Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Hahaha, I love this game. I've only been playing 10 minutes and a morbidly obese guy with what appeared to be a giant chefs hat invaded my game and hosed me up.

I could only do like 10 damage to him with the big melee attack so I tried running away but fell off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

I'm seeing people mention upgrading their weapons to an Elemental weapon or something. Is this something that's explained in the game, or if not, is there a post that explains it?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What level are you? As long as he gave you the flask and the key, it doesn't matter if he dies he kills himself anyway.

I think you're sequence breaking here. Did you beat the gargoyles?

I'm not sure you can sequence break in this game. You just try out different areas and if you get your poo poo pushed in then, welp, better go somewhere else!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

The.GreyWolf posted:

I'd recommend the Futurepress guide. It's like 400 pages and would literally answer every question in this thread. It's got a badass cover and it's hard bound too!

This will be the first game I've ever bought a guide for.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

The guys who chuck fire bombs at you in Undead Burg are so god drat annoying.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

gibbed posted:

There's a reason you can purchase a bow just moments before that spot.

Well poo poo, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that!

This should make things a bit easier. :)

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

I wish they'd have released the Future Press guide the same day as the game was released here in the UK.

Apparently it's not being released until the 14th! :(

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

I just did my first ever Invasion. I slaughtered a poor guy paying a visit to the merchant in Undead Burg.

I need to find some more cracked red eye orbs because that was hilarious.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

So have any of you PS3 players figured out how to do gestures without going into the menu? I see that there are graphics that imply motion controls, but I haven't been able to get them to work.

What's the trick?

Hold X while doing the motions.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Ughhh the Capra Demon is loving awful. If I actually manage to get past him and up the stairs (this happens maybe 1 every 5 attempts, the rest of the time I'll get stuck between him and the dogs) then he manages to chase me up there, smash me with his two handed attack which removes all of my stamina and half my health and then the dogs eat me. :(

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Put on heavy armor.
Enter room.
Put shield up. Roll/Run to the stairs.
As you run up the stairs, look at the archway to the right. You will see that there is a small ledge on top of this archway. Step out onto this ledge and near the corner of the room. Now the Capra Demon can't easily get you. He can still hit you with his big swoop attack but this will buy you a lot of breathing room.
Kill the dogs when they come out onto the archway.
Pick demon to pieces. Without his dogs, he's a bitch and he'll die like a bitch.

If you're getting smashed at the beginning, pump your endurance. It should be at least 15. I did it in 4 tries with my endurance at 20 wearing Elite Knight Armor.

Good luck.

All I have at the moment is some crappy leather armour and the stuff you start with as a Wanderer. Whereabouts do you get that Elite Knight Armor?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Which stat is it that decreases the amount of stamina I lose when I block a hit? I'm trying to make a tank character.

Also I just killed the Taurus Demon and he dropped some ridiculously massive axe, is that a random drop or something? Didn't get that last time! I also got that massive hammer for killing the Asylum Demon. :)

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Stability. It's a stat on shields which generally increases as you upgrade them.

Ah ok, so it's not something I can spend souls on levelling up? Time to find an awesome shield I guess!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, most shields just take normal titanite shards so you can go to Andre with nothing but souls and get it to level 5 for 7200 souls worth of titanite shards + however many it costs to level it up 5 times (which is probably pretty cheap).

Oh wow, I never knew you could just buy those. I really should start checking the vendors more often.

Thanks!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Helping people kill the two gargoyles on the roof of the church, then hearing the bell ring a few minutes later is awesome. :3:

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

What key do I need to open the door that leads to Havel if I didn't take the master key at the start?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Palleon posted:

Ahh, that must be it. Also, I experimented with white phantoming last night, helping out with the Bell Gargoyles a few times, and I was able to be healed a few times while as a phantom, and I'm not sure how. I know that as a phantom, you can't use heal spells or your flask, so how was I able to be healed. I then became human, and summoned some phantoms of my own, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to heal them like they did for me.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, everyone online seems to use soul arrow to great effect. What's the quickest way to find a trainer for it, all I've found is a miracle trainer so far who is there at the start (I just beat the Capra demon and went down into the Depths and found a bonfire behind a master key door).

Edit: On a side note, the master key almost seems like cheating, I almost regret grabbing it, but then I remember this game is trying to gently caress me over so I don't feel quite as bad.

If you use your Estus flask while you have people summoned, it heals them as well.

A Total Melvin posted:

If I recall correctly, you have to kill the Moonlight Butterfly. It's somewhere in the Darkroot Garden.

Thanks!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

I just rested at the bonfire in Undead Burg, then when I got up to leave, I noticed I had an extra 10k souls. :confused:

I wasn't anywhere near the dragon that can be one shot from the tower so I have no idea what just happened!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Where should I be at SL20? The last real boss I fought was the initial Taurus Demon - since then, I've cheesed the dude in the tower below him (yay encumberance ring!), cheesed the titanite demon, and taken down the big knight dude guarding the first Fire Keeper's Soul with the drake sword. I'm rocking a +5 spear, and enough titanite to make my hollow warrior shield into something pretty neat.

Please don't say I have to go upstairs above where the knight was. That loving minion summoning mage dude murdered me last time. Too many people hitting my shield, it drops, then BLAAAAAT dead :(

Should I be heading down the stairs in the Firelink Shrine, to that generally scary / creepy area? Did a quick wander around, found Valley Of The Drakes, got smushed by a big fat dude that poisoned me (but drake sword would have totally taken him, if he hadn't gotten a lucky poisoned hit in).

You gotta go up there to ring the bell. :)

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Ankle-biter posted:

Can someone explain how this cat ring works exactly? I've been wearing it for half an hour and standing in the woods and haven't gotten summoned once. Do I need to be alive? Do I need to be in some specific area? I'm sl 50..is this a good level to be doing this at? Any info would be appreciated.

You don't have to be alive and you don't even have to wait in the woods for it to work. I think 50 might be a little high, I was doing it today at level 30 and I was invading people once every 5 minutes or so.

What level are people usually taking on Gaping Dragon? I just killed him at level 34 (I hadn't stepped foot in the depths before this), and I'm wondering if I'm overlevelling.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

UnderDealer posted:

I've noticed that a few of the weapons -- for sure the battle axe and gargoyle axe, and maybe the halberd -- don't have combos, at least for me. Instead, at the end of a swing, my dude will lose his balance like he's struggling under the weight of the weapon. After a split-second or so of struggling he picks the weapon back up and I'm free to do that same one-hit combo again. I meet the strength requirements for all of these. Am I doing something wrong, or are these just terrible weapons?

I think this happens when you don't have high enough stats to wield the weapon properly.

e: wow I should totally have read the rest of your post. In that case I'm not sure, maybe that's just what happens with big axes. I've never actually used one.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

Where's the bonfire in the depths? I saw an orange message saying one was near, just before the huge rat, but I didn't find it before I got killed.

It's behind a locked door at the end of the longish room with a bunch of slug things on the ceiling.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

defult posted:

Amazon UK disspatched mine this afternoon. Cant wait to get it, loved the art and maps in the limited editon mini-guide. Plus the wiki's are a bit patchy on late game stuff atm. Missing a pyro spell, but no idea what or where.

How long have you had it on pre-order? Mine hasn't been dispatched yet and I pre-ordered a week ago. :ohdear:

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

defult posted:

The guide has finaly arrived in the UK and its worth every penny!

Did you get your guide from Amazon? All Amazon sent me today was an email telling me they didn't have enough stock. :negative:

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Attention Deficit posted:

Play.com finally shipped mine today, though the product page hasn't updated from 'Usually dispatched within 3-5 days.'. Maybe worth trying there?

Just placed an order. They're also out of stock, but I'm gonna keep the order and see who gets restocked first.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

This upgrading thing is confusing the poo poo out of me. I want to upgrade this Winged Spear to +10, so am I right in thinking that I just need a bunch of Large Titanite Shards?

I actually managed to get it to +6, but now the blacksmith won't upgrade it any further. I've got the large shards in my inventory so I'm not sure what's up.

e: also he asked me for some embers or something. I just said yes but I honestly have no idea what they even do.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Look at reinforce weapon, not modify. You need modify to ascend it from +5 to +6, and reinforce from +6 to +10.

And the embers allow blacksmiths to ascend the weapon with 'modify weapon'. +5 to +6, or +10 to +11, or +5 to divine, and so on.

Thanks, finally got my lightning spear!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

I was just playing as a white phantom in Sen's Fortress, trying to help a guy out and learn the place for myself since I've not done it yet. We go into the first main room, the narrow walkway with all the swinging axes... And I walk straight off the edge.

He'd summoned another guy, so there were two people probably laughing their asses off at me, waiting to see the 'Stiggs phantom was banished' or whatever. The message never came.

I managed to take out both Titanite Demons while on half health from the fall, climb back up and catch up to them. I greeted them with the 'Well, what is it?' gesture. :smug:

Then the host died. Did I just screw that guy out of some Demon Titanite?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

With the witch's +5 flame, not only is it not hard, it is pretty easy.

But yeah, I've been keeping my level low so I can clean up as a white phantom. It takes about half a million souls dumped into pyromancy to max it, but once that is done you can pump out damage, character level be damned.

Really, CL is a pretty poor measure of character power. I mean, a level 1 guy probably won't be able to dent a level 700, mostly because of the way that stats add to defenses, but the +-10% thing is really entirely too narrow. A maxed out level 1 pyromancer will probably be outdamaging most any level 80 weapon user.

This was a while back, but could you post what stats you're using for this build? I think I wanna try out something similar for my next character.

Also I assume you took the Master Key gift for early access to Queelag?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nah, I didn't take the master key, I took the pendant. Early access to Queelag wouldn't have helped me much. The biggest hurdle is just getting through the capra demon to open the pyro trainer, and all that really takes is an upgraded hollow soldier shield. poo poo, you could kill it with nothing but firebombs if you want (like the Taurus demon).

I've leveled up a little more, to 21 (wanted some endurance), while farming titanite chunks from the skeletor dudes. I did most of the game so far at 15 though, all the way through Anor Lando and Sif. Current stats are 14 vit, 16 att, 16 end, 16 str, 12 dex, 12 res, 10 int, 8 fai. The 16 str was mainly for the drake sword, which certainly makes Queelag easier, though if you are really hellbent on keeping your level as low as possible you could go without raising strength at all. I am still waffling on which way I want to take this character. I could still make him into pretty much anything with his current stats.

Currently wearing Smeogh's armor, a lightning claymore +4, and havel's ring. Swiching out serpent ring and bellowing dragoncast rings depending on whether I need to farm or put on a good pyromancy show. The claymore was mostly because some things are irritating to hit with a spear. You seem to whiff on the ghosts in new lando ruins a lot, and you ever try to cut off gaping dragon's tail with a spear? The 2h R1 from the claymore makes it a lot easier.

Next major goal is probably taking out pinwheel, to see where the carry weight mask lands me while wearing the rest of fatty's set.

Thanks! Gonna go start on this character right now.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

O+S are kicking my rear end at SL16. If I get hit once I'm pretty much hosed. The run to get there is really annoying too.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Vatek posted:

Level up more unless you're trying to do some gimmick low-level run. You should be SL 40-55 or so by the time you get there.

Trying to stay lowish level so I can go and help people out with Capra. :shobon:

Just gotta keep trying! I can get O down pretty easily (Great Combustion three shots him!), I'm just having trouble not getting hit a single time while whittling away at S.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Where's the best place to farm Titanite Chunks? I need to upgrade some weapons to lightning.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Do I need the lordvessel in my inventory when I talk to this NPC in New Londo to get the key? Because I've already placed it.

vvv Thanks!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Kill Your Friends posted:

Cool, but don't I myself have to be in human form to be summoned? The humanity system is pissing me off a bit, it seems like dying prevents me from summoning the help that would prevent me from dying again, if you see what I mean.

You can be summoned while hollow. :)

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

adj posted:

Yeah so it turns out, like in Demon's Souls, massively overleveling your first playthrough makes the game incredibly boring.

I don't know if you're being serious, but... What exactly were you expecting? :psyduck:

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Akuma posted:

My guide from Amazon.co.uk has been dispatched! Thank god. Was beginning to think it had been shelved completely.

I've still heard nothing from amazon regarding my copy.

I just walked into Game today though and manage to get the last one!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

The Four Kings fight is really loving creepy to me. The way they float about in the vast empty nothingness :gonk:

Spoilered just in case.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Blank Construct posted:

How do you get out of Anor Londo, and where's the strange doll hidden? I'm sitting at the bonfire just before O&S for reference.

You have to kill O&S to leave. The strange doll is in the cell where you start the game, you get it when you go back to the Asylum.

Stiggs fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Donald Duck posted:

You don't. Just go back to where you came in.

Oh! I never actually though to try.

• Locked thread