Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Professor Latency posted:

This crystal halberd is the most dope thing. 300 something damage and I rip apart everything.

And I'm totally lost in Anor Londo , everywhere seems to be a dead end. I'm at the bonfire.

Head down the elevator, take a look left to what connects the walkway to the building across the chasm and walk across the leftmost one.

Get ready for a painful gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

To be fair, one area in the game is pretty much exactly what he described because the boss, area and enemies are such pieces of poor design. However, it's extremely late game before you really need to go there, so... yeah.

Lost Izalith is seriously like some kind of hellish parody of the difficulty, where it goes from "fair" to loving stupid. Pretty much every single post-Lordvessel dungeon is much worse than their earlier counterparts, it's amazing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Anyone else entirely underwhelmed by the Soul Spear? It barely does double damage of the Great Soul Arrow, and you only get four uses out of it. Now that I think about it, sorceries as a whole kind of suck in this game, since they're all inefficient except Great Soul Arrow (or Heavy Soul Arrow if you have the time for the longer startup). I guess Firestorm moving over to Pyromancy took a lot of the flash out of sorceries, since that was something cool to build up to as a final spell. Meanwhile, I don't think it's worth equipping Soul Spear at all.

The upgraded variants of Homing Soulmass and Soul Spear are probably the absolute best offensive spells in the game because of how much damage they do in a short amount of time. The strong points of Soul Spear are that it's got a larger explosion radius so it's more prone to hitting more targets and that it casts extremely, extremely fast which is vital in boss fights.

Most of the end-level sorcery spells are really, really bonkers for various reasons and if you're running a pure Sorcerer pretty much by the end of the game you'll be a really ridiculous glass cannon who blow through enemies in one shot (or a precast Homing Soulmass + one attack). The "final" spell from what I know is actually one of the best spells for clearing junk enemies since it's got twenty casts while piercing through everything, having great range while doing slightly less damage than a greater heavy missile.

Also, sorcery actually secretly has the absolute best spells in the game: It's got a spell that makes you completely invulnerable for the period of time it's active (nearly a full minute with bellowing dragoncrest ring) and a spell that makes you look like fluff decoration items so you can basically poo poo all over invaders (and enemies).

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 13, 2011

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Plot stuff:

Does anyone else think that Ceaseless Discharge is one of Izaliths daughters? :ohdear: It's completely passive until you pick up the black robes. If you read the robes item description you'll see that they belonged to another of her daughters. Poor thing is just trying to protect the resting place of her sister.
Extreme spoilers for the latter half of the game:

It's definitely that. All the demons you fight are spawned from Izalith and the witches, as Izalith loving with the chaos flames leads to all the witches becoming horrific monsters. Queelag, Queelan(?) and Quelana are the only witches who pretty much escape getting turned into batshit insane demons, and both Queelag and Queelan still get hit really hard despite apparently being on the very fringe of the blast that caused the transformation. Quelana is the last of the true witches, and (I think?) is the hollow you end up fighting right before Bed of Chaos.

Pretty much every single small sidestory that NPCs have are tragic, and there's even incredible details that hint at more of stuff like that, such as (Archives spoiler) the abominations you fight in the prison tower actually being transformed maidens, the same as Rhea. At the very bottom of the tower you'll find two of them who are non-aggressive making distinctly female crying sounds. They're also the ones that drop the unique miracles that specifically referencing being only given to the maidens.

I think out of all of the NPCs you meetonly two or three of them live through their storylines beyond the blacksmiths and merchants. Solaire, Lautrec and Onion Knight's daughter. Everybody else goes hollow, or you distinctly kill them for whatever reason. I kinda wonder if anything happens if you let Lautrec live, but I doubt it. Overall I'm not really sure what his deal is but he seems like a pretty cool dude despite the whole "killing firekeepers" deal. (I think he might actually be part of the Princess Guard covenant(?) due to the description of his armor.

Also, Solaire is the real hero of the story and you're just a chump~

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

DarkArchimedes posted:

If the Dark Wraiths were raised because of the power given to the Four Kings by Kaathe who then fell to the call of power, does that necessarily mean that the same thing will happen again? Kaathe does say that those that came before the main character were too weak.

And in turn, many of the humans that actually live seem very fundamentally flawed as we addressed earlier in the thread. Lautrec kills, Patches kills for gain, there is something very deeply weird about Petrus. The merchants are scavengers, some of whom even sell humanity they've found. Assuming Logan's actually human at the end, he goes loving batshit with the knowledge he's gained. Gotta say, what's left of humanity in Lordran isn't exactly promising.

Every single person you meet is undead. Lordran is the land of the dead. You can't even get in without being undead (according to the intro and ~Solaire~).

Also, there's no philosophical quandry because Kaathe is a really blatant moustache twirling villain who literally runs the faction that goes around killing people for humanity and teaches you how to drain people's humanity as to cast off their "shackles" which is their humanity. You don't really learn much about the either side but the clarity of Kaathe and the Dark representing the lack of humanity, life and all the other things that fire and light represent is presented pretty clearly. The Dark Lord ending is more or less "welp we found the most badass dude who can steal other people's humanity and souls while maintaining their sanity time to take over the world with our new undead god king"

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there an in-world explanation for why most of the bonfires don't need firekeepers, that I missed?

Maybe your dude owns so much that bonfires don't go out because they're the best firekeeper ever.

So ballin' that going hollow does absolutely nothing to you at all.

(also why your character is the best candidate for being the chosen one)

• Locked thread