here, take a dozen of them! At least I found out that I can kick their rear end in 5 seconds now.

I love my tank build.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Okay, so I've rang the two bells and the fact that the firekeeper's dead's bumming me out. Would it be a good idea to head down to New Londo now to get her back, or is that something out of my league for now?

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

McTimmy posted:

New Londo is not where you go to revive her, what you want is Anor Londo which is after Sen's Fortress which opened up after you rang both bells. It's where you're directed, but try out the first enemies and see if it's for you before doing anything serious.

Well, dang. Those lizards didn't like me one bit. :(

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Man, getting the Eastern Armor back to the blacksmith was by far the most disappointing moment I've had with the game. I thought I'd finally found a set to replace my starting knight one, but then I find out the loving thing needs Twinkling Titanite for upgrades. :smith:

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

The hilarious part is that there's another set of armor that's better than your starting Knight's Armor.

Elite Knight's Armor. :hurr: Only cosmetic difference I've seen is that the helm covers your ugly mug.

But the Eastern Armor looks so cool! :( It also sounds different (big deal, I know).

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Elysiume posted:

What, you don't like clink clunk clank click clink clunk?

It made a bigger impact on my decision to roll a Knight than I care to admit. After about 30 hours, I'm just looking for something different.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Noxville posted:

I'm impressed at how much innuendo can be wrung out of such a simple messaging system. The undead corpse that's rear end-up over the well in Firelink has messages of 'Thrust' and 'Try rear'. The Quelaag fight has 'Imminent amazing chest'. There's others I've already forgotten.

And then there's "Need head" near the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Someone put down a message saying "amazing ring ahead" next to the well in firelink shrine. It's rated +21 :stare:

It's telling that the only messages I see rated AT ALL are all trolls like that.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Lautrec, you conniving son of a bitch. Poison arrow's the best you'll get from me.

The guilty pay the price! :argh:

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

GaistHeidegger posted:

Eagle Shield +15 and high endurance is basically 'sup every enemy in the game, yeah sure go ahead and hit my block for a while it's cool'. Even wheel skeletons barely budge you behind a souped up Eagle shield. As for Sen's Fortress, I was goddamn terrified of the place because of it triggering my acrophobia something fierce (gently caress you Cathedral in Anor Londo, too).

So how do you get shields to +15? I've been rocking +10 Eagle Shield for a while now.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I've played this game for about 60 hours now, and I don't think anything's terrified me as much as these invisible bridges in the Crystal Cave.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Just remember that with the exception of the bridge that leads to the Slab, they are all straight and generally a three to four paces wide.

Oh that's good to hear, because I fell down like five times from that one. Then I fell down from where you fight the second blue golem another couple of times, and was unable to retrieve my poo poo for the first time in like 30 hours.

I decided to come back later.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

SixtySix posted:

summon a helper! People with their signs at the bonfire generally know which way to go

It's not so much about knowing which way to go, there's just not much room to maneuver on those crystal ledges.

That said, I haven't seen an awful lot of summon signs while running around in human form. Is SL 80 high for having just recently gotten the Lordvessel, I keep thinking I've overlevelled.

Been having fun assisting others after joining the Sunlight dudes. Couple of them helped me with O&S, decided I'd join in on the cause.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Break Fast posted:

Have you played the first game? (Demons' Souls)
If not I think you should give it a go. Area called Tower of Latria has monsterslol which give a gooooood run for the money to anything creepy in any video game I have ever played.

No, but I did watch a goon's excellent Let's play of it last summer (can't remember his name). It made me excited about this one, and showed me how to play so I wasn't awful when I started playing. :v:

But yeah, I don't mind missing those guys. Might also be just my perception, but Dark Souls on the whole isn't as "scary" as the first one, which I also don't mind.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Man, the fight with the titanite demon in Lost Izalith is why I love this game. Slowly trading blows for like 5-10 minutes, so tense. Wasn't even mad when he managed to trap and kill me with just a sliver of health left.

Thinking about it, the fact that there's always multiple places to make progress in eliminates most of the frustration that I'd have with this game.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Sorry about Lost Izalith, Solaire. I really didn't want it to end like this. :smith:

(Actually kinda bummed about this.)

I wish the Eastern set was better, it's the best-looking armor in the game. The Paladin set just makes me look like I'm wearing a dress.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Oh my, Ash Lake, you sure are breathtaking.

People on your first playthrough, don't spoil the later areas for yourself.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, when you make a weapon into a Fire or Lightning weapon, it will stop scaling with any stat at all, and deal a combination of physical and fire/lightning damage. If you make a weapon into a Magic weapon, it'll start to scale off Intelligence, too. For Divine Weapons I believe you get Faith scaling. If you want to just scale your weapons with Dex or Str stats, pursue the normal upgrade line to +15 (You'll have to eventually find the Large Ember [In the Depths] and the Very Large Ember [In the Demon Ruins, I believe]).

New Londo Ruins actually. You're thinking of the Large Flame Ember.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

The rest of the place may have not lived up to the potential, but the moment when I first set foot in Lost Izalith was one of the biggest "what the gently caress :stare:" moments I've had in gaming.

Definitely douple-dipping on the PC edition, regardless if the new content is exclusive or not.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I'll believe 60fps Blighttown when I see it. :colbert:

(Please be a good port.)

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

The room in ToG with the ember and the six giant skeletons is the worst room in the entire game. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I've never actually done that room legit, I just stand on the ledges above, target lock, and shoot them with a bow until they're all dead. If you have a Sunlight Maggot you can kind of exploit it to find them and pull them in the first place - if you look directly through the light that the maggot is emitting you can see infinitely in to the darkness.

Yeah, I guess that room has that advantage over the Capra Demon. Can't really cheese him and the dogs with your bow.

• Locked thread