Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
I never made it very far in Demon's Souls, but it's definitely the best challenge-to-fun ratio I've come across. So, with the hope that Dark Souls won't have a god-awful level like Valley of Defilement, I will gladly throw myself back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Another gamer falls prey to the Valley of Mistaken Perceptions

Perhaps. Although, it remains one of the few levels where dodging will roll you off a platform where you instantly die, or won't really work. In that sense, it can be applauded for stopping your dependance on a certain ability. Doesn't stop the level from sucking though.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Ah, thought you were complaining about the swamp! Yeah, 5-1 is a son of a bitch, though I still enjoyed the heck out of that level. It just takes a while to figure out the layout, and not fall off.

Well, I was. 5-1 is still worse.

However, every swamp-based level in every game ever has always sucked.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
I've gotten to the point where I can laugh at the attempts of the Havel Ring Black Knight to break through my shield, let alone 1-shot me, but Hall of the Giants is still so lame. Bizarrely, the Giant Skeletons take off more Stamina than that particular Black Knight used to do. Two of them are worse than those two healing Giant Knights just before Ornstein.

I love this game, but holy crap, they have some god-awful enemies. I really enjoyed slaughtering that one Gargoyle at the start of Anor Londo though.

Edit: also, a question: where the hell do I go to make these boss souls in to weapons? Because I have no idea.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

quote:

After killing the Pinwheel boss on my first try

In a game that has such early road-blocks as the two Gargoyles, Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon, I'd like to vote Pinwheel as the easiest boss ever. By DS' standards, he might aswell not exist; by any other game's standards, he's easier than a very similar (easy) Ocarina of Time battle. Heck, the corridor before him with all the easy to avoid spinning demons is far harder.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

What level are people doing the boss of Sen's Fortress at? I just spent a ton of time grinding the roof, going from level 39 to 43, I think, and only got summoned once. And that guy died while I wasn't looking. I think he fell off the catwalks. I managed to get two humanity and go upgrade the bonfire but never saw any chances for me to summon help, either. Can't even summon my knight NPC buddy. :(

Fight him with light armour and a 2h weapon. Aslong as you roll away from his easily avoided attacks, he's really easy. Don't roll off the relatively small platform though. Even if you go in blocking, the only way he'll kill you will be via the edges. He's literally only "hard" because of the crappy area.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

LorentzViolator posted:

As you go through the tomb before the Titanite Demon tomb, you can see him hiding high up. If that's not the one that controls them, then the last one is in the Titanite Demon tomb in a room leading horizontally off from the pit containing two skeletons. He is protected by two skeleton archers. Hope this helps!

Pretty sure the necromancers don't actually control the undead, as I know I've killed all of them. Yet, skeletons that didn't used to resurrect after 10 seconds, now do. Still, once you get killed a few (20) times in the Catacombs, you learn the fast dropping/jumping route to Pinwheel's area. And those skeletons just run after you and die.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Psyker posted:

Anor Lando snipers :emo:

All I can say is that a good shield + decent stamina makes that part really easy. They only drained my stamina when really close, and at that point they couldn't both attack me. Heck, they both died by falling off after attacking me with their swords.

But yeah, annoyingly, you're kinda screwed when trying to get on the initial walkway, or even approaching them once you do, without a good shield and END.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
I'm kinda sad; this was gearing up to be my favourite single-player (more or less) game ever.

Then I hit Lost Izalith, and it's a giant terrible design-decision. "Hey great, Bloomed-lava that makes my eyes bleed, a constant lava sound-effect that makes my ears bleed, and enemies that can jump towards you, yet still insta-kill you by landing in the opposite direction they jumped!".

Alot of people say the Capra Demon is luck-based, but that's crap. Once you know him (or fought several of him in the Demon Ruins) he's very predictable. Bounding Demons, on the other hand, will absolutely slaughter you unless you spend several failed runs making them kill each other or killing them at range, with a very good bow. If you can't do that, then enjoy an hour of bullshit as they apparentely hit/1-shot you from miles away. It's so random, that whether you're wearing absolutely nothing, or full Havel's (with enough Equip-Burden to still run the fastest you can) you may get hit for anything between 500 or 1200 health.

I was planning to go through several NG+, man. However, just in one NG+, I know those things will one-shot me no matter what.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Demitri Omni posted:

Capra Demon is totally luck based! You're lucky when you have the crystal shield and a weapon to one-shot him with!

Since the initial "learning" experiences with him, I've easily killed him with a Pyro with lovely shields and stamina, then I easily killed him with that Pyro in NG+. Didn't even have to use Pyro.

Basically, if his first attack is a basic 2-3 hit swing, block it with whatever the hell shield you have. If it's a full-on 2-hand swing, or a jump swing, move to your right or left (and run up the stairs). The jump-swing will miss, the 2-hand swing will either hit the pillars, or miss because you ran up the stairs.

The dogs will only attack once each (at the start), and any shield will save you from 2 dog attacks and the 2-3 hit combo.

Attack the dogs with one attack whenever they are close (while the Capra Demon is not winding up for a heavy-attack). If you don't have the Drake Sword, or anything like it, the dogs die in 2 hits.

If anything, Capra Demon is simply a test for later bosses, which are so much harder, and more prone to occasional bullshit.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

casual poster posted:

Oh man, gently caress the chaos witch Queffa (or whatever), I even summon maneater and get nowhere. Worst of all my drake sword keeps becoming "at risk" while I'm fighting her. gently caress. Anyone have any tips?

My memory of it is that the Drake Sword is really bad for that fight. Astora's Straight Sword, or any divine weapon, is better. Or lightning, maybe. Fire is, obviously, completely useless.

Weapons becoming at risk is not something I've ever come across with her.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Daeren posted:

:siren:LOST IZALITH STATUS UPDATE!:siren:

And yes, I know about the shortcut, I'm just being a masochist and seeing if the straight route really is that bad.

IT REALLY IS THAT BAD

...There's a shortcut?

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Join the Daughters of Chaos and feed them 30 humanity, then go into the Demon Ruins and make it past the capra demons, and yes, there is a shortcut.

Ah, completely forgot about that. Lost Izalith is the one place I'm incredibly apprehensive about in NG+. Pretty sure the Bounding Demons would one-shot me quite easily.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

sentrygun posted:

You're facing a path significantly more difficult than you should be. Considering you're a newcomer to Dark Souls, you really should go check out the spiral cliffside staircase leading up near the Firelink bonfire. That'll lead you to the area you should be going to first.

The thing with Dark Souls is that, from the get-go, even the Catacombs is fine; it's just that, you kinda need a divine or fire weapon, which you aren't likely to have at that point. With a healthy dose of perseverance, you can still go through them, still completely slaughter Pinwheel and possibly get through Tomb of Giants.

My first Knight-like character got that far at least.

Of course, that's literally the difference between DeS and DaS: you can cast everthing, yet still be as solid as a brick-wall (or atleast block like one).

It's the reason I still can't get in to DeS anyway, even though I applied myself to DaS for 2 more weeks longer than I've ever applied myself to a mostly single-player game.

gently caress Lost Izalith, but it's still a game I will gladly get to NG+5 or so.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Eddain posted:

And the item requirements are ridiculous as well. Greatshield of Artorias, 88 stability for 16 lbs or Hollow Shield +15, 85 stability for 3 lbs? Those heavy weapons are also too much, 40+ STR and poo poo. What's the point of putting a weapon in the game that you can't even effectively use until NG+, but by that point it becomes obsolete?

The difference being that the Greatshield of Artorias has more divine/fire/magic resistance than most normal shields, aswell as being 100% physical. Ultimately, Havel's Greatshield is the best all-round, but requires 50 Strength, which is pretty fair. By NG+, the strongest non-physical attacks will still go straight through your shield, probably one-shotting you. The "heaviest" shields are literally only for the lesser-attacks from any boss. Even the Basin Hydra will gently caress your shield up if all his bolts hit you.

Ultimately, the best defence is to have a 100% physical shield, with either high fire, or lightning resistence. Anything else is mostly for PvP. You'll also, generally, want less than 50% weight, so you can run or dodge if you have to. Though, that only matters against Gaping Dragon, Iron Golem and maybe Seathe or Ornstein/Smough. Every other boss is blockable, providing you aren't a moron.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Auracounts posted:

Don't open them before first striking them with your weapon.

You only need to do that in Sen's Fortress and beyond. No chests before ringing the two bells have Mimics.

quote:

Thanks! Just one more question. I'm playing off-line is it worth grinding the humanity to use the shortcut? Basically what I'm asking is how lovely is the lovely lava part and the lovely temple part?

Take it from me, Lost Izalith is the only terrible part of DaS. Anything is worth avoiding that pile of poo poo. Before going there, I assumed the extra Fire-Keeper Soul was worth it. How woefully wrong I was.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 29, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Psyker posted:

The derived storyline is that Gwyn is actually a Hollow by this point, so he's little more than insane.

By and large, he's also, technically, the villain of the game. But only because he is absolutely fearful of the power he loses. Based on the final-boss music, and the resigned way he attacks, he knows he's wrong (or at least, he knows he can't win against the combined might of man).

Edit: On the other hand, it's immensely up to debate, as he won't be alive/around to witness it, so he doesn't really benefit himself (which is exactly what this sort of thing should do).

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 29, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I didn't respond to this earlier, but I'm not sure what Ornstein you're fighting that isn't able to immediately dash around the entirety of the pillar in the time it takes me to do a single roll.

Personally, I found souped-up Ornstein easier than souped-up Smough. gently caress, even Smough's butt-slam has more range than Ornsteins. With the latter, you can just move away a second after you see him performing it. Likewise, Smough's most dangerous attack is his charge, which will hit you more often than Ornstein's most dangerous attack (long-range lightning bolt, which is pathetically easy to avoid if you're close).

Sure, Smough takes a bit of time to recover, but it's only about 3 seconds, yet each of his attacks can kill you easily. Whereas, every non-buttslam Ornstein attack is fast, but very easily blockable. As soon as I disregarded the whole "kill Ornstein first" interner-strategy was the point I killed what is, pretty much, the hardest boss in the game.

Heck, kill O+S and even Four Kings is hilariously easy.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Luckily he's not coming back! Dragon is a bitch, though.

In NG+, no amount of fire res will really do anything. With the 95 fire res shield and the fire res ring, you block the first hit, and then die to the bit that follows.

Basically, if you die to his first burst, it's very possible to make a mad dash for the stair-case on the right, but you have to do it immediately, and he'll do it right after. Other times he'll just do it whenever; annoyingly, one of the few luck-based things in this game.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Healbot posted:

Crystal Ring Shield will be a novelty item for achievement hunters come 1.04, just like the butterfly spear is right now.
I recommend consuming the Moonlight Butterfly soul instead.

As someone who, foolishly (accidentally) did this, you only get 1200 souls for it. Even if it's the first (edit: proper (tutorial + Taurus Demon don't count; too easy/basic)) boss you kill, 1200 souls is completely worthless at that stage (even if you're going for a SL 1 Pyro build).

I find it hilarious how Gaping Dragon gives more than 8 times the amount of souls that Capra Demon/Gargoyles give. In NG+, it's even more hilarious: 75k souls versus 8k or so. And it only gets better.

Sure, by SL 100, it costs 50-60k per level, but every boss beyond, and including, Gaping Dragon, offers enough for at least one level. And by NG+, it doesn't even matter for anything but SL, since one boss will be enough to purchase more (large/white) titanite than you'll ever need.

I am sad about the Crystal Ring Shield though; that poo poo was hilarious.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 5, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

lohli posted:

This will change by morning, you will make a post saying how badly you want to take the game back to the store, someone will convince you to take a break and come back to it the next day, you'll give it another go and make some more progress, and so begins the love-hate relationship.

This is completely true.

Once you complete the game, however, you'll prefer harder games, and everything will take on a new dimension.

...That's my story anyway; it's a good life.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

DarkArchimedes posted:

As someone who has fallen victim to the boiling frog scenario (slowly boil a frog, he won't notice till it's too late) with video game difficulty, I'll second this from a different perspective. I grew up with my dad's Atari and the NES and vague DOS games that were often aimless.

Now, there are a lot of flaws in those games that I recognize, and that many of them had artificial difficulty. However, I play through a massive number of games in my free time, and that amount of intake has dulled the satisfaction of completion. I still like seeing the stories and building my characters up to powerhouses, but both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls made me remember why overcoming difficult challenges was fun. Sure, there's a dent in my ottoman from where I kicked it after god knows how many Smough and Ornstein deaths, but coming out the other end of that kind of difficulty reminds you that yes, you can do it, and the next time you do it will be easier.

We aren't so different. I started playing games in the NES era; SMB3 was the only game I had for 2-3 years, and that was hard for a month, then really easy. Then I play it on Gameboy Advance 15 years later, and it's hard as gently caress after the first 3 worlds. When you're older, you're better equipped for games that require patience and timing, but don't write off your young experiences. You simply replace patience with insane determination to surpass the god-drat awesome bastard/cunting thing in your life. School games would always be fun, but nothing challenged you so much as that one game/level. Plus, if you played with a friend, it meant you could gloat over them for a week or so.

O+S was the hardest thing I've fought since that first Mine level (edit: no wait, that robot boss in DKC3) in DKC. Has a strategy, but holy gently caress does that strategy suck sometimes. Week-long gloating was so worth it.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 5, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Nakar posted:

You're much safer close to the Hydra; the head slams seem incredibly dangerous but they're actually super weak and easy to block. Stand in some shallow water near the hydra, block, and then attack the nearest head when it does its head slam. You should be fine after that.

If you angle the camera down, you'll be able to see where the waterline drops off. You're safe wading in a ways.

Stay close, yes. After a few failings though, you can quite easily work out the timing on its water bursts. Or even, listen to it: as soon as you hear a sort-of water-spurt sound, dodge (maybe a second after the sound). Once you get it down, you'll never be touched by the Hydra again. Incidentally, the Basin Hydra works the same way, except it's always facing you. The Ash-Lake Hydra's sound does give you enough time to spin and block, but you're probably better off running and dodging, as blocking will still take a chunk of HP off.

VVVV
As long as you have a 100% shield, and 20 or so stamina, the Ash-Lake Hydra head hits will literally hit as much as the Basin one; each combo will kill each head just as quickly too. No idea about multiple heads hitting though, as that never happened to me in both encounters.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 5, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I feel that dark souls is way, way harder and has far less "easy way outs" such as magic and moongrass farming.

The only part of demon souls I can think was more difficult was the Fire demon, but that's because the fight was total bullshit. "Lol I get random invulnerability frames half the time and I can chain attack you to death if I get one hit on you."

To be fair though, you can combust the first gargoyle long before the second joins the fray.

However, while Pyromancy can cheese some bosses, you ultimately need to go half and half for most bosses. Queelag is literally immune to fire spells, as is Ceaseless Discharge, and due to the short range, you still have to dodge enemy attacks to damage them safely.

Definitely the first game I've come across in recent years that perfectly melded magic and melee. Neither gets you far without some form of combination (that includes Miracles).

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 5, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

oneliquidninja posted:

Iron Flesh trivializes most of Dark Souls.

Nito, Seath, and Four Kings where all retardedly easy. I literally spammed R1 to kill the first two and did the same with Four Kings but with Iron Flesh going. I guess Nito has some kinda toxin and apparently Seath can curse you but neither of these seemed to play a part in the fights. In fact, Nitos AoE I thought was nice because it would wipe out or at least knock down all his skeletons.

The only one of the four lords that was remotely hard was Bed of Chaos and that was only because of the learning curve on the fight.

Sadly I think Moonlight Butterfly is the most interesting boss fight in the whole game followed by Qualleg and Gaping Dragon (which are the only fights that require some dodging and pattern recognition). Everything else felt pretty trivial.

Nito is the easiest fight in the game, even easier than Pinwheel. Four Kings is also easy, as you can still constantly attack even if they hit you; no poise needed. In my experience though, even with Iron Flesh, Seath's breath attack shot straight through unless you had decent curse-resist gear. I ended up having to stop using Iron Flesh, and running behind when I knew he'd use his 180 breath.

Hardest fight I ever had (aside from O+S) was Bed of Chaos, simply because if you didn't lure his double swipe attack, he would instantly kill you, and even if you did, the bit you were supposed to jump on to was obscured, so you'd always jump on to what you assumed was the path, only to find it curved more than you realised. Kinda ironic that his two "wings" aren't remotely relevant.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

oneliquidninja posted:

Then again, maybe my opinion is biased. I did a lot more co-op in Dark so it may have trivialized a lot of things. But the last half of the game I didn't feel the need to co-op because the fights just didn't have enough of a learning curve to justify calling in back up.

And in that sense, my opinion is biased, as I'm European and we got Demon's Souls a year or so later than everyone else. Which made it easier to come across helpful in-game player messages, but also left us susceptible to trolling messages and the internet being fairly dated and useless. Whereas, with Dark Souls, every country was as stumped as the next guy, as it had to, essentially, be worked out by the individual player.

Having to learn Capra Demon/Queelag/Gaping Dragon on your own is so much more thrilling, and you often get to a point where you've learnt so much that can ace each boss on rerolls or NG+, both of which I did.

Or even to the point that you fight O+S so much, that Smough first and Ornstein second is actually easier, to the individual player.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 5, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Pyromancer is a good start but so is priest. Priest has healing magic already. Pyromancer has some fireballs so you can brute force your way through your issues. After two or three hours of play any of the starting characters could be doing anything though.

My first playthrough was as a Priest, my second was as a Pyromancer. Let me just say that the default Heal spell is useless midfight, and you'll mostly be melee which kinda sucks. Whereas, a Pyromancer will be magic and melee. The two Gargoyles are hilariously easy as Pyro, as is every boss except Queelag, as she's immune to fire (as is Ceaseless Discharge, but it can be cheesed).

However, it is possible that I only found Pyro easy because I knew every boss (from countless melee-only fights) up to O+S. As Pyro, I found every boss that I didn't know after O+S to be easy though. It's certainly challenging to use your magic sparingly, but once you get that down, Pyro is definitely one of (if not the) most powerful/versatile classes/routes.

Er, I know every class can be any class, but that doesn't become apparent until fairly late if it's a first playthrough.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 19, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
It's been 6 months since I played Dark Souls, but after trying TERA, I can't get in to it because Dark Souls had the most gloriously tightened controls. So, damnit, I'm gonna play through DS again (this time remembering not to kill Quelagg's sister), with the same character build as the one I completed it 6 months ago. Now to see if this is one of those things you never truly forget...

Honestly though, Dark Souls changed my life. Before DS, I hated challenging games, now I prefer them completely. Unfortunately, as a result, alot of games I once loved are now unplayable because they're too loving easy.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 12, 2012

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
For the last few weeks, I've played Demon's Souls. I must state that the first game is so much more bearable after the second. Which seems unusual, but Dark Souls is literally the perfect (gamer's) game. It's hard to think of, but playing Demon's Souls has increased my love of Dark Souls, since Demon's Souls is riddled with bugs. The dual Maneater boss was the hardest since I'd dodge-roll, and constantly get stuck in a pillar (or behind) I couldn't get out of except for instant death. Which also happened for several other bosses.

Dark Souls didn't have any of that.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see a sequel improve on its original in every single way, I become ecstatic. So few sequels do such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Stack VIT stuff, stack poise items, take off the shield. Run straight the gently caress up there, run all the way over to the archer on the RIGHT (not left) and do whatever you need to get rid of him.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think they actually moved the right archer further to the left, since before, I was able to take out the right archer without being in the line of fire of the left archer. Now, it's somewhat of a crap-shoot.

• Locked thread