Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about to buy this game, but I was told that there are whips in the game? How common are they? Are they a complete weapon type like swords and spears? I want to pretend I'm playing Castlevania but I'm not sure how feasable that is. Leather skirts and sandals are optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Am I ever given any ingame indication what particular covenants do or do I just work it out and hope I don't gently caress myself over permanently?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm both looking forward to and living in dread of my first black phantom, though watching other players die in the dumbest ways takes the edge off. My favorite was a guy who carefully edged along a cliff's edge, got an item, then sprinted off. :downs:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really lovely how the camera and controls are leading to my death more than any enemy. Why on earth do they "queue" up attacks when stunned? Why does dodging sometimes actually mean "three hit combo"?

Also I was reading on covenants and I think I want to join the Gravelords. How does their invading system work?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Basically, you put a mark on the ground that appears in three other people's games. While this mark is active, black phantom enemies will attack that player. However, should the invaded player find the mark, they can invade your world.

Do the phantoms wander randomly, or is it around the mark?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got the Drake Sword but I'm one strength to low to wield it properly, so I go back to a bonfire to level up, but now it won't let me put souls into anything to do so. I have 1000 souls and the last level up was about 800. What's up with that?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meliv posted:

More souls! You can use the sword without the reqs. Dual wield it for a while

That was it. It jumps from 800 to 1200. That's kind of annoying, but now I have a sweet dragon shield and an awesome dragon sword!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After helping out some guy I decide to go fight a boar. The big pig gores through my shield and impales me. That could be a problem. Too bad I can't summon any phantoms because I've seen two humanity the entire game so far and used it kindling a bonfire.

e: Oh good you can't dodge the pig if you're encumbered at all either. That's great.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 9, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Znorps! posted:

When you first go into the room with the boar.the stairs to your right. Boar can't charge through stone.

I didn't realize that, but I manage to dodge enough to get a few heavy hits in and kill it. Didn't get a neat hat, but I did get some Balder armor off those rapier guys. One of the jerks snuck up on me while I killed another and backstabbed me!

quote:

In the OP, it is said that the only difference between the game on either console is the type of controller.

The controls have killed me more than anything so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of lovely how failing to invade means you lose your red orb.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many people are you guys seeing online? I've been summoned once, seen zero summoning posts, and was never able to invade. Lots of messages and bloodstains though.

quote:

I just can't handle bullshit merchant setups. Why the gently caress does one vendor sell basic arrows?

You're making GBS threads me. I used all mine on the lightning demon guy leaving undead burg. Who sells red orbs then?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh god there are camoflauged giant armors in the forest. And they summon mantas!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well today went a lot smoother than yesterday! I fought my way to the basin, then backed off because of the fuckoff water dragon, but that's alright because I backtracked (there's an elevator back to start!) to get reinforced estus flasks. Now I just need to rescue the prisoner, finish up the rest of that area, and move on.

When is it recommended to go through the cemetery? How far down the basin route shout I go? Right now I'm playing it by ear with "how quickly did I get hosed" as a rule of thumb but really I'm just stumbling around blindly.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 9, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My red orbs have a 100% failure rate. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just lost to the bell gargoyles (I'm sure glad this fire resistant shield did nothing at all) and now the knight guarding it clipped through the stairs and my shield to four hit kill me. :allears:

Still no help from phantoms either, so thanks a lot for putting me on my own special server I guess Dark Souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vargs posted:

Are you in human form? You can only summon people when you are. Assuming you talked to the knight of Gywn before the dragon on the bridge, his summon sign should always be just outside the boss door, and there will likely be a player sign you can summon as well.

Yes, I am. They simply aren't there. I got the NPC Knight to help me on my second try though.

What do I use the sunlight medals for? Also, when should I expect to see better armor than what I have (hard leather, started with it)? I'm moving down to the basin again if I ever find where that entrance is a second time.

e: And where do I sell my useless items at?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I just finished the undead church's belltower, how much longer until I can join the gravelord covenant? Is it in the catacombs under the cemetery? If so that'll be a while yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeathSandwich posted:

You could go get it right now, realistically though, you're a ways out because the catacombs is going to savage you pretty hard.

That's about what I figured. Still, it's nice to know that if I were skilled enough I could.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, this game is brutal sometimes. Anybody have any tips for the Two Gargoyle bosses on the church roof? It's really obnoxious that the Maneater 2: The Gargoylening fight doesn't have a big pilar in the middle of the arena to hide behind this time.

If you get to the boss door as a human, you can summon an NPC to aid you and it trivializes the fight.

quote:

Also try to cut off the first one's tail if you can. You'll get a special weapon.

gently caress I knew I forgot to do something up there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As a warrior, am I ever going to use magic/miracles? I've never even seen a trainer for one, but I am curious how they'd work out. My faith and intelligence are both under 11 at the moment though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You meet a trainer for miracles pretty early on, he's just hanging out in the Firelink shrine. For sorcery/pyromancy, you have to rescue the trainers first.

Your starting class really only determines your beginning stats and equipment; you aren't tied to that role at all if you want to branch out. I'd recommend at least picking up some pyromancy, since lots of them have no intelligence requirement to use (though int does affect their damage). Grab enough attunement for 2 slots (which is like, 12 or something), and that gives you a nice fallback for enemies that are really resistant to your weapons. It's really easy to just put a casting item as a secondary in one of your hands, and then pop it out to throw a few spells.

I know the miracle trainer is in Firelink, but you have to enter his covenant to get them don't you? Is it a big deal if I accept it then immediately ditch it when I get another one? I'm aiming for gravelords.

Thanks for the info on spellcasting, too. Where are the trainers to rescue? I know they're at the undead parish/burg but I'm unsure where.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Funkmaster General posted:

I've used a couple. The only indication that it's doing anything is that you get a black/purple fog around your shoulders. Supposedly it leaves a gravelord sign that people can find, but it doesn't appear to show up in your own world. I've yet to have anyone find my sign OR get killed by it, so I'm not sure how effective it is/can be.

I wonder how far from the sign those phantoms wander. They can't stick too close or it'd be entirely too obvious where the sign is.

e: On an unrelated note I love fighting the knights with rapiers because what inevitably happens is they stick me, I stick them, we both jump back, then take a swig from our flasks and repeat until one of us dies. Perfectly symmetrical violence!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't believe the sign makes phantoms. From what I understand, it makes enemies in the area you placed the sign have doubled stats, and you get half their souls (and a new eye) if any of those enemies kills them. Otherwise, if they find the sign, they can use it to reverse-summon themselves into your world (where you still get half their souls and a new eye if you kill them, otherwise they get half your souls and the sign is removed). The sign gets placed in three random players' worlds.

Oh, I was under the impression that it just made a horde of rampaging dudes in the area.

You know what? THIS is what I like best about this game. Every other game everything is wide open and everyone knows everything about it day one thanks to the internet, and we still don't know even the basics of some things. It's a complete mystery and basically the only way to actually advance is to rally in some way or another. Or, you could be a dick and ruin it for everyone. I never got to play Demon's Souls so I'm extremely glad I'm getting to play Dark Souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bad Bromance posted:

Way of the white is the newbie covenant, I don't know if they actually have any rules. I'm not too sure on invasion rules though, I think it differs by type of invasion. I think you get a humanity point if you beat a normal invader. Not sure on dying to them

I'm pretty sure the Way of White rule is "Don't Invade".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reacean posted:

It's not very obvious, but you now have a key that opens the door on the bridge (by the sun dude), that is where you can go next.

Is the game linear as to where to go even though it's open world, or is it mostly "go here if you think you won't die"? Because I've been exploring the basin and it seemed like a better way to go, but then I haven't gone through that door yet. Does it matter?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man I CANNOT find the pyromancer in the undead burg/parish. The gate never staying open no matter how many times I pull the lever doesn't help matters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why would he be there? Do you know something I don't?

I thought someone said one of the trainers was in there behind a locked door?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh no, the sorcerer guy is behind a locked door in the lower city. The pyromancer is in the depths.

Oh. Well, I can't find him either. :saddowns:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh God drat it I forgot about the door under the dragon. That's why.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ahahaha ran into the Capra demon! First hit knocked all my stamina and half my health off. The second murdered me because you can't roll past it. I guess I should explore the rest of the lower berg later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elysiume posted:

If I make a white sigil do I just...wait right there? Until someone uses it?

You can proceed through the area, but if you traverse through white light or approach a bonfire it disappears.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How are you supposed to fight the hydra? It snipes you if you come at it then at close range its shots home in and one shot you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I beat the hydra and now I'm losing to Havel because god forbid there be any consistency in his attacks and dodging the same attack at the same time yield the same result instead of dealing twice the damage and killing me. Good thing he's camping my souls though so I have no choice but to keep trying to kill him now until I get out! gently caress.

e: And while I'm at it heaven forbid me getting more than one humanity ever. That way I might kindle a bonfire!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 10, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eej posted:

Strip your armour down and just backstab him over and over?

I can't roll past his attacks sometimes. Instead I roll into his face and he smacks me down. I managed to get away, though, he got stuck on some geometry and I ran like a baby. Now I can't find the drat ladder after the Hydra but that's me and not the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You're not supposed to head up the ladder past the hydra right after killing it are you? I just got wrecked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hahahahha this game is great. I ran through the forest, chased by ghosts and NPC humans, ran to a great door, went through, then got smacked down by Sif. Who I thought was a much tinier wolf who also hosed me over. Needless to say I'm not joining the forest covenant this playthrough.

I'm too weak for the garden. Is the valley of drakes or catacombs (once I get a divine weapon) next?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 10, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dear Watson posted:

You don't need a divine weapon for the catacombs, it just makes it a little easier.

Ah, I see. Still, I'm level 24 and the guy above us said level 50 is what'll put it at easy, so I suppose not.

How much humanity are you guys seeing now? I've gotten about 10 humanity in 9 hours, half of which went to kindling bonfires. Now I'm at zero and have been for a while. Haven't been summoned more than once either.

quote:

When I killed him, I could absorb is 1h attacks with my shield, and then circle and backstab. When he switches to 2h I just rolled backwards and to the side out of range until he switched back.

I spent all my souls upgrading my Drake Sword and Winged Spear (got the Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly, I can upgrade the Winged Spear to a unique weapon with that eventually right?), so I'll try that later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rollersnake posted:

Also what is "poise" and why do I want it?

The more poise you have the less you'll be knocked around when blocking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dear Watson posted:

My first character was level 20's when I went through the catacombs, its not that bad. I actually think it is pretty cool Just find the necromancers and kill them quickly. They won't respawn and it will stop the skeletons near them from reassembling. There are about 5 or 6 necromancers throughout the combs. The first one, you basically can just run through all the skeletons to get to, he is at the first bonfire, the second one can be sniped across the gap pretty easily. After that you should have the hang of the place.

Also, at the very bottom is a pit filled with rolling spiked wheels, you can kill these pretty easy if you find the NPC Paladin Leeroy to summon, he'll do all the dirty work and help you with the black knight too, then he will help with the boss Pinwheel, but he is pretty easy solo. Paladin Leeroy rocks, since those wheels can kill VERY fast.

Thanks for the headsup! I guess I'll work my way back over there then.

Can someone repost the weapon upgrade tree? I want to see what I'll need to turn my Winged Spear into Moonlight Butterfly Angle.

quote:

If you havent rang the second bell, then valley of the drakes or the depths (below lower burg)

Haven't seen the second one yet. I assumed it was in the forest.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ah thanks, that'll be easier than I thought. Well, up to +5 anyway.

• Locked thread